THAMES VALLEY AND CHILTERNS AREA
thames valley and chilterns map
The Thames Valley and Chilterns Area is formed from the northern part of the South East and the western part of the Eastern Government Office Regions. I have named it after the River Thames and the Chiltern Hills.
It includes the historic counties of Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire.
In terms of former administrative counties it includes Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire.
In terms of ceremonial counties is includes Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire.
  1. Cherwell Oxon (no arms)
  2. West Oxfordshire Oxon (no arms)
  3. Oxford Oxon
  4. Vale of White Horse Oxon
  5. South Oxfordshire Oxon
  6. Milton Keynes UA Bucks
  7. Aylesbury Vale Bucks
  8. Wycombe Bucks (no arms)
  9. Chiltern Bucks
  10. South Buckinghamshire Bucks
  11. West Berkshire UA Berks
  12. Reading UA Berks
  13. Wokingham UA Berks
  14. Slough UA Berks
  15. Windsor and Maidenhead UA Berks
  16. Bracknell Forest UA Berks (no arms)
  17. Bedford UA Beds
  18. Central Bedfordshire UA Beds (no arms)
  19. Luton UA Beds
  20. Dacorum Herts
  21. Watford Herts
  22. Three Rivers Herts (no arms)
  23. North Herfordshire Herts
  24. Stevenage Herts
  25. St Albans Herts
  26. Hertsmere Herts
  27. Welwyn Hatfield Herts
  28. East Hertfordshire Herts (no arms)
  29. Broxbourne Herts

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Sable a Swan rousant proper ducally gorged with Chain reflexed over the back Or on a Chief of the last a Roundel per chevron a Cross at the point Vert and Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount a Beech Tree eradicated proper enfiled with a Saxon Crown Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Stag and on the sinister side a Swan rousant both proper.

Motto 'VESTIGIA NULLA RETRORSUM' - No backward step.
Granted 23rd March 1948.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

bucks cc arms

The swan was a badge of the ancient family of De Bohn, and of the Giffards who were Earls of Buckingham, and then of the Staffords, the first Dukes of Buckingham. The last two families owned the important castle at Buckingham. The background shows the Stafford livery colours of red and black. The roundel bears a representation of Whiteleaf Cross, a prehistoric feature of the County, and a conspicuous landmark. It has been conjectured that it celebrates some early Christian victory over Pagan forces.
The beech tree stands for the famous beech woods of the Chiltern Hills, perhaps the best known feature of the County. The Saxon crown about its trunk refers to the fact that the Saxons were the first settlers in the greater part of the County.
The buck is allusive to the name, and also refers to the park lands of North Buckinghamshire. The swan differs from the one in the arms in being free - that is, it has no collar and chain - and is thus an emblem of the River Thames. The supporters thus represent North and South Buckinghamshire.
The motto, appropriate to a progressive local authority, is that of the Buckinghamshire patriot, John Hampden, and of the Earl of Buckinghamshire.


HERTFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of eight Azure and Argent an Inescutcheon Or charged with a Hart lodged proper. The shield surmounted by a Mural Crown as a Crest.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Hart proper gorged with a Chain Or pendant therefrom an Escutcheon Azure charged with a Saltire Or.

Motto 'TRUST AND FEAR NOT'.
Granted 3rd June 1925.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

hertfordshire cc arms

The blue and white waves are held to represent the many rivers of the County, and the small shield and hart are taken from the arms of the Borough of Hertford.
The small shields about the supporters' necks bear the arms of the City of St. Albans. At the time of the grant the County Council met in Hertford and St. Albans.
The motto is said to have been chosen by Sir Charles Nall-Cain, Bt., who served as High Sheriff of the County in 1925 and bore the cost of the grant.


OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure two Bendlets wavy Argent between in chief a Garb Or and in base an Oak Tree fructed Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Gules a Grassy Mount proper thereon an Oxford Down Ram proper gorged with a Collar Azure charged with a Barrulet wavy fesswise Argent; Mantled Azure doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter an Ox guardant Gules gorged with a Collar Azure charged with a Barrulet wavy Argent and on the sinister a Horse Argent gorged with a like Collar on a Compartment comprising a Grassy Mound furrowed per pale and the lower edge excavated proper.

Granted 25th May 1976.

oxfordshire cc arms

The arms are based on the former arms of the County Council. The background colour of the shield is Oxford blue, representing Oxford Universty, and the silver wavy bands represent the River Thames and its main tributaries. The wheatsheaf and oak tree with acorns represent the agriculture and woods, which are the other outstanding features of the County.
The red mural crown is an appropriate heraldic emblem for county councils. The mound, in its natural green colour, represents the Mound of Oxford Castle. County government has been inextricably connected with the Castle site since the Castle itself was founded in 1071 by Robert d'Oilli in the reign of William the Conqueror. In the grant of arms, the inclusion of the Castle Mound, which dates from that time, is intended to symbolise this very close connection between the Castle and the County. County government has been transacted on this site for many centuries and it was the place of the ancient Shire Hall and now of the modern County Hall. The County acquired the freehold of the Castle site south of New Road in 1785 and so its historic nature and the County's interest in it can well be understood. The ram is of the famous local breed and symbolises the connection of the County with the wool trade for many hundreds of years. The former arms had such rams as supporters and like them this one wears a blue collar with a wavy silver band laid on it to represent the Oxfordshire rivers, as on the shield.
Following the reorganisation of local government in 1974, Oxfordshire was enlarged by the addition of the City of Oxford and an area of north Berkshire. The red ox is an taken from the arms of the City of Oxford, with its punning red ox crossing a ford. The former arms had an ox's head, with the same significance. The white horse adapted from the former arms of the Berkshire CC, as most of the area transferred from Berkshire is within the Vale of White Horse. Again their collars represent the Oxfordshire rivers. The supporters rest on a grassy mound which is broken by a central furrow and edged with earth, a further allusion to the importance of agriculture in Oxfordshire.


AYLESBURY VALE DISTRICT COUNCIL (BUCKS)

ARMS: Vert a Mute Swan rousant proper gorged with a Saxon Crown Or in chief a Bar wavy Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert a Cornucopia fesswise Or replenished with Fruit and Cereals perched thereon an Aylesbury Duck close proper.
SUPPORTERS On either side a Fallow Buck holding in the mouth a Sprig of six Beech Leaves proper and gorged with a Collar dancetty Vert.
BADGE: On an Oval per pale Gules and Sable environed of a Torse Argent and Vert an Aylesbury Duck close holding in the beak a Sprig of six Beech Leaves proper.

Motto 'CONCORDIA PRORSUM' - Forward in harmony.
Granted 1978?.

The Aylesbury Vale District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Aylesbury, the Borough of Buckingham, the Aylesbury Rural District, the Buckingham Rural District, the Wing Rural District and part of the Winslow Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

aylesbury vale dc arms
aylesbury vale badge
Badge

The green background indicates the fertility of the Vale. The main area is occupied by the traditional White Swan of Buckingham which is common to the arms of the County Council and the Borough of Aylesbury and the Borough of Buckingham. In the two former arms the swan has a gold ducal crown about the neck, with a gold chain attached, though in the Buckingham arms recorded at the Visitations the crown has no chain. In the Aylesbury arms it has no crown, like the County Council's Swan supporter. Here the swan's neck is encircled by the gold Saxon crown from the County crest seen also in red in the arms of Aylesbury. The white wave represents the River Ouse in its course across the District's northerly parts. The whole shield thus indicates this fertile rural area of Buckinghamshire watered mainly by the Ouse.
The colours of the wreath indicate the green of the Vale and the white of the Chiltern chalk. The gold cornucopia denotes the Vale's agriculture and associated industries, on which stands the characteristic Aylesbury Duck from the Aylesbury crest.
The two fallow bucks are like that which supports the arms of the County Council in allusion to the name. The collars in the form of a green 'W' are placed round their necks for difference and suggest the Rural Districts of Wing and Winslow. Each holds in the mouth a sprig of six beech leaves from the tree in the County crest, representing the union of six former Buckinghamshire areas in the District.
The idea of co-operation and progress is expressed in the motto. The word 'CONCORDIA' is part of the motto of the de Rothschild family, and 'PRORSUM' is part of the motto of Aylesbury, suggested by the idea of progress implied in the County motto.


BEDFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (BEDS)

ARMS 1: Per pale Argent and Gules a Fesse Azure.
ARMS 2: Argent an Eagle displayed wings inverted and head turned towards the sinister Sable ducally crowned and surmounted by a Castle of three tiers Or.

Recorded at Visitations on 7th June 1566 and in 1634. Exemplified to the North Bedfordshire Borough Council (later renamed Bedford Borough Council) by the Kings of Arms on the 30th December 1977 following a Royal Warrant dated 29th Aprl 1977.

The Borough of Bedford was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Bedford, the Kempston Urban District and the Bedford Rural District.

bedford bc arms
bedford bc arms

Bedford uses both shields, the upper arms are the proper arms, the lower arms are often used as a badge. The arms with the eagle are used more widely however. There is much conjecture about the origin of both arms.
The upper arms may be derived from a banner, the right may be derived from the arms of the last member of the Beauchamp family, Lords of Bedford, who was killed in 1265. Another theory is that they are intended to suggest a town divided north and south by the highway, east and west by the river.
The castle on the eagle is taken from the oldest known seal of Bedford, dating from the 15th century. The second seal also showed the castle, but flanked by two salamanders. It also dates from the 14th century. The eagle and castle appear on the seals in 1836. The last male of the Beauchamps of Bedford, who held the barony and castle and was killed at the Battle of Evesham in 1265, is said to have borne a shield with an eagle, unlike the rest of the family, and since the barony then fell into abeyance between his daughters, the town may have adopted the eagle to remind themselves that they had no overlord. Mr Gale Pedrick, in Borough Seals, states: 'the eagle is derived from the bearings of the Beauchamps, the ancient Barons of Bedford, namely, argent, an eagle sable, beak and claws or.' But the arms of the Beauchamps of Bedford were gold and red quarters with a black bend. It seems that the designer of the fifteenth-century seal on which the arms of Bedford were based may have incorporated the eagle of another family of Beauchamps or it may be the eagle of the last of the Beauchamps mentioned above. The castle is probably intended to represent the old stronghold of the Beauchamps.
Both coats of arms are used without either crest, motto or supporters.


BROXBOURNE BOROUGH COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Per pale wavy Ermine and Gules on a Chevron Or between in dexter chief a Rose Gules slipped and leaved dimidiated with a Thistle slipped proper in sinister chief an Oak Tree eradicated proper fructed Or and in base a Catherine Wheel Sable a Chevron couped per pale wavy Gules and Ermine.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules, a demi Badger proper holding in the paws a Cross Formy Or.

Motto 'COR UNUM VIA UNA' - One heart, one way.
Granted: 4th December 1974.

The Borough of Broxbourne was formed by the amalgamation of the Cheshunt Urban District and the Hoddesdon Urban District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

broxbourne bc arms

The ermine field on the left half of the shield, like the ermine pale in the arms of the Cheshunt UDC, represents Ermine Street, the Roman road which passed through the Borough. The wavy line represents the New River and the River Lea. These physical features are common to both Hoddesdon and Cheshunt. The two chevrons are taken from the arms of Sir John Say, a mediaeval knight and politician who owned extensive lands in both Broxbourne and Cheshunt. His tomb and brass, on which his arms appear, are in Broxbourne Church. The rose and thistle, one of the badges of King James I, the first sovereign to wear the crowns of England and Scotland, recalls the fact that James owned Theobalds in Cheshunt. This badge also appeared on the arms of the Cheshunt UDC. The tree, is taken from the arms of Cheshunt and the device used by the Hoddesdon UDC. In the case of Cheshunt this was a reference to Goff's Oak, while in the Hoddesdon device the species is not apparent but, it symbolised the wooded nature of the western part of the district, in these arms the oak tree is therefore doubly significant. The Catherine wheel is taken from the device of the Hoddesdon UDC and is a reference to the ancient chapel, dedicated to St. Catherine, erected in 1336 by William de la Marche, which stood in the centre of the town.
The cross formy, as in the crest of Cheshunt, is taken from the arms of the Meux family, late of Theobalds, who were the benefactors to Cheshunt. The badger appeared in the device of the Hoddesdon UDC and was used by many of the ancient families of Broxbourne in their arms, since the name Broxbourne means 'brock's or badger's stream'.


CHILTERN DISTRICT COUNCIL (BUCKS)

ARMS: Or on a Mount in base with Chalk Outcrops two Beech Trees in fess their interior leaves merging proper a Chief chequy Argent and Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules out of a Circlet per pale Gules and Sable charged with six Plates three being manifest a Mount Vert thereon a Wyvern wings expanded Gules and gorged with a Ducal Coronet Or.
BADGE: On a Bezant environed of a Torse Or and Gules a Mount thereon two Beech Trees as in the arms.

Motto 'FREELY WE SERVE'.
Granted 10th June 1975.

The Chiltern District was formed by the amalgamation of the Chesham Urban District and the Amersham Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

chiltern dc arms
chiltern badge
Badge

The two beech trees from the arms of the Chesham UDC, with their leaves mingled on a chalky hill, on a gold background, represent two united Chiltern authorities. The chequered pattern from the same arms, is an heraldic reference to the Chess Valley.
The red and gold of the wreath are in the heraldic liveries of the arms of the County Council. The circlet in red and black, is the basis of the County shield, derived from the liveries of the Earls and Dukes of Buckingham. This, like the red and black 'chief' in the arms of the Amersham RDC, bears three white roundels from the arms of the Penn family. The red wyvern of the Drake family, is also taken from the Amersham arms, the gold ducal coronet about its neck refers to the Dukes of Bedford.
The badge repeats the beech trees on the hill from the shield, set on a gold roundel surrounded by a red and gold wreath like that in the crest.
The motto was previously used by the Amersham RDC and is a quotation from 'Paradise Lost', in reference to Milton's residence in the district at Chalfont St. Giles.


DACORUM BOROUGH COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Or seven Oak Leaves stalks inward Vert radiating from a Tudor Rose proper.
CREST: A Sprig of seven Oak Leaves proper and Acorns Or inflected to the sinister out of a Mural Crown Or, Mantled Or and Gules.
SUPPORTERS: Two Stags in trian aspect proper attired and unguled Or gorged with a Wreath Or and Gules ribbons flowing outward depending therefrom a Bezant charged with Oak Leaves and a Tudor Rose as in the Arms. Standing on a Compartment Vert strewn with Sprigs of Oak Leaves proper and Acorns Or.

Granted 21st January 1992

The Borough of Dacorum was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Hemel Hempstead, the Berkhamsted Urban District, the Tring Urban District, the Berkhamsted Rural District, the Hemel Hemstead Rural District, part of the St. Albans Rural District and part of the Watford Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

dacorum bc arms

The Tudor rose recalls Hemel Hempstead's connection with Henry VIII, who granted the Borough its first charter and the Tudor connections of other parts of the Borough. The oak leaves represent the seven districts or parts of disticts which were unified in Dacorum in 1974.
The mural crown is a reference to Berkhamsted Castle.
The stags or harts refer to the supporters of the County Council's Arms, as well as the stags which were the insignia of the Tring UDC.


HERTSMERE BOROUGH COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Or on an embattled Wall of grey stone throughout in base proper pierced with a Gate therein a Portcullis raised Sable a Hart Royal at gaze proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure in front of an Oak Tree proper fructed Or a demi Hart Royal guardant proper gorged with a Mural Crown Or and resting the sinister forehoof on a Cinematograph Spool loaded with film proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Hart Royal guardant proper gorged with a Mural Crown Or that on the dexter charged on the shoulder with an Artist's Palette proper and that on the sinister with a Potter's Wheel Or.
BADGE: On a Roundel Or environed of a Garland of Oak proper fructed Or issuant from an embattled Wall of grey stone throughout in base a Hart Royal's Head affronty proper.

Motto 'DO WELL AND FEAR NOT'.
Granted 5th September 1975.

The Borough of Hertsmere was formed by the amalgamation of the Bushey Urban District, the Potters Bar Urban District, the Elstree Rural District and the Parish of Aldenham from the Watford Rural District.

hertsmere bc arms
potters bar device
Device used by the
Potters Bar UDC
hertsmere badge
Badge

The hart and gateway symbolise the name Hertsmere, which means the Hertfordshire boundary (with Greater London). The hart is derived from the arms of the County Council and the wall represents the boundary, the raised portcullis denoting free passage between the two 'territories', together with the idea of the protection of Herfordshire's amenities.
The oak is from the arms of the Elstree RDC and represents 'Tidwulf's Tree', which also featured in the device of Watford RDC, from whose area Aldenham is taken. The hart and spool of film are taken from the crest of Elstree RDC and refer to the County and the film industry.
The harts are a further refernce to the County and the devices of Bushey UDC and Potters Bar UDC both contained a hart. That on the left is charged with an artist's palette from the Bushey UDC device and that on the right with a potter's wheel from the Potters Bar UDC device. The mural crowns are emblems of civic government.
The motto is that of the Elstree RDC.


LUTON BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (BEDS)

ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Azure on a Cross Argent between a Garb in the first quarter a Bee-hive in the second a Rose slipped and leaved in the third and a thistle also slipped and leaved in the fourth all proper a Bee volant of the last.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert a Cubit Arm in bend vested Azure cuff Argent the hand proper holding seven Ears of Wheat Or.

Granted 25th July 1876. Transferred by Order in Council made 21st May 1974. Exemplified 25th November 1974.

luton bc arms

The bee is the emblem of industry, and the hive represents in particular the straw-plaiting industry for which Luton became famous. The wheatsheaf represents agriculture and the excellent supply of wheaten straw. The straw-plaiting industry was started locally by a colony of straw plaiters who followed James I from Scotland, and settled under the protection of Sir Robert Napier of Luton Hoo. The arms of the Napier family contain a rose, and it is likely that the rose in the arms bears reference to the patron of the straw plaiters, while the thistle denotes the country whence they came. An alternative theory is that the rose was incorporated as a national emblem, and the thistle was taken to indicate the connection of the Borough for a long period with the Marquess of Bute, who formerly owned the Manor of Luton Hoo.
The seven ears of wheat held by the hand carry on the motive of the wheatsheaf, but they may also allude to John Whethamsteade, Abbot of St. Albans, who in the fifteenth century rebuilt the chancel of St. Mary's Church, Luton, where his arms, three bunches of ears of wheat, may still be seen.


MILTON KEYNES BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (BUCKS)

*ARMS: Barry of seven Vair and Gules issuant from the base an Oak Tree of five branches fructed the trunk enfiled by a Mural Crown Or.
*CREST On a Wreath Argent and Gules the Battlements of a Tower proper perched thereon between two Branches of Oak fructed an Eagle displayed wings inverted and gorged with a Collar dancetty Gules.
*SUPPORTERS On either side a Fallow Buck each charged on the shoulder with a Double Axe proper.

Motto 'BY KNOWLEDGE DESIGN AND UNDERSTANDING'.
Granted ?.

The Borough of Milton Keynes was formed by the amalgamation of the Bletchley Urban District, the Newport Pagnell Urban District, the Wolverton Urban District, the Newport Pagnell Rural District and part of the Wing Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

milton keyes bc arms

The alternate white and blue bars and red bars are from the arms of the Keynes family, and symbolize the historical background of Milton Keynes. The oak tree with five branches symbolizes the steady growth of the new single authority from the five constituent ones, and is ringed by a mural crown, a common symbol of local government.
The battlement of a tower are from the crest of Newport Pagnell UDC, where they refered to the ancient castle of the Paganels, they can also be seen as refering to the other Norman castles of the area (Castlethorpe, Lavendon, Wolverton and Old Bradwell). The eagle was common to the arms of the Bletchley UDC and the Newport Pagnell RDC, and refers to the area's many Roman associations - Watling Street and the military camp of Magiovintum, to the south-east of Fenny Stratford.
The bucks are a reminder of the dexter supporter of the arms of the County Council, each is charged on the shoulder with a symbol unique in civic heraldry - the Double Axe (a prominent symbol of authority in ancient Crete, being found carved on the walls of Minoan cities, the earliest known form of planned community). The axe also refers to the location within the Borough of the new city of Milton Keynes, whose Development Corporation uses a graphic derived from the axe.
The motto not only refers to the location in the Borough of two of the nation's most modern concepts, the Open University and the new city, but also names the qualities required in a forward-looking authority.


NORTH HERTFORDSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Chevronny of six Or and Gules a Pale Ermine on a Chief Vert a Fleece between two Garbs of Barley Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours two sprigs of Oak in saltire fructed proper enfiling a Mural Crown Or perched thereon a hooded Crow (Corvus cornix cornix) close proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Hart attired of ten tynes proper gorged with a Coronet pendent therefrom a Pentagon Or charged with a Cogwheel Sable

Motto 'MEMORES ACTI PRUDENTES FUTURI'.
Granted 16th January 1975.

The North Hertfordshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Baldock Urban District, the Hitchin Urban District, The Letchworth Urban District, the Royston Urban District and the Hitchin Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

north hertfordshire dc arms

The gold and red chevrons recall those in the arms of the Baldock UDC, these are from the arms of Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke. They also suggest the white and red chvrons in the arms of Letchworth UDC. The ermine pale refers to Ermine Street which crosses the eastern part of the District. The fleece like that in the crest of the Hitchin UDC, indicates the former importance of the wool trade, and the sheaves of Barley common to the arms of the Baldock UDC and the Hitchin UDC refer to the malt industry.
The sprigs of Oak are like those in the crest of the Letchworth UDC and the mural crown is an emblem of civic government. The hooded crow from the crest of the Royston UDC, is a bird perculiar to the District.
The harts link the arms to those of the County Council and the pentagons refer to the union of five former authorities. The cogwheels are for industry.


OXFORD CITY COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Argent an Ox Gules armed and unguled Or passing over a Ford of Water in base barry wavy Azure and Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion rampant guardant Azure crowned with an Imperial Crown proper holding between the paws a Rose Gules charged with another Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Elephant Ermines eared Argent tusked Or collared and lined Or and on the sinister side a Beaver Vert its tail barry wavy [= scaly] Azure and Argent ducally gorged and lined Or.

Motto 'FORTIS EST VERITS' - Strong is truth.
Arms, crest and supporters recorded at the Visitation on 12 August 1634. The crest differs from that granted with the supporters in 1574.

oxford city arms
oxford city arms

The device on the shield, which appeared on a 14th century seal, recalls the suggestion that a ford for oxen crossing the River Thames was the origin of this famous city. An alternative theory is that the syllable "ox" is a variant of an old Celtic word meaning "water".
The crest is composed of royal emblems.
The significance of the supporters is unknown. The beaver probably refers to the River Thames, but also appears in the arms of a family associated with the City's history, as does the elephant.
The shield is sometimes shown encircled with a blue ribbon charged with four golden roses and four golden fleurs-de-lis set alternately. The lion in the crest is sometimes shown gold and scattered with blue fleurs-de-lis.


READING BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (BERKS)

ARMS: Azure five Maidens' Heads in saltire couped at the shoulders and vested proper each crined and wearing a Necklace and Pendant Or the centre head imperially crowned Gold the Cap Gules in fess the Letters RE also Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure issuant from a Circlet of four [inverted] Escallops and as many Lyres alternating Or a Mitre proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Ram Argent armed and unguled Or charged on the shoulder the dexter with a Portcullis chained Azure the sinister with a Hurt thereon a Plate charged with two Bars wavy also Azure.

Motto 'A DEO ET REGINA' - From God and the Queen.
Arms recorded at Visitations of 1566, 1623 and 1665. Certified 22nd September 1893, with considerable differences in details. Crest and supporters granted 20 May 1953, to the Reading County Borough Council.

The Borough of Reading ia coterminious with the former County Borough of Reading.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

reading bc arms

Until the new grant in 1953, the arms of the Borough of Reading consisted merely of the blue shield on which are the five maidens' heads. These were granted in 1566, and was definitely based on the common seal of the town which was in use as early as 1365, the date of the earliest example still surviving, and was probably of much earlier date. In this seal, still in use today, the heads are those of men, the middle one wearing a Saxon crown. It has been suggested that the central head represented Edward, King of the English (975-8), assassinated at the instigation of his stepmother, Queen Elfrida, in order that her own son should occupy the throne. In expiation of her crime, Elfrida founded a nunnery at Readirg on the site of St Mary's Church. The letters "R E" are found on the arms of the 1566 Grant but omitted in the one of 1623 and subsequently, until restored in 1953. The exact meaning of the letters "R E" in the 1566 grant is not known. Some authorities consider that they stood for the two first letters of the name of the town. As their first known use was in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, some consider that they stood for "Regina Elizabetha". Their reintroduction in the present arms may also be regarded as a tribute to Queen Elizabeth II, in whose coronation year these new arms were granted.
The Abbot's mitre commemorates the once magnificent Reading Abbey. The escallop shells, once used as badges by pilgrims, represent the pilgrims or palmers who came there from all parts and the lyres are symbolic of the Abbey's musical fame.
The two rams represent the early wool trade of Reading. The portcullis represents the Borough and the two blue waves on the silver roundel symbolise the rivers Thames and Kennet, which flow through Reading.


ST ALBANS CITY AND DISTRICT COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Azure a Saltire Or.
*CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Or a demi Figure of a Knight armed of the period circa 1215 holding in the dexter hand a Sword erect and in the sinister hand a Roll of Parchment proper.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Abbot in Liturgical Vestments and Plain Mitre and supporting with the exterior hand a Crozier on the sinister side a Figure representing John the Printer and holding in the exterior hand an Ink-ball, the whole upon a Compartment per pale of a Ploughed Field and Cobbles all proper.

The District and City of St. Albans was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of St. Albans, the Harpenden Urban District and the St. Albans Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

st albans city arms

The arms are those of the former Abbey of St. Albans, and were used by the former Borough in their Common Seal, which they were entitled to used under the Charter of Edward VI.
The mural crown is a symbol of municipal government and the knight alludes to the meeting of the barons in St. Albans Abbey prior to Magna Carta.
The abbot in liturgical vestments is a reference to the Abbey and the other figure recalls John the Printer. The ploughed field refers to the agricultural areas and the cobbles to the mediaeval city.


SLOUGH BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (BERKS)

ARMS: Per chevron Or and Gules on Waves barry wavy Argent and Azure a Swan proper holding in the beak a White Pink slipped and leaved proper the whole between four Chevronels interlaced Sable on a Chief Azure within an Anulet Or a Mullet Argent between fourteen like Mullets.
CREST: Rising from a Mural Coronet proper a Mount Vert theron in front of an Oak Tree proper fructed Or a Stag at gaze between two Brick-Axes all Gold.

Motto 'SERVE WITH HONOUR'.
Granted ?.

slough bc arms

The swan, like that in the arms of the former Borough of Slough, is indicative of Buckinghamshire, Slough's former county. It is here shown swimming on stylised water and holds in its beak a flower known as a pink (but in this instance coloured white), which has both stalk and leaves representing the horticultural interests of the Borough. The four thin interlaced chevrons allude to modern technology with particular reference to the manufacture of alloys. The blue chief represents the night sky, the silver star surrounded by a gold ring relates to the discovery of the Planet Uranus by Sir William Herschel. On either side are placed fourteen similar stars, arranged seven and seven.
The mural crown symbolises municipal government coloured in its natural colours as if a city wall. The oak tree and stag indicate Berkshire, on either side are placed a brick-axe coloured gold emblematic of the former brickmaking industry in the Borough.


SOUTH BUCKINGHAMSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL (BUCKS)

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Sable issuant from a plain Base barry wavy of four Argent and Vert a Mount of the last thereon in front of a Beech Tree fourche of two branches Or a White Swan wings inverted and addorsed proper gorged with a Saxon Crown Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent Gules and Sable within a Circlet of four Fleurs-de-Lys three being manifest Gules a Panther issuant guardant Argent semy of Hurts gorged Gules holding between the forepaws a Petasus Gold.
SUPPORTERS: Two Fallow Bucks guardant proper between the antlers of each a Cross formy fitchy Or.

Motto 'CONSILLO ET ANIMIS' - By wisdom and courage.
Granted 17th December 1985.

The South Buckinghamshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Beaconsfield Urban District and part of the Eton Rural District.

Picture by R.Young, Stoke Poges 2001.

south buckinghamshire dc arms

The arms are based on those of the former Eton RDC, these indicated the District's situation in Buckinghamshire, mainly in the south near the Thames, and the symbolism is continued in the background of the historic livery colours of the Staffords, Earls and Dukes of Buckingham, whose red and black livery forms the basis of the arms of the County Council. Their White Swan badge, also familiar in the County, stands on a grassy bank by the heraldic river and wears round the neck the Saxon crown from the County crest. Completing the symbolism is an heraldically stylized tree derived from the familiar Buckinghamshire beech in the County crest, the trunk forked to denote the union of two former county districts. The arms therefore identify the South Buckinghamshire District as an amalgamation of most of the former Eton Rural District and the Beaconsfield Urban District.
The crest, is also based largely on that of Eton RDC and composed of emblems denoting several notable families having historical links with the District. The circle of red fleurs-de-lys (Astor, of Cliveden), the white panther spotted with blue (Palmer, of Dorney) wearing a red collar (Desborough, of Taplow)and holding a gold winged helmet (Burnham, of Beaconsfield).
The fallow bucks are an obvious play on the name, as is that in the arms of the County Council, from which they are differenced by showing the heads full-faced. This posture links them with the arms of the Duke of Portland, in which full-faced bucks' heads are included. Between the antlers of each bucks rises the gold cross from the arms of the Bulstrodes of Gerrards Cross as it does between the antlers of a stag's head in the Bulstrode arms. The motto is that of the former Eton RDC.


SOUTH OXFORDSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: No information currently available.
CREST: No information currently available.
SUPPORTERS: No information currently available.
BADGE: No information currently available.

Motto 'ET PATRIBUS ET POSTERITATI' - For our ancestors and posterity.
Granted 1981?.

The South Oxfordshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Henley-on-Thames, the Borough of Wallingford, the Thame Urban District, the Bullington Rural District, the Henley Rural District and the Wallingford Rural District.

south oxfordshire dc arms
thame town badge
Badge of Thame Town Council

The interlaced gold lines, like those in the arms of Didcot TC, represent that town's connection with the railways. The sunburst, seen in the Henley TC arms and the former Borough of Henley's seal is a badge of Edward III. The portcullis is from the arms of the Wallingford TC and the two wheatsheaves are from the Thame town badge.
The mural crown is symbolic of municipal authority and also signifies the ancient Roman walled town at Dorchester. The golden dragon is that of the Kingdom of Wessex and combined with the mitre, recalls the King of Wessex, who was baptized into Christianity at Dorchester and for the diocese once based there.
The ox is derived from the arms of the Oxfordshire CC and the lion represents England. Both are 'gorged' with a blue crown symbolising the links with the Sovereign extending from the Royal Castle at Wallingford to the Royal Flight of the RAF at Benson. The beech branches refer to the Chiltern villages and the compartment upon which the supporters stand suggest the Oxfordshire plain. The Thames is represented by symbolic water, traversed by a stone bridge.


STEVENAGE BOROUGH COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Argent on a Mount in base point Vert an Oak Tree eradicated proper fructed Or transfixed with a Sword in bend sinister point downward also proper hilt and pommel also Or and over all a Fesse Gules charged with six Mullets of six points Gold.
CREST: Out of a Crown Palisado Or a demi Hart proper its sinister fore leg resting upon a Cogwheel Gold, Mantled Vert doubled Argent.

Motto 'THE HEART OF A TOWN LIES IN ITS PEOPLE'.
Granted 10th March 1958, to the Stevenage Urban District Council.

stevenage bc arms

The oak tree represents the great expanse of woodland in and around Stevenage and the rural charm of the town. The acorns symbolise the steady growth and prosperity of the town. The sword comes from the arms of the Bishops of London, who owned Stevenage during the Middle Ages. The red horizontal band represents the Great North Road which runs through the centre of the town. The six stars represent the six neighbourhoods of the New Town (Old Stevenage, Bedwell, Broadwater, Shephall, Chells and Pin Green).
The palisades in gold represents a planned area. The hart comes from the arms of the Hertfordshire CC and the cogwheel symbolises the modern industry carried on in the industrial area of the New Town.


VALE OF WHITE HORSE DISTRICT COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Argent two Bars wavy on a Chief wavy Vert a representation of the White Horse of Uffington facing to the sinister proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an Ancient Crown Or between two Lightning Flashes Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a mitred Abbot proper holding a Book Gules and on the sinister side a Saxon King proper crowned Or habited Argent and cloaked Azure girt with a Sword in its Scabbard Gules the hilt and pommel Or and holding in the Sinister hand a Scroll Argent.

Motto 'SUB EQUO AEQUITAS' - Under the horse there is equity.
Granted ?.

The Vale of White Horse District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Abingdon, the Wantage Urban District, the Abingdon Rural District, the Faringdon Rural District and part of the Wantage Rural District.

vale of white horse dc arms
white horse from air
White Horse of Uffington from the air

The main feature of the shield is naturally the White Horse of Uffington, that is carved into the chalk hillside, and was formerly used as a badge by the Faringdon RDC. The wavy bars represent the rivers of the Vale.
The ancient crown symbolises the associations of Anglo-Saxon royalty with the District and the lightning flashes, like those in the crest of Abingdon TC, represent the atomic research establishment.
The mitred Abbot in commemorates Abingdon Abbey, and he holds a book to illustrate the importance of Abingdon as a seat of learning through the centuries. The other supporter is intended to be King Alfred the Great, who was born in Wantage in the year 849 and he holds a scroll in honour of his fame as a law giver.


WATFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Gules on a Pale wavy Argent between two Escallops Or a Pallet wavy Azure charged with a Fasces erect of the second on a Chief of the third a Hurt charged with a Saltire also of the third between two Harts statant of the first.

Motto 'AUDENTIOR' - Bolder.
Granted 16th October 1922.

watford bc arms

The wavy blue and white lines represent the River Colne and its banks and the gold shells were taken from the arms of the Earl of Clarendon, Watford's first Mayor. The fasces or bundle of rods with an axe in the centre denote magisterial authority and the Roman station said to have been at Watford. The gold cross on blue is from the arms of St. Albans, the greater part of Watford having at one time belonged to the Abbey of St. Albans. The harts represents Hertfordshire.
The motto is a quotation from Virgil's Aeneid VI, 95: "tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito, quam tua te Fortuna sinet". (Yield not thou to ills, but go forth to face them more boldly than thy Fortune shall allow thee.)


WELWYN HATFIELD DISTRICT COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Or a Fess wavy between in chief a Bar wavy Azure surmounted of two Willow Trees couped and in base an Oak Tree couped fructed proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours within a Circlet of eight Roses Gules each charged with another Argent barbed and seeded proper a Garb Or between two Wings displayed Azure.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Hart Royal proper that on the dexter charged on the shoulder with two Pairs of Dividers in fess inverted and extended the interior points contiguous Argent and that on the sinister with a representation of a Roman Wine Jar Or within a Cage Sable.
BADGE: On a Bezant environed of a Torse Or and Azure two Pallets Azure surmounted of a Bar dancetty of two points downward counter-changed.

Motto 'BY WISDOM AND DESIGN'.
Granted 11th February 1976.

The Welwyn Hatfield District was formed by the amalgamation of the Welwyn Garden City Urban District, the Hatfield Rural District and the Welwyn Rural District.

welwyn hatfield dc arms
welwyn hatfield badge
Badge

The blue wave on a gold background represents the River Lea, with the narrower parallel wave for the River Mimram. The two willows from the crest of the Welwyn Garden City UDC and the device of the Welwyn RDC are in reference to the origin of the name Welwyn - meaning 'willow'. The oak tree is from from the crest of the Hatfield RDC. The shield thus suggests in a simple visual pattern the River Mimram flowing through Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City, and the Hatfield area south of the River Lea.
The eight Tudor roses (five visible), from the arms of the Hatfield RDC, refer to the many associations of that period with Hatfield Palace, including the sojourn of the young Elizabeth and her presence at Hatfield on learning of her accession. The gold wheatsheaf, represents the agricultural pursuits of the area, flanked by two blue wings alluding to the local aircraft industry. The wheatsheaf is also a feature of the crest of the ancestors of the Cecils of Hatfield, particularly Lord Burghley, Queen Elizabeth's famous minister and father of Robert Cecil, the first of the family to reside at Hatfield.
The harts, like those of the County Council, are a reference to Hertfordshire. The two dividers shaped like a letter W are from the arms of the Welwyn Garden City UDC, emphasizing its character as a planned development. The Roman urn from the device of the Welwyn RDC, typifies the historic antiquities of that area.
The motto is that used by the Welwyn Garden City UDC.


WEST BERKSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL (UA) (BERKS)

*ARMS: Per pale Or and Gules two Bendlets interlaced with two Bendlets sinister between in chief and in base a Cog-Wheel surmounted by a Garb all counter-changed.
*CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules on a Mount Vert a Mural Crown Or thereon a Cavalier holding a Sword erect and upon a Horse forcené proper.

Motto 'FORWARD TOGETHER'.
Granted ?, to the Newbury District Council.

The Newbury District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Newbury, the Bradfield Rural District, the Hungerford Rural District, the Newbury Rural District and part of the Wantage Rural District. On 1st April 1998, Berkshire County Council was abolished and Newbury District Council changed its name to West Berkshire Council and took on the former County Council's responsibilities, when it became a Unitary Authority.

west berkshire bc arms

The gold and red background represents the industrial and historic richness of the area. The interwoven diagonal cross represents the weaving industry, important to Newbury in the fifteenth and sixteenth century, which helped to establish the town as a manufacturing centre.The sheaves of corn, like those in the arms of the former Borough of Newbury, symbolise the importance of agriculture to the area for the past 2000 years. The cogwheels which the sheaves are placed on signify the engineering works and scientific improvements that provided employment to many, as they do to this day.
The cavalier refers to the Battles of Newbury in 1643 and 1644 during the Civil War. The mural crown and grassy mount represent local government and chalk downlands that make up so much of the District.


WINDSOR AND MAIDENHEAD ROYAL BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (BERKS)

*ARMS: Per pale dovetailed the dexter per fess Argent and Vert a Stag's Head caboshed of the first in chief between the attires an Escutcheon of France Modern and England quarterly the sinister Azure three Pallets wavy Argent issuant from a Bridge of as many arches in fess proper.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules between two Branches of Oak leaved proper and fructed Or a Mount Vert thereon a Castle Wall with three Towers Argent surmounted by a Lion's Face Or.
*SUPPORTERS: Dexter a Horse Argent gorged with an Ancient Crown Or and charged on the shoulder with a Sprig of Oak leaved proper and fructed Or sinister a Swan roussant Argent gorged with an Ancient Crown Or and charged on the wing with a Sprig of Oak leaved proper and fructed Or.

Motto 'IN UNITATE FELICITAS' - In unity happiness.
Granted 1977?.

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Maidenhead, the Royal Borough of New Windsor, the Eton Urban District, the Cookham Rural District, part of the Eton Rural District and the Windsor Rural District.

windsor and matdenhead royal bc arms

The shield combines the principal elements of the arms of the former Royal Borough of New Windsor and the former Borough of Maidenhead. White and green are the livery colours of the Tudor dynasty and the stag's head is for Windsor Great Forest. Between the stag's antlers are the Royal arms as used between 1405 and 1603. The sinister side depicts Maidenhead's bridge over the River Thames. These are joined by a dovetailed dividing line, which signifies the inseparable union of the two formerly independent councils - with a bond of the strongest kind.
The castle on a grassy hillock symbolises Windsor Castle's raised location in the town. The oak sprigs, like those in the arms of the Windsor RDC, and lion's face represent the forests of Windsor and the Royal Heraldic lions.
The white horse relates to the supporters of the arms of Berkshire CC and the swan from the arms of the Buckinghamshire CC, as the areas of Eton, Eton Wick, Datchet, Horton and Wraysbury were formerely in that neighbouring county.


WOKINGHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (BERKS)

ARMS: Argent two Bars wavy Vert over all a Stag's Head caboshed proper on a Chief Gules in front of two Pastoral Staves in saltire Or a Mitre the infulae entwined with the staves Argent.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set alternately upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Lion passant guardant Gold supporting with the dexter forepaw an Oar erect proper; Mantled Vert doubled Argent.

Motto 'UNUM E PLURIBUS' - One made out of many.
Granted 12th March 1962, to the Wokingham Rural District Council.

The Borough of Wokingham was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Wokingham and the Wokingham Rural District.

wokingham bc arms

The three white waves and two green ones, each resembling an initial W, suggest the undulating farmlands and rich woodlands enclosed by the Thames, Loddon and Blackwater rivers. The royal stag's head, similar to that in the arms of Windsor and that of the complete stag in the arms of the Berkshire CC and the former Borough of Wokingham , refers to the situation of large parts of the borough in the ancient Royal Forest of Windsor. The pastoral staves refer to the Sees of Winchester and Salisbury, the former held the whole of the Hundred of Wargrave and the Bishop of Salisbury had a Palace at Sonning. The mitre refers to the mitred Abbey of Abingdon which has links with the borough over a thousand years old, and to the ancient Saxon bishopric said to have existed at Sonning. The background is red, as is the upper part of the arms of Reading University, whose site is within the area at Earley.
The rural coronet is a special type of coronet designed for Rural District Councils and consisting of wheat ears and acorns alternately, representing agriculture and natural beauty. The acorn is especially appropriate to the Borough centred on Wokingham, whose emblem was an acorn long before the present arms - also based on the acorn - were granted. Out of the coronet rises a grassy mound on which stands a Royal lion, from the arms of the Royal County of Berkshire, holding an oar. The lion refers to various royal and national associations with the borough, including the world-famous Royal Regatta of Henley, which takes place within the borough and to which the oar refers.
The motto refers to the union of the various parishes in the former Rural District. It is a variant of the motto of the United States of America whose first President, George Washington, was descended in the maternal line from the family of Ball of Arborfield.


TOWN AND PARISH COUNCILS

ABINGDON TOWN COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Vert a Cross patonce Or between four Crosses pattée Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules out of a Mural Crown Or masoned Azure set between two Wings of the last a Stag's Head Gold in the mouth two Flashes (representing a Nuclear Flash) Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Swan wings elevated and addorsed proper standing on a Woolpack Gules in the beak a Tudor Rose slipped and leaved proper gorged with a Saxon Crown Or attached thereto a Church Bell Rope of the last reflexed over the back the dolley of alternate twists of Gules Argent and Azure and on the sinister side a like Swan standing on a Book bound Gules edged Or in the beak three Stalks of Barley proper gorged with an Ancient Crown Gold attached thereto a Church Bell Rope as on the dexter.

Motto 'FAITH AND INDUSTRY'.
Arms entered at the Visitations of 1566, 1623 and 1666. Crest and supporters granted 12th March 1962, to the Abingdon Borough Council.

abingdon tc arms

The green background and the four smaller silver crosses are taken from the arms of the Fraternity of the Holy Cross and the large gold cross is from the arms of Abingdon Abbey, which seems itself to have been suggested by the arms attributed to Edward the Confessor.
The mural crown represents local government and the stag's head represents Berkshire (Abingdon's County until 1974). The blue wings represent the Abingdon RAF base (that was, and is now Dalton army barracks) and the blue flashes allude to the nearby atomic energy research centre.
The swans represent the River Thames. The Tudor rose held by the left swan is for Queen Mary who granted Abingdon's first Royal Charter (1556) and the Saxon crown represents the town's saxon ancestry and it stands on a woolpack to show the long sheep farming and wool trading tradition. The barley held by the right swan is for the tradition of malting and brewing. It stands on a book for Abingdon's leather book binding and printing industry. The ropes are for rope making, and its crown comes from the time of Edward the confessor and Abingdon Abbey.
The motto refers to the Abbey and the Church in Abingdon (faith) and industry is for all these aforementioned industires and the more modern ones.


AMERSHAM TOWN COUNCIL (BUCKS)

ARMS: Argent on a Mount in base Vert a Wyvern sejant the dexter claw raised and the wings expanded Gules each semy of Plates on a Chief per pale Gules and Sable three Water-Wheels Gold.
CREST: In a Saxon Crown Or a demi Lion Gules holding in the dexter paw an eradicated Coral Wort (Cardamine Bulbifera) flowered proper; Mantled Gules doubled Argent
BADGE A Wyvern sejant the wings expanded Gules semy of Plates grasping in the dexter claw an eradicated Coral Wort (Cardamine Bulbifera) flowered proper.

Motto 'RES GESTAE RES FUTURAE' - Things past, things future.
Granted 19th June 1986.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

amersham tc arms

The arms are very similar to those of the former Amersham RDC, which covered a wider area than the present Town Council.
The red wyvern is from the heraldry of the Drake family of Shardeloes, who have been closely connected with the history of the Town. The white roundels on its wings are from the arms of the Penn family. The red and black of the chief are the liveries of the Earls and Dukes of Buckingham and the three water-wheels doubtless refer to the three water mills mentioned in the Domesday Book.
The Saxon crown is like that in the crest of the County Council.


AYLESBURY TOWN COUNCIL (BUCKS)

ARMS: Gyronny of six Gules and Sable a Mute Swan rousant proper on a Chief Or a Saxon Crown Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules issuant from a Wreath of plaited Straw a Mount thereon an Aylesbury Duck all proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Buck proper gorged with a Chain Or pendent therefrom a Hexagon Argent charged with a Garb Gules banded Or and on the sinister side a Stag also proper gorged with a Chain pendent therefrom a like Hexagon charged with a Crescent Sable.
BADGE An Oval gyronny of six Gules and Sable charged with a Saxon Crown Or issuant therefrom a Mount thereon an Aylesbury Duck proper the whole environed by a Garland of Beech Leaves Vert.

Motto 'SEMPER PRORSUM' - Always forward.
Granted 5th April 1964 to the Aylesbury Borough Council. Tranferred by Warrant dated 3rd April 2002.

aylesbury tc arms

No further information currently available.


BANBURY TOWN COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Azure a Sun in his Splendour Or on a Chief Ermine a Castle of two Towers between two Pairs of Swords points upwards in saltire Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours mounted upon a Horse passant Argent caparisoned Or and Gules a Lady in Tudor costume proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side an Ox Gules armed and unguled Or gorged with a Collar Argent charged with a Bar wavy Azure.

Motto 'DOMINUS NOBIS SOL ET SCUTUM' - The Lord is our sun and shield.
Granted 28th August 1951, to the Banbury Borough Council.

banbury tc arms

The shield is based upon the device borne upon the seal, which has been associated with the Borough for many years, namely the figure of the sun linked with the motto in a religious significance. The ermine of the chief commemorates the royal charters granted to the town at various times. The castle recalls the important part played by Banbury Castle in the Civil War, when two great sieges were laid against it in 1644 and 1646. It is shown with two towers in conventional heraldic style, in allusion to Leland's description of the castle as having "two wards". The crossed swords commemorate the Civil War sieges and also an important Roses battle in 1469, and these swords and the castle are all coloured red in keeping with the sanguinary warfare of those days.
The crest itself is simply "a fine lady upon a white horse", from the well-known rhyme which has made the name of Banbury a part of legend and folklore. She is depicted in Tudor costume in commemoration of Mary Tudor who granted the town a charter.
The red oxen refer to the Oxfordshire CC, whose arms at the time bore the head of a red ox taken from the "ox and ford" of the City of Oxford arms. They also refer to the important agricultural market of Banbury. The collars are similar to those now borne by the rams supporting the County arms.


BERKHAMSTED TOWN COUNCIL (HERTS)

*ARMS: Or a Castle of three Towers each domed Azure flying from the two outer towers a Banner Argent charged with a Cross Gules all within a Bordure Sable bezanty.

Recorded as the arms of the former Borough of Great Berkhamsted.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

berkhamsted tc arms

The border is derived from the arms of the Duchy of Cornwall, as Berkhamsted Castle forms part of that estate. It was the principal home in England of Edward, the Black Prince and is normally depicted flying flags of St. George.
Berkhamsted recieved a grant of a full charter of incorporation from James I in 1618, but the Corporation had ceased to exist by 1662-63.


BICESTER TOWN COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Barry nebuly Or and Gules a Hurt charged with a Fleur de Lys Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Fox’s Mask two Stalks of Wheat in Saltire leaved proper.

Motto 'UT TIBI SIC ALIIS' - Unto thyself so to others.
Granted 30th October 1959, to the Bicester Urban District Council.

bicester tc arms

No further information currently available.


BISHOP'S STORTFORD TOWN COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Vert on a Pale Argent surmounted by a Fess wavy of the last charged with a Bar wavy Azure counterchanged on the Pale a Mitre and Garb proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount Vert the Battlements of a Tower proper issuant therefrom a Cross pommelled Gules.

Motto 'PRO DEO ET POPULO' - For God and the people.
Granted 20th August 1952, to the Bishop's Stortford Urban District Council.

bishops stortford tc arms

The green background, waves and wheatsheaf refer to the River Stort, the rural and agricultural area through which it flows and the ford from which the town takes its name. The mitre refers to the Bishops of London, who brought the Manor from Eddeva the Fair, wife of King Harold.
The battlements represent Waytemore Castle, built by William I, whose ruins now stand on a grassy mound in the Castle Gardens. The cross is that of St. Michael, to whom the parish church is dedicated.


BUCKINGHAM TOWN COUNCIL (BUCKS)

ARMS: Per pale Sable and Gules a Swan rousant wings inverted and expanded Argent ducally gorged Or.

Recorded at the Visitation of 1566 to the Borough of Buckingham. Used by the Town Council apparently without authority.

buckingham tc arms

The swan was a badge of the ancient family of De Bohn, and of the Giffards who were Earls of Buckingham, and then of the Staffords, the first Dukes of Buckingham. The last two families owned the important castle at Buckingham. The background shows the Stafford livery colours of red and black. The coronet is sometimes depicted with a chain attached.


CHESHAM TOWN COUNCIL (BUCKS)

ARMS: Per Fesse Or and Gules a Fesse counter-compony Argent and Sable between in chief two Beech Trees couped and in base a Swan rousant proper Ducally gorged chained and membered Gold.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Lilies and as many Chess Rooks alternately set upon a Rim Argent a Buck's head proper; Mantled Gules doubled Or.

Motto 'SERVE ONE ANOTHER'.
Granted 20th February 1961, to the Chesham Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

chesham tc arms

The colours gold, black, red, white and green reflect the colours of the County arms. The two beech trees represent the Chiltern woodlands, which have contributed so much to the prosperity of the town and the beauty of the neighbourhood. The black and white chequers refer to the River Chess, which takes its name from Chesham. The swan with outstretched wings and a golden collar is the emblem of Buckingham and of its Dukes.
The unique coronet of white lily-flowers, the principal emblem of St. Mary, Patron of Chesham, and chess rooks, a further reference to the River Chess. The chequers of the arms and the chess rooks both formed part of the device of the Council, before the arms were granted. The buck's head is derived from the supporter of both the County arms and those of the Cavendish family, who have been Barons Chesham since 1858.
The motto is from the Epistle to the Galatians, Chapter V, Verse 13.


DEDDINGTON PARISH COUNCIL (OXON)

*ARMS: Gules upon a Cross engrailed Argent a Cross of the first in the first quarter a Wolf's Head erased all within a Bordure embattled Or.
*CREST: Upon a Wreath of the Colours the Battlements of a Tower Argent thereupon an Eagle wings displayed Or gorged with a Collar pendent therefrom a Chain Sable.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Bull Gules and on the sinister side a Horse Argent both armed and unguled Or and each resting the interior hoof upon a Garb Gold.

Motto 'ÞREO ON ANAN GEBUNDENE' - Three joined together in one.
Granted 16th April 1994.

dedington pc arms

The arms represent the three manors of the Parish - Castle of Windsor, Duchy and Christ Church - and these are symbolised on the shield by a red cross, a wolf's head and an engrailed cross, all enclosed within an embattled border, signifying a town, enclosed and protected.
The crest represents Deddington Castle and the chained eagle symbolises Piers Gaveston who was imprisoned there (or in Castle House) in 1312.
The ox and horse - represent the market (and also Oxfordshire) and the horsefair respectively. Sheaves of wheat represent local farming.
The motto is in Old English; Deddington was a settlement before the Norman Conquest. It means three joined together in one, which refers to the three manors and also, no doubt, to the three villages of the Parish - Deddington, Clifton and Hempton.
Deddington is the first Parish in all England, never having been a chartered borough, to have supporters granted to its arms.


DIDCOT TOWN COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Vert two Costs in bend sinister surmounted of two Costs in bend Argent between in chief a Gun Barrel in fesse two Garbs Or and in base a Ram's Head erased of the second armed Gold on a Chief Sable a Mitre also of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Wreath of Hawthorn leaved and flowered a Roebuck's Head Proper.

Motto 'FAITH IN SERVICE'.
Granted 21st June 1952, to the Didcot Parish Council.

The crossed lines represent the connection with the railway and the canon represents the Royal Army Ordnance Depot, to show connection with the Army. The ram's head symbolises the connection that Didcot once had with the great wool sales from the sheep farms on the Berkshire Downs, also symbolised by the sheaf of corn. The mitre shows the link with Ralph de Dudcote of Dorchester whose effigy is in All Saints Church, Didcot.
The stag of Berkshire, Didcot's original county, forms the crest.


HARPENDEN TOWN COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Bendy of six Gules and Argent three Garbs Or a Chief Azure thereon a Pale between two Saltires throughout of the third a Fess dancetté Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours within Wattled Palings proper a Mount Vert thereon a Hart lodged also proper.

Motto 'FIDE ET LABORE' - By faith and industry.
Granted 4th February 1949, to the Harpenden Urban District Council.

harpenden tc arms

The three wheatsheaves are symbolic of the great contribution to the growth of wheat by the Rothamsted Laboratory at Harpenden. The fess dancetté is from the arms of the Wittewronges family, Lords of the Manor and the saltires refer to the Diocese of St. Albans.
The hart refers to the County.


HENLEY TOWN COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: No information currently available.
CREST: No information currently available.
SUPPORTERS: No information currently available.
BADGE: No information currently available.

Motto 'SEMPER COMMUNITAS' - A com­munity forever.
Granted 1974?.

henley tc arms

The shield is based upon the ancient seal that has been used by the Town Guardians of Henley and then by Henley Borough Council. The clouds from which radiate the rays of the sun was the royal badge of Edward III and has been used on Henley's seal since 1624.
The mural crown symbolises the town's borough status which extended from 1241 until 1974. It is charged with a fleur de lys, the symbol of St. Mary the Virgin to whom Henley's Parish Church is dedicated. The bishops' mitres, suggests the two episcopal benefactors of the town, Archbishop Laud and Bishop Longland. The Diamond Challenge Sculls denotes Henley's identifica­tion with the sport of rowing in general, and with the Royal Regatta in particular.
The lion is derived from that depicted on the town's seal from 1306, and the ox to denotes Henley's historic links with Oxford and Oxfordshire. The bugle horn hanging from a bowed string, is the regimental badge of the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry, with whom Henley men fought and fell in two world wars. The Tudor Rose is a badge of James I, who is traditionally treated as the founder of Henley Grammar School. The rose also denotes the rent that was annually paid to the crown for the Manor of Phyllis Court. The Catherine Wheel, the symbol of St. Catherine, who is 'the favourite saint of Henley' according to the historian Burn. The Bridgemen's Chantry was formerly in a chapel within Henley's Parish Church, dedicated to St. Catherine and endowed by the town with a considerable rental. The compartment denotes the town's situation in the region where the grass-covered Chilterns sweep down to the Thames.
The badge is a re-arrangement of the charges shown on the shield. A crowned letter H is shown within an oval surrounded by clouds from which radiate the rays of the sun.


HERTFORD TOWN COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Argent on Water barry wavy a Hart lodged proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Ermine gorged with a Collar pendent therefrom by a chain Gules an Escutcheon Or charged with three Chevrons also Gules.
BADGE: Within a Chaplet of Roses Gules a Hart's Head caboshed proper between the attires an Escutcheon Or charged with three Chevronels Gules.
STANDARD: Argent the bands Azure fimbriated and inscribed Pro Hertfordae honore Gold fringed Argent and Azure.

Motto 'PRIDE IN OUR PAST FAITH IN OUR FUTURE'.
Arms recorded at the Visitation of 1634. Supporters granted 20th October 1937, Badge granted 23rd September 1925 to the Hertford Borough Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

hertford tc arms
hertford badge
Badge

The arms appear to have been based upon a seal bearing a hart standing in water, with a tree and castle in the background. They are are canting arms, a play on the town's name once spelt - Hartford
The ermine lions are derived from the heraldry of the Marquess of Salisbury, differenced by shields bearing the Clare arms. The Cecil Lords Salisbury have, with one exception, held the office of High Steward of the former Borough since 1605. The Clare family held the Earldom of Hertford in the twelth century.


LEIGHTON-LINSLADE TOWN COUNCIL (BEDS)

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Gules a single-arched Bridge throughout Argent masoned Sable the keystone charged with an Ear of Wheat proper the whole between in chief two Celestial Crowns and in base a Lily Plant of three flowers counterchanged.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Water Ouzel displayed proper perched upon two Cog-Wheels Or each issuant from a Mural Crown Argent.

Motto 'BY TRUTH AND DILIGENCE'.
Granted 5th January 1966, to the Leighton-Linslade Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

leighton-linslde tc arms

The towns of Leighton Buzzard and Linslade were amalgamated in 1966. The gold and red quarters are taken from the arms of Bedfordshire and the Beauchamp family. Leighton Buzzard originally was situated in Bedfordshire, Linslade in Buckinghamshire. The Beauchamp family received the manoralty of Linslade in 1068 from William the Conqueror. The colours thus stand for both former councils. The two crowns are a symbol for the parish of All Saints in Leighton Buzzard and the lilies for the parish of St. Mary in Linslade. The bridge represents the bridge over the river Ouzel, which connects both towns. The ear of wheat on the bridge refers to the produce of the agricultural land in Buckinghamshire carried over the bridge to the market in Leighton Buzzard.
The two cog wheels symbolise local industry, and in particular the Lancer Boss Group, the donors of the Arms. The water ouzel symbolises the River Ouzel, which formerly seperated the two towns but is now shown as joining them together. The mural crowns are common symbols of civic government. The motto is derived from that of the de Lucy family, Lords of Linslade in the 15th and 16th centuries.


MARLOW TOWN COUNCIL (BUCKS)

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure a Pale Sable over all in front of two Sculling Oars in saltire blades upwards Or a like Oar in pale Argent all entwined with a Wreath of Laurel proper on a Chief Azure a Celestial Crown Gold between two open Books proper edged and bound Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Or Sable and Azure within a Coronet of the Norman period composed of four plain points three being manifest Gold each terminating in three Pearls one and two Argent and set upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Mute Swan wings inverted and addorsed proper gorged with an Antique Crown of six points four being manifest and resting the dexter foot upon a Wheel Gold enfiled through the hub by a Flash of Lightning fesswise Azure and holding in the beak a Sprig of Shamrock with two leaves Vert; Mantled Sable and Azure doubled Or.
BADGE: A Fountain environed of a Wreath of Laurel and charged with a Mute Swan proper gorged with an Antique Crown of six points four being manifest Or and holding in the beak a Sprig of Shamrock with two leaves Vert.

Motto 'MALO OPTIMUM SEQUI' - I choose to strive for the best.
Granted 11th September 1989.

marlow tc arms
marlow badge
Badge

The black pale, forming a stylised bridge over the waves, along with the oars and laurel wreath symbolise Marlow's situation on the Thames and its associated activities. The celestial crown and the two books are symbolic of All Saints Church and other churches and its scholastic and literary connections.
The colours of the mantling are those of the Hobart and Willoughby families commemorated in the Parish Church. The Norman crown containing a grassy mound refers to William the Conqueror's wife, Queen Maud's tenure of land on which Marlow grew. The swan is that of the Earls and Dukes of Buckingham, familiar in the County's heraldry and as a former Marlow emblem, it holds a wheel transfixed by lightning to indicate the modern industries and has in it's beak a two-leaved shamrock in allusion to the Irish descent of Councillors McCall and Murray and in appreciation of their enthusiastic involvement in obtaining the Coat of Arms for the Town Council. The crown aound the swan's neck is formed of M's for Marlow.
The motto expresses Marlow's search for excellence and the spirit of it's Regatta and contains a typical heraldic play on the name.


NEWBURY TOWN COUNCIL (BERKS)

ARMS: Gules on a Fesse Argent between in chief a Teazle Flower between two Garbs and in base as many Swords in saltire points upwards Or a Bar wavy Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure a Castle of three Towers domed Gules flying from the centre tower a forked Pennant Argent charged with a Bar wavy Azure and from the exterior towers a Flag also Azure.

Motto 'FLORUIT FLOREAT' - May it flourish as it has flourished.
Granted 24th June 1948, the Newbury Borough Council.

newbury tc arms

The blue wavy bars represent the River Kennet. The teazle flower refers to the weaving industry, important to Newbury in the fifteenth and sixteenth century, which helped to establish the town as a manufacturing centre. The wheatsheaves represent agriculture and the swords allude to the two battles fought near Newbury during the Civil War in 1643 and 1644.
The castle represents the Norman stronghold.


ROYSTON TOWN COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Argent a fesse Gules thereon another chequy of the first and Sable in chief two Tudor Roses barbed and seeded and in base a Stag trippant the whole surmounting an Archiepiscopal Staff all proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours perched upon a representation of the Royse Stone a Hooded Crow proper.

Motto 'A BONIS AD MELIORA' - From good things to better.
Granted 19th May 1952, to the Royston Urban District Council.

royston tc arms

The black and white chequered fesse is from the heraldry of the Stuarts, and refers to the association James I had with the Town. The hart is a reference to the County, and perhaps also to the royal hunt. The Archiepiscopal staff denotes the ancient Priory of Austin Canons, Sir Eustace de Merc, Lord of Newsells Manor, Barkway (which was one of the four parishes forming Royston), built on the site of the present Priory a chapel for three chaplains. Upon the same spot his nephew, Ralph of Rochester, founded a house of Austin Canons, to whom he gave the land on which the Priory of St. John the Baptist and St. Thomas the Martyr stood. The staff in the coat of arms was also the Seal of the Priory. The two Tudor roses are included to signify the period when the Priory was dissolved during the reign of Henry VIII.
The hooded crow is a bird peculiar to the district. The bird has by a long association with Royston dating back to 1648, gained the name of the Royston Crow. The stone on which the crow is perched is the Roys Stone, a boulder which was originally at the base of the Roys Cross which stood for several centuries at the crossing of Ermine Street and the Icknield Way.


SAWBRIDGEWORTH TOWN COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Gules a Garb Or between two Barge Rudders addorsed Argent furnished Gold the dexter tiller superimposing the sinister a Chief enarched per fesse indented throughout Azure and Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules on a Mount Vert between two Oast Houses each garlanded with Apple Blossom a Hart lodged all proper.

Motto 'CONCORDIA AMICITIA CONJUNCTA' - Concord with friendship.
Granted 20th July 1962, to the Sawbridgeworth Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

sawbridgeworth tc arms

The enarched chief with the blue and silver indentations representing the edge of a saw, in accordance with the ancient practice of heraldry, provides a rebus or word picture of Sawbridgeworth. The indentations also form a kind of dove-tailing, and are allusive to joinery. The two rudders represent the canals and waterways, between them is a wheat sheaf, which refers to farming.
The hart, like that in the County Council's arms, represents Hertfordshire and in order to remove confusion with other similar crests, is placed between two oast houses in allusion to the local malting industry. The garlands of apple blossom typify the fruit industry in the locality.


WALLINGFORD TOWN COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Gules a Portcullis Or studded Sable chained Argent ensigned with an Ancient Crown of the second all within an Orle of Bezants.
CREST: Issuant from Water barry wavy a Port between two Towers proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Knight in Armour proper wearing a Surcoat of the Arms mounted on a Horse Argent caparisoned of the Arms holding in the dexter gauntlet a Tilting Spear Sable his helmet bearing the Crest.

Granted 23rd August 1955, to the Borough of Wallington (then in Berkshire).

Images courtesy of The Heraldry Society.

wallingford tc arms

The portcullis has been used as the Mayor's seal for over 300 years and appears on all the Town Regalia, it is shown in gold referring to the fact that at one time there was a Royal Mint in Wallingford. The crown refers to the fact that in the time of the Plantaganets Wallingford was closely associated with royalty, being a Royal Borough. The bezants or golden roundelss are taken from the arms of the Duchy of Cornwall of which Wallingford was a part, from the time of the Black Prince until Henry VIII. There are eleven bezants, which record the century of the granting of the Charter in 1155.
The crest refers to the River Thames and the Castle.
The Supporters are taken from the Knight which appears on the Common Seal of the Borough which has been in use for over 300 years.


WARE TOWN COUNCIL (HERTS)

ARMS: Azure two Posthorns on saltire Or between in pale two Barge Rudders paly of six Argent and Gules furnished Gold and in fesse as many Garbs of Barley of the last banded Gules.

Motto 'CAVE' - Beware.
Granted 26th March 1956, to the Ware Urban District Council, transferred by order in Council 16th April 1975.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

ware tc arms

The blue field alludes to the River Lea and the barge rudders striped with the livery colours of the City of London refer to the free entry of the Ware bargemen to the Port of London. The sheaves of barley refer to malting and the post horns to the town's coaching inns.
The motto "cave" meaning "beware" is a pun on the Town's name.


WITNEY TOWN COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Vert on a Fess wavy Argent between in chief a sinister Glove of the last between two Leopards' Faces each holding in the mouth a Shuttle Or and in base a representation of the Butter Cross at Witney Gold a Barrulet wavy Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert between a Crescent and a Star Or a Paschal Lamb proper.

Motto 'INGENIO FLOREMUS' - .
Granted 9th September 1955, to the Witney Urban District Council.

witney tc arms

The white and blue wavy band on a green background represents the surrounding countryside and the River Windrush on which the town stands. For centuries Witney has been associated with blankets and in 1711 the weavers obtained a charter from Queen Anne incorporating them as a Company and Blanket Hall was built in the High Street. Here all blankets had to be taken for measuring and weighing, thus ensuring that the very high quality of the blankets was maintained. The two leopard's faces holding shuttles are from the Blanket Makers arms, which appears beneath the one-handed clock on Blanket Hall. The glove represents the gloving industry, for which the town is also famous. At the base is the Buttercross that stands in the heart of Witney, it is said to be the base of an ancient preaching cross - of uncertain age.
The Paschal lamb was used as a device before the arms were granted and the mount on which it stands can be seen as refering to the site (know as the Mount), where the Bishops of Winchester built a palace some time between 1047 and 1070.


WOKINGHAM TOWN COUNCIL (BERKS)

ARMS: Or semée of Acorns Vert a Chevron Ermine thereon a Tudor Rose barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Saxon Crown Or a demi Stag at gaze proper supporting a Crosier Or.

Motto 'E GLANDE QUERCUS' - From the acorn, the Oak.
Granted 29th September 1953, to the former Wokingham Borough Council.

wokingham tc arms

The acorns on a gold shield, represent Wokingham as the Forest Town. The ermine chevron referes the the Royal House, and the Tudor Rose is part of the badge of Elizabeth I and the present Queen, both allude to the fact that the arms were granted to the Borough in Coronation Year, 1953.
The Saxon Crown, represents the Saxon origin of the town, with the Berkshire stag, supporting a Bishop's crozier, refer­ring to the ownership of the town by the Bishop of Salisbury to 1612.


WOODSTOCK TOWN COUNCIL (OXON)

ARMS: Gules the Stump of a Tree couped and eradicated Argent and in chief three Stags' Heads caboshed of the same all within a Bordure of the last charged with eight Oak Leaves Vert.
CREST: Out of a Ducal Coronet Or an Oak Tree proper leaved Vert.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Savage proper wreathed about the head and loins with Oak Leaves Vert holding over his exterior shoulder a Club proper.

Motto 'RAMOSA CORNUA CERVI' - The branching horns of the stag.
Recorded at the Visitation of 1634. Certified painting obtained in 1949, for the Woodstock Borough Council.

woodstock tc arms

The tree-stock was adopted by Edward III, as an obvious rebus, as one of his badges in allusion to the royal manor of Woodstock. The name of the town means "a place in the woods" and with the royal forest of Wychwood stretching from the town west and north towards the Cotswolds, the hunting lodge on the doorstep, and the "Great Park of Woodstock" it fitting that the town adopted the other emblems.
The motto is from Virgil, Eclogues, vii, c. 305; the reference is to the horns of a stag given as an offering to Diana, the Roman goddess of the hunt.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page