BRECKNOCK RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Azure and Or on a Fesse wavy between in the first quarter a leaping Salmon Argent in the second a Beacon enflamed in the third an Oak Tree couped proper and in the fourth a Garb Gold a Bar wavy of the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front a Celtic Cross of Stone proper a Dragon passant Gules supporting with the dexter claw a Quill Pen point downwards Argent.

.

Motto 'LLIFA'R DWR LLEWYRCHA'R BOBL' - The water flows and the people prosper.
Granted 20th December 1954.

brecknock rdc arms

The blue and gold quarters have reference principally to local industries, blue being representative of the carboniferous limestone rock to be found in the southern areas of the district. The silver salmon represents fisheries, the gold wheatsheaf agriculture, and the oak tree forestry. The wavy blue and white wavy fesse has reference to water supplies and the beacon stands for the Brecknock or Brecon Beacons.
The Celtic cross represents the many cross slabs, ruins and other ancient monuments in the area. The red dragon is for Wales and the quill pen, tinctured silver or white, which it holds, denotes an association with Henry Vaughan (1622-1695), "Silurist" poet and physician, often called the "Swan of the Usk".


CAERNARVONSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Gules four Lions passant guardant counterchanged a Fesse Vert charged with three Eagles displayed of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert on a Mount Vert a Port between two Towers Or issuant therefrom a Plume of three Ostrich Feathers Argent.
SUPPORTERS On either side a Sea Dragon per fesse Gules and proper.

Motto 'CADERNID GWYNEDD' - The strength of Gwynedd.
Granted 21st July 1949.

caernarvonshire cc arms

The shield combines the arms of two great native Princes of Wales. The three eagles are those of Owain Gwynedd, and the four lions are those of Llywelyn Ein Llyw Olaf (Llywelyn the Last). The three eagles were also supposedly emblazoned on the banners borne by the men of Caernarvonshire at the Battle of Agincourt.
The crest shows a castle, for the three largest castles in the county, Conway, Criccieth and Caernarvon. Rising from the castle were the "Prince of Wales's feathers".
The sea-dragons, Welsh red dragons terminating in a fishtail, were intended to signify the maritime situation and associations of the County. The base or compartment of rocks, symbolises the coast and mountains of Caernarvonshire.
The motto is a quotation from the Mabinogion, a collection of medieval Welsh manuscripts.


CARMARTHEN RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert on a Pale Argent between two Garbs Or a Mullet of five points between four Mullets of six points Gules between two Pallets Sable a Chief per pale embattled Or and Gules thereon two Lions passant guardant counterchanged.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules a Mural Crown pendent from the middle battlement an Escutcheon bendwise Or charged with three Piles Azure.

.

Motto 'ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR' - Without sowing one cannot reap.
Granted 21st June 1951.

carmarthen rdc arms

The lions are from the arms of Wales. The green field and wheatsheaves refer to agriculture, and the black palets to coal. The points of the stars total 29, corresponding with the number of parishes in the District. One of these is Laugharne, which has a fine castle, represented by the mural crown, on which is the shield of Guy de Brian, a lormer lord of Laugharne.


DENBIGHSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Argent a Lion rampant Sable a Chief barry wavy Or and Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent Gules Or Purpure Argent and Azure a demi Lion Gules gorged with a Mural Crown Or supporting with the dexter fore claw an escutcheon quarterly Sable Argent Gules and Azure thereon a Ram's Head caboshed proper; Mantled Gules doubled Or.

.

Motto 'DUW A DIGON' - God is enough.
Granted 12th March 1962.

denbighshire cc arms

No further information currently available.


EBBW VALE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse Sable and Gules masoned Argent a Cross fillet Or in the first quarter a pair of Mill Rolls palwise proper the necks Gold in the second quarter an open Scroll of Parchment also proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Sable a Dragon passant Gules breathing fire proper gorged with a Collar of Steel also proper with a Chain of the same attatched thereto passing between the forelegs and reflexed over the back and resting the dexter foreclaw on an Ingot of Steel likewise proper.

.

Motto 'IECHYD AC ADDYSG' - Health and learning.
Granted 10th March 1958.

ebbw vale udc arms

The upper half is black to symbolise the coalfields of Ebbw Vale and the lower half red masoned white to represent the urban status of the district. The pair of mill rolls refer to the important steel industry, the parchent scroll to education, and the masoned division may also be said to allude to brickworking. Over all is set a golden cross emblematic of the Christian community long flourishing in Ebbw Vale and expressive of its aspirations.
The red dragon is for Wales breathing fire in allusion to Ebbw Vale's furnaces. For necessary heraldic difference and in emphasis of the district's flourishing steel industry the dragon has been collared and chained with steel and rests its claw on an ingot of the same metal.


GOWER RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of eight Argent and Azure on a Pile Azure a Lion rampant between three Cross Crosslets Or.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set upon a Rim Or a Mount of Heath proper thereon in front of a Lion holding between the fore-paws a Maltese Cross Argent a Portcullis chained Gold nailed Azure; Mantled Azure doubled Or.

.

Motto 'GLORIA RURIS DIVINA' - The glory of the countryside is divine.
Granted 20th January 1964.

gower rdc arms

The eight alternate white and blue wavy horizontal bands with a blue triangle pointing downward from the top, represent the peninsula surrounded by sea. The both the gold rampant lion and the three gold cross crosslets appear in the arms of the ancient Lords of Gower, the de Breos family and the Earls of Warwick. The crosses represent the Earls of Warwick, and the crosses and lion the de Breos family.
The golden coronet, with four ears of corn and four acorns symbolises the importance of agriculture and woodland, and to remind us that Gower is designated an area of outstanding natural beauty. The "mount of heath", is a pun on the name of Mrs Winifred Heath, who donated the Grant of Arms to the Council. The gold portcullis is an emblem of the Dukes of Beaufort, the most recent Lords of Gower. The white lion is an emblem both of the Mowbray and Herbert families, both Lords of Gower, and the Maltese cross reminds us of the link with the Knights Hospitallers who held the manors of Berry and Millwood in Gower.


HAWARDEN RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Bar wavy Argent a Barrulet wavy of the first and over all a Pallet Sable in chief a Hammer and Pick in Saltire Argent between two Ears of Wheat Or and in base a Lion rampant also Argent a Bordure of the last charged with nine Martlets Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on three Towers conjoined Argent a Dragon passant Gules holding in the dexter claw a Feather also Argent.

Motto 'GORAU NAWDD NAWDD DUW'- The best protection, the protection of God
Granted 23rd December 1954.

harwarden rdc arms

No further information currently available.


NEATH BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Per fesse Or and barry wavy Azure and Argent on a Mount Vert in base point a Tower double-towered Gules between two Lymphads issuant from the fesse line Sable flags and pennons per fesse of the third and Vert the sails also Gules charged with a Clarion Gold.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Sable a demi Eagle displayed wings inverted Or incensed proper and gorged with a Collar of Steel also proper pendent therefrom an Escutcheon Argent charged with the astronomical sign for Mars also Sable; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS On either side a Dragon Gules gorged with an ancient Crown Or pendent therefrom an Escucheon that on the dexter Or three Chevronels Gules that on the sinister quarterly Argent and Gules fretty Or a bendlet Sable.
BADGE: Upon an Oval barry wavy of six Argent and Azure environed of a Steel Hawser proper and ensigned with an ancient Crown Or a Tower as in the Arms.

Motto 'TU NIDAM SERVAS'- ?
Granted 20th February 1961.

neath bc (former) arms

The arms are heavily based on the Borough seal. The two black ships represent the coal trade with the blue and white waves representing the river below. The flags flying from the ships' masts are green and white, the colours of Wales, and the gold clarion on the sails are from the arms of Richard de Granville, Lord of Neath, Constable of the Castle of Neath and founder of Neath Abbey. The red tower on a green base represents the castle on the river bank.
The symbol of Mars is generally used to represent metal working. The two red dragons are symbols of Wales. The one on the left carries the arms of the de Clare family, Lords of Glamorgan, while the one on the right carries the arms of Hugh de Despenser, Lord of Gower,.


NEATH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Or and Sable a Pale paly wavy of four Vert and Argent between seven Gouttés d'Huile and as many Gouttés d'Or on a Chief Gules three Clarions Gold.
CREST: Out of a Circlet Gules charged with three Escallops Or a Mount Vert thereon a Lamb passant proper unguled Gold gorged with a Collar Sable charged with three Bezants pendent therefrom a Buglehorn stringed also Sable and supporting a Staff Or flying therefrom a Banner also Gules charged with three Chevrons Argent.

Motto 'ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR' - You cannot reap unless you sow.
Granted 1st June 1952.

neath rdc arms

The three clarions are taken from the arms of Neath Abbey, which were in turn taken from the arms of Sir Richard de Glanville, the Lord of Neath, who was instrumental in founding the abbey. The four alternate green and white wavy lines symbolise the white rivers and green valleys of the district. The gold field to the left is the the colour of ripe corn, representing agriculture. The seven drops of oil, symbolising the importance of the oil industry, and also reflecting the colours of BP Llandarcy which sponsored the Grant of Arms. The black field represents coal-mining with seven golden droplets, representing the smelting industries. Together the fourteen droplets represent the fourteen parishes which made up the Rural District.
The wreath and mantling are in the two principal colours of the shield. The red band with three gold scallop shells echoes the collars worn by the supporters of the Earl of Jersey's arms. The lamb is the emblem of both the Williams family of Aberpergwm and the Llewellyn family of Ynysygerwn, later Penllergaer. The lamb wears a black collar with three gold roundels, derived from the arms of the Tennant family of Cadoxton, and the black hunting-horn is the symbol of the Vaughan family of Rheola. Finally the banner shows the arms of Iestyn ap Gwrgan, the warlike ancestor of both the Llewellyn and Williams families.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page