WEST MIDLANDS REGION

HEREFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL (UA)

ARMS: Gules on a Fesse wavy between in chief a Lion passant guardant Argent and in base a Herefordshire Bull's Head caboshed proper a Bar wavy Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion rampant Gules holding in the sinister claw a Fleece Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion guardant Or gorged with a Wreath of Hops fructed proper and on the sinister a Talbot Argent gorged with a Collar Or charged with three Apples proper.

Motto 'PULCHRA TERRA DEI DONUM' - This fair land is the gift of God.
Granted 28th February 1946, to the former Herefordshire County Council. Transferred to the present Herefordshire County Council by Order in Council in 1997.

In 1974 Herefordshire was merged with neighbouring Worcestershire to form the relatively short-lived County of Hereford and Worcester. On 1st April 1998 it was split out again, in the form of a unitary authority, with broadly the same borders as before.

herefordshire cc arms

The red background is taken form the arms of the City of Hereford and also represents the red earth of Herefordshire. The silver lion is from the arms of the City of Hereford, and in base is a Herefordshire Bull's head. The silver and blue wave represents the River Wye.
The crest is based on the arms of the Borough of Leominster, which feature a rampant lion holding a lamb and is a reference to the importance of agriculture to the county.
The gold Lion is that of England, differenced by a garland of hops around his neck. The talbot is taken from the arms of the Talbot family, Marcher Lords of Shrewsbury and Viscounts of Hereford. For difference he wears a gold collar charged with apples, an important product of the county.


SHROPSHIRE COUNCIL (UA)

ARMS: Erminois three Piles Azure two issuant from the chief and one in base each charged with a Leopard's Face Or.

Motto 'FLOREAT SALOPIA' - May Shropshire flourish.
Granted 18th June 1896.

Shropshire Council was created in 2009, a unitary authority taking over from the previous county council and five district councils. The Borough of Telford and Wrekin has been a separate unitary authority since 1998 but continues to be included in the ceremonial county.

shropshire cc arms

The leopards' faces in these arms were adopted by the County Council in 1895 from the Borough of Shrewsbury. It is only in the inclusion of the ermine that the County arms differ from those of the Borough. The heads appear on the fifteenth century seal of the Corporation but their origin is unknown. They may have been derived from the Royal Arms, or from the Arms of De La Pole, Earls of Suffolk in the fourteenth century, or arms of some local family.
The heads are often referred to as "the loggerheads". This originates presumably in the practice of carving some such motif on the head of the log used as a battering ram.


STAFFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Chevron Gules a Stafford Knot of the first on a Chief Azure a Lion passant guardant of the field.
CREST: Issuant out of a Mural Crown proper a Stafford Knot Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion reguardant Gules crowned with a Ducal Coronet Or and on the sinister side a Gryphon reguardant Or.

Motto 'THE KNOT UNITES'.
Granted 31st January 1931.

staffordshire cc arms

The red chevron on gold is from the arms of the De Stafford family, and the knot is their badge.
The crest combines a mural crown, symbol of civic government, and the Stafford knot.
The supporters are also Stafford badges, they are shown looking backwards, both for difference and as a symbol that they look back into the past.


WARWICKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Bear erect Argent muzzled of the first collared and chained Or supporting a ragged Staff of the second the chain reflexed over the back and en­circling the Staff on a Chief of the third three Cross-crosslets of the first; The Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Gold.

Motto 'NON SANZ DROICT' - Not without right.
Granted 7th July 1931.

warwickshire cc arms

The bear and ragged staff have long been associated with Warwickshire. The origins of these emblems are lost in the distant past, but have been associated with the Earls of Warwick since at least as early as the 14th century. William Dugdale in the 17th century, recalls that the legendary Arthgallus, an Britsh Earl of Warwick and knight of King Arthur's Round Table, thought that his name came from the Welsh "artos" or bear. He also suggested that the ragged staff was chosen because Morvidus, Earl of Warwick, killed a giant with the broken branch of a tree. These claims cannot be supported and Dugdale was just recalling medieval legends. However, there is no doubt that the bear and the ragged staff were first used by the Beauchamp family, who became Earls of Warwick in 1268, as a badge or mark of identity in to addition to their own coat of arms. At first the emblems seem to have been used independently. In 1387 Thomas Beauchamp II (Earl from 1369 to 1402) owned a bed of black material embroidered with a golden bear and silver staff, which is the earliest known occurrence of the two emblems together. The bear and ragged staff have been used by subsequent holders of the Earldom of Warwick, the Dudleys, the Grevilles and are borne as a crest by the present Earl. Over the centuries they have also come to be associated with the county, and used as a badge 1st Warwickshire Militia regiment and the Warwickshire Constabulary and the Warwickshire County Council obtained the permission to adopt the bear and ragged staff for their common seal in 1907. The three cross-crosslets are taken from the arms of the Beauchamps, who were earls of Warwick from 1268 to 1449. They are perhaps the most famous of all the families which have held the earldom of Warwick, and this together with the world-wide fame of the Beauchamp Chapel in St Mary’s Church in Warwick makes the inclusion of their arms in the County’s armorial bearings particularly appropriate.
The motto, in Norman-French, is that of William Shakespeare, without doubt the county’s most famous son.


WORCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent issuant from a Mount on a Base [wavy] barry wavy of four Argent and Azure a Pear Tree proper fructed Sable; the Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Or.

Granted 21st May 1947, to the previous County Council.

Worcestershire was merged with Herefordshire on 1st April 1974 to form the County of Hereford and Worcester. On 1st April 1998 the County was newly constituted and Hereford and Worcester abolished.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce without permission of Worcestershire County Council.

worcestershire cc arms

The pear-tree has long been an emblem of the County and three black pears appear in the arms of the City of Worcester. These arms are said to have been adopted to mark the visit of Queen Elizabeth I to Worcester, when the loyal townsfolk transplanted a pear-tree under fruit from its orchard to the centre of the City. The blue and white waves undoubtedly refer to the River Severn.


BIRMINGHAM CITY COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Quarterly first and fourth Azure a Bend of five Lozenges conjoined Or second and third per pale indented Or and Gules over all a Cross Ermine thereon a Mitre proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure issuant from a Mural Crown Or charged with a Rose Gules charged with another Argent barbed and seeded proper a dexter Arm embowed the hand holding a Hammer all proper; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Female Figure (representing) Art) proper vested Argent wreathed round the temples with Laurel Vert tied by a Riband Gules holding in the sinister hand resting on the Shield a Book bound also Gules and in the dexter a Painter's Palette Or with two Brushes proper and on the sinister side a Man habited as a Smith (representing Industry) holding in the dexter hand resting on the Shield a Cupel and in the sinister a Hammer resting on an Anvil all proper.
BADGE: A Roundel per pale indented Argent and Sable within a Cogwheel Gules between each pair of Cogs a Bezant.

Motto 'FORWARD'
Granted 10th May 1977, to replace those granted on 3rd April 1889 and the supporters granted on 4th April 1889. These previous arms, crest and supporters were re-exemplified 31st August 1936..

The City of Birmingham was extended in 1974 by the inclusion of the Borough of Sutton Coldfield.

birmingham city arms The 1974 Arms
old birmingham city arms The 1889 Arms
birmingham badge
Badge

The arms in the quarters of the shield are two distinct coats used by the de Bermingham family, who held the manor in the 13th century (and perhaps from the time of the Conquest) until 1527, when Edward de Birmingham was deprived of his property by John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, by means of a false charge of riot. The bendwise lozenges appear on the shield of an effigy in the church of St. Martins-in-the-Bull Ring, believed to be William de Bermingham. Later members of the family seemed to have quartered the two coats in one shield, but with the quarters reversed. This order of the coats was used by the City for difference. The 1889 arms orginally had an ermine fess from the arms of the Calthorpe family, Lords of the Manor of Edgbaston. This has now been replaced by the ermine cross and mitre, from the arms of the Borough of Sutton Coldfield. This is a reference to John Harman or Vesey, Bishop of Exeter. He was born in Sutton and obtained my advantages for the Town.
The mural crown, arm and hammer refer to civic government and industry. The Tudor rose alludes to Henry VIII, who granted Sutton Coldfield a Charter in 1528.
The figures (reversed from the former achievement) represent art and industry. The cupel refers to the jewellery quarter and the anvil refers to the tradition of heavy industry.


BROMSGROVE DISTRICT COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Vert a Crozier Or and a Connecting Rod in saltire threaded by a Sickle the handle in base proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Grassy Mount within a Grove of Beech Trees all proper a Boar statant Vert armed and unguled Or.
BADGE: A Crozier Or and a Connecting Rod in saltire interlaced by a Sickle the handle in base Gold.

Motto 'BY SERVICE WE GOVERN'.
Arms and Crest granted 12th November 1975. Badge granted 10th July 1989.

The Bromsgrove District was formed by the amalgamation of the Bromsgrove Urban District and the Bromsgrove Rural District.

bromsgrove dc cc arms
bromsgrove udc emblem
Emblem used by Bromsgrove UDC

The green background, like that of the Bromsgrove RDC arms, refers to the extensive Green Belt and rural areas. The golden Crozier recalls the close connections of much of the District of times past with the Bishops of Worcester, in particular, the east side of the District where there was a Bishop's Palace at Alvechurch much frequented by Bishop Latimer. The connecting rod represents modern industry - particularly the motor industry and the great forging works in the town and the sickle is represents ancient industry - this in Bromsgrove town was the manufacture of nails, but scythes and sickles were manufactured in the west of the District, the water-powered industry being centred upon Belbroughton.
The beech trees represent Frankley Beeches the well known landmark on the northern boundary of the District with Birmingham. Within the trees, depicted green with golden tusks and hooves, is the famous Bromsgrove Boar, used as an emblem by the Bromsgrove UDC, and the subject of medieval myth when the town stood in a forest.


CANNOCK CHASE DISTRICT COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Barry of eight Vert and Sable a Stag's Head caboshed between the attires a Hunting Horn stringed in chief three Stafford Knots in fess Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert out of a Circlet on a Mount Vert in front of an Oak Tree proper fructed Or a Horse passant resting the dexter forehoof on a Cross potent quadrate charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Heraldic Tiger Sable charged on the shoulder with the Astronomical sign for Mars Or and on the sinister side a Lion Sable charged on the shoulder with a Thunderbolt Or.
BADGE: A Stafford Knot pendent therefrom by the strings a Hunting Horn Or.

Motto 'LABOR IN VENATU' - Work in the Chase.
Granted 3rd December 1975.

The Cannock Chase District was formed by the amalgamation of the Cannock Urban District, the Rugeley Urban District and the Parish of Brindley Heath from the Lichfield Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

cannock chase dc arms

The green and black bars, like those in the arms of the Cannock UDC, indicate the coal seams beneath Cannock Chase, symbolized by the stag's head and hunting horn, both seen in the arms of the Cannock RDC. The three Stafford Knots represent the three communities of Cannock, Hednesford and Rugeley.
The green circlet and the oak tree, as in the crest of Cannock UDC, represents Castle Ring, an Iron Age earthwork, and the Forest. The horse recalls Rugeley's ancient Horse Fair and the red fleur-de-lis ("rouge lys") plays on its name. The cross, from the arms of the Bishoprics of Lichfield and Coventry, alludes to the purchase of the manor of Cannock by the then united See.
The heraldic tiger, bearing the sign of Mars, for iron, is from the heraldry of the Pagets, Marquesses of Anglesey, whose ironworks supplemented the early coalmining industry. The lion is from the arms of the National Coal Board, and bears a thunderbolt referring to the modern electrical and electronic industries.
The previous Cannock motto, taken from Virgil may be translated as "Work in the Chase".


COVENTRY CITY COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Vert an Elephant statant bearing on his back a Castle triple-towered and domed Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Cat statant guardant proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Eagle wings elevated and addorsed Sable langued and legged Gules and on the sinister side a Phoenix wings elevated and addorsed Or langued Gules the Flames proper.

Motto 'CAMERA PRINCIPIS' - The Prince's Chamber.
Arms and crest recorded at the Visitations of 1619 and 1682 (on the latter occasion a banner charged with three ostrich feathers was allowed on the centre tower of the castle). Arms and crest confirmed in above form and supporters granted 10th February 1959.

The City of Coventry was formed by the amalgamation of the former City of Coventry and part of the Meriden Rural District.

coventry city arms

The right to use arms was conferred by Edward III, probably at the time of the incorporation of the City in 1345, but a corporate seal was in use prior to this date. The circular seal also showed the elephant and castle and probably had its origin as a mark for woollens, tammies, and caps exported to the East, for which, prior to this period, Coventry was famous. The elephant as a symbol signifies strength and sagacity, while the castle signifies strength and security. One theory put forward by a local historian is that the elephant had a religious symbolism. The elephant is seen, not only as a beast so strong that he can carry a tower, but also as a symbol of Christ's redemption of the human race. The animal, according to one of the 'Bestiary' stories, is supposed to sleep standing, leaning against a tree. These 'Bestiary' stories also had it that the foe of the elephant was the dragon, who devoured newly-born elephants, the tempter for the foe. The elephant, then, is a dragon slayer and is associated with a tree. In the early seals of Coventry, from which the arms derives, are shown, on one side, the combat between another dragon-slayer, the Archangel Michael, and the dragon. On the other is the elephant and castle. This local historian, Mary Dormer Haris, points out that the tree has been dropped out of the armorial bearings of the city, and it is a tree from which Coventry almost certainly took its name - Cofa's tree. In the medieval mind, the elephant suggested the eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and did not merely symbolise strength. The colours of red and green are the traditional colours of the city dating back at least to 1441.
The cat, which is sometimes described as a cat-o-mountain or wild cat, is generally considered to symbolise vigi­lance.
The Black Eagle is that of Lord Leofric, who on the site of modern Coventry founded a monastery in 1043 with his wife Godgifu, famous in the legend as Lady Godiva. The phoenix arising from the flames represents the new Coventry reborn out of the ashes of the old and its renewal after having been destroyed in the blitz.
The motto probably has reference to the early part of the fourteenth century when Edward, the Black Prince, as Lord of the Manor of Cheylesmore, was closely associated with the City. It is from this Prince that the three feathers are derived which are sometimes shown in conjunction with the civic arms.


DUDLEY METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Per chevron Or and Gules a Chevron Azure between in chief two Lions rampant per pale Gules and Vert each supporting a Beacon fitted proper and in base a Salamander reguardant fitted proper on the Chevron between two Pieces of Chain each in chevron Or a Roundel barry wavy Argent and Azure between two Pears slipped and leaved Or.
CREST: Upon a Mount Vert rising from a Mural Crown Or charged with a Stafford Knot Azure a representation of Sedgley Beacon Tower proper between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper, Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: To the dexter a Canon of the Premonstratensian Order holding in his exterior hand a closed Book proper and to the sinister an Angel proper winged Argent habited Gules girded and holding in the exterior hand a Mural Crown Or.
BADGE: A Castle triple towered proper suspended by a Chain from the central tower a golden Fleece proper each flanking tower charged with an Escallop Sable.

Motto 'UNITY AND PROGRESS'
Granted 10th June 1975.

The Metropolitan Borough of Dudley was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Dudley, the Borough of Halesowen and the Borough of Stourbridge. In 1966 part of the Urban District of Amblecote, the Urban District of Brierley Hill, the Urban District of Coseley and the Urban District of Sedglely had been added to Dudley. At the same time the remainder of Amblecote was added to Stourbridge.

dudley mbc arms
dudley badge
Badge

The chevron is taken from the arms of the Coseley UDC and resembles the bridge in the arms of the Borough of Stourbridge. The pears are also taken from the Stourbridge arms to represent Worcestershire, and the heraldic fountain in the centre from those of Brierley Hill UDC to represent the ancient fords in the Manor of Kingswinford. The chain is taken from the Stourbridge and Halesowen arms and represents the chain, nail and anchor making industries which were once common throughout the area. The two lions taken from the Borough of Halesowen arms and the salamander is taken from the County Borough of Dudley arms. This is the traditional emblem of the smith and thus symbolises the metal working industry. The fired beacons held by the lions are taken from the arms of Coseley UDC and Brierley Hill UDC, and also allude to local industries.
The mural crown denoted the Distrct's status as a Borough. Sedgely beacon appeared on the device used by the Sedgely UDC as well as in the Coseley crest. The roses refer to the briars once common in the area and from which Brierley Hill derives its name. The Stafford knot refers to Staffordshire, the original county of a large part of the area and appered in several of the former authority's arms.
The Canon, like that of the former supporter of Halesowen, is of the Premonstratensian Order which founded Halesowen Abbey. The angel, like that of the former Dudley supporter, is taken from the arms of the Earls of Dudley.


EAST STAFFORDSHIRE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Chevron barry wavy Argent and Azure fimbriated Gules between three Towers proper on a Chief Azure between two Fleurs-de-Lis Argent a demi-Sun issuant Or charged with a Stafford Knot Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules in front of a Garb Or enfiling a Mural Crown proper a Bugle Horn mouth to the dexter Gules stringed Sable. Mantled Gules lined Argent.
SUPPORTERS: Dexter a Lion Or resting its interior rear foot on a Barrel proper sinister a Deer proper attired and unguled Or resting the interior hoof on a like Barrel.

Motto 'STRENGTH THROUGH UNITY'.
Granted 8th June 1973?.

The Borough of East Staffordshire was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Burton-upon-Trent, the Uttoxeter Urban District, the Tutbury Rural District and the Uttoxeter Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

east staffordshire bcarms

The white and blue waves, from the arms of the County Borough of Burton-upon-Trent, represent the rivers Trent and Dove, and the towers allude to Tutbury. The rising sun depicts the direction "East" and the Staffordshire knot represents the County. The fleurs-de-lys, also from the Burton arms, are from the arms of the Bass family, Barons Burton, and also refer to the dedication of the Abbey to St. Mary.
The wheatsheaf represents the whole rich agricultural area around Uttoxeter, and the mural crown, symbol of civic government, is common to the crests of Burton and the County Council. The hunter's horn symbolises Needwood Forest.
The lion is one of the County Council and England Supporters and the buck denotes the parkland and forest of East Staffordshire. The barrels or tuns are a further reference to Burton, the centre of British brewing.


LICHFIELD DISTRICT COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Vert an eagle displayed wings inverted perched on a Stafford knot Or and charged on the breast with three arrows barbs downwards two in saltire and one in pale proper banded gules on a chief Or a pale ermine between two chevrons gules.
CREST: Out of a coronet composed of four ears of wheat and as many acorns leaved set alternately upon a rim Or, a demi stag sable charged on the shoulder with a sun in splendour gold, mantled vert doubled Or.

Motto 'ORA ET LABORA' - Pray and work.
Granted 20th January 1964, to the Lichfield Rural District Council.

The Lichfield District was formed by the amalgamation of the City of Lichfield and the Lichfield Rural District, except the Parish of Brindley Heath now in the Cannock Chase District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

lichfield dc arms

The gold Stafford knot on a green background represents rural Staffordshire. The Roman eagle, also in gold, refers to the important Roman historical associations of the district (e.g. Watling Street, Ryknild Street and Letocetum, which gave its name to Lichfield). The eagle is also common to the arms of the Paget and Biddulph families, and was also the emblem of Leofric, Earl of Mercia, who died at Kings Bromley in 1057. The sheaf of arrows is from the arms of the Peel family of Drayton, to which belonged Sir Robert Peel. The chief is derived from the arms of the Borough of Lichfield, it consists of a panel of ermine between two panels of gold bearing the red chevron of the Staffords, which is the basis of the County Arms and also appears in the arms of the Lane family of Kings Bromley.
The special coronet of ears of wheat and acorns is of a type formerly assigned to Rural District Councils. The black stag alludes to the coalfields in the Cannock Chase area. On its shoulder is the sun, which, as the source of light and power, is common to the arms of the National Coal Board and the Central Electricity Generating Authority.


NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME BOROUGH COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

*ARMS: Azure issuant from a base barry wavy of four Argent and of the first charged with three Fishes naiant proper a Mount Vert thereon a Castle of three towers in chief two Stafford Knots Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure issuant from a Mount Vert an Oak Tree fructed proper the trunk enfiled by a Stafford Knot Or between two Kids saliant respectant also proper.
*SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion guardant Sable each supporting a Scythe and gorged with a Steel Chain pendent therefrom an open Book proper edged and garnished Or.
*BADGE: A Stafford Knot ensigned with a Castle of three towers Or.

Motto 'CONSTANTIA SCIENTIA PRUDENTIA' - By steadfastness, knowledge and foresight.
Granted 1975.

The Borough of Newcastle-under-Lyme was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Newcastle-under-Lyme, the Kidsgrove Urban District and the Newcastle-under-Lyme Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

newcastle-under-lyme bc arms
new castle under lyme badge
Badge

The castle, waves and fishes are from the arms of the former Borough, and the two Stafford Knots indicate the other two former Staffordshire authorities. The castle and knots are in gold on blue, the colours of the Earldom of Chester, whose banner was seen in the former Borough crest.
The oak tree and kids are derived from the device of the former Kidsgrove UDC, which consisted of kids gambolling in a grove of trees. The gold Stafford knot is a further reference to the County.
The black lions with scythes over their shoulders, which supported the former Newcastle shield, are from the heraldry of the Sneyd family. The scythe or 'sned' (a pun on their name) also appeared in the device of the Newcastle RDC and is a charge in the arms of the University of Keele, which is in the former Rural District. The open books hanging by steel chains about the lions' necks, represent the District's important educational amenities, especially the University of Keele, linked with the engineering industry.
The motto combines 'CONSTANTIA' from the motto of the former Borough, 'PRUNDENTIA' from that of the Rural District Council and 'SCIENTIA' in reference to the University of Keele.


NORTH WARWICKSHIRE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules two ragged Staves conjoined in saltire Argent between in chief a Kestrel volant afrontee proper in fess two Garbs and in base a Sun Or charged with a Cogwheel Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a demi Lion per pale Argent and Or gorged with a Collar vairy Or and Gules and holding in the paws a Cross moline Gules a Fleur-de-Lys Argent between two Mullets Or pierced Gules.
BADGE: In front of two ragged Staves conjoined in saltire Argent a Mullet of eight points Gules charged with a Bear's Head couped Argent muzzled Gules.

Motto 'GOVERN YET OBEY'.
Granted 5th February 1976?.

The Borough of North Warwickshire was formed by the amalgamation of the Atherstone Rural District and part of the Meriden Rural District.

north warwickshire bc arms
north warwichshire badge
Badge

The shield is based on the ragged staff and red background of the Warwickshire CC arms. Here two white ragged staves are joined to suggest the union of two former Warwick­shire authorities. The kestrel has developed a reputation as "the bird of the Motorways", which it has learned to frequent, and is an apt reminder of the important position of North Warwickshire in the modern motorway system. The two golden wheatsheaves, taken from the Atherstone RDC seal, indicate the two rural districts from which the Borough is formed, and the importance of agriculture. The golden sun charged with a cogwheel symbolizes the energy-producing and engineering industries. The sun, the source of all energy, is featured with that connation in the arms of the National Coal Board.
The wreath and mantling are in the Warwickshire colours, the basic red and white of the shield. The white fleur-de-lys is from the heraldry of the Digby family of Coleshill, set between the two gold mullets with red centres, taken from the shield of the Clinton family, which was borne by Maxstoke Priory. The half white and half gold lion is from the arms of the Dilkes, seated at Maxstoke Castle for the last three centuries. His collar is from the arms of the Ferrers family whose tombs are in Merevale Church and whose arms were borne by their Abbey. The red cross moline is of the Dugdales of Merevale and Blythe Hall of which family was the great herald and antiquary, Sir William Dugdale.
The badge consists of the two ragged staves from the shield surmounted by an eight-pointed star representing the North Star and charged with the Warwickshire bear's head. The device thus pictorially suggests North Warwickshire.
The motto is adapted from a line in "The Barrens' Wars", by the local poet Michael Drayton, a native of Hartshill and a friend of Shakespeare. The full line is "As all did govern, yet all did obey".


NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH BOROUGH COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

*ARMS: Per chevron barry wavy of six Azure and Argent and Vert in chief two Fleurs-de-Lis Or and in base three Ribands in pall reversed tied with a triple Bow Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Mural Crown Or charge with a Cog-wheel between two Lozenges Sable a demi Bear Argent muzzled Gules collared and chained Or supporting a Staff flying therefrom a Pennon Gules charged with a a ragged Staff Argent.

Motto 'UNITED TO ACHIEVE'.
Granted ?.

The Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Nuneaton and the Bedworth Urban District.

nuneaton and bedworth bc arms

The blue and white waves are from the arms of the Borough of Nuneaton and are illustrative of the original name of the Town 'Etone' or 'Eaton', town by the running water, in allusion to its position on the banks of the River Anker. The two gold fleur-de-lis, emblems of the Blessed Virgin Mary to whom the ancient Nuneaton Priory or Nunnery which was attached to the famous Order of Fontrevrault was dedicated. The three white ribbons on green are from the Bedworth UDC arms, in which they represent the union of its three parishes and central road pattern.
The mural crown and black diamonds, as found in both the former Nuneaton and Bedworth arms, is a symbol if civic authority and coal mining. The black cogwheel is for for engineering and the bear and ragged staff on the pennon is from the arms of the Warwickshire CC.
The motto combines those of Nuneaton "Pret d'accomplir" - Ready to Achieve and of Bedworth "United to Serve".


REDDITCH BOROUGH COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Argent on a Cross engrailed Vert a Needle point downwards of the field eyed and ensigned with an Ancient Crown Or in the first quarter a Salmon-Fly in bend proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a demi-Cogwheel thereon a Kingfisher rising proper an Arrow fesswise Or.

Motto 'REDDITE DEO' - Render unto God or Redditch for God.
Granted 15th December 1943, to the Redditch Urban District Council. Arms transfered and new crest granted 2nd March 1984.

The Borough of Redditch is coterminious with the former Redditch Urban District.

redditch bc arms

The white background is taken from the habit of the monks of the Cistercian Abbey of Bordesley, founded in 1136 by the Empress maud, since Redditch grew from a hamlet near this religious foundation. The green colour of the cross is suggestive of holly, chosen because the Abbey and the present Parish Church were dedicated to St Stephen, whose festival falls within the Christmas season. The green also commemorates the former Feckenham Forest, within which the Borough stands. The ancient crown alludes to King John who made the forest "Royal", and to his grandmother the Empress Maud. The needle and the salmon-fly mark the principal industries.
The original crest had a swift, fastest of British birds, with with the cogwheel refered to the manufacture of aeroplane and motorcar accesories. After Redditch became a Borough on the 15th May 1980, the swift was changed to a kingfisher to reflected the growing association between Redditch and the most attractive of birds. The arrow is an allusion to the River Arrow, which flows through the town and is also a symbol of the speed and directness of modern road and air transport.
The motto is a quotation from Mark Chapter XII, Verse 17; "Reddite quae sunt Caesaris, Caesari; et quae Dei sunt, Deo" which means "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's".


RUGBY BOROUGH COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

ARMS: Per chevron engrailed Azure and Or in chief a Bezant charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Griffins' Heads erased Or and in base a Bear erect Sable collared and supporting a ragged Staff Gules all within a Bordure Vert charged with eight Bezants.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Thunderbolt Or the Flames proper charged with a Wheel Sable between two Lions Gambs erased Or each holding a Date branch fructed proper.

Motto 'FLOREAT RUGBEIA MAIOR' - May Greater Rugby flourish.
Granted 15th March 1976.

The Borough of Rugby was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Rugby and the Rugby Rural District.

rugby bc arms

The arms are based on those of the former Borough of Rugby with additions. These in turn were largely based upon the arms used the Rugby School, being those granted to its founder, Lawrence Sheriff in 1559. He was a wealthy grocer in the time of Elizabeth I and a native of the town. The bear and ragged staff is from the arms of the Warwickshire CC and the eight bezants on the green bordure each represent five of the forty parishes of the former Rugby RDC.
The thunderbolt, in modern heraldry the symbol of electricity, stands for the great firms of the electrical industry which are centred in Rugby, and may also be taken as a reminder of the Government wireless station. The wheel represents mechanical industries.


SANDWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Per saltire Vert and Or four Fers de Moline counterchanged in fess point a Fountain.
CREST: Issuing out of a Saxon Crown per pale Or and Vert a demi Stag Argent semy of Mullets and Fleurs de Lys Azure attired Or holding between the forelegs a Caduceus the staff proper winged Or and entwined by two Serpents Vert; Mantled Vert and Azure doubled Or and Argent.

Motto 'UNITY AND PROGRESS'.
Granted 4th July 1974.

The Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Warley and the County Borough of West Bromwich.

sandwell mbc arms

The green and gold "per saltire" division of the shield derives from the arms of the County Borough of Warley. The fers de moline or millrinds are drawn from the arms of County Borough of West Bromwich, and intended in those, and in the present design, to stand for local iron and brass foundries, and industrial activity generally. The heraldic fountain, is an heraldic symbol for water, and hence in conjunction with the gold sections of the shield makes an allusion to the name of Sandwell.
The mantling repeats the tinctures of the mantling pertaining to West Bromwich's arms, and also the tinctures, green and gold, of the mantling of the arms of Warley. The Saxon crown appears as part of the crest of Warley, and is here shown in the colours of its shield, gold and green. The stag is from the crest of West Bromwich and supports a Caduceus, the latter in heraldry being a device associated with industry and commercial enterprise. The mullets and fleurs de lys on the body of the stag, blue on silver, are a reminder of Sandwell Hall itself, deriving from the arms of West Bromwich and ultimately from the arms of the Earls of Dartmouth, who lived at Sandwell Hall.


SOLIHULL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (WEST MIDLANDS)

ARMS: Argent within two Barrulets Gules between in chief a Griffin passant Sable and in base a Hurt thereon a Fleur-de-Lys Argent a Greyhound courant Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Sable issuant from the Battlements of a Tower in front of a Oak Tree proper fructed Or two Sickles the shafts in saltire the blades upward and outward proper.

Motto 'URBS IN RURE' - The town in the countryside.
Granted 1975.

The Metropolitan Borough of Solihull was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Solihull, part of the Merden Rural District and part of the Stratford-on-Avon Rural District.

solihull mbc arms

The two barrulets are from the arms of Sir George Throckmorton or Throgmorton of Coughton Court, near Alcester, who purchased the Manor from the Crown in 1528 and it was held by the family until 1604. The black griffin is taken from the arms of the Finch family, Earls of Aylesford, who have held the lordships of the manors of Bickenhill and Meriden. The black greyhound is taken from the arms of the Greswold family who were associated with Solihull for several centuries and built Malvern Hall and also the Manor House in the High Street. The silver fleur-de-lys is taken from the arms of the Digby family, which has held the manor of Coleshill (including Chelmsley Wood, Kingshurst and Fordbridge) since 1496.
The crest is based on that of the former County Borough of Solihull, with a change in the colour of the wreath and mantling. The oak tree indicates that the district was formerly part of the Forest of Arden, and the tower and sickles show that while it includes considerable residential areas parts of it are still mainly agricultural. This theme is also the significance of the motto, which was also used by the former County Borough.


SOUTH STAFFORDSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a Stag Royal's Head caboshed between the attires a Stafford Knot Or a Chief Argent fretty Gules nailed Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours, out of a Garland of Laurel Leaves Or in front of an Oak Tree proper fructed Or a demi Unicorn Argent armed crined unguled and supporting a Quiver of Arrows erect Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Stag Royal proper the dexter gorged with a Collar Argent charged with six Escallops Sable (three being manifest) the sinister gorged with a Collar Argent charged with six Mullets Gules (three being manifest) and each charged on the shoulder with a Sun in splendour Or thereon a Stafford Knot Gules.
BADGE: A Sun in splendour Or charged with a Stafford Knot Gules.

Motto 'HONESTE NEC TIMIDE' - Honestly but not timidly.
Granted 2nd January 1976.

The South Staffordshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Cannock Rural District and the Seisdon Rural District.

south staffordshire bc arms
south staffordshire badge
Badge

The gold Stafford knot on green, was common the the arms of both former Councils. The stag's head, from the arms of the Cannock RDC, represents Cannock Chase and the Forest of Brewood. The pattern of red trellis-work on white, with gold nails at the intersections, is from the arms of the Seisdon RDC, where the trellis was from the arms of the ancient Trussel family of Seisdon and Acton Trussel. The gold nails refer to an old established local industry.
The white unicorn with gold horn, mane and hooves is from the Seisdon RDC crest, and the gold quiver and arrows from that of the Cannock RDC. These are from the heraldry of several families prominent in the life of the area; the unicorn is that of the Greys and Wrottesleys and the quiver is that of the archer in the crest of the Giffards. The laurel leaves, as in the arms of the Cannock RDC, are from the arms of the Levesons, now Dukes of Sutherland, who had much to do with the development of the local mining industry. The oak tree, also from the Cannock RDC crest, recalls the famous Boscobel Oak.
The two stags, in natural colours, indicate the Forest areas of South Staffordshire and its industries. They are also recall the supporters of two other families long associated with the area, the Littleton Barons Hatherton and the Legge Earls of Dartmouth, from whose respective arms are derived the stags' collars, showing three black scallop shells and three red five-pointed stars on white. The shoulder badges differentiate them further from other stag supporters. The full sun is a symbol of the South, and with the Knot denotes South Staffordshire. The sun is also found in the same position on the black lion supporters of the National Coal Board, being the source of all natural energy.
The motto is a combination of elements from the Seisdon motto 'HONESTE PROGREDIEMUR CONANDO' and the Cannock RDC's motto, the Bridgeman family's 'NEC TEMERE NEC TIMIDE'.


STAFFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Or four Chevronels interlaced Gules on a Chief wavy Vert below a Stafford Knot of the first a Barrulet wavy Argent.
*CREST: Out of a Palisdado Crown Or a demi figure representing St. Bertelin supporting with the dexter hand a Staff all proper.
*BADGE: On a Roundel Gules a quadrangular Castle in perspective the four towers domed Argent and each surmounted by a Pennon Or.

Granted 1974?.

The Borough of Stafford was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Stafford, the Stone Urban District, the Stafford Rural District and the Stone Rural District.

stafford bc arms
stafford badge
Badge

The four interlaced red chevronels on gold, derived from the red De Stafford chevron in the arms of the County Council, symbolise the union of the four former authorities. The green chief alludes to the pastoral and agricultural nature of the area, and the gold Stafford knot, like those in the arms of the former Borough, recall further the County. The white wavy bar represents the River Trent flowing through the area.
St. Bertelin is reputed to have been the son of the Mercian prince, the friend and disciple of St. Guthlac who, after St. Guthlac's death circa 700, continued his holy vocation on the islet of Betheney now Stafford. Here, he remained until forced to retreat to Ilam, in Dovedale, where ultimately he died. His burial place in Ilam church was for long a place of pilgrimage. He holds a staff, alluding to the name of the town, and issues from a palisade crown in reference to Stafford Castle. The first castle, built circa 1069, was basically an earth fortification with a stockade for defence, hence the palisade crown in place of the mural crown, more usually found in civic heraldry.
The badge is derived from the arms of the former borough.


STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Mount of Heather in base a Curlew rising proper on a Chief Vert a Stafford Knot Or.

Granted 21st January 1976.

The Staffordshire Moorlands District was formed by the amalgamation of the Biddulph Urban District, the Leek Urban District, the Cheadle Rural District and the Leek Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

staffordshire moorlands dc arms

The arms are a simple expression of the name of the District. The gold Stafford knot on a green background represents rural Staffordshire, and the curlew and heather represent the Moorlands.


STOKE-ON-TRENT CITY COUNCIL (UA) (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Argent a Cross Gules fretty Or between in the first quarter a representation of the Portland Vase in the second a Camel kneeling proper charged on the body with an Escutcheon Argent thereon a Cross Gules in the third an Eagle displayed Sable and in the fourth a Scythe also proper on a Chief of the second a Boar's Head erased between two Stafford Knots of the the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Potter of ancient Egypt at his Wheel Argent.

Motto 'VIS UNITA FORTIOR' - United strength is stronger.
Granted 20th March 1912, to the Stoke-on-Trent County Borough Council.

stoke on trent city arms

The County Borough (later City) of Stoke-on-Trent was formed by the amalgamation of Stoke-on-Trent, Burslem, Fenton, Hanley, Longton and Tunstall. The emblems in the arms are derived from the various arms and devices of the constituent authorities.
The Stafford knot was taken from the Tunstall shield, and also links to the arms of the County Council. The boar's head was taken from the Stoke-upon-Trent shield and the Longton shield, these derived respectively from the arms of the Copeland and Sandford families. The Portland Vase was taken from the arms of the Burslem BC, as was the scythe, which also occurs in the Tunstall shield. The scythe or 'sned' is from the heraldry of the Sneyd family. The fretty cross was taken from the Fenton shield device and the dromedary was taken from the Hanley crest, being derived from the crest of the John Ridgway, first Mayor of that borough. The eagle was taken from the Longton crest, being derived from the crest of James Clover.
The Egyptian potter at his wheel represents the pottery industry.


STRATFORD-ON-AVON DISTRICT COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

ARMS: Gules a Bend per bend wavy Argent and Azure charged with a Bendlet wavy counter changed between two Swans naiant Argent that in chief holding in its beak a Sprig of Oak and that in base an Ear of Wheat both Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure in a Mural Crown dexter a demi Lion Or and sinister a demi Bull Gules supporting between their forefeet a Cog Wheel Argent.

Granted 25th April 1984.

The District of Stratford-on-Avon was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon, the Alcester Rural District, the Shipston on Stour Rural District, the Southam Rural District, and most of the Stratford-on-Avon Rural District.

stratford-on-avon dc arms

The shield is predominately in the national colours of red, white and blue. The red shield echoes that of the Warwickshire CC and the white and blue bend with is wavy divisions pictorially represents the River Avon crossing the District. Swans have long been associated with the river and with Stratford town in both literary allusion and popular imagination, and can be seen as symbolising tourism. The sprig of oak and the ear of wheat refer to the two major parts of the District in former times. The oak recalls the Forest of Arden, which lay on the right bank of the River Avon, and the wheat makes reference to the Feldon, on the opposite bank — that extensive, cleared area which was under the plough in both Roman and medieval times. They are also symbolic of agriculture in general.
The red bull and the golden lion are taken from the crests of the Alcester RDC and the Southam RDC respectively. In these crests the red bull represented agriculture and commemorated the cattle market at Alcester, and the lion was that of England, and had reference to the Battle of Edgehill. The mural crown is an a common symbol of civic government and the cogwheel refers to the engineering industry.


TAMWORTH BOROUGH COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Per fess Azure and Gules a Fess Vair between in chief a Saltire and in base a Fleur-de-Lis Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours infront of a Mount Vert thereon a representation of Tamworth Castle proper two Swords in saltire Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Bear Argent muzzled Gules collared and chained Or and on the sinister side a Lion Gules crowned Or.
BADGE: A Saltire Or surmounted by a Fleur-de-Lys Azure.

Granted 1st May 1965.

tamworth bc arms
tamworth badge
Badge

The gold saltire on blue is from the arms of the Kingdom of Mercia. When Offa came to the throne of Mercia in 757 AD, he made Tamworth his chief residence and built a palace there. Shortly after the Norman Conquest, William gave the royal Anglo-Saxon castle of Tamworth and its lands to his Royal Steward, Robert de Marmion. It was the Marmion family, who built the stone castle and the vair is from their arms. The fleur-de-lys is from the Borough Seal and probably derives from the arms of Elizabeth I, by whom the town was incorporated.
The crossed sword in front of a representation of Tamworth Castle, represent the office of Champion of England, held by the Marmion family.
The crowned lion, is like one of the supporters of the arms of Staffordshire County Council and the chained bear, is like that in the arms of Warwickshire County Council. Tamworth was previously situated in both counties, the boundary ran through the centre of the town along the main streets, until 1889 when the town was transferred wholly to Staffordshire.


WARWICK DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Cross quadrate Gules a Castle of three Towers within a circular Wall in perspective pierced by a Port with Portcullis Argent between four Cross crosslets Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours within a Circlet of four Fleurs de Lys and four Mullets Or pierced Gules alternately a demi Lion queue-fourchee Vert supporting a Rod of Esculapius proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Bear supporting a ragged Staff Argent and gorged with a Wreath of Oak fructed proper.

Motto 'FORWARD IN UNITY'.
Granted 13th November 1975.

The District of Warwick was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Royal Leamington Spa, the Borough of Warwick, the Kenilworth Urban District and the Warwick Rural District.

warwick dc arms

The red cross crosslet are from the arms of the Beauchamp Earls of Warwick and appear in the Warwickshire CC arms. Here, they are restored to their original colour, gold on red, and their number increased to four to signify the four former Warwickshire authorities. The three-towered castle encircled by a wall, is derived from the arms of the former Borough of Warwick, which lends its name to the new District.
The wreath and mantling are in the main colours of the shield, red and gold. The fleurs de lys and pierced mullets are emblems of the Clinton family seen respectively in the arms of the Borough of Royal Leamington Spa and Kenilworth UDC. The green double-tailed lion is from the arms of the Dudleys, and was also common to both these arms. He supports the Esculapian rod, symbol of healing, which in the Leamington crest alludes to the properties of the Spa.
The combined bear and ragged staff is the time-honoured device of the Earls of Warwick, long associated with the County and Warwick itself, and seen in various forms in many of the County's civic arms. It was the crest of the former Borough of Warwick and the device of the Warwick RDC, as well as being the main charge in the County arms. Here it is depicted without the muzzle, collar and chain which usually accompany them, to emphasise the freedom of the inhabitants to speak and act. The oak wreath collars were suggested by the tree in the Warick RDC device, and are an allusion to the Forest of Arden.


WORCESTER CITY COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS (ANCIENT): Quarterly sable and gules, a castle triple-towered argent.
ARMS (MODERN): Argent, a fesse between three pears sable.

Motto 1 'FLOREAT SEMPER FIDELIS CIVITAS' - Let the faithful city ever flourish.
Motto 2 'CIVITAS IN BELLO ET PACE FIDELIS' - In war and peace, a faithful city.
Motto 3 'SEMPER FIDELIS MUTARE SPERNO' - Ever faithful, I scorn to change.
Ancient arms recorded at the Visitations of 1569 and 1634. Modern arms recorded at the Visitation of 1634.

worcester combined arms
Combined Arms
ancient and modern arms
Ancient and Modern Arms

There has been much confusion about the City's arms, with two shields in various combinations, and three mottos, in use at various times. The "ancient" arms doubtless commemorate Worcester Castle, of which nothing remains. The "modern" arms, in fact more than three years old, are said to have been adopted to mark Queen Elizabeth I's visit to Worcester in 1575. Tradition has it that during her procession through the streets of Worcester the Queen saw a black pear tree which had been planted in the Foregate in her honour. She was so pleased at the appropriateness of the tree growing right in the heart of a fruit growing region, that she bade the city add the emblem of pears to its arms. At various times the modern arms have been placed on a canton on the ancient arms, and appears as such on a map of Worcester by J. Roper in 1806.
The city's loyal support for the Royalist cause during the Civil War, is asserted in all of its mottoes.
The City curretly appears to used the two shields placed side by side between branches of laurel and palm leaves, with the motto "Civitas in bello et pace fidelis".


WYCHAVON DISTRICT COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Vert gutty Argent in chief and Or in base two Croziers addorsed palewise Gold over all on a Fess wavy Argent a Bar wavy Azure surmounted of a Saxon Crown also Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure out of a Ancient Crown three Ears of Wheat slipped and stalked Or and between them two Ostrich Feathers Argent penned Gold; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
BADGE: A Saxon Crown Or ensigning a Fess couped dancetty with two points in base Azure and thereon a Bar dancetty Argent.

Motto 'ET PATRIBUS ET POSTERIS'.
Granted 17th December 1981.

The Wychavon District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Droitwich, the Borough of Evesham, most of the Droitwich Rural District, the Evesham Rural District and most of the Pershore Rural District.

wychavon dc arms
wychavon badge
Badge

The green background refers to the rich agricultural land which characterises the area. The silver drops represent the rain which, when it waters the land, turns the crops to gold - hence golden drops. The wavy band across the shield symbolises the River Avon, which flows across the District and forms the second element in its name. The Saxon crown is for the Hwicca, the Saxon tribe who gave the District the first element in its name. The croziers represent the two great Abbeys of Evesham and Pershore, which once dominated the area.
The three ears of wheat symbolises the three former Rural District Councils of Droitwich, Evesham and Pershore and the two ostrich feathers (royal ensigns) the two former Boroughs of Droitwich and Evesham, both of which have ancient royal connections.
The badge repeats the Saxon Crown motif and also symbolises the Avon which here makes a pictogram of the initial W.


TOWN AND PARISH COUNCILS

BRIDGNORTH TOWN COUNCIL (SALOP)

ARMS: Argent on a Rock in base a Castle of three Towers with spires proper from the dexter spire a Banner of St. George and from the sinister spire a Banner quarterly Gules a Lion passant Or and Azure a Fleur de Lys also Or on a Chief Vert a Lion passant guardant Gold.

Motto 'FIDELITAS URBIS SALUS REGIS' - The faithfulness of the city is the safety of the King.
Granted 14th September 1958, to the Bridgnorth Borough Council.

bridgnorth tc arms

The arms are base upon the former seal, dating from the fifteenth century, which was displayed on a shield before the current arms were granted. The seal bore a castle with a central domed tower, and on either side thereof a shield, one bearing the cross of St George, and the other the Royal Arms: France and England quarterly. The castle represents that built in 1098 by Robert de Belesme, Earl of Shrewsbury, who held it in rebellion against Henry I. During the Civil War the castle was besieged by the Parliamentary forces and finally demolished.
The motto refers to the town's support of the Royalist cause.


CLENT PARISH COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Argent on a Saltire Vert between four Torteaux a Shackle of four Chains saltirewise the ends terminated in four broken Fetters Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Circlet of Oak Leaves Vert charged with a Stafford Knot between two Pears Or a demi Lion Argent brandishing with both paws a Banner of the Arms the Staff Argent; Wreath Or and Vert, Mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Motto 'I WILL LIFT UP MINE EYES'.
Granted 1999?.

clent pc arms

The red roundels are taken from the arms of the See of Worcester, and the green of the saltire is from the colour of the shield of arms of the Bromsgrove DC, in which the Parish of Clent lies. The gold shackle with broken fetters is the emblem of St Leonard, to whom the Parish Church is dedicated, representing not only the Saint's miracle in freeing a prisoner, but the liberation of the Spirit from the burdens of life, which is part of the purpose of the Parish Council. The design also illustrates one of the features of Clent, which has four main clusters of habitation separated by green fields.
The circlet of oak leaves stands for the woodlands in the Parish and in particular for the National Trust, while the Stafford Knot between two Worcestershire Pears signifies the changing allegiances in the history of Clent. The white lion is associated with the Mortimers, Earls of the Marches, who held much land hereabouts, including some in Bromsgrove though none actually in Clent. It is shown brandishing a banner of the arms, which is a flag repeating the design on the shield. The gold and green wreath, together with the red and white mantling, repeats the colour scheme of the shield.
The motto is taken from the opening words of Psalm 121, "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help". This is a reference to the Clent Hills, for which the Parish is famous.


DROITWICH TOWN COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Gules a Sword of State point downwards Argent surmounted of two Lions passant Or impaling quarterly first and fourth chequy Argent and Sable second and third Gules two Barrows erect in fesse Argent.

Recorded at the Visitation of 1634. Certified by Chester Herald in 1952.

droitwich tc arms

The local tradition concerning the arms has it that in the days of King John, that monarch was fain to sell all his rights here to the burgesses for an annuity, which he disposed of next day to his brother, William of the Long Sword. The town proudly assumed for its coat of arms John's lions impaled on William's sword. Two lions passant were John's arms before he came to the throne. Salt extraction has been important in Droitwich since Roman times and for five centuries the its manufacture of salt was a monopoly guarded jealously. The guild took another coat of arms showing the wicker moulds, know as barrows, and the chequered table for their accounts. The two arms were eventually placed together on one shield.


EVESHAM TOWN COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Azure a Prince's Coronet Or between two Ostrich Feathers in chief Argent the quills bezantée and a Garb in base of the second all within a Bordure Sable bezantée.

Recorded at the Visitations of 1604, 1634 and 1682 for the Borough of Evesham.

evesham tc arms

All the emblems are from the insignia of Henry, Prince of Wales, son of James I. In 1605 Lewis Bayley, Vicar of Evesham and Chaplain to Prince Henry, influenced the Prince, to persuade his father to grant a Charter of Incorporation to Evesham. The bezants are from the arms of the Duke of Cornwall, and the wheatsheaf stands for the Earl of Chester, two of Henry's other titles.


HEREFORD CITY COUNCIL (HERE)

ARMS: Gules three Lions passant guardant in pale Argent on a Bordure Azure ten Saltires of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lion passant guardant Argent holding in the dexter paw a Sword erect proper hilt and pomel Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion ram­pant guardant Argent gorged with a Collar Azure charged with three Buckles Or.

Motto 'INVICTAE FIDELITATIS PRAEMIUM' - Reward for faithfulness unconquered.
Arms recorded (without bordure) at the Visitations of 1569 and 1634. Arms augmented and Crest and Supporters granted 14th September 1645.

The City of Hereford Charter Trustees became Hereford Town Council on 1st April 2000, when Hereford became a Parish Council. On 9th October 2000 the Queen reinstated the status of City on Hereford and the parish council took the title of Hereford City Council.

hereford city arms

Hereford bore on an early seal the Royal Arms of Richard I, who gave the City its first Royal Charter in 1189. It seems to have coloured the lions silver for the purpose of creating a distinctive (but unauthorized) coat of arms. The entire remainder of the design dates from 1645 at which time England was in a state of civil war. The City of Hereford supported the King and was garrisoned by Royalist troops. The garrison was very small and a large force of Scottish troops under the command of Leslie, Earl of Leven, arrived in Hereford. However, the citizens of Hereford joined with the soldiers and did the duties of soldiers so nobly that they kept the Cromwellian troops at bay for approximately five weeks. There was no penetration of the City defenses at any time by the Scottish troops whose sole achievement of destroying one span of the old bridge over the Wye and dislodging a few stones from the City walls. At the end of five weeks, the Scots gave up trying to capture the City and left. Leaving the Royal Standard flying in triumph over the City. King Charles I, on hearing of this was delighted and full of praise for the citizens of Hereford. He visited the City in order to thank them personally for their success. He dined one night at the Bishop’s Palace and at the end of this dinner he is alleged to have made the Grant of Arms, which has resulted in the Coat of Arms, which the City of Hereford now possesses. The lions surrounded by saltires, or St Andrew's Crosses, represent the Royalist forces hemmed in by the insurgent Scots, and the buckles on the collars of the supporting lions are from the arms of the Earl of Leven. The lion and sword of the crest signify loyalty to and defense of the Crown, and is rare in civic heraldry. Of even greater rarity is the barred peer’s helm supporting the crest found only in the arms of one other municipal authority in England – The City of London. King Charles I also gave the motto. The terms of the grant, dated 1645, printed in full in Fox-Davies's Book of Public Arms, set forth that,

"Ther hath not any Citty since this unnaturall Rebellion Exprest greater fidelity & Courage then ye Citty of herefford in Continuing there alleaganc & resisting ye many attempts of ye rebells but ye greatness of there loyallty Courages & undaunted resolution did then most eminently appeare when being straitly beseiged for ye space of 5 weeks by a powerfull army of Rebellious Scotts & having noe hopes of releife they Joyning with garison & doeing ye duty of souldiers then defended themselves & repelled ther fury & assaults with such singular constansy & resolution & with soe great distinction of ye beseidges that they are therby become ye wonder of ther Neighboring garisons & may be an Example to all other Citties & therfore doe justly deserve such caracters of honor as may be certified to posterity."


KENILWORTH TOWN COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

ARMS: Argent on a Mount in base Vert a Castle of three Towers Gules on a Chief Azure two Mullets Or pierced Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules an Ostrich Feather Ermine supported by two Lions queue fourchee the dexter Argent the sinister Vert each gorged with a Crown pendent therefrom an Escallop Or.

Motto 'CIVES OPPIDI FUNDAMENTA' - Citizens are the foundations of a town.
Granted 5th January 1966, to the Kenilworth Urban District Council.

kenilworth tc arms

The red castle represent Kenilworth Castle, one of the greatest in the Midlands, which appeared in a pictorial representation on the former seal of the Council. The castle in the arms is coloured red to indicate the local red sandstone of which it is built. The blue chief and golden mullets are from the arms attributed to Geoffrey de Clinton, Chamberlain and Treasurer to King Henry I, who founded both Kenilworth Castle and Kenilworth Priory. His arms were said to have been used by Kenilworth Priory (later Abbey), but they do not appear on the seal on the deed of surrender of the Abbey. A castle and a blue chief both appear in the arms of Lord Kenilworth, who purchased the castle from the Earl of Clarendon in 1937 and presented it to the nation.
The red and white of the wreath and mantling are colours the Warwickshire County Council. The white lion is from the arms of Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, who held Kenilworth Castle from 1248, through his wife the sister of King Henry III. During the later war between the King and the de Montforts the Castle played a prominent role. The ermine ostrich feather was one of the badges of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, who inherited Kenilworth Castle in 1362. He spent lavishly in con­verting the Castle from a fortress into a palace and he erected the Great Hall. The green lion is from the arms of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, the favourite of Queen Elizabeth I. He was granted Kenilworth Castle by the Queen in 1563, and entertained her there on several occasions. The crowns and scallop shells, are from the arms of the Hyde and Villiers families, successive Earls of Clarendon, who held the castle from 1665 until 1937.


LEEK TOWN COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)

ARMS: Azure a Saltire patonce between in chief a Stafford Knot in fesse two Suns and in base a Garb all Or.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or charged with three Mulberry Leaves proper a Mount of Heather thereon a Moorcock also proper resting the dexter claw on a Leek small-weave Shuttle Gold threaded Gules.

Motto 'ARTE FAVENTE NIL DESPERANDUM' - Our skill assisting us, we have no cause for despair.
Granted 7th May 1956, to the Leek Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

leek tc arms

The basic colours of the arms are gold on a blue ground, the colours of the Earldom of Chester, Dieulacrcsse Abbey, the Kingdom of Mercia and St. Edward. The cross, is that of St. Edward, patron saint of the parish, here it is set X-wise to recall the golden saltire on blue from the arms traditionally associated with the Saxon earldom and kingdom of Mercia, in which Leek held an important place under Earl Ælfgar. The Stafford Knot, like that in the arms of the County Council, indicates the town's importance in North Staffordshire. The wheat sheaf, is from the arms of the Earls of Chester, from whom the manor of Leek was held by the monks of Dieulacresse Abbey, founded in 1214 by Ranulph, Earl of Chester. The two suns recall the well-known Leek phenomenon of the "double sunset" and also refer to those in the arms of the family of Nicholson who have been so closely connected with Leek's modern development.
The mural crown is a symbol of local government and recalls Leek's traditional title of "Capital of the Moorlands". The mulberry leaves stand for the silk industry and the mound of heather and moorcock refer, to the moorlands, and also to the local archaeological feature, Cock Low. The special type of small-weave shuttle is characteristic of the local Industry.
The motto is that which was in use before the arms were granted.


LICHFIELD CITY COUNCIL (STAFFORDSHIRE)
Link to Lichfield City Council Web Site

ARMS: Chequey of nine Or a Chevron Gules and Ermine.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a representation of St. Chad vested in alb and amice proper the orphreys Vert embroidered Or a dalmatic of the first embroidered of the second and a chasuble of the second trimmed of the first embroidered of the second gloves Argent and shoes Purpure in the bend of his exterior arm a Pastoral Staff of the second and in his exterior hand a representation of Lichfield Cathedral proper and on the sinister side a representation of a Guild Master of Lichfield in fifteenth century dress proper carrying in his exterior hand a Bunch of Roses Gules leaved and stalked proper.

Motto 'SALVE MAGNA PARENS' - Hail great mother (or parent).
Granted 28th March 1950, to the former City Council.

The new Lichfield City Council was established in 1980. It is a parish council with city status granted by letters patent.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

lichfield city arms

The arms are ancient, the red chevrons on gold are probably from the arms of the Stafford family, Dukes of Buckingham and Earls of Stafford. Ermine is an ancient emblem of honour and purity.
The supporters refer to the See and City, St Chad became the first Bishop of Lichfield in 669.
The motto was first used by Dr Samuel Johnson at the begining of the compilation of his famous dictionary. It was a tribute by him, not only to his native city, but also to the Cathedral as the mother church of the ancient Kingdom of Mercia.


MALVERN TOWN COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Argent two Lions passant queue fourchée Gules on a Chief of the last a Cross patonce Or between two Fountains.
CREST: On a Wreath of the colours in front of a Pear Tree fructed proper a Stag lodged also proper.

Motto 'LEVAVI OCULOS MEOS IN MONTES' - I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills.
Granted 2nd October 1951 to the Urban District Council, transferred by Order dated 30th October 1997.

malvern tc arms

The two red lions walking with forked tails are taken from the arms of the Earls Beauchamp. The cross is taken from the arms of the ancient See of Westminster, suppressed in 1540, and alludes to the mediaeval connections between the Priory of Great Malvern and Westminster Abbey, of which it was a cell. The two heraldic fountains flanking the cross indicate the Malvern waters.
The stag, in natural colours, represents Malvern Chase. The pear tree in fruit has been adopted from the arms of the Worcestershire CC, in which it recalls the traditional pear-tree re-planting ceremony at Worcester on a visit by Queen Elizabeth I.
The motto is from the Vulgate Psalm CXXI.


ROSS-ON-WYE TOWN COUNCIL (HERE)

ARMS: Per fesse Gules and Vert on a Fesse wavy Argent between in chief two Leopards' Faces reversed jessant-de-Lys and in base a Fleur-de-Lys Or a Bar wavy Azure.
CREST: Issuant from a Coronet composed of four Fleurs-de-Lys set upon a Rim Gules a demi Eagle displayed wings inverted Or collared Vert the breast and each wing charged with a Rose also Gules barbed and seeded proper.

Motto 'PORTA VAGAE'.
Granted 26 June 1953, to the Ross-on-Wye Urban District Council.

ross-on-wye tc arms

The fleur-de-lys and leopard's head devices are from the arms of the Diocese of Hereford and the white and blue wave represents the River Wye. Awaiting further information from Ross-on-Wye Town Council.


ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA TOWN COUNCIL (WARWICKSHIRE)

ARMS: Per fesse Argent and Or a Lion rampant double queued Vert debruised by a Chevron Vair in chief three Mullets Gules all within a Bordure Azure charged with eight Fleurs-de-lis of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Staff raguly in bend Argent surmounted by a Staff in bend sinister Or entwined with a Serpent proper two Sprigs of Forget-me-nots in saltire also proper; Mantled Vert doubled Or.

Motto 'SOLA BONA QUÆ HONESTA' - Only those things that are honourable are good.
Granted 6th November 1876, to the Royal Leamington Spa Borough Council.

royal leamington spa arms

The division of the shield horizontally into gold and silver symbolises the manors of Leamington Priors and Newbold Comyn, which together formed the Borough of Royal Leamington Spa. The red mullets are from the arms of Willes, who held the Newbold Comyn estate, part of the original manor of Newbold Comyn. Edward Willes, who inherited the estate in 1820, was very largely responsible for the development of Leam­ington in its early days. The green lion comes from the arms of Ambrose Dudley, Earl of Warwick, to whom Queen Elizabeth I granted the manors of Leamington Priors and Newbold Comyn in 1563. The lion covers both divisions of the shield to indicate that he held both manors. The chevron is from the arms of the Fishers of Packington, who inherited much of the property of Ambrose Dudley, when he died without issue in 1589. The golden fleurs-de-lys on the border are derived from the arms of the Clinton family, one of whose members, Geoffrey de Clinton, founder of Kenilworth Castle and Priory, gave the manor of Leamington to the Priors of Kenilworth.
The ragged staff, of the Earls of Warwick, refers to Warwickshire and the Rod of Aesculapius denotes the health-giving qulities of the Spa. The forget-me-nots are supposed by the designer to be the badge of the Lords of Kenilworth when Leamington was under control of Leamington Priory. There is a legend of the forget-me-not, attributing it as a badge to Henry, Duke of Hereford, later King Henry IV, however there is no evidence that either Henry IV or any other member of the House of Lancaster ever used the plant as a badge.


STOURPORT-ON-SEVERN TOWN COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure a representation of a Severn Trow Or on a Chief Sable a Cross Moline between two Bees volant Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Cockatrice sejant Argent beaked combed and wattled Or the underwing charged with three Cross-crosslets fitchy Gules gorged with a Collar attached thereto a Chain of Steel reflexed over the back and holding in the dexter claw a Torch Sable enflamed proper.

Motto 'DUM DEFLUAT AMNIS' - Till the river ceases to flow.
Granted 20th June 1962 to the Stourport-on-Severn Urban District Council.

Picture by R.Young, Stouport-on-Severn, 2008.

stourport tc arms

The motto is from Horace (Epistulae, 1, 2, 32) and is a reference to the town's riverside situation. No further information available.


WARWICK TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable a Walled Town with three Towers Argent issuing from each of the flanking Towers a demi Figure representing a Nightwatchman respectant winding a Horn Argent habited and capped Gules the central Tower charged with an Escutcheon Gules thereon a ragged Staff bendwise between in chief a Mullet of six points and an Increscent Silver.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Bear supporting a ragged Staff Sable.

Motto 'ANTIQUUM OBTINENS' - Possessing antiquity or Holding fast to tradition.
Granted 10th April 1964, to the Warwick Borough Council.

warwick tc arms

The arms are based on the seal of the Borough, dating back to the 14th century, which was recorded at the Visitations of Warwickshire in 1619 and 1682. The design showed a walled town, within the outer wall of which appeared a gateway flanked by two towers each manned by a watchman blowing a horn. Between these towers rose two spires, and in the middle was a high tower on which hung a shield charged with a ragged staff. The flanking towers were enclosed by a six pointed star on the dexter and a crescent on the sinister. Varying versions of this design were used as the device of the Borough of Warwick up to the time when arms were granted.
The crest of a demi-bear supporting a ragged staff is based on the old Warwickshire emblem of the bear and ragged staff, a description of which is to be found under Warwickshire CC.


WELLINGTON TOWN COUNCIL (SALOP)

ARMS: Argent fretty Gules a Lion rampant Sable on a Chief of the last a Castle of the first between two Fleurs-de-Lys Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Portcullis chained Sable a Bugle Horn stringed Or.

Motto 'DEO ADJUVANTE' - By the help of God.
Granted 14th March 1951, to the Wellington Urban District Council.

wellington tc arms

The castle and the portcullis refer to Apley Castle, which since the fourteenth century has been in the possession of the Charlton family (now represented by the Meyrick family), from whose arms the lion was taken. The frets are from the arms of the old local families of Eyton and Cludde. The fleurs-de-lis are from the old Royal Arms in allusion to the fact that Wellington was the rendezvous of the Royalist forces in 1642, when King Charles I addressed his army here before moving to Shrewsbury. In 1644 Apley Castle and Wellington parish church were garrisoned by the Royalists, captured by the Parliamentary troops, and retaken by the Royalists.
The horn stands for Lord Forester, who is descended from the foresters of Wellington Hay, a portion of the Wrekin Forest.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page