ARMS: Vert the Head of a Crosier Or and a Sickle proper in saltire.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert within a representation of the Four Stones at Clent Hills a Beech Tree proper.

Granted 25th November 1952.

Picture taken from International Civic Arms.

bromsgrove rdc arms

The green background refers to the extensive Green Belt and rural areas. The golden crozier head recalls the close connections of much of the District of times past with the Bishops of Worcester, in particular, the east side of the District where there was a Bishop's Palace at Alvechurch much frequented by Bishop Latimer. The sickle represents the ancient industry of making sickles and scythes in the western part of the district., the water-powered industry being centred upon Belbroughton.
The beech tree represent Frankley Beeches the well known landmark on the northern boundary of the District with Birmingham. The Four Stones are a folly at the top of the Clent Hills, constructed around 1750 by order of Lord Lyttelton of Hagley Hall.


ARMS: Gules on a Fesse engrailed Argent between in chief on a Mount Vert a representation of the Keep of Dudley Castle proper the sinister Tower ensigned with a Long Cross Or and in base a Salamander in Flames also proper a Trilobite between an Anchor cabled and a Davy Lamp all of the First.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or a Lion's Head Azure maned Gold collared Ermine, Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On either side an Angel proper winged Argent habited Gules girdled Or and holding in the exterior hand a Mural Crown Gold.

Motto 'SAPIENS QUI PROSPICIT' - He is wise that looks ahead.
Granted 20th March 1957.

dudley cbc arms

The shield and crest follow closely a device used as the Common Seal of the Corporation since 1866. The representation of Dudley Castle Keep is shown with a cross on the sinister tower, presumably intended to refer to the Priory which was attached to the Castle. The anchor and miner's Davy Lamp signify local industries, between them is a representation of a trilobite, a fossil animal commonly found in the limestone quarries at one time, and locally known as the "Dudley Bug" or "Dudley Locust". Coal mining and limestone quarrying have long died out in Dudley, but anchors are still made here. The salamander in flames is the traditional emblem of the smith and so is most appropriate to Dudley. Frederick Smith, first Mayor of the Municipal Borough, who conceived the design on which the Common Seal was largely based, suggested this emblem as being symbolic of the many furnaces in and around Dudley at that time. Two salamanders in flames occur on the family arms of Frederick Smith, no doubt in punning reference to the surname, and this is probably the source of his suggestion.
The lion's head is derived from the crest of the Earl of Dudley. Here it rises from a mural crown, signifying local government, instead of the original ducal coronet. It is also altered by having a gold mane and an ermine collar, which serves a double purpose in differentiating the Corporation crest from others and at the same time indicating its derivation, since the shield of the Wards, Earls of Dudley, bears a bend ermine.
The two angels derives, like the crest, from the arms of the Earl of Dudley, whose supporters are also two angels, but in accordance with the requirements of heraldry, the colours of the wings and robes are different, also the Dudley supporters are girdled and carry the mural crown.


ARMS: Azure on a Chevron Or between in chief two Cornucopiae proper the Horns Or and in base a Pear Tree issuant Or fructed Sable a Chain in chevron padlocked to the dexter and ringed to the sinister Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert in front of a representation of Broadway Tower a Lion passant queue-fourchée holding in the dexter forepaw a Cross-crosslet fitchée Gules.

Motto 'FERVET OPUS' - The work boils.
Granted 20th December 1962.

evesham rdc arms

The gold and blue colours and the chain with padlock and ring in a chevron arrangement are from the arms of Evesham Abbey, which has been important in the history of the area. The Abbey was founded by St. Egwin, Bishop of Worcester, at a spot where a herdsman of the bishop, named Eoves, was one day favoured with a vision of the Virgin Mary. A legend tells that Egwin undertook a pilgrimage to seek vindication from the Pope after a dispute with the King of Mercia. He prepared for his journey by locking shackles on his feet, and throwing the key into the River Avon. While he prayed before the tomb of the Apostles, at Rome, one of his servants brought him this very key - found inside a fish that had just been caught in the Tiber. Egwin then released himself from his self-imposed bonds and straightway obtained from the Pope an authoritative release from the load of obloquy which his enemies had striven to fasten upon him. The links of the chain and the gold chevron, suggesting a hill, can also be seen as a punning reference to the Lench Hills, the name of which are generally regarded as being derived from the Anglo-Saxon "hlinc", a rising ground or some form of ridge. The cornucopiae refer to the rich agricultural produce of the area, particularly the Vale of Evesham and the pear tree is taken from the Worcestershire CC, and is also apt for an area famous for fruit growing.
The crest features the Broadway Tower, built by the Earl of Coventry at the request of his countess about 1800. At a height of 1,031ft above sea level, it is a conspicuous land mark for miles around. No further information available.


ARMS: Per pale Argent and Or a Lion rampant double queued per pale Gules and Vert a Chief per pile reversed of the first and Azure thereon in chief two Escallops Sable and in base a Fleur-de-Lys of the second.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or an Anvil Sable the beak encircled by a Chain reflexed over the face Gold.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Canon of the Premonstratensian Order holding in the exterior hand a [closed] Book and on the sinister side a Gentleman habited in costume of the fifteenth century all proper.

Motto 'RESPICE ASPICE PROSPICE' - Look to the past, the present and the future.
Granted 16th September 1937.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

halesowen bc arms

The shield is composed of emblems representing the principal owners of the Manor of Hales. The red half of the lion represents Earl Roger of Montgomery (1066-1094) and the green half, Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester (1555). The fleur-de-lis refers to the Premonstratension Canons (1218-1538) and the scallops, the Lyttleton family, who have held the manor since 1559.
The crest refers to the iron and steel industries and the chain making industry of Cradley.
The left hand supporter is a further reference to the Canons and the right hand supporter is intended for Sir Thomas Lyttleton, Lord Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas.

See Malvern Town Council.


ARMS: Per saltire Vert and Argent two Lions rampant in pale Or and as many Crosses Flory in fess Sable.
CREST: Issuant from a saxon Crown Or a Dragon's Head between two Wings Gules.

Motto 'ANTIQUUM DECUS FLOREAT' - Let its ancient glory florish.
Granted 15th April 1926.

Incorporated into the County Borough of Warley in 1966 and then into the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell in 1974.

oldbury bc arms

The gold lions on green are taken from the arms of the Robsarts, the distinguished ancient family prominent in the medieval history of Oldbury. The fact that Oldbury "Ealdanbyrig" was so called by the Saxons indicated that they found an ancient British settlement here. The red dragon is that of the British, and the crosses and crown refers to the Saxons.


ARMS: Sable on a Chevron between in chief two Plums and in base a Garb Or three Holly Leaves Vert a Base barry wavy Argent and Azure.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set alternately upon a Rim Or a Pear Tree fructed proper; Mantled Sable doubled Or.

Motto 'PROGREDI ET CONSERVARE' - Progress with preservation .
Granted 20th June 1962.

pershore rdc arms
pershore abbey arms
Arms of Pershore Abbey

The black background of the shield, the chevron and holly leaves are taken from the arms used by Pershore Abbey. The anthills in the Abbey's arms are replaced by two plums in the top part of the shield and a wheatsheaf in the base, refering to the local horticultural and agricultural pursuits. The white and blue wavy base represent the River Avon.
The coronet is designed for used by rural district councils and the pear tree is taken from the arms of the Worcestershire CC.


ARMS: Azure the Span of a Bridge Argent masoned Sable suspended therefrom by a Chain of the last a Fleece and in chief two Pears slipped and leaved all Or.

Granted 6th November 1917.

stourbridgr bc arms

The name of the Borough and its close connection with the County of Worcester are symbolized by the bridge and the two pears, whilst the fleece and the chain suspending it are typical of the skin and leather dressing and chain cable industries, carried on in the Borough.
The motto expresses the singleness of mind and purpose animating the members of the Council.


ARMS: Per fesse Gules and Sable on a Fesse barry wavy of six Argent and Azure between in chief two Cross Crosslets and in base a Crescent Or two Pallets that to the dexter embattled counter-embattled of the last.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure On a Mount Vert in front of a Pear Tree proper fructed Sable a Pelican Or vulning herself Gules.

Granted 18th November 1948.

upton-upon-severn rdc arms

The crosslets are from the arms of the Beauchamp family of Elmley Castle, and the crescent is from the arms of the Coventry family of Earls Croome, Earls of Coventry. The white and blue waves represent the River Severn, crossed by the old and new bridges, indicated by the embattled and plain pallets respectively.
The pelican in its piety is from the crest of the Lechmeres of Hanley Castle, and the pear tree is taken from the arms of the Worcestershire CC.


ARMS: Per saltire Vert and Or two Lions rampant in pale Or in fess of either flank a Club in bend sinister surmounted by a Caduceus in bend proper on a Chief Or a Lion passant Vert.
CREST: Issuant from a Saxon Crown Or a demi Lion rampant double queued Vert holding with the dexter paw an Arrow barb downwards proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion Gules in the mouth an Arrow proper on the sinister side a Dragon Gules in the mouth an Anchor Or.

Granted 30th June 1966.

The County Borough of Warley was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Oldbury, the Borough of Rowley Regis and the County Borough of Smethwick on the 1st April 1966.

warley cbc arms

The lion passant on the chief is from the arms of the Borough of Rowley Regis, and the per saltire division of the field of green and gold was suggested by the arms of the Borough of Oldbury. The gold lions on a green background were from the arms of the Robsart family, while the crossed club and caduceus were the arms of James Watt, and appered in the arms of the County Borough of Smethwick.
The crest features a Saxon crown from which rises a green double-tailed lion, emblem of the Suttons, mediaeval lords of Dudley. The lion holds an arrow from tha arms of Matthew Boulton.
The supporters are a red lion and dragon. The lion is from the arms of Sir James Timmins Chance, while the dragon is intended to represent the ancient Britons, founders of the "old burh" or Oldbury. For difference both animals hold objects in their mouths: an arrow (as in the crest) and an anchor (for Cradley Heath's traditional industry).

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page