BECKENHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert two Bars wavy Argent between as many Chestnut Trees in full blossom and eradicated proper in chief and a Horse forcene of the second in base.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a semi Lion guardant Or supprting a Pastoral Staff Argent enfiled with a Mitre proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Gentleman and on the sinister side a Lady both in the costume of the early sixteenth century.

Motto 'NON NOBIS SOLUM' - Not for ourselves alone.
Arms and Crest granted 17th December 1931, Supporters granted 9th September 1935.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Bromley in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

beckenham arms

The green background, suggest the Beckenham of old, a township in a rural setting and modern Beckenham, with its parks and open spaces, to which the trees also refer. The wavy line represents the River Beck, echoing the name of the town, and the horse is from the arms of the County Council.
The lion is derived from the heraldry of the Cator family, owners of large estates for many generations. The staff and mitre stand for Bishop Odo, of Bayeux, who received the land and manors of Beckenham from his half-brother, William the Conqueror.
The supporters recall Tudor days, when at Wickham Court, we are told Henry VIII wooed and won Anne Boleyn.


BEXLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse Vert and Or a Fesse wavy barry wavy of four Argent and Azure in chief an Eagle displayed between two Apples leaved and slipped of the second and in base an Oak Tree eradicated proper.
CREST: Upon [a Mound of] Heather proper within a Coronet of four Fleur-de-Lis set upon a Rim Or a Horse forcene Argent.

Motto 'NON NOBIS SED COMMUNITAT' - Not for ourselves but for the community.
Granted 16th October 1937.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

bexley bc arms

The basic colours of green and gold recall the Bexley of old, a township in a rural setting of green fields and waving corn. The eagle is from the arms of the first and only Lord Bexley, Nicholas Vansittart, who became Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1812. The apples recall the once famous fruit growing areas of East Wickham, Welling and Bexleyheath. The blue and white waves represent the area's rivers and streams and the oak tree the woodland, once extensive, that is still preserved in the open spaces of the Borough.
The coronet commemorates the fact that Bexley received its Charter of Incorporation in the year before the coronation of George VI. It may also be taken as one of the crowns in the arms of Oxford University, which was bequeathed land in Bexley by Sir William Camden to found the Camden Professorship. The heather recalls the days when Bexleyheath was truly a heath and the horse is from the arms of the County of Council.


BROMLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Azure on a Fess wavy Argent three Ravens volant proper between in the first quarter two Branches of Broom in saltire Argent in the second quarter a Sun-in-splendour in the third quarter an Escallop Or and in the fourth quarter a Horse forcene Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules between two Branches of Broom proper a Bar wavy couped per fess wavy Azure and Argent ensigned with an Escallop Or.

Motto 'DUM CRESCO SPERO' - While I grow I hope.
Granted 19th April 1904.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Bromley in 1965.

bromley bc arms

The sprigs of broom refer to the derivation of the name; 'a field or pasture where broom grows'. The sun recalls the once important Manor of Sundridge, owned in the reign of Henry III, by the Bland family. Sundridge continued in the family for sometime, eventually passing through different hands until Sir Claude Scott purchased it in 1796, and built the present mansion. The shell is from the arms of the See of Rochester, which held the Manor from the reign of Ethelbert, it is also the emblem of pilgrims and recalls the many roads and lanes in Kent, still called Pilgrims Road or Pilgrims Way along which they travelled. The horse is from the arms of the County Council and the wavy line and ravens refer to the River Ravensbourne. The river has its chief source in Caesar's Well at Keston, its name is supposed to be derived from the following legend: - Roman soldiers in great need of water saw a raven frequent a certain spot near their camp, upon examination a small spring was found among the bushes. Upon digging it out a copious spring was found.


CHATHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Fesse chequy Gules and Or between in chief two ancient Ships with three masts and sails proper colours flying of the second and in base a Sword of the fourth pommel and hilt of the third surmounted by a Trident in saltire and entwined with a Wreath of Laural proper.
CREST: Out of a Naval Crown Or a Trident erect enfiled with a Wreath of Laurel proper.

Motto 'LOYAL AND TRUE'.
Granted 1st August 1891.

chatham bc arms

The chequered band is derived from the arms of William Pitt, the first Earl of Chatham, the colours have been changed to gold and red from the original blue and silver to denote Chatham's military associations. The ships and naval crown refer to the town's naval associations and the laurel wreath, trident and sword to the Royal Marines.


CRAYFORD URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Horse forcene Argent on a Chief of the last twp bars wavy of the field surmounted by a Falcon volant affrontée Gules.

Motto 'FORTITER ET RECTE' - Boldly and rightly.
Granted 22nd January 1945.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

crayford udc arms

The horse is from the arms of the County Council and was also the standard of the Saxon chieftain Hengist, who reputedly defeated the Britons at Crayford. The two waves represent the rivers Thames and Cray, and the falcon recalls the first heavier than air flying machine, which was constructed by Sir Hiram Maxim and flown on rails in a field in Crayford in 1894.


DARTFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Gules on a Fess Argent between in chief a Jester's Head habited in a Fool's Cap couped at the neck Or between two Bezants each charged with an Ear of Wheat proper and in base an Anvil of the third a Barrulet wavy Azure.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Hermit holding in the exterior hand a Staff and on the sinister side a Prioress holding in the exterior hand a Pastoral Staff proper.

Motto 'TENAX ET FIDELIS' - Steadfast and faithful.
Granted 4th September 1933.

dartford former bc arms

The blue wave on the white fess represents the River Darent, from which the town of Dartford took its name. The paper-making industry is repre­sented by the jester's head wearing a Fool's Cap. It is of interest in this connection to note that the emblem is found as a water-mark in paper as early as the reign of King Charles II. On either side are golden roundels, which are as near as heraldry permits to get to the familiar tabloids of our chemical factories. These are charged with ears of wheat, symbolizing another of the staple industries of the borough. The golden anvil at the base of the shield is emblematical of the great engineering and metal-working interests.
The hermit typifies those recluses who, by their holy lives and untiring devotion to the cause of humanity, set a noble example for all time. It may, moreover, be recalled that it was through their exertions that funds were obtained for erecting the first bridge over the Darent. The earliest hermit of whom there is any record, John Sodeman by name, under the title of 'Hermit of the Chapel of the Blessed Virgin and Martyr, St Katherine of Dertford, for reformation of the poor', obtained Letters of Indulgence from the Bishop of the Diocese on the1st of June 1438. The prioress recalls the Augustinian nunnery that was established by King Edward III in 1355.


DEAL BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Azure three demi Lions passant guardant in pale dimidiated with three demi Hulks of Ships Or on a Chief Azure a representation of the Silver Oar of the Cinque Ports.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours two Towers proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Roman Centurion and on the sinister side a Royal Marine in full dress uniform the whole upon a Rocky Mount all proper.

Motto 'ADJUVATE ADVENAS' - Befriend the stranger.
Granted 4th March 1968.

deal bc arms

The arms are derived from the town's seal, in turn this was based upon the arms of the Cinque Ports, Deal being a non-corporate member of Sandwich. Deal's charter of incorporation in 1699 is unique within the Confederation in specifying that the town's seal should show the arms of the Cinque Ports. The silver oar is the symbol of the authority of the Admiral of the Cinque Ports.
The two towers were previously used, placed above the arms of Sandwich, the town's Head Port. The towers almost certainly derive from those upon the mayoral seal, which also dates from 1699. They were said to represent Sandown and Deal castles on the northern and southern edges of the town, although neither was in the original Borough of Deal.
The centurion alludes to Deal being the approximate site of the Roman invasion of 55BC and the Royal Marine, is a reminder of the service's centuary of association with the town.
The motto is a reference to Deal's lifeboatmen and fishermen who, over the centuries, have saved many lives at sea.


ERITH BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Fleur-de-Lys Sable between three Lucies haurient two and one Gules on a Canton of the last a Horse forcene of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Garb Or a Stag courant Gules.

Motto 'LABOUR OVERCOMES ALL THINGS'.
Granted 27th February 1906.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Bexley in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

erith bc arms

The three pikes or lucies, recall the district's connection with Sir Richard de Luci, Lord of the Manor of Lesnes in the 12th century. He founded Lesnes Abbey, whose arms also incorporated lucies, in 1178 and was afterwards a Canon Regular there. The fleur-de-lys, also known as a fleur-de-luce, is a further play on the Luci name. The white horse on red is from the arms of the County Council, its position refers to Erith's location in the north west corner of Kent.
The wheat sheaf is from the crest of the Wheatley family, Lords of the Manor of Erith until 1875. The stag is derived from the supporters of the arms of Lord Eadley, who once lived at Belvedere Mansion.


GILLINGHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Cross Gules in the first quarter an Ancient Harp in the second on Waves of the Sea an Ancient Ship in the third issuing out of Waves of the Sea a Rock thereon a Fort and in the fourth quarter a Sprig of Broom all proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Foul Anchor erect two Swords in saltire point upwards that pointing to the dexter sheathed all proper.

Motto 'WITH FORT AND FLEET FOR HOME AND ENGLAND'.
Granted 2nd April 1904.

Picture thanks to Laurence Jones.

gillingham bc arms

The cross of St. George, the fort and the ship symbolise the idea summed up in the motto. The sprig of broom alludes to the district of Brompton. The crossed swords recall the battle fought in 1016 between Edmund Ironside and Canute.


GRAVESEND BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Tower Gules charged with a Bull's Head issuing from a Ducal Coronet both Or and vomiting Flames of Fire proper all within a Bordure Azure charged with five Fleurs-de-Lys and as many Buckles Or.

Motto 'DECUS ET TUTAMEN' - An honour and a protection.
Granted December 1635 to replace an earlier coat recorded at the Visitation of 1619.

gravesend bc arms

The bull's head is from the old Portreeve's seal, which dates back to before 1574. The border of fleurs-de-lys and buckles was granted in 1635 to commemorate the honours bestowed upon the town by the Duke of Lennox.


HERNE BAY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure, on a Chief of the last a Heron Or between two Crosses formee fitchee of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lymphad Gules with Pennant per fess Argent and Azure and the sail also Argent charged with a Bull statant Sable armed and unguled also Gules.

Motto 'NE CEDE MALIS' - Yeild not to adversity.
Granted 8th June 1948.

herne bay udc arms
herne bay device
Former Device

The blue and white waves are an obvious reference to the sea. The heron is allusive to the name, and was the device of the Council before the arms were obtained. The crosses, ecclesiastical emblems of Chist Church, denote the cathedral church of the Diocese and the parish church of Herie Bay.
The lymphad recalls the Roman occupation of the fort of Regulbium, now Reculver, and the ox is from the arms of Sir Henry Oxenden, one of the chief landowners in the district when Herne Bay was developed in the eighteen-thirties.


MARGATE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Azure a Chevron Argent between in chief a demi Lion passant guardant conjoined to the demi-Hulk of a Ship Or and in base a Horse rampant of the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Sea Horse supporting the Mast of a Ship with Yard and Rigging all proper.

Motto 'PORTA MARIS PORTUS SALUTIS' - .
Granted 12th January 1858.

Picture taken from here.

margate bc arms

The lion-hull is that of the Cinque Ports, as Margate was anciently a non-corporate limb of Dover. The white horse represents the county and the emblems on the crest are appropriate for a seaside town.


ORPINGTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Fesse wavy Azure charged with a Barrulet wavy Argent in chief two Mural Crowns Gules and in base a Torteau thereon a Sword erect proper pommel and hilt Gold the blade enfiled with a Chain of Steel also proper and the whole within a Bordure Vert.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Horse rampant Argent gorged with a Mural Crown Gules.

Motto 'PROGREDIOR' - I progress.
Granted 30th July 1956.

Incorporated into the London Borough of Bromley in 1965.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

orpington udc arms

The blue and white wave represents the River Cray, which has its source in the District, and the mural crowns symbolise the urban development in the northern and central parts of the District. The sword and chain are derived from the badge of the famous Royal Air Force Station at Biggin Hill. The green border represents the Green Belt around London, and symbolises the rural character of the extensive eastern and southern parts of the District, which lie within the Belt.
The white horse, previously used as an emblem by the Council, is from the arms of the Kent County Council, and the mural crown from the shield, symbol of civic government, makes the crest distinctive to Orpington.


ROCHESTER CITY COUNCIL (former)
rochester city arms

ARMS: Or on a Cross Gules a Letter R of the field on a Chief of the second a Lion passant guardant Gold.

Recorded as a seal device (untinctured) at the Visitation of 2nd September 1574. Recorded with tinctures (as Arms) at the Visitation of 1619.

The lion recalls the Rochester was originally a royal borough. The arms are unusual for the inclusion of a letter of the alphabet. The red cross is probably that of St. George. The design was formerly used as a seal device, however the mural crown, a common symbol, of civic government was not recorded at either of the Visitations referred to above.


ROCHESTER UPON MEDWAY CITY COUNCIL

*ARMS: Or on a Cross between in the first and fourth quarters a Cornucopia Gules a Lion passant guardant of the first.
*CREST: Out of a Naval Crown Or three Towers Gules; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
*SUPPORTERS: On either side a Sea Horse Argent tails and fins Or each gorged with a Collar chequy of the last and Gules the dexter supporting a Trident and the sinister an Oar both Gold.
*BADGE: Within three Mural Crowns Or the Head of a Trident Argent.

Motto 'LOYAL AND TRUE'.
Granted 1975.

The City of Rochester upon Medway was formed by the amalgamation of former City of Rochester, the Borough of Chatham and part of the Stood Rural District. It was originally called the Borough of Medway.
It was abolished on the 31st March 1998, when it was merged with the neighbouring Borough of Gillingham to form the Medway (Towns) Unitary Authority.

rochester upon medway city arms
medway badge
Badge

The red cross on gold, taken from the former City of Rochester arms, together with two cornucopiae, symbols of plenty, from the arms of Strood RDC. The gold lion of England, also used by Rochester to denote that it was once a royal borough, but now symbolising Medway's many royal connections.
The three towers represent the three districts which have merged to make one and the naval crown refers to the nautical character of the area, also it is a reminder of the crest of the Borough of Chatham, which also emerged from a naval crown.
The heraldic sea-horses denote the white horse of Kent, being harnessed to the service of the sea. Their collars are from the chequered fess in the arms of Pitt, Lord Chatham, which also formed part of the arms of the borough. To difference the sea-horses from similar supporters, they each support a trident, another nautical symbol.
The trident also features in the badge, where it is enclosed by three mural crowns, representing the three old authorities of Chatham, Rochester and Strood.


ROYAL TUNBRIDGE WELLS BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Gules guttée d'Eau on a Pile Or between two Fountains in base a Lion rampant Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Well properissuant therefrom a demi Lion Gules holding between the paws a Fountain.

Motto 'DO WELL AND DOUBT NOT'.
Granted 19th July 1889.

royal tunbridge wells fbc arms

The heraldic fountains, drops of water and the well-head all allude to the medicinal springs to which the town owes its name. The pile represents the geological fault which gives rise to those springs. The lions recall the Tunbridge Wells is officially styled 'Royal'.


SITTINGBOURNE AND MILTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Lion rampant Gules and a Wyvern rampant combatant Vert supporting a Scroll of Parchment erect proper on a Chief Azure a Saxon Crown between two Escallops of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mound a Cherry Tree fructed proper.

Motto 'KNOWN BY THEIR FRUITS'.
Granted 28th July 1949.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

sittingbourne and milton udc arms

The gold background, the colour of royalty, refers to the area's royal connections, through the Royal Manor of Milton and the Elizabethan charters granted to Sittingbourne. The lion recalls the ancient Red Lion Inn, an important place on the Dover Road, especially in coaching days. Here Henry V is reputed to have been entertained on his triumphant return from Agincourt. The wyvern was used as a device by the Milton Regis UDC and the later Council before arms were granted. It indicated the defences made by the area's ancient inhabitants against Danish and later invaders. The scroll of parchment refers to industry, and the town's paper making industry in particular. The blue chief refers to water, which has played an important role in the life of the area, whether for ancient fisheries, navigation or modern industry. The Saxon crown indicates that Milton was was a royal manor as far back as the day's of King Alfred. The shells recall the the valuable fisheries of Milton, dating from the oyster fisheries in Roman days. Also as the emblem of a pilgrim, they refer to the fact that Sittingbourne was a stopping place on the road to St. Thomas à Becket's shrine at Canterbury.
The mound is a reminder of the value of the land, not only for agriculture but also for minerals. The tree points to the fact that Sittingbourne is the centre of cherry growing, it is said that the first cherries were planted in England at Teynham, near Sittingbourne, by Henry VIII.
The motto is an adaptation of St. Matthew, chap. 7, v. 20.


SOUTHBOROUGH URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL; See Southborough Town Council.

STROOD RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert two Quill Pens in saltire Or between in Chief a Gateway flanked by two Towers Argent and in base a Cornucopia of the second two Flaunches barry wavy of six Argent and Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Saxon Crown Or a Ship's Mast proper supporting a Sail Gules charged with a Horse rampant Argent pennon flying also Gules.

Motto 'SPES PATRIAE RUS' - The hope of the Country is the countryside.
Granted 26th June 1953.

strood rdc arms

The shield is a heraldic map of the District. The green central section represents the rich agricultural area of the Rural District, particularly the Hoo Peninsula; between blue and white waves representing the rivers Thames and Medway. The gateway refers to Cooling Castle and the quill pens refer to the area's literary associations with Charles Dickens. The Cornucopia stands for agriculture, the principal industry.
The Saxon crown refers to the sites of Saxon settlement and the ship's mast and sail to the maritime activities on the Medway. The white horse is from the arms of the County Council.


TONBRIDGE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent five Pallets wavy Azure a Chief Or over all a Bridge of five arches masoned proper and in base an Ancient Ship with oars Sable sail set and colours flying Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Port between two Towers masoned proper their conical roofs Azure on the dexter tower a Torteau charged with a Lion passant guardant Or and on the sinister tower a Bezant charged with three Chevronels Gules.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI SUPEREMA LEX' - The good of the people is the supreme law.
Granted 30th September 1935.

tonbridge udc arms

The bridge of five arches and the five streams represent the five waterways that once crossed Tonbridge High Street, three of which have now been culverted. The ship imposed across these implies the importance to Tonbridge of the making navigable of the River Medway, particularly before the coming of the railway.
The two towers at the top represent Tonbridge Castle. The left tower is allowed to carry the Royal emblem of a ‘Lion passant guardant’ because the Great Seal of England was kept for some time in Tonbridge Castle during one of the visits to France of Edward I. The three chevrons on the right tower are from the arms of Gilbert de Clare, Earl of Gloucester and ancient Lord of Tonbridge.
The motto is from Cicero.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page