EAST SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable a Cross engrailed Or on a Chief Ermine between two Leopard's Faces of the second a pale Azure thereon upon Waves of the Sea proper an ancient Galley to the sinister sail set and issuant from the sinister chief the Sun in Splendour also of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Rock proper a Falcon belled wings expanded Or the inside of the wings Azure supporting with the dexter claw a Staff erect also proper flying therefrom a Banner also Azure charged with a Garb Gold.

Motto 'OPUS NOSTRUM DIRIGE' - Direct our work.
Granted 14th December 1935.

east suffolk cc arms

The cross is from the arms of the Uffords, ancient Earls of Suffolk, and the leopards' faces are from the arms of the de la Pole Earls and Dukes of Suffolk. The galley repre­sents a Viking ship in token that the County is peopled largely by descendants of the Norsemen, and the rising sun denotes its easterly situation.
The crest is a differenced form of the badge of Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk.
The motto is a contraction of the Vulgate text, "Opus manuum nostrarum dirige".


WEST SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Cross fleury between five Martlets Or on a Chief Sable between two Mitres Argent two Arrows in saltire also Argent enfiled with an ancient Crown Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of two Arrows in saltire proper a Castle with two domed towers flags flying thereon Or.

Motto 'FOR KING LAW AND PEOPLE'.
Granted 9th June 1959.

west suffolk cc arms

The gold cross and five martlets on blue are the arms of Edward the Confessor, who in the 11th century granted to the Abbey of St Edmund the lands which later became the Liberty of St Edmund. The area of which corresponds to the area of the administrative county, and these were used by the Council before the arms were granted. The crossed arrows and crown is like that in the arms of the Borough of Bury St Edmunds and the mitres show a further connection to the Abbey.
The crest shows a representation of a castle, examples of which have been used as the seal of the Sheriffs of Suffolk and as a badge of the Suffolk Yeomanry.


ALDEBURGH BOROUGH COUNCIL
See Aldeburgh Town Council.

BECCLES BOROUGH COUNCIL
See Beccles Town Council.

BURY ST EDMUNDS BOROUGH COUNCIL
See Bury St Edmunds Town Council.

DEBEN RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure a Lymphad Or flying Flags and Pennon of St. George on a Chief Sable a Saxon Crown between two Garbs Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from the Battlements of a Tower Or a demi Stag Argent attired proper unguled Or gorged with a Collar Gules charged with three Escalops Or pendent therefrom a Cross engrailed Or and supporting with the legs an Anchor Sable.

Motto 'DEBENTUR OMNIA DEO' - We owe everything to God.
Granted 30th August 1963.

The white and blue waves on the shield represent the rivers and seaboard, especially the River Deben, which gives the district its name. The gold ship alludes to the shipping of the Deben and the coast. Its flags of St. George refer to local ships sent to augment the fleet which met the Spanish Armada in 1588. The black "chief" represents the Augustinian order of "black canons" at Butley Abbey. It can also be taken to represent the burial chamber in which was discovered the Saxon ship-burial at Sutton Hoo, the Saxon crown alluding to the belief that the burial was of the East Anglian king Aethelhere. The gold wheatsheaves symbolise a rural district.
The tower battlements refer to Orford, and are from the tower on the seal of the former borough of that name. A white stag was a supporter of the Arms of Sir Robert Walpole, Earl of Orford, and here it supports a black anchor from the Arms of Admiral Edward Russell, an earlier Earl of Orford whose earldom became extinct in 1727. The red collar bearing three gold scallop shells, is derived from the arms of the Seckford family; and from the collar hangs the gold cross of the Uffords, Earls of Suffolk, which is also to be found in the arms of East Suffolk County Council.
The motto contains the district's name.


GIPPING RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure semée of Fleurs-de-Lys a Bend wavy Argent between two Ears of Wheat slipped and leaved Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount Vert an Ash Tree proper in the centre and pendent from the branches by a Riband Azure an Escutcheon Sable charged with a Leopard's Face Or.

Motto 'DOMINI EST DIRIGERE' - It is for the Lord to direct.
Granted 25th May 1951.

gipping rdc arms

The blue background and fleurs-de-lys refer to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and indicate the great preponderance of parishes dedicated to her in the district. The ears of wheat allude to the two former rural districts combined into the Gipping Rural District - Bosmere and Claydon, and East Stow. The wavy bend represents the River Gipping.
The ash tree refers to the Ashburnham family and the leopard's face to the Wentworth and De Saumarez families, the latter also links to the arms of the East Suffolk CC.


SUDBURY BOROUGH COUNCIL
See Sudbury Town Council.

THINGOE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Ermine on a Chevron Vert between in chief two Garbs of Barley and in base the Sails of a Windmill saltirewise Or a Mitre Argent between two Ancient Crowns each enfiling as many Arrows points downward in saltire Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert a demi Ounce Sable bezantée gorged with a Collar counter-company Argent and Azure.

Motto 'ATTINGO RURA' - I manage the countryside.
Granted 20th February 1958.

thingoe rdc arms

The green chevron represents the "Thing-hoe" or "assembly-mound" from which the ancient hundred and Rural District took their names. The white abbot's mitre and two of the gold crowns and arrows of St. Edmund, represent the ecclesiastical history of the district in its close association with Bury Abbey and Ixworth Priory. The two sheaves of barley are for the chief industry of the district, agriculture; this is further represented by the windmill sails in the base, alluding to familiar landmarks of this part of Suffolk, especially that at Pakenham. The ermine background is an allusion to the district's royal connections, including many royal visits during the Tudor and Stuart periods and in more recent times.
The ounce is derived from the crest and supporters of the Marquesses of Bristol and is used nowhere else in civic heraldry. His collar of white and blue is that which decorates the crest and supporters of the Dukes of Grafton. The crest alludes to all the old local families through their two highest ranking representatives.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page