ASHBY DE LA ZOUCH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Mount in base an Ash tree proper within a Bordure Gules charged with five Bezants on a Chief Sable a pierced Cinquefoil Ermine between two Garbs Or.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Fleur de lys set upon a Rim Gules a demi lion Or supporting a staff proper flying therefrom a Banner paly of six Gold and Azure a Quarter Ermine. Mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Motto 'DEEDS NOT WORDS'.
Granted 9th February 1956.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

ashby de la zouch rdc arms

The ash tree, within a border carrying five of the ten gold roundels on red of the arms of the Zouche family, symbolises the name. The hill on which the tree stands refers to the uplands of the district, especially Bardon Hill, the highest point in Leicestershire. The black chief, with the ermine cinquefoil, from the arms of the County Council, represents the Leicestershire coalfield. The wheatsheaves allude to the agriculture which, with the mining, constitutes the principal industries of the district.
The red and white of the wreath and mantling are the County liveries. The red fleurs de lys of which the crown is composed come from the arms of George Stephenson, who lived at Ravenstone and built the Leicester and Swannington, one of the earliest railways. The gold lion is that of the Beaumont family of Coleorton and Grace Dieu, and the banner shows the arms of the Shirleys, Earls Ferrers, of Staunton Harold.
The motto is a reflection of the Council's progressive attitude, and has a local significance in that it comes from one of the works of the late Elizabethan dramatists, Beaumont and Fletcher, Francis Beaumont being one of the Coleorton family.


ASHBY DE LA ZOUCH URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable on a Mount in base a Castle triple towered Argent on a chief of the last a pale Gules between two Maunches Sable on the Pale a demi Lion issuant also Argent.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or charged with three Fleurs-de-Lys Gules a Bull's Head Sable armed also Or gorged with a Collar also Sable edged Gold and charged with three Bezants; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Motto 'SANS DIEU RIEN' - Without God, nothing.
Granted 9th November 1960.

ashby de la zouch udc arms

The castle and mount refer to the ancient and historic castle at Ashby. Originally a Norman Manor House, it was converted into a self-contained fortress in the 15th Century by Lord William Hastings. After the Civil War the castle was partly destroyed and largely forgotten. The black maunches or sleeves and the lion are from the arms of the Hastings and Abney families respectively, the family of Abney-Hastings, being so long and closely associated with the town.
The mural crown refers to corporate government, and the fleurs-de-lys are from the arms of Ashby's twin town of Pithivier. They also refer to the sojourn in Ashby Castle of Mary, Queen of Scotts, as the form part of the Scottish arms. The bull's head is derived from the supporter of the County's arms and the bezants are from the arms of Lord Zouch.


BLABY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL
See Blaby District Council.

CASTLE DONINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Base barry wavy of four Azure and Argent a Granite Rock proper thereon a Castle of three Towers Silver that in the centre charged with a Maunch Sable in chief two Mitres Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set alternately upon a Rim Or a demi Lion guardant winged Or charged on the shoulder with a Cinquefoil pierced Ermine and holding in the paws a Wagon-Wheel proper; Mantled gules, doubled argent.

Motto 'VIRES CONTEXAMUS ARTI' - .
Granted 20th November 1962.

castle donington rdc arms

No further information currently available.


COALVILLE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or two Pallets between six Lozenges Sable on a Chief Azure a Maunch between two Garbs of the Field.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of six Lozenges Gules set upon a Rim Or an Oak Tree rooted upon a Rock proper; Mantled Sable doubled Or.

Motto 'EX TERRA OPES' - From the earth, wealth.
Granted 23rd March 1956.

coalville udc arms

The six black diamonds allude to coal mining and to the six wards which comprise the district, with two black lines indicative of railway lines. The railway, being one of the earliest in the country, was constructed by Robert Stephenson, son of George Stephenson of railway fame, to convey coal from the pit head to the marketing terminal at Leicester. The blue of the chief is taken from the arms of Beaumont, the maunch or sleeve from the arms of Hastings and the sheaves from the arms of Comyn. These three families have played an important part in the history of the district.
The oak tree represents Charnwood Forest, upon a rock, allusive to the volcanic rocks in the area. The Coronet composed of six Lozenges (only four visible) is red to enhance the colour effect of the arms, and is allusive to the blood shed in the winning of the coal.
The motto refers to the coalmining, quarrying and agricultural activities in the Urban District.


HINCKLEY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale dancettée Argent and Gules on a Chief Erminois a Maunch of the second between two Flames of Fire proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of five Ostrich Feathers Argent a Ram's Head erased Sable and armed Or.

Motto 'ANGLIAE COR' - The heart of England.
Granted 16th August 1946.

hinckley udc arms

The basis of the shield is formed by the arms of the Honour of Hinckley, as borne by Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester (Per pale dancetty Argent and Gules) and were formerly used by the Council before arms were officially granted. The lady's sleeve is the emblem of the Hastings family, who held the Manors of Barwell and Burbage in Norman times and the flame stands for the Flamvilles, who succeeded the Hastings family in the Manor of Burbage.
The ostrich feathers are from the crest of the Grantmesnils, who held the Manor of Earl Shilton. The ram's head signifies the woollen industry on which Hinckley's hosiery manufactures were founded.


LOUGHBOROUGH BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Bend Sable between a Maunch in chief and a Bull's Head erased in base of the last a Fret between two Escallop of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colurs a Lion rampant Or holding in the dexter fore-paw a Maunch and resting the dexter hind paw on a Fret Sable.

Motto 'IN VERITATE VICTORIA' - Victory is in truth.
Granted 10th April 1889.

loughborough bc arms

The arms are based upon those of the Hastings family, who have been more closely and historically connected with the town than any other; two members of the family having taken the title of Baron from the town of Loughborough. The lady's sleeve and bull's head are derived from the arms of the Hastings family, the fret and escallops on the bend for Le De Spencer.
The Lion is from the arms of the Beaumonts, with charges for Le De Spencer and Hastings in black and gold. The Beaumonts and Le De Spencers, were formerly great landowners and Lords of the Manor of Loughborough.
The motto was that of the former Barons of Loughborough.


LUTTERWORTH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Chevron Sable between in chief two Bulls' Heads caboshed Gules and in base a Torteau charged with a pierced Cinquefoil Ermine an open Book proper edged bound and clasped Gold between two Lozenges of the first voided also Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Leicester Ram proper supporting a Torch Sable enflamed also proper and winged Or.

Motto 'LUTTER A MA PUISANCE' - To strive with all my might.
Granted 12th April 1955.

The gold field refers to the richness of the agricultural area and the black chevron is from the arms of John Wycliffe (1330-1384), Rector of Lutterworth and first to translate the bible from Latin into English. His bible is depicted between two mascles from the arms of the Ferrers and Feilding families, the Ferrers were Lords of Lutterworth in the 14th and 15th centuries. Sir William Ferrers in 1414 obtained the King's permission to hold a market in the town, and erected a fine church spire, that was destroyed in a great storm in 1703. The Fieldings were wealthy landowners in and around Lutterworth from the 15th century. Sir William Fielding de Hapsburgh was created Earl of Denbigh in 1622, The link with the Fieldings lives on through the Denbigh Arms, which was one of Lutterworth's Georgian coaching inns. The bulls' heads refer to cattle raising and the pierced cinquefoil is from the arms of the County Council, placed in the base of the shield to suggest the southerly geographical location of the district within the County. The gold field and black chevron also give the livery colours of Ranulf de Guader, who held the Manor after the Conquest.
The ram links to the supporter of the County arms and refers to the old cloth industry. The torch refers to engineering, which with the gold wings has special reference to the development of the revolutionary jet engine, by Sir Frank Whittle, at the Ladywood Works on Leicester Road.
The French motto includes the first part of the Council's name.


MARKET BOSWORTH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse dancetty of two points Vert and Sable a fesse dancetty of two pieces Argent on a Chief Or three Torteaux that in the centre charged with a pierced Cinquefoil Ermine the two others each charged with a Mascle Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Or a demi Boar Argent pierced in the breast with a Sword fessewise also Argent hilt and pommel Azure.

Motto 'POST PROELIA CONCORDIA' - After the battle concord.
Granted 25th November 1954.

market bosworth rdc arms

The basic colours of white, green and black signify agriculture, granite quarrying and coal mining. The gold chief comes from the arms of the Dixie family of Market Bosworth and is charged with emblems from the arms of other locally prominent families. The three red roundels for de Grey, the gold voided diamonds for Ferrers and the ermine cinquefoil for Robert de Beaumont, Earl of Leicester also links the arms to the County. The "dancetty" fess suggests the initial letter M and represents two gables of the first pair of "Peoples' Houses" officially opened by Harold MacMillan, Minister of Housing and Local Government at the time.
The white boar was the favourite emblem of Richard III and refers to his connections with the district as well as the actual Battle of Bosworth in 1485. His death is suggested by the sword, which is the the Lancastrian colours of blue and white. The gold mural crown derives from the arms of the Woolaston family and also refers to civic government and the enclosure of Bosworth Field.
The motto refers to the nearly 200 years of freedom from civil war the ensued after the Battle of Bosworth Field.


MARKET HARBOROUGH RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or issuant from a base barry wavy of four Argent and Vert a grassy Mount thereon a representation of the Gartre Bush formerly in the Hundred of Gartre proper on a Chief also Vert a pierced Cinquefoil Ermine between two Leicester Rams' Heads caboshed also proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours A Sea Horse Argent ducally gorged and resting the dexter leg on an Escutcheon Or charged with a Fox's Mask proper; Mantled Vert doubled Or.

Motto 'READY ALL APPEAR'.
Granted 23rd December 1958.

market harborough rdc arms

The gold background represents the richness of the agricultural areas and the wavy base represents the River Welland. The mound and bush recall the Gatre Bush, under which in ancient times members of the Court of Moot of Gatre Hundred met. Gatre Bush was near to the line of the old Roman Road from Leicester to Colchester, that came to be known as the Gatre Road. The ermine cinquefoil recalls that in the arms of the County Council and the ram's heads refer to agriculture, hosiery and the cloth trade.
The seahorse is from the heraldry of the Brodenell family of Harborough. In the church at Stonton Wyville, of which, with Cranoe and Glooston, the Brodenells were Lords of the Manor, stands the tomb-chest decorated with seahorses of Edmund Brodenell, who died in 1590. The foxes mask links with the crest of the County Council and recalls fox hunting.


MARKET HARBOROUGH URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Chevron Gules between three Torteaux those in chief each charged with a pierced Cinquefoil Ermine and that in base with a Rose Argent barbed and seeded proper a Cross flory between two Leopards' Faces Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Ram Argent armed and unguled Or gorged with a Riband pendent therefrom by a string of the last a Bugle-Horn Gules and holding between the fore legs an Escutcheon Azure charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Gold.

Motto 'NEC TEMERE NEC TIMIDE' - Neither rashly nor timidly.
Granted 27th May 1953.

market harborough udc arms

The three red roundels on white are derived form the arms of the Earldom of Harborough, which became extinct in 1859, and were used by the Council before arms were granted. The ciquefoil relates to the arms of the County Council and the white roses represents Northamptonshire, where Little Bowden was once situated.
The ram refers to agriculture, hosiery and the cloth trade and the bugle-horn to fox hunting.


OADBY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Bend cotised flory counter-flory Or a Lion's Gamb erased bendwise of the field between two Torteaux that in the chief charged with two Keys in saltire wards upwards and outwards Argent and that in base with a pierced Cinquefoil Ermine.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or a Mount Vert thereon a Lamb passant gorged with a Collar of Steel and resting the dexter forehoof upon a Pelt all proper.

Motto 'I PEDE FAUSTO' -.
Granted 6th December 1960.

oadby udc arms

The lion's leg refers to the Oadby Brabazon and Powys-Keck families. The cinquefoil is from the arms of the County Council and the keys presumably refer to the dedication of the parish church to St. Peter.
The mural crown is a symbol of civic government. The lamb and pelt refer to the woollen, hosiery and footwear industries.


WIGSTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert between two Piles issuant from the base Argent a Plate fimbriated Or charged with a Tudor Rose barbed seeded stalked and leaved proper in chief the Driving Wheel of a Railway Engine Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Tiger passant guardant holding in the dexter paw a Shuttle proper.

Motto 'FINIS CORONAT OPUS' - The end crowns the work.
Granted 25th November 1953

wigston udc arms

The two white triangles (piles) refer to a unique feature of the district in that it has two parish churches in the Parish of Wigston Magna. The driving wheel refers to the connection with the railway industry, which was a major factor in the birth and growth of South Wigston.
The tiger represents the association the Royal Leicestershire Regiment, "The Tigers", had with the district. The depot of the Regiment was, formerly situated at South Wigston. The shuttle refers to the hosiery industry, which has existed here since the seventeenth century.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page