DUDLEY COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Fesse engrailed Argent between in chief on a Mount Vert a representation of the Keep of Dudley Castle proper the sinister Tower ensigned with a Long Cross Or and in base a Salamander in Flames also proper a Trilobite between an Anchor cabled and a Davy Lamp all of the First.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or a Lion's Head Azure maned Gold collared Ermine, Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On either side an Angel proper winged Argent habited Gules girdled Or and holding in the exterior hand a Mural Crown Gold.

Motto 'SAPIENS QUI PROSPICIT' - He is wise that looks ahead.
Granted 20th March 1957.

dudley cbc arms

The shield and crest follow closely a device used as the Common Seal of the Corporation since 1866. The representation of Dudley Castle Keep is shown with a cross on the sinister tower, presumably intended to refer to the Priory which was attached to the Castle. The anchor and miner's Davy Lamp signify local industries, between them is a representation of a trilobite, a fossil animal commonly found in the limestone quarries at one time, and locally known as the "Dudley Bug" or "Dudley Locust". Coal mining and limestone quarrying have long died out in Dudley, but anchors are still made here. The salamander in flames is the traditional emblem of the smith and so is most appropriate to Dudley. Frederick Smith, first Mayor of the Municipal Borough, who conceived the design on which the Common Seal was largely based, suggested this emblem as being symbolic of the many furnaces in and around Dudley at that time. Two salamanders in flames occur on the family arms of Frederick Smith, no doubt in punning reference to the surname, and this is probably the source of his suggestion.
The lion's head is derived from the crest of the Earl of Dudley. Here it rises from a mural crown, signifying local government, instead of the original ducal coronet. It is also altered by having a gold mane and an ermine collar, which serves a double purpose in differentiating the Corporation crest from others and at the same time indicating its derivation, since the shield of the Wards, Earls of Dudley, bears a bend ermine.
The two angels derives, like the crest, from the arms of the Earl of Dudley, whose supporters are also two angels, but in accordance with the requirements of heraldry, the colours of the wings and robes are different, also the Dudley supporters are girdled and carry the mural crown.


EVESHAM RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Chevron Or between in chief two Cornucopiae proper the Horns Or and in base a Pear Tree issuant Or fructed Sable a Chain in chevron padlocked to the dexter and ringed to the sinister Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert in front of a representation of Broadway Tower a Lion passant queue-fourchée holding in the dexter forepaw a Cross-crosslet fitchée Gules.

Motto 'FERVET OPUS'.
Granted 20th December 1962.

evesham rdc arms

The gold and blue colours and the chain with padlock and ring in a chevron arrangement are from the arms of Evesham Abbey, which has been important in the history of the area. The Abbey was founded by St. Egwin, Bishop of Worcester, at a spot where a herdsman of the bishop, named Eoves, was one day favoured with a vision of the Virgin Mary. A legend tells that Egwin undertook a pilgrimage to seek vindication from the Pope after a dispute with the King of Mercia. He prepared for his journey by locking shackles on his feet, and throwing the key into the River Avon. While he prayed before the tomb of the Apostles, at Rome, one of his servants brought him this very key - found inside a fish that had just been caught in the Tiber. Egwin then released himself from his self-imposed bonds and straightway obtained from the Pope an authoritative release from the load of obloquy which his enemies had striven to fasten upon him. The links of the chain and the gold chevron, suggesting a hill, can also be seen as a punning reference to the Lench Hills, the name of which are generally regarded as being derived from the Anglo-Saxon "hlinc", a rising ground or some form of ridge. The cornucopiae refer to the rich agricultural produce of the area, particularly the Vale of Evesham and the pear tree is taken from the Worcestershire CC, and is also apt for an area famous for fruit growing.
The crest features the Broadway Tower, built by the Earl of Coventry at the request of his countess about 1800. At a height of 1,031ft above sea level, it is a conspicuous land mark for miles around. No further information available.


HALESOWEN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Argent and Or a Lion rampant double queued per pale Gules and Vert a Chief per pile reversed of the first and Azure thereon in chief two Escallops Sable and in base a Fleur-de-Lys of the second.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or an Anvil Sable the beak encircled by a Chain reflexed over the face Gold.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Canon of the Premonstratensian Order holding in the exterior hand a [closed] Book and on the sinister side a Gentleman habited in costume of the fifteenth century all proper.

Motto 'RESPICE ASPICE PROSPICE' - Look to the past, the present and the future.
Granted 16th September 1937.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

halesowen bc arms

The shield is composed of emblems representing the principal owners of the Manor of Hales. The red half of the lion represents Earl Roger of Montgomery (1066-1094) and the green half, Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester (1555). The fleur-de-lis refers to the Premonstratension Canons (1218-1538) and the scallops, the Lyttleton family, who have held the manor since 1559.
The crest refers to the iron and steel industries and the chain making industry of Cradley.
The left hand supporter is a further reference to the Canons and the right hand supporter is intended for Sir Thomas Lyttleton, Lord Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas.


KIDDERMINSTER BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure two Chevronels Or each charged with five Pellets between in chief two Shuttles chevronwise Or threaded Gules and in base a Bee volant Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount Vert a Kid passant Or holding over the dexter shoulder a Long Cross Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Ram Or armed and unguled Gules and on the sinister side a Stag Or attired and unguled Gules.
BADGE: Within a Circlet of Bezants conjoined a Kid Or holding over the dexter shoulder a Long Cross Gules.

Motto 'DEO JUVANTE ARTE ET INDUSTRIA FLORET' - With God's help, it flourishes by art and industry.
Granted 10th June 1963.

kidderminster bc arms
kidderminster old arms
Former unofficial Arms

The arms are based upon the unofficial arms previously used by the Borough, which were adopted at some point in the 18th century, as they appear in that form in a cartouche on Doharty's 1753 map of the town. There seems little doubt that the Borough appropriated, with the substitution of bezants for plates, the existing arms of Kidderminster Inn, a house in Chancery Lane in London occupied by lawyers of the Court of Chancery. Kidderminster Inn had been built by Edmund Kedermister or Kidderminster of Langley Marish, Buckinghamshire around 1600, and he adapted his family coat of arms [Azure two chevronels Or between three Bezants] for the arms of the building. When the Corporation of Kidderminster, realising, it would seem, that the arms of Kidderminster Inn were an adaptation of those of the Kidderminster family, took details from both sources, e.g. the bezants from the family coat of arms and the four roundels per chevron from those of Kidderminster Inn. Another theory is that the black roundels added for difference may have been suggested by the red roundels in the arms of the See of Worcester.
When the new arms were granted in 1963, the gold roundels or bezants were removed and the black roundels or pellets were increased. The bee sym­bolises industry and the two shuttles represent the carpet trade of the town.
The kid and cross, symbolising a minster church, are a canting or punning in visual terms reference to the name 'Kidderminster'.
The ram symbolises the wool used in carpet-making and the stag is from the heraldry of the Clares. Sir Ralph Clare of Caldwell was first High Steward of the Borough and an important local landowner.


MALVERN URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
See Malvern Town Council.

OLDBURY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per saltire Vert and Argent two Lions rampant in pale Or and as many Crosses Flory in fess Sable.
CREST: Issuant from a saxon Crown Or a Dragon's Head between two Wings Gules.

Motto 'ANTIQUUM DECUS FLOREAT' - Let its ancient glory florish.
Granted 15th April 1926.

Incorporated into the County Borough of Warley in 1966 and then into the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell in 1974.

oldbury bc arms

The gold lions on green are taken from the arms of the Robsarts, the distinguished ancient family prominent in the medieval history of Oldbury. The fact that Oldbury "Ealdanbyrig" was so called by the Saxons indicated that they found an ancient British settlement here. The red dragon is that of the British, and the crosses and crown refers to the Saxons.


PERSHORE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable on a Chevron between in chief two Plums and in base a Garb Or three Holly Leaves Vert a Base barry wavy Argent and Azure.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set alternately upon a Rim Or a Pear Tree fructed proper; Mantled Sable doubled Or.

Motto 'PROGREDI ET CONSERVARE' - Progress with preservation .
Granted 20th June 1962.

pershore rdc arms
pershore abbey arms
Arms of Pershore Abbey

The black background of the shield, the chevron and holly leaves are taken from the arms used by Pershore Abbey. The anthills in the Abbey's arms are replaced by two plums in the top part of the shield and a wheatsheaf in the base, refering to the local horticultural and agricultural pursuits. The white and blue wavy base represent the River Avon.
The coronet is designed for used by rural district councils and the pear tree is taken from the arms of the Worcestershire CC.


STOURBRIDGE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure the Span of a Bridge Argent masoned Sable suspended therefrom by a Chain of the last a Fleece and in chief two Pears slipped and leaved all Or.

Motto 'ONE HEART ONE WAY'.
Granted 6th November 1917.

stourbridgr bc arms

The name of the Borough and its close connection with the County of Worcester are symbolized by the bridge and the two pears, whilst the fleece and the chain suspending it are typical of the skin and leather dressing and chain cable industries, carried on in the Borough.
The motto expresses the singleness of mind and purpose animating the members of the Council.


UPTON-UPON-SEVERN RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse Gules and Sable on a Fesse barry wavy of six Argent and Azure between in chief two Cross Crosslets and in base a Crescent Or two Pallets that to the dexter embattled counter-embattled of the last.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure On a Mount Vert in front of a Pear Tree proper fructed Sable a Pelican Or vulning herself Gules.

Motto 'UPTON SUPER SABRINAM'.
Granted 18th November 1948.

upton-upon-severn rdc arms

The crosslets are from the arms of the Beauchamp family of Elmley Castle, and the crescent is from the arms of the Coventry family of Earls Croome, Earls of Coventry. The white and blue waves represent the River Severn, crossed by the old and new bridges, indicated by the embattled and plain pallets respectively.
The pelican in its piety is from the crest of the Lechmeres of Hanley Castle, and the pear tree is taken from the arms of the Worcestershire CC.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page