ARMS: Or on a Cross between in the first and forth quarters three Chevronels Gules a Garb of the first on a Chief Sable a Stag's Head erased Gold between two Madonna Lilies proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a representation of the Head of a Roman Centurion's Standard of SPQR with Thunderbolt Laurel Wreath and Eagle displayed Gold.

Granted 10th May 1951.

Incorporated into the District of North Hertfordshire in 1974.

baldock udc arms

The red cross and black chief are from the arms of the Knights Templar, who were granted land by Gilbert de Clare, Earl of Pembroke. This land became the Parish of Baldock and the chevrons are from the arms of the de Clares. The sheaf of barley refers to the malting industry and the hart's head to the County. The lilies refer to the dedication of the parish church to St. Mary.
The head of the centurion's standard recalls the Roman settlement at Baldock.

See Berkhamstead Town Council.

See Bishop's Stortford Town Council.


ARMS: Argent a Fesse wavy Azure surmounted by a Pale Ermine on a Chief of the second a Castle triple towered Or between a Rose Gules and a Thistle dimidiated both slipped and leaved and an Oak Tree eradicated and fructed proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Falcon proper belled and resting the dexter claw on a Cross Pattee Or.

Granted 6th November 1945.

Incorporated into the Borough of Broxbourne in 1974.

cheshunt udc arms

The blue wavy and the ermine bands represent the River Lea and the Roman Ermine Street, the former forms the district's eastern boundary and the later crosses the district south to north. The combined rose and thistle, is one of the badges of James I and refers to his residence at Theobalds Palace. The castle is taken from the arms of Castile in allusion to Queen Eleanor and the memorial at Waltham Cross, erected by Edward I, which marks one of the resting places of her body on is journey from Harby to Westminster Abbey. The oak tree refers to Goff's Oak in the western part of the district.
The falcon refers to the fact that the district was noted for falconry, and the cross is from the arms of the Meux family, late of Theobalds, who have been benefactors to the district.


ARMS: Per pale Argent and Gules two Swords in saltire between in chief a capital letter Omega and in fesse two Roses all counter-changed the Roses barbed and seeded proper on a Chief Azure a Fleur de lys between two Crosses Flory Or.
CREST: Out of an Eastern Crown [of ten rays six visible] Or a demi Hart gorged with a wreath of Oak Leaves proper pendent therefrom by a Chain Or an Escutcheon Azure charged with a Saltire Gold, Mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Granted 9th September 1955.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Barnet in 1965.

east barnet udc arms

The shield which was in use before the arms were granted, has as its principal motifs swords, roses and an Omega (last letter of the Greek alphabet) referring to the Wars of the Roses , the last battle of which was fought at Hadley Green within the district, in 1471. The two crosses and the fleur de lys refer to the Parish Church of St. Mary, East Barnet.
The wreath is in the Lancastrian and Yorkist colours of red and white. The Eastern crown distinguishes the authority from its neighbour, the six rays referring to the six wards of the District. The hart is derived from the supporters of the Hertfordshire CC, the wreath of oak is for the woods of the district, particularly Oak Hill. The shield hanging from the wreath shows the arms of the Abbey of St. Albans, whose monks had much to do with the early communal life of the district and with the Parish Church.
The motto which means "Determination ensures progress", is taken from the speech of King Edward IV after the Battle of Barnet, in Shakespeare's King Henry VI, Part III.


ARMS: Ermine issuant from a Base barry wavy of four Argent and Azure a Mount Vert thereon an Oak Tree proper fructed and charged on the branches with a Saxon Crown Or on a Chief of the last on a Pale between two Escallops of the third a Saltire Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure a demi Hart proper gorged with a mural Crown Or and supporting with the sinister forehoof a Cinematograph Spool loaded with Film all proper.

Granted 20th March 1957.

Incorporated into the Borough of Hertsmere in 1974.

elstree rdc arms

The background of royal ermine, represents the royal visits to and associations with the district, principally the visit of Henry VIII and his court to Tyttenhanger in 1525 to avoid the "sweatinge sicknesse" and the visits of Charles II to Salisbury Hall in Shenley. The oak tree with the Saxon crown represents Saxon Elstree - "Tidwulf's tree" - around which the district has grown. The tree also represents Boreham Wood and the district's woodlands, the gold acorns symbolize growth and prosperity. The waves at the base represent the River Colne, Aldenham Reservoir and link with the waves in the arms of the Hertfordshire CC and the Greater London Council.The gold saltire on blue is from the arms of the Abbey of St. Albans, the manor of Elstree came into the possesion of the Abbey in 1188, and Tyttenhanger in Ridge stands on the site of a former possesion of the Abbey, and the whole area lies in the Liberty of St. Albans. The scallop shells, the badge of pilgrims, recalls their passage along Watling Street through Elstree to St. Albans.
The hart is from one of the supporters of the County Council arms, wearing a mural crown, symbol of civic government. The spool of film (unique in civic heraldry) recalls the industry which had made the name of Elstree and Boreham Wood so widely known in modern times.
The motto is taken from the wall of Shenley Cage, and also links with the County motto "Trust and fear not".

See Harpenden Town Council.


ARMS: Barry of ten Argent and Azure a Lion rampant Ermine on a Chief Gules three ducal Coronets Or all within a Bordure of the last charged with eight Tudor Roses proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an Oak Tree charged with a Tudor Rose proper.

Granted 14th May 1945.
Motto 'SEMPER SERIO' - Always in earnest.

Incorporated into the District of Welwyn Hatfield in 1974.

hatfield rdc arms

The three crowns are from the arms of the See of Ely, the Manor was granted to the monks of Ely in the 10th century, and later when Ely became a bishopric, the bishops built a palace at Hatfield, which later passed to Henry VIII. The Tudor roses refer to the many associations with that period, Elizabeth I spent her childhood here, and it was here she recieved news of her accession to the throne. Hatfield remained in the possesion of the Crown until the 17th century when James I exchanged it, for Theobalds with Sir Robert Cecil, first Earl of Salisbury. The barry field and ermine lion are from the heraldry of the Cecils, and Hatfield has been the seat of this branch of the family ever since.
The crest depicts what is known locally as Queen Elizabeth's Oak, the tree beneath which she was sitting when informed of her accession.
The motto is a combination of the Semper Idem of Elizabeth I and the Sero sed Serio of Lord Salisbury.

See Hertford Town Council.


ARMS: Azure on a Saltire Or a Stag's Head caboshed Gules a Bordure barry wavy of eight Argent and the first.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure in front of an Oak Tree proper fructed Or a Stag salient Gold.

Motto 'PRO RURE PRO PATRIA' - For countryside and Country.
Granted 16th April 1951.

hertford rdc arms

The saltire is from the arms of the City and Diocese of St. Albans. The stag's head is from the arms of the Borough of Hertford and the County Council. The other emblems represent the woods and waterways of the District.


ARMS: Gules on a Fesse arched and embattled Argent between in chief a Lion passant guardant and in base a Sheaf of Barley Or a Fleshing Knife fesseswise proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours two Shepherds' Crooks in saltire pendent therefrom at the point of intersection by the ring a Fleece all proper.

Motto 'ET PATRIBUS ET POSTERITATI' - Both for our ancestors and our prosperity.
Granted 25th November 1936.

Incorporated into the District of North Hertfordshire in 1974.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

hitchin udc arms

The lion alludes to the district's connection to the Crown, as a Royal Manor. The fleshing knife is a reference to the old tanning industry, and the sheaf of barley refers to the town's ancient malting activities.
The crooks allude to farming and agricultural interests, while the fleece recalls to old woollen industry.


ARMS: Vert on a Pall reversed between three Horseshoe Magnets the poles to the centre Argent three Roundels Vert each charged with a Rose Argent.
CREST: On Wreath Argent and Vert A Squirrel sejant erect Sable holding between the forepaws a Rose Argent and crowned with a Garland of Oak Leaves Vert.
BADGE: A Rose Stem Or flowered Argent leaved Vert enfiling four two-bar Fences conjoined in a square Pen Or.

Granted 17th May 2010.

Letchworth Garden City Town Council was formed on 1st April 2005 and was dissolved on 31 March 2013.

Images and information from The College of Arms Newsletter, no. 27 and Wikipedia.

letchworth garden city tc arms
letchworth garden city badge
Howard's depiction of the choice of town design as a contest between three magnets.

The magnets are a reference to a diagram called "The Three Magnets" created by the social reformer Ebenezer Howard, who advocated the construction of a new kind of garden town. His ideas led to the construction of Letchworth Garden City in the early 20th century. The white roses and oak link to the arms of the former Letchworth UDC (see below).
The crest shows a black squirrel, referring to the fact that Letchworth Garden City is home to one of the country's largest colonies of black squirrels, which were first recorded in Letchworth in 1912. The black squirrel is now a relatively common sight across Letchworth and the surrounding area.
The arms were in use for just under three years, probably making them the shortest used civic arms.


ARMS: Argent three Chevronels Gules over all on a Chief embattled Azure two Roses of the first barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an Owl affrontée Argent between two Sprigs of Oak Vert fructed Or.

Motto 'PRUDENS FUTURI' - Prudent for the future.
Granted 11th December 1944.

Incorporated into the District of North Hertfordshire in 1974.

letchworth udc arms

The chevrons refer to the old families of Montfitchet and Barrington, Lords of the Manor of Letchworth. The roses allude to the garden city.


ARMS: Per fesse dancetty Sable and Or semée of Flowers gentil proper in chief three Plates above two Estoiles of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Wreath of Watercress proper a Garb Or charged with a Lion's Face Azure.

Motto 'NISI DOMINUS AEDIFICAVERIT' - Unless the Lord build.
Granted 30th October 1953.

rickmansworth udc arms

The dacetty division of the shield is from the arms of the Fotherleys, Lords of the Manor of Rickmansworth in the 17th century. The three white roundels are from the arms of William Penn, the Quaker founder of Pennsylvania, whose house was used as offices by the Council. The two stars are from the arms of Sir Thomas White, Lord Mayor of London in 1553 and a leading figure in the foundation of the Merchant Taylors' School, who was born at West Hyde. The flowers gentil refer to Dr. John Caius, the third founder of Gonville and Ciaus College, Cambridge, who granted the Manor of Croxley Green to the College, whose arms also include flowers gentil.
The crest refers to the Manor of the Moor, the wheatsheaf coming from the arms of the Lords Ebury and the blue lion's face from those of Cardinal Wolsey. The watercress refers the district's distinctive agricultural industry.
The motto is derived from the first verse of Psalm CXXVII in the Vulgate and is appropriate to a town mainly residential in character.

See Royston Town Council.


ARMS: Or an Eagle displayed wings inverted Gules charged on the breast with a Mural Crown of the first all within a Bordure Azure charged with eight Saltires couped also of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Stag's Head proper attired Or charged on the neck with a Pellet thereon an Escallp Argent and in the mouth three Ears of Wheat the stalks bound by a Riband Gold.

Granted 10th August 1954.

Incorporated into the City and District of St Albans in 1974.

st albans rdc arms

The eagle refers to the district's Roman associations - Verulamium and Watling Street. The mural crown is a symbol of civic government and the gold crosses are from the arms of the City of St. Albans, eight in number for the eight parishes comprising the District.
The hart's head refers to the County and the wheat is for agriculture. The scallop shell, the badge of pilgrims, recalls their passage along Watling Street to St. Albans.

See Sawbridgeworth Town Council.

See Ware Town Council.


ARMS: Vert two Pairs of Dividers in fesse inverted and extended the interior points contiguous Argent between three Ears of Wheat stalked leaved and slipped Or on a Chief of the last as many Bees volant proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Willow Tree a Hart lodged proper murally gorged Or.

Granted 15th December 1958.

Incorporated into the District of Welwyn Hatfield in 1974.

welwyn garden city udc arms

The green background is in keeping with the name 'Garden City' and the dividers allude to a planned town, together forming the town's initial letter W. The wheatears refer to the original farmland on which the town was built and also recall one off Welwyn's original local industries. The bees symbolise a community living and working together as a social unit and have special reference to "garden workers", their gold background is for prosperity.
The hart is from the arms of the Hertfordshire County Council with a mural crown, symbol of civic government. The willow tree refers to the derivation of the name Welwyn.

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page