KESTEVEN COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert on a Pale Ermine an Oak Tree eradicated proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert a Heron in the beak a Pike proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Roman Legionary and on the sinister side a Lincolnshire Poacher of the early nineteenth century both proper.

Motto 'PERSEVERANTIA VINCIT' - Perseverance succeeds.
Granted 1950.

kesteven cc arms

The backgrond of Lincoln green refers to the County's verdant plains and the ermine pale alludes to Ermine Street. The oak-tree stands for the former wooded nature of the County.
The heron and pike represent the Fens.
The legionary recalls the Roman settlements in this part of Britain and the other supporter was suggested by the well-known song, 'The Lincolnshire Poacher'.


BOSTON BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Sable three Coronets each composed of Crosses patee and Fleurs-de-Lys in pale Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Woolpack proper charged with a Ram couchant Or horned Sable; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Mermaid proper crined and tail-fin Or ducally crowned Azure.

Motto 'PER MARE ET PER TERRAM' - By sea and land.
Recorded at the Visitation 1st December 1568.

boston fbc arms

The three crowns are said to represent the Dukes of Brittany, Richmond, and Suffolk.
The woolpack and ram allude to the fact that Boston was anciently a staple town for wool, and a woolpack also occurs on a fourteenth century seal.
The mermaids recall Boston's former importance as a commercial port, and a local tradition has it that, the mermaids were crowned in order to signify the connection between the Borough and two women of note in the reign of Henry VIII, namely Anne Boleyn and Princess Mary, Duchess of Suffolk.


BOSTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Bendy wavy of six Or and Azure on a Chief Sable a Garb between two Pairs of Windmill sails Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion guardant Or ducally crowned Azure supporting a Crosier Argent.

Motto 'SERVE WITH AMITY'.
Granted 1st December 1953.

boston rdc arms

No further information available.


CLEETHORPES BOROUGH COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Argent on a Bend engrailed between two Escallops Azure three Owls Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Rock a Pelican Argent vulning herself Gules gorged with a Strap also Argent Buckle Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Norseman holding in the exterior hand a Shield and on the sinister side a Cleethorpes Fisherman holding in the exterior hand a Net all proper.

Motto 'VIGILANTES' - Watchful.
Granted 8th September 1936.

cleethorpes bc arms

The design is based on a device used by the former UDC, a sliver shield with a three gold owls on a blue bend and a scallop shell above the shield. How this device came to be adopted is not known, but it has been suggested that the owls were taken as symbolic of a community of watchful night-workers, the men of Cleethorpes in former times being vigilant with regard not only to fish, but also wreckage. A more likely theory is that the owls derive from the arms of the local family of Appleyard. The bend is engrailed so as to refer to Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, the chief landowner in the town - the arms of the College, embody the engrailed bend of Radcliffe, Earl of Sussex.
The pelican is from the arms of the Earl of Yarborough, Lord of the Manor, the strap is from the arms granted to the Pelham family to commemorate the capture of the French King at Poictiers by Sir John Pelham.
The supporters reprsent the town's past and present seafaring associations.


EAST ELLOE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules issuant from the base a reprsentation of the Elloe Stone proper between two Mitres in fesse Or a Chief arched barry wavy of six Argent and Azure.
CREST: Out of a Circlet Vert charged with five wheatears an Eagle's Head Or in the beak a Tulip Gules stalked and leaved proper; Mantled Gules doubled Or.

Motto 'ALACRES ILLO COLUERUNT' - Eagerly they toiled to that end.
Granted 16th March 1955.

east elloe rdc arms

The red background comes from the arms of the de Multons of Holbeach, Crowland Abbey and two famous Englishmen of the area - Richard Hakluyt, the geographer and Nicholas Breakspear, the only English Pope. The main charge is the Elloe Stone, near which, in Saxon times, was held the Shire Mote or Hundred Court of the Elloe wapentake, from which the Rural District took its name. The mitres stand for Castle Acre Priory and the above mentioned Crowland Abbey, which had close associations with many parishes in the area. The curved 'chief' and the waves above it denote the northern boundary constituted by the Wash and the estuary of the River Welland.
The green band charged with five gold wheatears, synbolises the Rural District. The head of the Roman eagle alludes to the many associations of the district with the Roman occupation. The tulip refers to the most well-known characteristic industry of modern times. Thus the crest bridges the history of the district from Roman times to the present day.
The motto refers to the pioneer work of earlier generations in draining the fens and marshes and cultivating the land so reclaimed, so that it is now one of the finest agricultural districts in the Country. The word "illo" in the motto may be taken as a play on the name and the whole is an anagram of "East Elloe Rural Council".


GAINSBOROUGH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale barry wavy of six Azure and Argent and Ermine on a Pale Or a Chevron Vert between in chief a Mitre afrontée Gules charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Gold and in base an Eagle displayed [wings inverted] also Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules a Danish Dragon-Ship Sable pennon flying Azure the sail Or charged with a Boar's Head erased of the first armed and langed Gules.

Motto 'TRUST AND TRIUMPH'.
Granted 8th October 1952.

gainsborough rdc arms

The blue and white waves represent the River Trent and the ermine refers to Ermine Street, between these lies the gold 'pale' representing the rich agricultural areas. The chevron is common to the arms of John Wycliffe, Thomas Sutton and Admiral Lord Hawke, all of whom have associations with the area. Here it is coloured green to represent the central ridge called the Cliff. The mitre recalls the ancient See of Lindsey, based at Stow, from which the present See of Lincoln descends. The fleur-de-lys is a symbol of St. Mary and the red and gold is taken from the present diocesan colours. The eagle alludes to the area's many Roman connections and the presence of the R.A.F.
The blue and gold of the wreath are the colours of the Wray family and the dragon-ship is from the arms of the Lindsey County Council. They recall how Sweyn sailed up the Trent and made this district his headquarters. The boar's head refers to his name and is also found in the crest of the Bacon family.
The motto is a quotation from The Mill on the Floss, written at Morton.


GLANFORD BRIGG RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Ermine between three Pallets wavy Azure two Croziers addorsed Or on a Chief Sable a representation of Brigg Bridge proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure issuant from Flames a Lincolnshire Red Shorthorn Bull's Head proper charged on the neck with three Links of Chain in fesse Argent.

Motto 'ALWAYS READY'.
Granted 27th March 1950.

glanford brigg rdc arms

The ermine background recalls Ermine Street, which runs through the District, and the blue waves are for the River Ancholme lying between the River Trent and the southward sweep of the River Humber, which formed the westward and eastward boundaries. The gold croziers are from the arms of Thornton Abbey, they also refer to the ancient See of Lindsey, whose bishop's were seated at Kirkton-in-Lindsey. The relative positions of the waves and the croziers correspond to the geographical situation, so that the shield forms a kind of heraldic map. The black 'chief' is from the arms of the Order of St. Augustine, or Black Canons, which was represented at Thornton Curtis.
The bull's head, represents the local strain of cattle, it rises from flames standing for ironstone mining. The links, play on the name of the County, and were the device of the old Lincolnshire Sugar Company, refering to the sugar-beet industry.


GRANTHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Chequy Or and Azure a Bordure Sable verdoy of Trefoils slipped Argent.

Recorded at the Visitation of 1634.

grantham bc arms

The chequers are the arms of the Warennes, to which the border was added for difference. One theory is that the trefoils or ivy leaves that decorate an ancient mace in the possession of the Corporation suggested the choice of trefoils to decorate the border.


GRIMSBY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert an ancient Ship of three masts Or each flying a forked Pennon of St.George the sails set Argent the mainsail charged with a Beehive and the fore and mizzen sails charged with an Escallop Sable on a Chief wavy also Argent two Dolphins embowed also Vert finned Gules.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set alternately upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon an Aberdeen Angus Bull statant proper.

Motto 'BY FAITH AND INDUSTRY'.
Granted 20th June 1961.

grimsby rdc arms

The ancient ship, two dolphins and scallop shells are a reminder of the rural district's maritime associations. The beehive represents industry.
The rural crown, of ears of wheat and acorns, is granted to many rural district councils, within this is a mount on which stands an Aberdeen Angus bull for agriculture.


HORNCASTLE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Castle of two Towers Gules on a Chief wavy Vert a Mitre Gold between two Lincolnshire Shorthorn Bulls' Heads caboshed proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Wreath of Laurel Vert a dexter Arm embowed in Armour the hand grasping a dexter Gauntlet all proper the upper arm charged with a Sun Or.

Motto 'DEFEND THE RIGHT'.
Granted 30th January 1956.

horncastle rdc arms

The principal emblem is a double-towered castle alluding to Tattershall Castle, one of the District's most famous landmarks. The wavy line refers to Tennyson's brook at his birthplace at Somersby, and the green "chief" above it with the Bulls' heads alludes to the character of the District as one of the finest growing and cattle raising areas in the whole country. The golden mitre refers to the area's ancient monastic history and in particular to the abbeys at Kirkstead, Revesby and Tupholme, also to the fact that Archbishop Stephen Langton, who presented Magna Carta for King John's signature in 1215 was born at Langton by Wragby, and that John of Dalderby who was responsible for the building of the central tower of Lincoln Cathedral about the year 1307, was Bishop of Lincoln from 1300 to 1320.
The laurel-wreath, which, like the bull's head, appears in the Lindsey CC arms, refers to the Poet Laureate, Tennyson, and the arm with the gauntlet in the hand refers to the office of King's Champion, held by the Dymoke family of Scrivelsby and their predecessors the Marmions since the early 14th Century (c.f. Beddington and Wallington BC). The golden sun on the arm was a badge of Richard II, at whose Coronation in 1377 a Dymoke officiated for the first time.
From the terms of the Dymokes tenure of the manor by this office comes the motto "Defend the Right".


LOUTH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse Argent and barry wavy of the first and Vert on a Fesse of the last between in chief two Fleeces proper banded and ringed Or and in base a Lincoln Red Shorthorn Bull's Head caboshed and ringed also proper three Garbs Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Greyhound Sable charged on the shoulder with a Heneage Knot Argent and suporting either paw a Danish double-headed Axe the head downwards proper.

Motto 'LET US GROW IN SERVICE'.
Granted 5th December 1958.

louth rdc arms

The fleece, wheatsheaves and bull's head refer to the mainly agricultural nature of the District. The waves to the areas waterways and the coast.
The greyhound and knot are from the heraldry of the Heneage family, who historically held land and were influencial in the District. The axe recalls the part played in the history of the area by the Viking invasions.


SOUTH KESTEVEN RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on Waves of the Sea in base barry wavy Azure and of the first a Norse Ship Sable sail shields and oars Or the sail charged with a Raven proper flag flying to the dexter Gules on a Chief Vert a Mitre between two Garbs of the fourth.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert issuant from the Battlements of a Tower a demi Savage girdled and wreathed about the temples with Oak Leaves proper grasping in the dexter hand a Flagstaff the flag Or fretty Azure.

Motto 'ORA ET ARA' - Pray and plough.
Granted 26th October 1948.

Picture courtesy of Patrick Banister.

south kesteven rdc arms

The ship alludes to the district's historical background, and the raven is not only the emblem of the Danish invaders, but also represents the Parish of Corby. The wheatsheaves stand for agriculture and the mitre refers to the many monastic foundations in the area.
The man of the woods recalls the ancient forest of Kesteven. The banner shows the arms of Willoughby, for the Earl of Ancaster, Baron Willoughby d'Eresby and Baron Aveland.


SPALDING URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure an Estoile between three Garbs two and one Or on a Chief of the last an open Book proper bound Gules edged of the second between two Tulips of the third stalked and leaved Vert.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lymphad Or with Pennons of St. George flying to the dexter the Sail Azure charged with a Lily stalked and leaved proper.

Motto 'VICINAS URBES ALIT' - She nourishes the neighbouring cities.
Granted 28th June 1950.

spaldibg udc arms

The blue background and gold wheatsheaves derive from the arms of the Earldom of Chester and Lincoln. In 1230 the Earl of Lincoln gave Spalding Priory licence to use and bear his arms, this implied that the Earl was patron of the Priory. The golden star has been added for difference. It can be seen as a starfish, refering to the former fishing industry, against a blue background, representing the cornfields and wide sky-scapes of the Fenland district. The book represents the Spalding Gentlemans' Society, founded in 1710, and the second oldest learned society in the country. The tulips represent the local flower growing industry.
The patron saints of Spalding - St.Mary and St. Nicholas - are symbolised by the lily and galley respectively. The galley also recalls the former Port of Spalding.
The motto was adopted many years ago, probably in reference to the agricultural produce of the district.


WELTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Cross patonce Or between five Fountains on a Chief Azure a Pallet Ermine between two Lions passant guardant Gold.
CREST: Out of a Circlet Vert charged with three Ears of Wheat Or two Ostrich Feathers Argent between the same a demi Lion Gold gorged with a Collar Gules holding in the forepaws at Battle-Axe the haft Sable the head proper.

Motto 'PRESTS POUR NOSTRE PAYS'.
Granted 20th June 1955.

welton rdc arms

No further information currently available.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page