SURREY COUNTY COUNCIL (Former)

ARMS: Per pale Azure and Sable a Fess per pale Ermine and Or in chief a representation of the Crown of King Edgar proper and a Sprig of Oak fructed Argent.
BADGE: On a Roundel per pale Azure and Sable a Sprig of Oak fructed Argent the stem enfiled with a representation of the Crown of King Edgar proper.

Arms granted 8th August 1934, Badge granted 20th January 1958.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

surrey cc (former) arms

The gold and blue are derived from the arms of the Warrennes, Earls of Surrey (blue and gold chequers) and the black from the fields of the arms of the Boroughs of Guildford and Godalming. The ermine is from the arms of the Borough of Richmond, and the crown of King Edgar, represents Kingston upon Thames, where several Saxon kings were crowned. At the time of the grant both of these places were within the County. The oak refers to the County's rural areas and is derived from the heraldry of the FitzAlans and Howards, Earls of Surrey.


BAGSHOT RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Or and Argent a Stag's Head caboshed Gules between the attires a Ball Sable fired in cross proper on a Chief Vert charged with two Barrulets wavy also Argent a Lion passant Gold over all.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of eight Fir Cones set upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Falcon close proper jessed and belled Gold.

Motto 'FESTINA PRUDENTER'.
Granted 20th July 1960.

bagshot rdc arms

The gold and white background is from the arms of Chertsey Abbey, which owned and is connected with the history of much of the district, Bagshot was included in a grant to the Abbey as early as 933. The stag's head refers to Bagshot Park, a royal demesne since Norman times and hunting ground of the Stuart kings, and also to the fact that much of the area was was formerly part of Windsor Forest. The grenade refers to the area's military associations, in particular the former military camp at Chobham and the lion recalls the area's royal links.
The fir cones and mound of heathland refers to Bagshot Heath, and the falcon is derived from the supporters of the Earls of Onslow.


BARNES BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Saltire Or between four Ostrich feathers Argent two Oars in saltire proper the blade of that to the dexter dark blue and that to the sinister light blue.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Griffin Gules the dexter gorged with a Collar flory Or charged with four Crosses patee fitchee Sable the sinister gorged with a like Collar charged with as many Lozenges also Sable.

Motto 'NOT FOR OURSELVES ALONE'.
Granted 5th October 1932.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

barnes bc arms

The ostrich feathers refer to the Duke of Windsor (at the time of the grant, Prince of Wales), who was born at White Lodge in Richmond Park. The oars, in the light and dark blue of Oxford and Cambridge refer to the University Boat Race, which ends at Mortlake. It is interesting to note that the arms are blazoned as 'dark blue' and 'light blue', as the term azure does not indicate differnt shades of blue.
The griffins are derived from the heraldry of the Earls Spencer, Lords of the Manor of Mortlake. The crosslets are from the arms of the Archbishops of Canterbury, who at one time held the manor and the lozenges are from the arms of the Bishop of Southwark, in whose diocese Barnes lies.


BEDDINGTON AND WALLINGTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Argent a Fess embattled between three roses Gules each surmounted by a a Rose Argent barbed and seeded proper the Fess surmounted by an Escutcheon Azure charged with a representation of an Hannibal Aircraft volant Argent and in base a rising Sun Or all within a Bordure compony Or and Azure.
*CREST: On a wreath Argent and Gules issuant a dexter Arm in Armour embowed the hand grasping a Gauntlet proper.

Motto 'PER ARDUA AD SUMMA' - Through Difficulties to the Heights.
Granted 3rd July 1937.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

beddington and wallington bc arms

The embattled fess refers to a walled town, sometimes said to be the Romano-British town of Noviomagus (of doubtful location, but believed by some early antiquarians to have been at Woodcote, in the south of Wallington). Perhaps, more probably, however, this is a reference to a mistaken derivation of the name "Wallington" (which really means 'settlement of the Welsh' or Celts) as 'walled town'. The border, is in the colours of the arms of the Warrenne Earls of Surrey. The Tudor roses refer to the prominence of the Carew family of Beddington in Tudor times, and to Beddington and Wellington being royal manors when confiscated by Henry VIII after the execution of Sir Nicholas Carew, K.G., Master of the Horse, for alleged treason in 1539 as part of Henry's collection of local manors when building Nonsuch Palace. The small inner shield, with its aeroplane flying over a rising sum, refers to the presence of Croydon Aerodrome, London's first major airport, in the east of the Borough. (The first Croydon Airport, formed in 1920 from two First World War flying fields was wholly in Beddington and Wellington; the extended Airport, after 1928, was 86% so). This was the first instance of a complete aeroplane being used in civic heraldry.
The arm in armour, holding a gauntlet - to be flung down in challenge to a false contender for the Crown - refers to the Dymock or Dymoke family, of Scrivelsby in Lincolnshire, who held the Manor of Wallington, in the 15th and 16th centuries,and whose head is the Hereditary Champion of England.
The motto, again with Croydon Aerodrome (which began as an RFC/RAF station) in mind, is based on the RAF motto: 'Per ardua ad astra'.


CARSHALTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

*ARMS: Or on a Chevron between in chief two Lions rampant combatant Gules and in base a Greyhound passant Sable a Fountain between two Sprigs of Oak fructed Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Or charged with a Rose Gules thereon another Argent barbed and seeded a Swan rousant holding in its beak a Sprig of Beech proper.

Motto 'ANIMO ET FIDE' - By Courage and Faith.
Granted 14th May 1952.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

carshalton udc arms

The main colours of gold and red are those of the arms of the Mandevilles, Lords of the Manor of Carshalton at the time of the Domesday survey. The lions with a forked tail derive, with a change of colour, from the heraldry of the Burghershes, who held the sub-manor of Stone Court in the 14th century and the six gold lions from the arms of the de Bohuns, Earls of Hereford and Essex and heirs of the Mandevilles. Lions, or their heads, also appear in the arms of Sir John Fellowes and those of Philip Yorke, Earl of Hardwicke; both of whom, at different times, owned Carshalton House. The red chevron is for both Gainsford, a family which held Stone Court in the 15th and 16th centuries, and Scawen: the latter family holding the sub-manor of Mascalls (the house or its successor, later becoming Carshalton Park or Place) from 1713 to 1781. The heraldic fountain, the symbol for water, stands for Carshalton's springs, pools and ponds; and the River Wandle which rises partly in Carshalton. The sprigs of oak provide a link with the arms of the Surrey County Council, and also refer to The Oaks, the house once belonging to the Earls of Derby, now demolished, which used to stand in the Oaks Park in the south of Catshalton. From here, both the Derby and the Oaks horse races received their names.
The mural crown is from the crest of the Fellowes family who owned Carshalton House from 1714 to 1731. The swan again symbolises Carshalton's waters, and the sprig of beech in its beak represents Carshalton Beeches.


CHERTSEY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a Key Or and Sword proper hilt and pommel Or wards and points [upwards] in saltire enfiled through a Mural Crown Argent a Chief wavy barry wavy Argent and Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a representation of a Church proper a Pike fessewise Or.

Motto 'SERVIRE CONTENDIMUS' - We strive to serve.
Granted 20th December 1962.

The green background represents the metropolitan green belt and rural amenities generally, and the wavy white and blue chief represents the River Thames, which forms the northern boundary of the district. The key of St. Peter and sword of St. Paul refer to the dedication of the two principal churches and the parts of the district in which they are situated. The mural crown represents local government and urban development.
The depiction of Chertsey Abbey, which was founded in 666 by Erkenwald and had a great influence over this part of Surrey, is from the seal used before the arms were obtained. The pike recalls the tiles with a pike motif, which were made at Chertsey in the 13th century, and can be seen on the tiled floor of the chapter house of Westminster Abbey.


COULSDON AND PURLEY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Chevron Vert between in chief an Oak tree and Beech Tree both fructed and eradicated proper and in base a Lion rampant Sable five Plates.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Cubit Arm proper in the hand addorsed two Keys in bend sinister the bows interlaced and wards uppermost Argent.

Motto 'AD SUMMA PERGAMUS' - Let us press on to the highest.
Granted 24th March 1953.

coulsdon and purley udc arms

The gold background is from the arms of Merton College, Oxford who have held the Manor of Farleigh since 1264. The green chevron refers to the green belt and its shape to the hilly nature of the district, in particular to 'Cuthraed's Dun or Hill' from which Coulsdon is named. The five white roundels, representing pearls, refer to Purley, five in number for the main communities of Coulsdon, Kenley, Purley, Sanderstead and Selsdon. The black lion is from the arms of the Abbey and Convent of Hyde, which held the Manor of Sanderstead from circa 964 to 1538, and the trees refer to the area's wooded nature, with special reference to Purley Oaks and Purley Beeches.
The arm is from the crest of the Attwood or Atwood family, who were closely connected with the Manors of Coulsdon and Sanderstead. The keys are from the arms of the Benedictine Abbey of St. Peter and St. Paul, Chertsey holders of the Manor of Coulsdon from 727 to 1538.


CROYDON COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Argent and Or a Cross parted and fretted Gules between three Cornish Choughs proper in the first quarter as many Crosses patee fitchée Sable in the second a Cross flory Azure charged with three Besants fessewise in the third and a Fesse embattled of the third in the fourth.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert a Crosier fessewise Or thereon a Fountain in front of a Tilting Spear in bend surmounting a Sword in bend sinister the whole between two Tufts of Rye-grass proper banded Gold

Motto 'SANITATE CRESCAMUS' - May We Grow in Health.
Granted 10th August 1886.

croydon cbc arms

The three Cornish choughs or "beckits", in the first quarter, from the arms of St. Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury, are a reminder of Croydon's long association, through the Manor of Croydon, with the Archbishops of Canterbury. The three crosses patee fitchée, in the second quarter, are another allusion to Canterbury and derive from the four similar crosses of the arms of the See. The blue cross charged with three bezants, in the third quarter, is a reminder of Archbishop Whitgift, whose benefactions to Croydon include the two famous schools which bear his name. The embattled fess, in the fourth quarter, is a heraldic representation of a town wall which is appropriate to the arms of a municipality. The cross parted and fretted is to make it plain that the four quarters into which the shield is divided do not indicate, as heraldic quarterings normally do, the descent of the bearer from several families.
The mound and heraldic fountain represent a stream of water issuing from a green hill. This stands for the Croydon Bourne, and the gold-bound tufts of rye-grass are said to allude to the rye-grass of the irrigation meadows of Beddington Farm. The gold crozier, an archbishop's great staff, is another reminder of the association of Croydon with Canterbury. The sword and tilting spear recall the Royal Military College of the Honourable East India Company, which stood at Addiscombe from 1809 until 1850.


DORKING AND HORLEY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert semée of [twelve] Acorns Or two Bendlets wavy Argent.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of eight Pine Cones set upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Griffin passant Gold the beak and forelegs Azure and ducally gorged of the last holding in the dexter claw a Hammer erect proper.

Motto 'E GLANDE QUERCUS' - From the acorn, the oak.
Granted 20 March 1959.

Picture by R.Young.

dorking and horley rdc arms

The shield is an heraldic map of the district, with the green background symbolizing the countryside of Surrey and twelve gold acorns, from the arms and badge of the County Council. They represent the twelve parishes of the district, and are set in positions relative to their location between and around the River Mole and Tillingbourne Stream, represented by the two white waves.
The colours of the wreath and mantling are green, doubled with white shaded grey, giving reference to the greensand, chalk and wealden clay of the area. The distinctive coronet of gold pine cones refers to the weald, Leith Hill woodland and the health-giving properties of the district. The grassy mound within the coronet alludes to the local hills, and on this stands the griffin crest of one of the principal local families, Evelyn of Wotton, to which belonged the famous diarist. He holds a hammer for the ancient wealden ironstone industry.
The motto "E glande quercus" ("from the acorn, the oak") is appropriate to the design of the arms and symbolizes steady progress to great strength.


DORKING URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Chequy Or and Azure a Pale Gules thereon a Lion rampant per fesse of the first and Argent between in chief a Ducal Coronet Gold and in base a Sprig of Oak fructed also Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours within a Mural Crown Argent a Mount Vert standing thereon a Dorking Cock proper.

Motto 'VIRTUTE ET VIGILANTIA' - By courage and vigilance.
Granted 24th August 1954.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

dorking udc arms

The arms represent the passing of the Manor of Dorking from the Warrennes to the Howards. The gold and blue chequers are from the arms of the Warrennes, ancient Earls of Surrey. The first Earl recieved the the Manor with his bride, the daughter of William I. The Manor then passed to the FitzAlans of Arundel, who bore a gold lion on red, and then to the Morbays, who bore a white lion on red. These two lions are combined on the red pale, which also represents the old Roman Road. The ducal coronet refers to the Dukes of Norfolk, who later came into possession of the Manor. The white acorn is from the arms of the Surrey County Council, and is part of the heraldry of the Dukes of Norfolk, who are also Earls of Surrey.
The mural crown is a familiar symbol of local government and in this case is coloured to indicate the many buildings hereabouts made of Dorking lime. The mound represents the local heights, especially Box Hill and upon this is a cock of the distinctive five-toed Dorking breed.
The motto is a quotation from Cicero.


EGHAM URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a representation of Magna Carta ensigned by a representation of the Crown of King John proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert in front of a Weeping Willow Tree and on Water barry wavy a swan proper.

Motto 'UT HOMINES LIBERI SINT' - That men may go free.
Granted 19th March 1951.

egham udc arms

The green background, scroll and crown were are from the device previously used by the Council. The scroll represents Magna Carta and the crown alludes to King John. The green background may be said to represent Runnymede, where the historic signing, or more acurately sealing of the Great Charter of freedom by King John took place in 1215. The scroll closely resembles whiat is believed to be the earliest copy of Magna Carta, now in the British Museum and the design of the crown is based on that worn by King John on his tomb in Worcester Cathedral.
The swan and willow are characteristic of Runnymede and its Thames-side location.


ESHER URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Chevron Or between in dexter chief a Griffin passant in sinister chief an Eagle displayed Argent and in base on a Mount Vert a representation of Wayneflete's Tower at Esher Place proper a Chief Argent charged with two Barrulets of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount Vert in front of three Silver Birch Trees a Lion passant Guardant Or.

Granted 1st June 1957.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

esher udc arms

The gold chevron on blue is from the ancient arms of the d'Abernons, Lords of the Manor of Stoke D'Abernon in the Middle Ages. Above are a white griffin from the arms of the Evelyns of Wotton and also those of Cardinal Wolsey, who resided for a time at Waynflete's Tower, which is shown in the base. The white eagle comes from the arms of Merton Priory, which held lands in Molesey for 400 years. The two blue waves on white refer to the rivers Mole and Ember and the parts of the district by the Thames.
The wreath and mantling are in the liveries of the County Council, blue and gold. The Royal Lion alludes to the associations of the district with the Royal family and the three silver birches to the wealth of the district in commons and woodlands.


FARNHAM URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
See Farnham Town Council

FRIMLEY AND CAMBERLEY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure three Owls Argent membered Or each perched on a Branch of Oak leaved also Argent fructed Gold on a Chief of the last a Tower also Azure between on the dexter a Sword in bend proper hilt and pomel Gules and two Keys in bend sinister addorsed and the bows interlaced the upper Gules the lower Azure and on the sinister two Swords in saltire also proper hilts and pomels also Gules.
CREST; On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion queue forchée Or cucally crowned Gules holding in the paws a Grenade fired proper.

Motto 'A DEO ET REGINA' - From God and the Queen.
Granted 27th February 1956.

frimley and camberley udc arms

The three owls are from the arms of the Le Marchant family, lords of the adjoining manor of Chobham, with the additional association that Major General John G. Le Marchant was appointed the first Lieutenant Governor of the Royal Military College. The branches of oak upon which the owls are perched come from the arms of the Surrey County Council and are ultimately derived from the heraldry of the Howards, Earls of Surrey, they also commemorate the fact that the district once formed the most southerly ride of the royal chase of Windsor Forest. The tower is from the crest of the Earls of Stanhope, with the crossed swords representing the Staff College at Camberley, the Royal Military College at Sandhurst and other local military associations. The sword and keys are from the arms of Chertsey Abbey which was granted the manor of Frimley in Saxon times and held it until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1537 when it was granted to the Whites, passing to their descendants, the Tichbornes who are commemorated by the gold chief, which comes from their family arms.
The lion, holding a fired grenade, is also from the crest of the Earls of Stanhope. Camberley largely owes its origin to the Royal Military College which was moved here from Buckinghamshire largely through the influence of the daughter of the third Earl Stanhope. The forked tail of the lion alludes to the uniting of Frimley and Camberley as one local authority.
The motto, is adapted from the motto of the Stanhopes, which is 'A Deo et Rege'.


GODALMING BOROUGH COUNCIL
See Godalming Town Council.

GUILDFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL (Former)

ARMS: Sable on a Mount Vert between two Woolpacks Argent a Castle with three Towers Argent the central one triple-towered and charged with a Shield of the Royal Arms of France and England quarterly the outer towers each surmounted by a Spire under the battlements two Roses in fesse and within the open port beneath a Portcullis a Key all Or on the mount before the port a Lion chouchant guardant also Or the base barry wavy Argent and Azure.

Recorded at the Visitations of 1623 and 1662-3.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

guildford bc arms (former)

The principal charge recalls the Norman castle at Guildford, the ruins of which now stand in a public park. The shield above the battlements, lion and roses are all allude to the Crown. The key is possibly derived from the arms of the ancient Abbey of St. Peter at Chertsey, which once held extensive lands in Surrey. The woolpacks represent what was anciently the town's staple trade and the waves in base refer to the River Wey.


GUILDFORD RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Azure and Sable issuant from Water barry wavy in base proper a Mount Vert thereon in front of an Oak Tree fructed a Lion chouchant guardant Or over all on a Fesse Argent three Cornish Choughs also proper.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns slipped and leaved set alternately upon a Rim Or a demi Lion Argent aroung the neck a Rope proper entwined therewith an Anchor fessewise Or and between the fore paws a Flaxbreaker Gold Mantled Sable and Azure doubled Argent.

Motto 'FORTITER ET FIDELITER' - Bravely and faithfully.
Granted 10th May 1960.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

guildford rdc arms

The shield is parted like that of the Surrey County Council into blue and black a reminder that the Rural District surrounds the County town. The golden royal lion lying on a hill above waves representing the River Wey are taken from the arms of the Borough of Guildford, the inclusion of these emblems indicates Rural District Council's situation and identifies its name readily, as Guildford is the only town in England bearing such a lion in its shield. The castle in the town's arms, is however, replaced by an oak tree to indicate that it is the Guildford Rural area, it also refers specifically to the present woodlands and ancient forest. The white band running across the shield represents the Pilgrims' Way, which follows the chalk ridge of the Downs across the district. The three Cornish choughs have a triple significance, firstly they appear in the traditional arms of St. Thomas a Becket and the City of Canterbury, whither the pilgrims were travelling. Secondly they refer to the arms of Cornwall, in which one chough appears, and allude here to the ancient use of the Pilgrims' Way as a road from Cornwall for the Roman metal traders, and thirdly they appear also in the arms of one of the County's chief families, the Onslows, steated within the District.
The wreath and mantling are in the principal colours of the arms, blue, black and white. The crown of wheatears and acorns is know as a "rural crown" and is used for rural districts councils. The white lion is derived from the supporters of Lord Howard of Eflingham, with a golden anchor at his neck as it appeared on his flag as Lord High Admiral in the Battle of Armada. The lion holds the unique flax-breaker crest of the ancient local family of Bray of Shere.
The motto is that of Sir Anthony Browne of West Horsley, Master of the Horse to Henry VIII, it is also appropriate to the fortitude of the pilgrims using the Way.


HASLEMERE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
See Haslemere Town Council.

LEATHERHEAD URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per saltire Vert and barry wavy of six Argent and Azure in chief Flames proper encircled by a Chain of Square Links in base a Stag's Head caboshed Or between the attires an open Book proper bound and clasped also Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Wreath of Oak Leaves fructed proper a Swan rousant Argent the sinister wing charged with a Sword point upward Gules.

Motto 'SERVICE LINKS ALL'.
Granted 6th May 1946.

leatherhead udc arms

The green sections of the field denote the rural nature of the area and suggest the Surrey Hills sloping down to the valley of the Mole. The blue and white wavy lines represent the waters of the River Mole and the intersection of the diagonal lines also portrays the river crossing (now by bridge) which has existed since very early times and gave rise to the name of Letherhead, 'the public riding ford'. The four sections of the shield also refer to the four wards of the District. The chief contains symbols, that form an original and perpetual memorial to the citizen army of World War II. The local Civil Defence Services on disbandment provided, by subscription from their ranks an heraldic memorial to their colleages who died. The flame portrays the fire of the enemy, encircled or contained by a chain of portcullis in gold, emblem of defence and security representing the unity and strength of the Civil Defence Services of the four wards. The arms are thus unique in civic heraldry in that they represent Civil Defence. The stag's head on a background of the green or parkland is a link with the times when deer abounded in the locality and has special reference to the deer park, Ashtead. The open book refers to the excellent education facilities in the District.
The swan is a reminder of the old coaching days and of the Old Swan Inn which until recent years stood at the crossroads in the centre of the town, it also refers to the river and other water in the area. The red sword on the left wing refers to the association of the City of London (the City's arms contain a red sword of St. Paul), and the district through the City Freeman's School, at Ashtead, and is also a reference to the war services which the arms commemorate. The wreath of oak alludes to rural Surrey and has reference to the arms of the County Council.


MALDEN AND COOMBE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Ermine on a Chevron Vert between two Chevronels the upper one per pale Azure and Gules and the lower one per pale Gules and Azure a Cross pattée Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert issuant from a Chaplet of Bay Leaves Vert banded Or a demi Stag proper gorged with a Ducal Coronet Gold and holding between the fore legs a Fountain.

Motto 'DUCIT AMOR OPPIDI' - The love of our town leads us.
Granted 14th August 1936.

malden and coombe bc arms

The green chevron charged with a cross refers to the name Malden - Maeldune, 'the hill of the cross', The blue and red chevrons are from the arms of Merton College, Oxford, which still owns in Malden the estates conferred in the thirteenth century by Walter de Merton on his house of scholars. The ermine field denotes Coombe's longstanding connection with the Crown.
The green of the wreath and mantling refers to the abundance of open spaces and sports grounds in the area. Among these is part of Richmond Park, hence the stag, while the heraldic fountain which it holds indicates the brooks and streams, from which Cardinal Wolsey obtained water for Hampton Court. The bay-wreath, a symbol of honour in ancient Rome, is a reminder of Malden's note in Romano-British times, and the coronet refers to the Duke of Cambridge, formerly the chief landowner in Coombe.


MERTON AND MORDEN URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable a Fret Or on a Chief of the last two Lions passant respectant of the field.

Motto 'IN LIBERTATE VIS' - Our strength is our freedom.
Granted 12th July 1943.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

merton and morden udc arms

The two lions are from the arms of the Garth family, who owned the Manor of Morden from 1553 to 1884. The fret is from the arms of Merton Priory, which held extensive lands in Merton and beyond from 1117 until its disolution in 1538.
The motto alludes to the Allies fighting the cause of liberty at the time of the grant during the Second World War.


MITCHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Or on a Pale Vert between two Sprigs of Lavender each with three stalks proper a Fess wavy Argent charged with a Bar wavy Azure between in chief two Keys in saltire wards upwards and outwards surmounted by a Sword point downwards Or and in base a Tower Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert three Sprigs of Lavender proper enfiled by a Mural Crown Or.

Motto 'MITCHAM FAESTE GESTANDEP' - Mitcham stands fast.
Granted 14th September 1934.

Picture by R.Young.

mitcham bc arms

The principal colour of the shield is green, a reference to Mitcham Green. The blue and white waves indicate a river or ford, as the upper part of Mitcham was formerly called Witford or Waterford. Below is a tower, which represents the Great Dwelling or 'Mitchelham', as the lower part of Mitcham was formerly called. The crossed keys and sword represent St. Peter and St. Paul, who are the patron saints of Mitcham, the sprigs of lavender are a reminder of the lavender fields for which the area was once famous.
The mural crown is a symbol of civic government.


REIGATE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Checky Azure and Or on a Chief wavy Sable between two Crosses potent quadrate Gules fimbriated Argent a Mount thereon in front of an Oak Tree of the last the leaves charged with an Escutcheon chequy Azure and Or a Port with porcullis raised between two Towers also Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion Argent gorged with a Mural Crown and supporting with the paws a Cross crosslet fitchée Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Pilgrim with Staff and Scrip and habited in Traditional Costume proper the dexter having a Cloak Azure and the sinister a Cloak Vert both buckled Or.

Motto 'NEVER WONNE NE NEVER SHALL'.
Granted 26th September 1951.

reigate bc
reigate device
Former Reigate device

The castle gateway in front of an oak-tree from which hangs the chequered shield of the Warenne, Earls of Surrey was formerly used as a device by the Corporation. This device now forms a charge in the arms, while the Warenne chequers form the background of the shield. The black of the chief links the arms with those of the County Council, and also Guildford, the former county town. The the wavy line represents the outline of the Surrey hills and the crosses potent and quadrate are from the arms of the priory of Austin Canons founded at Reigate by William de Warenne in the thirteenth century.
The lion and the cross-crosslet are from the the heraldry of the Howard family, with particular reference to William, Lord Howard of Effingham, who obtained from the Crown a grant of Reigate Priory in 1541. The mural crown refers to civic government.
The supporters represent Reigate's historic importance as a town on the ancient Pilgrims' Way.
The motto is the distinctive one used by Reigate for generations. This was included in the Borough Council's first seal and comes from an old couplet, quoted by Camden, referring to the legendary defeat of the Danes in the Vale of Holmesdale; "The Vale of Holmsdall: Never Wonne ne never shall".


RICHMOND BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Per fess Gules and Azure on a Fess Ermine between in chief a Lion passant guardant between two Portcullises chained Or and in base a Swan Argent upon Water proper a representation of the Ancient Palace of Richmond proper between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper.
*CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules upon a Mount a Stag reguardant proper holding in its mouth two Roses on one Stem one Argent the other Gules barbed and seeded proper and supporting with the dexter fore-hoof an Escutcheon Or charged with a Wreath of Oak Vert.

Motto 'A DEO ET REGE' - From God and the King.
Granted 19th June 1891.

richmond bc (former) arms

The roses, portcullises, and lion allude to Richmond's royal associations. In particular to Henry VII, who rebuilt the palace, represented in the centre of the shield, and from whose Earldom of Richmond, in Yorkshire, the town (formerly Sheen) derived its name in 1500. The swan represents the River Thames.
The stag denotes the Old Deer Park and Richmond Park, and the Tudor roses are a further refernce to this period, while the idea of municipality is represented by the wreath on the shield.
The motto seeks to convey to the mind that "God made the country in its beauty, and the King (George III) gave to the town the Hill, etc".


STAINES URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Fesse barry wavy of four Argent and Azure between in Chief two Swans respectant proper and in base a representation of London Stone Or between two Seaxes blades upwards and outwards of the second hilted and pommelled a representation of the Staines Bridge Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon the Battlements of a Tower Or a Greyhound sejant Gules.

Motto 'AD PONTES PROSPICIMUS' - At the bridges we look forward.
Granted 4th June 1951.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

staines udc arms

The central feature consists of a representation of Staines Bridge, upon white and blue waves for the Thames. The two swans are also appropriate to the river, where they may be regarded as Royal birds, being the property of the Crown. The depiction of the London Stone refers to the local landmark, the original of which was erected in the reign of Edward I, to mark the most westerly point of the City of London's Jurisdiction over the Thames. Both the swans and the London Stone figured in the device formerly used by the Urban District Council. The Seaxes are from the arms of the Middlesex County Council, in whose area the district was originally situated.
The greyhound is from the heraldry of Mr H. Scott Freeman, Clerk of the Council 1901-46, who bore the cost of the grant.
Ad Pontes was the Roman name for Staines.


SUNBURY-ON-THAMES URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse Or and Argent on a Fesse Vert between in chief two Shepherd's Crooks in saltire and in base as many Bars wavy Azure a Mitre between two Saxon Crowns of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert in front of a Sun rising Or a Seax fessewise point to the dexter Azure hilted Gules.

Motto 'SOL ET PASTOR DEUS' - God is my sun and shepherd.
Granted 9th November 1948.

sunbury udc arms

The shepherd's crooks refer to the name Shepperton and the wavy bars to the Thames. The abbot's mitre alludes to the Abbot of Westminster, who held Shepperton and Sunbury.
The rising sun refers to the district's name and the seaxe is from the arms of the Middlesex County Council, in whose area the district was originally situated.
The motto, aptly recalls the place name derivations.


SURBITON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure issuant from the base an Elm Tree proper in front of a Sun rising Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Coulours upon a Bridge of one arch masoned a winged Lion couchant resting the dexter forepaw on a closed Book all Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Stag resting the interior hind leg on the Stock of a Tree erased and charred proper.

Motto 'CONSILIO ET ANIMIS' - By wisdom and courage.
Granted 17th July 1936.

surbiton bc arms

The elm tree alludes to Elmbridge Hundred in which the place lay and the rising sun refers to the elevation to borough status at the time of the grant.
The Lion of St. Mark was used as a device by the former Urban District Council and Improvement Commissioners and the bridge symbolizes the railway, to which Surbiton owes its development. It also with the elm tree is recalls the Hundred.
The stags are from the arms of Coutts, the bankers, benefactors of the town.


SUTTON AND CHEAM BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Azure on a Pale Argent between a Bezant and a Plate each charged with a Key wards upward and outward the dexter Azure and the sinister Gules four Crosses formy fitchy in pale Sable.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Popinjay proper gorged Gules holding in the dexter claw a Cross formy fitchy Sable.

Motto 'SERVE GOD AND BE CHEERFUL'.
Granted 16th October 1934.

(Colouring not accurate)
Used with permission, do not reproduce.

sutton and cheam bc arms

The black crosses on the sliver central section are from the arms of the See of Canterbury, which held Cheam from 1018 until what were by then the two manors of East Cheam and West Cheam were acquired by Henry VIII over five hundred years later, at the time he was building Nonsuch Palace nearby. The keys of St. Peter are from the arms of the Benedictine Abbey of Chertsey which owned Sutton at the time of the Domesday survey, and held it until 1583.
The popinjay or parrot is from the the arms of the Lumleys, anciently Lords of the Manor of Cheam. John, Lord Lumley, who, in 1579 became the owner of Nonsuch Palace, held both Cheam manors from then until his death in 1609. The popinjay holds in its claw another cross from Canterbury.
The motto is that of John Hackett, Bishop of Lichfield, who was Rector of Cheam, 1624-62.


WALTON AND WEYBRIDGE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Fesse wavy Azure between two Tudor Roses barbed and seeded proper and in base an Eagle displayed Gules two Barrulets wavy Argent surmonted by as many Palets of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Swan's Head erased proper gorged with a Saxon Crown Or and holding in the beak a Sprig of Oak leaved and fructed also proper.

Motto 'DUM DEFLUAT AMNIS' - Till the river ceases to flow.
Granted 29th March 1946.

walton and weybridge bc arms

The basic colours of gold and blue are from the arms of the County Council, which in turn derive from the gold and blue chequers of the Warrenne family, Earls of Surrey. They were also the colours of the Mortimer family, who inherited the manor of Walton Leigh, and from whom descended Edward IV, to whom in turn the manor devolved. The blue and white wave represents the River Thames. The two Tudor roses, refer to the two notable Tudor buildings in the district - Oatlands Palace, a residence of Henry VIII, and Ashley Park, built by Wolsey. They also indicate the joining of the manors of Walton, Walton Leigh and Ebso, or Apps Court, at the time of the union of the Houses of Lancaster and York under Henry VII. The eagle refers to the Roman associations of the district, notably the story of the attempted crossing of the river at Cowey Stakes, and the place on St. George's Hill, known as Caesar's Camp. It may also be taken to refer to the aeronautical reseach carried on at Brooklands, Weybridge. Across the wave are two "pallets" representing two ancient bridges - that over the Mole, formerly the meeting place of the Hundred Moot of Elmbridge, and that over the Wey carrying the road from London to Chertsey Abbey. In later times there have also been two Walton Bridges - the wooden one built about 1750, and the brick and stone one which replaced it.
The swan's neck alludes to the River Thames, the swan was also a well-known badge of the de Bohun family, who held the manor of Walton until 1373. The Saxon crown and sprig of oak both appear in the arms of Surrey, and record the situation of the Urban District in that county. The sprig of oak is also an emblem of the Howard family, who became Earls of Surrey in 1483. The presence of the sprig of oak in the arms may also be taken to refer to three specific members of the Howard family - Lord Howard of Effingham, Chief Ranger of the Forest in Queen Elizabeth's time; Catherin Howard, who married Henry VIII at Oatlands Palace, and the Duke of Norfolk who lived in a house at the confluence of the Wey and Thames in the time of Charles II.
The motto is from Horace (Epistulae, 1, 2, 32) and apart from its reference to the town's riverside situation, it is also an expression of its determination to progress in the future.


WIMBLEDON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a double-headed Eagle displayed Sable armed and legged Gules on the dexter wing a Rose and on the sinister a Fret Or a Bordure compony Gold and Azure.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown a Garb supported on either side by a Cornish Chough all proper

Motto 'SINE LABE DECUS' - Honour without stain.
Granted 15th October 1906.

wimbledon bc arms

The double-headed eagle is the reputed symbol of Julius Caesar, whose association, more or less mythical, with Wimbledon is indicated by 'Caesar's Camp' and 'Caesar's Well'. The golden rose and the golden fret on the wings of the eagle, typify the connection of the Sovereigns of England and the Spencer family respectively with Wimbledon, the Manor having been in the ownership of the Crown for many years during the 16th and 17th centuries, and afterwards passing to the Spencers, whose arms feature a fret. The gold and blue border is taken from the arms of the De Warrenne family, who for long bore the title of Earls of Surrey, and is intended to mark the connection of County and Borough.
The mural crown, refers to civic government and sheaf of corn is the prominent object in the crest of the Cecil family, once Lords of the Manor of Wimbledon and owners of Wimbledon House, and now represented by the Marquis of Exeter. The memory of Lord Burghley or Burleigh, the great Minister of State in the days of Elizabeth I, and a member of the Cecil family, is preserved locally in Burghley Road. The choughs are taken from the arms of Thomas Cromwell, Earl of Essex, to whom the Manor of Wimbledon was given by Henry VIII.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page