ALDRIDGE-BROWNHILLS URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert fretty Or issuant from a Base composed of three Mounds of Earth proper charged with a Bar wavy Argent thereon another wavy Azure a Beacon Sable enflamed proper .
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Circlet of Bricks Azure a demi Eagle Or beaked charged on the breast with a Fleur de Lys and on each wing with an Escallop Azure; Mantled Gules doubled Or.
BADGE: An Eagle displayed standing on a Wreath Or beaked armed and charged on the body with a Fleur-de-Lys and on each wing with an Escallop Azure.

Motto 'UNITE TO FLOURISH'.
Granted 20th December 1968.

aldridge-brownhills udc arms

The beacon was used as a device by the former Aldridge UDC and the green background de­notes the extensive "green belt". The golden fretting rep­resents the wealth, growth and vigour of the new urban dis­trict and the three undulating mounds of earth are an obvious allusion to the name Brownhills. The wavy white and blue bars are an heraldic way of symbolising water and in particular they represent the increas­ing recreational facilities being provided by the Council, including a specific representation of the facilities at Chasewater.
The circlet, comprising the blue bricks of Aldridge, symbolises the district's association with industry. The eagle, the scallop-shells and the fleur-de-lys represent the district's proud association with its many churches of all denominations. The eagle is for St. John, the shells for St. James, and the fleur-de-lys for St. Mary.
The motto was suggested by two senior pupils of Shire Oak Grammar School and was chosen from suggestions submitted by pupils of Secondary Schools throughout the urban district.


BILSTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Ermine on a Bend Sable between two Martlets Argent a Fess Or charged with a Stafford Knot Gules.
*CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Sable in front of three Oak Leaves Vert a rising Sun Or.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter a Female Figure representing Faith habited in a Robe Azure and holding in the dexter hand a Lamp proper and on the sinister a Male Figure representing Vulcan habited in a Tunic Gules and holding in the sinister hand a Hammer resting on the ground also proper.

Motto 'FIDELITATE ET INDUSTRIA STAT BILSTONIA' - Bilson stands by its faith and industry.
Granted 10th September 1933.

bilston bc arms

The shield is derived from the arms borne by Sir Walter de Bilston, a local landholder, who appears to have fought at the Battle of Evesham in 1265. His arms were formerly used by the Urban District Council and here the middle of the three martlets on his shield has been replaced by the red Stafford Knot on a gold fess or strip.
The rising sun refers to the derivation of the name Bilston, which appears to have been compounded of the words "Baal" or "Bel" and "ton", the place of sun or fire worship. The oak leaves recall that before the industrial revolution Bilston was situated in the midst of a large oak forest.
The supporters carry the idea of the motto a stage further. The man represents industry, and is of the type that we usually associate with Vulcan, and the woman holding a lamp represents Faith.
The motto is derived from an older one "Industria et Lahore Edurat Re Bilstonia" — an anagram, meaning "Bilston endures by its industry and labour". The new motto suggests that Bilston is concerned not only with the physical and mental, but with the spiritual aspect of life.


BRIERLEY HILL URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

*ARMS: Or on a Pale Gules between two Beacons Sable fired proper two Fountains on a Chief also Gules between two Boar's Heads couped a Roundel Or charged with a Rose Gules barbed seeded stalked and leaved proper.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours within and pendent from a Circle of Chain an Anchor Sable the stock enfiled by a Stafford Knot Gold.

Motto 'SINE LABORE NIHIL FLORET' - Without labour nothing flourishes.
Granted 19th June 1942.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

brierley hill udc arms

The boar's heads and heraldic fountains refer to the ancient Manor of King's Swineford (Kingswinford) and the briar rose plays on the name of the Urban District. The beacons refer to the town's pricipal industries - glass, fireclay, iron and steel.
The emblems in the crest refer to the manufacture of those items and the knot refers to the County.


CANNOCK URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry of eight Vert and Sable a Stag's Head caboshed between in chief an Ancient Crown of Fleurs-de-Lis Or and in base a Cross potent quadrate Argent.
CREST: Out of a Circlet Vert issuant from Flames an Oak Tree fructed proper the trunk enfiled with a Stafford Knot Or.

Motto 'LABOR IN VENATU' - Work in the Chase.
Granted 20th February 1951.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

cannock udc arms

The green and black bars indicate the coal seams beneath Cannock Chase and the stag's head and crown recalls the old Royal Forest. The cross, of the form, associated with St. Chad, is from the arms of the Bishoprics of Lichfield and Coventry. The Bishops of the then united See purchased the Manor of Cannock from Richard I, and enjoyed many privileges in the Chase.
The green circlet represents Castle Ring, an Iron Age earthwork, and the flames allude to the industies of the area. They also represent in conjunction with the oak tree, the destruction of the forest for smelting before the discovery of the coal seams.
The motto, a quotation from Horace, meant in its original context "exertion in the hunt", but is equally well translated as "Work in the Chase", which sums up Cannock's activities as an important industrial town in a former Royal Forest and Chase.


COSELEY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

*ARMS: Chequy Or and Azure a Chevron Gules charged with a Stafford Knot Or on a Chief Sable three Cressets of the first fired proper.
*CREST: Within a Palisado Crown Or a Mount Vert thereon a representation of Sedgley Beacon Tower proper; Mantled Azure doubled Or.

Motto 'FELLOWSHIP IS LIFE'.
Granted 2nd May 1951.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

coseley udc arms

The chequers are from the arms of the Ward family, who held the Manor, and the red chevron and Stafford knot are from the arms of the Staffordshire CC. The black chief alludes to the industry of the Black Country with special reference to mineral workings and tarmacadam, and the cressets represent blast furnaces.
Sedgely beacon-tower, which forms the crest, is a familiar landmark owned by the Council.


NEWCASTLE UNDER LYME BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Or on a Base barry wavy of four Argent and Azure charged with three Fishes naiant proper a Castle of three Towers Gules on a Chief Azure a Lion passant guardant between two Fleurs-de-Lis of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules a demi Lion queue fourchée Argent charged on the shoulder with a Stafford Knot Gules and supporting a Staff proper flying therefrom a Banner Azure charged with three Garbs Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion guardant Sable supporting a Scythe proper.

Motto 'PRISCA CONSTANTIA' - Ancient and loyal.
Granted 21st December 1951.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

newcastle under lyme fbc arms

The design incorporates many features from the Common Seal. The red castle replaces the depiction of the Guildhall and can also be seen as representing the 'new castle' built in the twelth century by the Earls of Chester. The waves and fishes also from the Common Seal are retained. The lion and fleurs-de-lis are from the arms of the Duchy of Lancaster.
The lion with the forked tail represent Simon de Montfort and the banner is that of the Earls of Chester. The red Stafford knot is a reference to the County.
The black lions with scythes over their shoulders are from the heraldry of the Sneyd family. The scythe or 'sned' (a pun on their name) is also a charge in the arms of the then new University College of North Staffordshire which was domicled at Keele Hall, a former Sneyd residence.
The motto has been associated with the Borough for very many years.


ROWLEY REGIS BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Gules on a Pale Ermine between two Lions' Faces Or a Human Leg couped at the thigh a Chief Azure charged with a Lion passant Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules a Castle of three Towers Or issuant from the battlements a demi Lion queue forchée Vert holding between the paws an Anchor and charged on the shoulder with a Fleur-de-Lis Or.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side in front of an Anvil a Man habited as a Smith holding in the dexter hand a Hammer and on the sinister side a Man habited as a Miner holding in the sinister hand a Pick resting on his shoulder and a Safety Lamp hanging around his neck.

Motto 'LOYAL AND INDUSTRIOUS'.
Granted 20th September 1933.

Incorporated into the County Borough of Warley in 1966 and then into the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell in 1974.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.
Note: Colouring of the chief and lion is reversed in the picture, and is incorrect.

rowley regis bc arms

The lions' faces indicate that Rowley Regis was formerly part of the royal domain, also indicated by the last part of its name. The ermine pale is from the arms of the Ward family, to which belongs the present Earl of Dudley. The leg and lion passant are from the heraldry of the Haden and Somery families respectively.
The fork tailed lion is from the arms of Sutton, Lord Dudley, to whom the Manor was granted in the sixteenth century and the fleur-de-lis stands for Halesowen Priory.
The supporters and anchor refer to local industries.


SEISDON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent fretty Gules cloué Or a Bordure Vert charged with twelve Stafford Knots Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from Flames proper a demi Unicorn Argent armed crined tufted and unguled Or supporting a Roman Sword point downwards also proper hilt and pomel Gold.

Motto 'HONESTE PROGREDIEMUR CONANDO' - Let us progress by honest endeavour.
Granted 5th September 1952.

seisdon rdc arms

The fretty design is from the arms of the de Tressells, or Trussels, former Lords of the Manor, while the gold roundels represent the old nail-making industry of the district. The Stafford knots link the arms with the County, and their number corresponds with the twelve parishes in the Rural District.
The unicorn is from the heraldry of the Wrottesleys and Greys. The flames refer to the old iron and smelting industry, and the sword alludes to the alleged Roman camp at Kinver.


SMETHWICK COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Club in bend sinister surmounted by a Caduceus in bend dexter both proper on a Chief Azure a Beacon fired between two Symbols of the Planet Mars of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion Gules charged on the shoulder with a Stafford Knot Or and holding in the paws an Arrow erect point downwards proper.

Motto 'LABORE ET INGENIO' - By industry and ingenuity.
Granted 15th November 1907.

Incorporated into the County Borough of Warley in 1966 and then into the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell in 1974.

smethwick cbc arms

The achievement is derived from the heraldry of the pioneers of those industries which have made the name of Smethwick universally known. The caduceus of Mercury, god of commerce and the emblem of Mars are for the iron and steel industry. The club is from the arms of James Watt and the flaming beacon indicates the part William Murdoch took in introducing gas lighting.
The demi-lion is from the crest of Sir James Timmins Chance and the arrow occurs in the crest of Matthew Boulton. The Stafford knot on its shoulder refers to Smethwick's connection with the County.
The motto is that of James Watt reversed.


STAFFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Gules a quadrangular Castle in perspective the four towers domed Argent and each surmounted by a Pennon Or between in chief two Stafford Knots and in base a Lion passant guardant of the last.
BADGE: A domed Tower Argent ensigned with a Staff flying a Pennon Or within a Circlet composed of Stafford Knots conjoined Or.

Arms recorded at the Visitation of 1614, certified circa 1953. Badge granted 20th June 1962.

stafford bc arms

Stafford formerly had two castles, one belonging to the King, and the other to the Earls of Stafford. The royal castle, built by William the Conqueror, was held for the King by Robert de Stafford, ancestor of the first Earl of Stafford, who in 1348 built the second castle outside the town. Both castles no longer exist. The royal and feudal elements in Stafford's history a represented by the lion and Stafford knots. The arms carry on the motif of a thirteenth century seal bearing a castle between four lions.


TETTENHALL URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

*ARMS: Vert on a Chevron engrailed between three Oak Trees eradicated Or as many Fountains.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert upon a Mount of the last in front of two Battle-Axes in saltire Gules a Windmill Argent.

Motto 'RESPICE ASPICE PROSPICE' - Look to the past, the present and the future.
Granted 29th September 1938.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

tettenhall udc arms

The trees refer to the three royal forests of Kinver, Brewood and Cannock, which met at Tettenhall. The heraldic fountains represent the watershed and streams of the district, flowing into two oceans.
The windmill, representing structures once common in the area, stands for its windy and healthly heights. The axes refer to the battle of Tettenhall in 910, when King Edward the Elder defeated the Danes.


TIPTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Gules a Port between two Towers between in chief three Wheels and in base a Stafford Knot all Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Rock issuing therefrom three Spearheads proper the hafts Or.
*SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Or holding in the mouth a strap Gules pendent therefrom an Escutcheon Sable charged with a Thunderbolt Or.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI SUPREMA LEX' - The welfare of the people is the highest law.
Granted 8th November 1938.

tipton bc arms

The gold castle symbolizes the municipality and can also be interpreted as an allusion to nearby Dudley Castle. The Stafford knot indicates that Tipton was historically part of Staffordshire and the three gold wheels symbolise industry.
The spear-tips issuing from a piece of stone, allude to the earlier place-name, Tibbingstone, or Tipstone, found in the Domesday Book.
The black shields, held by the golden lions, are an allusion to the old coal mines which were responsible for the town's early growth, and are charged with thunderbolts, emblems of the modern electrical industry. The thunderbolts also serve as a reminder of Captain George Eyston's racing car, "Thunderbolt", which was built in Tipton and in 1938 set up a world land-speed record of 357 miles an hour.


WEDNESBURY BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Sable on a Fess between two Lions passant Argent both crowned Or a Symbol of Mars between two Lozenges Sable.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a rising Sun a Tower with flames issuant from the battlements proper the Tower charged with a Symbol of Mars Sable.

Motto 'ARTE MARTE VIGORE' - By skill, by iron, by energy.
Granted 8th September 1904.

wednesbury bc arms

The field suggests the Black Country and the two lions are from the arms of the Heronville family, to whom the Manor of Wednesbury was granted by Henry II in the 12th century. The black diamonds represent coal mining and the symbol of Mars, used by alchemists to denote iron, represents the iron and steel industries. Mars is also the Roman counterpart of Woden, after whom Wednesbury is named.
The flaming tower is derived from the crest of Joseph Hopkins, a local ironmonger, who left money to the town for charitable purposes. The fiery tower combined with the symbol of Mars can also be seen as representing a blast furnace.
The word "marte" in the motto is also sometimes translated as "by arms" appropriate as gun barrels were formerly made in the town.


WEDNESFIELD URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Sable and Gules in chief two double-warded Keys wards upwards in base a Saxon Crown Or on a Chief Or two Barrulets Azure surmounted of a Mural Crown Gules.
CREST: Issuant from a Saxon Crown Or a Mount Vert thereon a Raven Sable wings addorsed and transfixed in bend by a Spear head downward Gules; Mantled Sable doubled Or.

Motto 'SEMPER WODNESFELDE' - Wednesfield forever.
Granted 20th May 1965.

wednesfield udc arms
wednesfield seal
Former Seal of the Wednesfield UDC

The gold Saxon crown alludes to the victory of the Saxons, led by Edward the Elder, over the Danes in 910 AD and the red field is doubtless indended to represent the bloody nature of the battlefield. The Saxons named the area where the battle took place "Woden's field" in honour of their god of war and the height of the battle was depicted on the Council's former seal. The two golden keys symbolise the lock-making industry which played an important role in Wednesfield's development in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The red mural crown is a common symbol of civic government and the two blue bars represent the Wyrley and Essington Canal, which runs through the town.
The raven, being an emblem of the Danes, transfixed by a spear is a further reference to the battle and the Saxon victory.


WEST BROMWICH COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Stag's Head caboshed Argent between three Fers-de-Moline Or a Bordure of the second charged with four Mullets and as many Fleurs-de-Lis alternately of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of four Feathers erect Azure a Stag lodged Argent supporting with the dexter foot a Fer-de-Moline Sable.

Motto 'LABOR OMNIA VINCIT' - Work overcomes all things.
Granted 16th October 1882.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell in 1974.

west bromwich cbc arms

The millrinds or fers-de-moline represent the iron and brass foundries. The other emblems are are derived from the heraldry of the Earls of Dartmouth, who were formly seated at Sandwell Hall. The motto is not always used.


WILLENHALL URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

*ARMS: Per chevron Azure and Gules in chief two Padlocks Or and in base a Female Figure representing Justice proper seated and facing to the sinister habited Argent holding in the dexter hand a Sword proper pommel and hilt Or point downwards and in the sinister hand a Balance all between two Flaunches Or each charged with a Key Gules wards downwards and inwards.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure in front of a demi Tiger Gules holding between the paws a Stafford Knot two Keys in saltire wards upwards Or.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI SUPREMA LEX' - The welfare of the people is the highest law.
Granted 10th April 1935.

willenhall udc arms

The keys and locks stand for the town's principal and historic industry. The figure of Justice represents the ideal of a local govermnent authority.
The lion and Stafford knot are from the arms of the County Council.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page