ARMS: Quarterly per fesse indented Argent and Gules in the first quarter a Torteau charged with a Cinquefoil Ermine in the second quarter a Lion rampant double queued also Argent in the third quarter an Ostrich Feather Ermine in the fourth quarter a Maunch Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Fox courant over Stubble proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Bull Sable ducally gorged Or and on the sinister side a Leicestershire Ram proper.

Granted 25th January 1930.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

leicestershire cc arms

The arms incorporate elements from the heraldry of four important County families, three of whom became Earls of Leicester.
The ermine cinquefoil is that of the Beaumont family, in 1103 Robert de Beaumont was made the first Earl of Leicester. The Earldom eventually passed through the sister of the fourth Earl (FitzParnel) to her husband Simon de Montfort (1206-1264), from whose arms the white doubled tailed lion on red is taken. Simon also held the Honour of Hinckley, to which appertained arms consisting of a shield parted palewise indented silver and red, from which is derived the fessewise indentation in these arms. The ermine plume is the badge of John of Gaunt (another Earl of Leicester) and the black sleeve is the badge of the Hastings family, who built castles at Kirby Muxloe and Ashby-de-la-Zouch.
The running fox refers to fox hunting, which first originated in an organised form in Leicestershire in the 1690's.
The bull and ram symbolise the County's original major industries, grazing and wool. The bull's coronet represents the link with the Duchy of Lancaster, several Earls of Leicester were also Dukes of Lancaster.
The motto again refers to fox hunting, it is placed between a hazel leaf and a red martlet, which refer to Lord Hazlerigg, Lord-Lieutenant of Leicestershire from 1925 to 1949 and Lieutenant Colnel Sir Robert Martin, Chairman of the County Council from 1924 to 1960.


ARMS: Per fesse indented Vert and Sable a Saltire Or charged with a Saltire Purpure on a Chief Ermine a Maunche of the second between two Legs embowed each hosed and shod with a Soft Leather Shoe of the fifteenth century couped also Purpure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours, set upon a representation of the Entrance to the Railway Tunnel at Glenfield in the District of Blaby proper a Saltire perched thereon an Eagle displayed wings extended fessewise Or.

Motto 'IN TERRA DIVITIAE'-In the earth, riches.
Granted 20th December 1954 to the Blaby RDC, transferred by Order of the Privy Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

blaby dc arms

The green and black divisions of the field represent the green fields of agriculture and the black rich earth. The black points may be taken to represent the stone quarrying industry and the granite outcropping at several points in the District. They can also allude to the original ridge and furrow treatment of the land for natural drainage. The gold saltire is from the arms attributed to the ancient Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Mercia, and refers to the many remains found in the District from that era. The purple saltire represents the two great Roman roads, Fosse Way running from the South West to the North East and Watling Street, running from the South East to the North West, which cross the District at High Cross. Purple is the colour of Imperial Rome. The ermine chief is from the arms of Ralph, Lord Bassett (1368-1390), one of the founder Knights of the Garter, who had a castle at Sapcote. The black maunche or sleeve is from the heraldry of the Hastings family. William, Lord Hastings (1430-1485) built Kirby Muxloe Castle, which is now an ancient monument. The shoed legs refer to the two main industries of the area, hosiery and knitwear, and boot and shoe manufacture.
The tower represents the tunnel and ventilating tower at Glenfield, built in 1832 by Robert Stephenson for the Leicester-Swannington Railway. The golden eagle, from the head of a centurion's standard upon the purple cross is a further reference to High Cross, where the Roman Station of Venonae formerly stood.


ARMS: Per pale indented Argent and Gules on a Chief Or three Torteaux that in the centre charged with a Pierced Cinquefoil Ermine the others each charged with a Mascle Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Dragon Gules preying on a Boar passant Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Ram reguardant Sable armed Or.

Motto 'POST PROELIA CONCORDIA'-After the battle, concord.
Granted 15th November 1974.

The Borough of Hinckley and Bosworth was formed by the amalgamation of the Hinckley Urban District and the Market Bosworth Rural District, except for the Parish of Ibstock.

hinkley and bosworth bc arms

The zigzag division of the shield into silver and red, as in the arms of the Hinckley UDC, represents the banner of Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, thought to have been borne by later Earls of Leicester in connection with their Honour of Hinckley. The gold chief comes from the arms of the Dixie family of Market Bosworth. The red roundels are from the arms of the de Grey family, the gold mascles from those of the Ferrers and the ermine cinquefoil from those of Robert de Beaumont, Earl of Leicester. All these families were prominent in the neighbourhood.
The crest refers to the Battle of Bosworth Field, symbolising the defeat of the white boar (Richard III) by the red dragon (Henry VII). The white boar featured in the crest of the Market Bosworth RDC.
The black rams, suggested by the crest of the Hinckley UDC, commemorate the woollen industry upon which Hinckley's staple trade of hosiery manufacture was originally founded. The sheep's skin can also be taken as a reference to the important local industry of boot and shoe manufacture. The motto is that previously used by the Market Bosworth RDC.


*ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Vert in the first and fourth quarters a Tower and in the second and third quarters a Garb Or over all a Lion rampant Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules a Lion rampant quarterly Argent and Gules holding in the dexter claw a Latin Cross Or and in the sinister claw a Roll of Parchment proper.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Bull Sable armed Or and gorged with a Collar dancetty of two points upward Argent and on the sinister side a Horse Argent gorged with a like Collar Gules each resting the interior hoof on a Tower Or, the whole upon a grassy Compartment divided per pale by furrows.

Granted 17th December 1986.

The Borough of Melton was formed by the amalgamation of the Melton Mowbray Urban District and the Melton and Belvoir Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

melton bc arms

The white lion is from the arms of the Mowbray family, Lords of Melton for over 300 years, whose arms (a white lion rampant on a red field) was used without authority by the former Melton Mowbray UDC. The towers on red allude to the district's borough status and the ancient castles of Belvoir, Melton Mowbray and Thorpe Arnold. The wheat sheaves on green refer to agriculture.
The lion in the crest bears the Mowbray colours of white and red. The gold cross symbolises the district's ecclesiastical heritage - fine parish churches of Melton and Bottesford and the medieval importance of Croxton Abbey, Belvoir Priory and Burton Lazars Leper Hospital. The scroll refers to the indentures associated with Melton Town Estate and to the Borough Charter.
The black bull is similar to that of the Leicestershire County Council and alludes to Melton Cattle Market. The white horse refers to field sports and farming. Their collars form the letter M, and the compartment conveys the Borough's town and country aspects.


ARMS: Per chevron Argent and Sable in chief two Ash Trees couped and in base on a Granite Rock issuant proper a Castle of three towers Argent on a Chief Vert between two Garbs a Mitre affrontée Or charged with two Crosses formy Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent Sable and Vert, within a Circlet of six Lozenges conjoined Sable Flames proper issuant therefrom a demi-Lion Or gorged with a Collar Gules bezanty and holding a Hexagon Argent charged with a Maunch Sable.

Motto 'EX TERRA OPES'-From the earth wealth.
Granted 30th October 1974.

The North West Leicestershire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Ashby de la Zouch Urban District, the Ashby Wolds Urban District, the Coalville Urban District, the Ashby de la Zouch Rural District, the Castle Donnington Rural District and the Parish of Ibstock from the Market Bosworth Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

north west leicestershire dc arms

The green, white and black background suggests agriculture and coal mining. The two sheaves, like those in the arms of Coalville UDC and Ashby de la Zouch RDC, emphasise further the agriculture of the rural areas. The gold mitre with two red crosses is from the arms of Archbishop Laud, an historical reference to Ibstock with which he was associated. The two ash trees refer to the Ashby districts. The white castle was common to the arms of Ashby de la Zouch UDC and Castle Donington RDC, the rock upon which it stands suggests Charnwood ("rock forest").
The black diamonds, like those in the crest of Coalville UDC, refer to coal mining and the flames to the fire-clay working and brick-making industries. The gold lion, also from the Coalville crest, is that of the Beaumont family and its collar is formed by the gold roundels on red of the Lords Zouch, seen in the arms of Ashby de la Zouch RDC. The black maunch or sleeve, common to the arms of Coalville UDC, Ashby de la Zouch RDC and Castle Donnington RDC, is from the heraldry of the Hastings family. The hexagon suggests the union of six authorities. The motto is that used by the Coalville UDC.


ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Vert on a Bend Or between in the second and third quarters two Bars gemelles Or surmounted of a Pile reversed Argent a Lion's Gamb erased Gules between two pierced Cinquefoils Ermine
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules an Owl affronty supporting with the wings a Brown Pelt charged with a Shuttle erect all proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lamb guardant Argent and on the sinister side a Tiger guardant the tail reflexed upward along the exterior thigh proper.


The Borough of Oadby and Wigston was formed by the amalgamation of the Oadby Urban District and the Wigston Urban District.

oadby and wigston bc arms
regiment badge
Royal Leicestershire Regiment Cap Badge

The lion's leg, like that in the arms of the Oadby UDC, represents the Oadby Brabazon and Powys-Keck families. The two cinquefoils are taken from the arms of the Leicestershire County Council. The narrow gold bars symbolise the former railway industry at Wigston and the two white triangles, like those in the arms of the Wigston UDC, recall the town's former name of 'Wigston Two Steeples'.
The owl, the bird of wisdom emphasises the motto. The pelt, as in the crest of the Oadby UDC, refers to the footwear industry and the shuttle, from the crest of the Wigston UDC, represents the hosiery industry.
The lamb suggested by the Oadby crest refers again to woollen and hosiery manufacture, and the tiger from the Wigston crest recalls that town's association with the Royal Leicestershire Regiment.

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page