LONDON COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Azure and Argent on a Chief of the last the Cross of St. George charged with a Leopard of England. The Shield is ensigned with a Mural Crown Or.
BADGE: An Oval Azure charged with two Bars wavy Argent on a Chief of the last a Cross throughout Gules the whole encompassed by a Rope Or.

Arms granted by Royal Warrant 29th July 1914. Badge granted 12th March 1956.

london cc arms
london cc badge
Badge

The blue and silver wavy bars represent the River Thames, and serve as a reminder that London is a great port. The cross of St George, besides being a national emblem, links the arms with those of the City of London. The royal lion is appropriate to the County which embraces the capital of England.
The mural crown indicates the municpal status of the London County Council, and is coloured gold to typify the pre-emience of the Capital City.


BATTERSEA METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale indented Argent and Azure a Bordure barry wavy also Argent and Azure thereon sixteen Mullets Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Rim Or and between eight Slips of Lavender a Dove holding in the beak an Olive Branch proper.

Motto 'NON MIHI NON TIBI SED NOBIS' - Not for me, not for thee, but for us.
Granted 30th September 1955.

battersea mbc arms

The design is based on previous unauthorised arms. The white and blue waves refer to Battersea's position on the Thames and recall the time when it was practically an island (Beaduric's Island). The mullets are from the heraldry of the St. John family, who had a mansion on the bank of the river. Their number of sixteen refers to the number of wards in the Borough.
The dove and the olive branch, associated with the biblical story of the flood, may also have been selected with a view to the Borough's insular origin. The sprigs of lavender are symbolic of the lavender fields, which gave their name to the principal thoroughfare.


BERMONDSEY METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Azure and Gules in chief a Lion passant guardant supporting with the dexter paw a Crosier erect between two Roman B's in the third quarter a Battle Axe erect blade to the sinister enfiled by by a Ducal Coronet and in the fourth quarter an anicient ship of three masts sails set and flags flying to the dexter all Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lion passant guardant Gules charged on the shoulder with a Roman B supporting with the dexter paw a Crosier erect both Or.

Motto 'PROSUNT GENTIBUS ARTES' - Arts profit the people.
Granted 25th March 1901.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

bermondsey mbc arms

The Borough was formed by the amalgamation of the Parishes of Bermondsey, Rotherhithe, St. Olave, St. John Horselydown and St. Thomas Southwark, of which the first three are represented in the Arms. The lion and crosier represent Bermondsey and its vanished Abbey, which was endowed with the Manor of Bermondsey by William Rufus. The ship refers to Rotherhithe, whose chief industry in former times was shipbuilding. The axe and crown are emblems of King (later Saint) Olaf or Olave, and were previously used as a device by the St. Olave District Board of Works. There is a church dedicated to him in Tooley Street, a corruption of St. Olaf's Street.


CAMBERWELL METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Argent a Cross quarterly between a Well in the first and fourth quarters a Chevron couped between three Cinquefoils in the second and a Lion rampant in the third all counter changed.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Crosier erect Gules a Hind lodged Argent gutté-de-sang pierced through the neck with an Arrow fessewise Sable.

Motto 'ALL'S WELL'.
Granted 7th May 1901.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

camberwell mbc arms

The various elements of the arms represent the three constituent parts of the Borough. The wells are a 'canting' allusion to the name Camberwell, they also represent some of the many wells in the area, of which one was said to have healing properties, and was therefore associated with St. Giles, the patron saint of cripples. The lion represents the Liberty of Peckham, it derives from the badge of Robert Earl of Gloucester, an illegitimate son of Henry I, who was Lord of the Manor of Peckham. The chevron and cinquefoils refer to the Hamlet of Dulwich, and are taken from the arms of Edward Alleyn, Lord of the Manor 1605-26 and founder of the College bearing his name.
The wounded hart and crosier, are emblems of St. Giles, to whom the Parish Church of Camberwell is dedicated. He is probably associated with Camberwell because of the well with healing powers, the name Camberwell is said to be derived from the 'well of the crooked or cripples' (camber being derived from an old word meaning crooked).
The Borough was also granted a badge and standard (a rare distinction having been granted to only seven other civic authorities) in 1927.


CHELSEA METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules within a Cross voided Or a Crozier in pale of the last in the first quarter a winged Bull statant in the second a Lion rampant reguardant both Argent in the third a Sword point downwards proper pomel and hilt Gold between two Boars' Heads couped at the neck of the third and in the fourth a Stag's Head caboshed of the second.

Motto 'NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA' - Unless God be with us all will be in vain.
Granted 28th February 1903.

chelsea mbc arms

The crozier alludes to the Abbott of Westminster, Lord of the Manor of Chelsea in the reign of Edward the Confessor. The winged bull is the emblem of St.Luke, patron saint of the parish. The lion represents Lord Cadogan, Lord of the Manor, whose ancestors derived it by marriage with a daughter of Sir Hans Sloane, from whose arms the sword and boars' heads are taken. Another daughter of Sir Hans married a member of the Stanley family, whence the stag's head.
The motto is a contraction of Psalm CXXVII.I.


FINSBURY METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Cross Argent a Fountain between in pale two Torteaux each charged with a Crescent of the second and in fesse as many Annulets of the first on a Chief embattled Or a Port between two Towers of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a dexter Cubit Arm erased proper holding an Escutcheon Argent charged with a Cross Gules between four Scimitars fessewise also proper Pommels and Hilts to the dexter Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a winged Bull Argent gorged with a Collar flory counter flory Azure and on the sinister side a Dolphin Vert charged with a Plate thereon a Well proper.

Motto 'ALTIORA PETIMUS' - We seek higher things.
Granted 7th May 1931.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

finsbury mbc arms

The White Cross on the lower part of the shield is the Cross of St John, the Headquarters of which Order are situated at St John's Gate in the Borough. The heraldic fountain, may be regarded as a reference to London, as symbolized by the River Thames. The four Red Circles and the Crescents, are from the arms of Thomas Sutton, the founder of the Charterhouse. The embattled chief refers to the City Wall, which forms the southern boundary of the Borough. The two Towers and Gateway suggest the old gates opening from the City of London into the Borough, Aldersgate (for the ancient Liberty of Glasshouse Yard), Cripplegate, and Moorgate.
The Escutcheon held aloft in the Crest contains charges from the arms used in the past for St Sepulchre.
The Winged Bull is the heraldic symbol of St Luke, and the Dolphin that of St James, the badge bearing the design of the Well having special reference to the Clerks' Well (Clerkenwell).


FULHAM METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of ten Argent and Azure on a Saltire Gules two Swords in saltire points upwards of the first enfiled by a Mitre Or.
CREST: Upon a Mural Crown of seven Turrets Or an Ancient Rowing Ship in full sail Sable the Flags per fesse Argent and Azure charged on the Sail Argent with a Rose Gules surmounted by a Rose Argent barbed Vert and seeded proper.

Motto 'PRO CIVIBUS ET CIVITATE' - For the citizens and the city.
Granted 12th October 1927.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

fulham mbc arms

The wavy blue lines on the white ground of the shield are emblematical of the River Thames, which forms the most important geographical feature of the district, and bounds the borough for a little more than half its area. The crossed swords through a golden mitre on a red saltire are taken from the arms of the See of London, whose Bishops represented by the mitre have held the Manor of Fulham since the end of the seventh century.
The ancient black ship with a white sail bearing a red and a white rose at the centre, refers to the visit of the Danes to Fulham in the year 879. It accentuates the ecclesiastical character of Fulham whose Manor, which included also the parish of Hammersmith, belonged to the Bishops.


GREENWICH METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Pale Azure between six Mullets of six points three on either side an Estoile radiated in chief and an Hour Glass in base all counter-charged.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of an ancient Ship of one mast sail furled flags flying Sable two Anchors in saltire Or.

Motto 'TEMPORE UTIMUR' - We make use of time.
Granted 15th July 1903.

greenwich mbc arms

The emblems relate to the Royal Observatory, built in 1675 for the advancement of navigation and nautical astronomy.
The ship and anchors recall the ship building industry, with which Greenwich and St. Nicholas Deptford were so closely associated in former times. They also refer to the Borough's close association with the Royal Navy since its old royal palace was in 1705 converted into a hospital for seamen - which later became the Royal Naval College.


HACKNEY METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Pre fesse the chief per pale gules and per fesse Sable and Argent and the base barry wavy of six Argent and Azure in the dexter chief a representation of the Hackney Tower proper and in the sinister chief a Maltese Cross per fesse Argent and Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a representation of the Hackney Tower Or.

Motto 'JUSTITIA TURRIS NOSTRA' - Justice is our tower.
Granted 31st May 1924.

hackney mbc arms

The Tower is that of St Augustine's Church and is the only part of the thirteenth century fabric that remains. This was used on the Corporation seal before arms were obtained. The Maltese Cross stands for the Knights of the Temple and the Knights of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, who successively held the Manor of Hackney. The Templars' cross was red on white, that of the Hospitallers white on black, and these colours are combined in the arms. The wavy white and blue bars represent the rivers and canals in and bounding the Borough. In years past the River Lea at Hackney was a much wider river than at present, as it overflowed the marshes and lowlands which are now within the Borough.


HAMMERSMITH METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Azure and Gules on a Chevron Or between two cross Crosslets in chief and an Escallop in base Argent three Horseshoes of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon the Battlements of a Tower two Hammers in saltire all proper.

Motto 'SPECTEMUR AGENDO' - Let us be judged by our actions.
Granted 23rd December 1897.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

hammersmith mbc arms

The emblems on the shield are from the arms of benefactors of the Borough. The cross crosslets represent Edward Latymer, who died in 1626 leaving a bequest for the benefit of the poor and for the education of eight poor boys, and is commemorated by the schools bearing his name. The three horseshoes on the golden chevron are taken from the five on the arms of Sir Nicholas Crisp (1598-1665), a prominent Royalist who was the inventor of "the new way" of making bricks, which he introduced into Hammersmith. He contributed bricks and funds towards the building of the first chapel of ease which later became the parish church. The scallop shell denotes George Pring, a surgeon of Hammersmith, who projected the old Suspension Bridge, but he died in 1824 before it was finished.
The hammers, are of course a punning allusion to the name.


HAMPSTEAD METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Cross Argent between four Fleurs-de-Lys a Mitre Gules a Chief indented Or fretty of the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Stag's Head Argent attired Or gorged with a Wreath of Holly fructed proper pendant therefrom an Escutcheon Gules charged with a Fleur-de-Lys also Argent.

Motto 'NON SIBI SED TOTI' - Not for self but for all.
Granted 30th January 1931.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

hampstead mbc arms

These are similar to a device previously used by the Hampstead Vestry without authority and adopted by the Council in 1900. The mitre stands for the Abbey of Westminster, to which the Manor of Hampstead was granted by King Ethelred in 986, and remained in its possesion until 1539. The fleurs-de-lys and stag's head are from the arms of the Hickes family, one of whom, Viscount Camden, purchased the Manor. On his death in 1629 it passed to the Noel family from whose arms are taken the fretty chief. The Manor was sold to Sir William Langthorne in 1707, who is represented by the white cross and red fleurs-de-lys from his arms.
The holly is from the seal of the old Hampstead Vestry, in allusion to the holly which has grown so luxuriantly in the district from time immemorial.


HOLBORN METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Cross Gules charged in the centre point with a Hind pierced by an Arrow Or and on a Chief Sable three Escallops of the field.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown proper a demi Figure representing St. Andrew the Apostle vested Azure holding in the dexter hand an open Boook also proper and supporting on his sinister arm a Saltire Azure.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter a Lion and in the sinister a Gryphon both Or each gorged with a Collar Gules suspended therefrom an Escutcheon barry wavy of ten Argent and Azure.

Motto 'MULTI PERTRANSIBUNT ET AUGEBITUR SCIENTIA' - Many shall pass through and learning shall be increased.
Granted 23rd May 1906.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

holborn mbc arms

The red St. George's cross stands for the parishes of St. George-the-Martyr, Holborn and St. George, Bloomsbury, and the wounded hind for St. Giles-in-the-Fields, in allusion to the legend that St. Giles received the injury which crippled him while saving a hind from the huntsmen. The scallop shells are from the arms of the Russells, Dukes of Bedford, whose connection with the Borough is also commemorated in the names of streets and squares.
The figure of St Andrew represents the oldest original parish in the Borough, the church of which is within the City boundaries, below Holborn Viaduct.
The supporters denote the two inns of court in the Borough, the lion being that of the De Lacys, Earls of Lincoln, whose London house became Lincoln's Inn, and the griffin being from the arms of Gray's Inn. The blue and white shields worn by the supporters allude to the "Old Bourne" from which the Borough derived its name.
The motto refers to the students of the two Inns of Court, with its promise of increasing learning.


ISLINGTON METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse Gules and Argent a Cross countercharged between a Cross potent Or in the first quarter a Lion rampant Argent in the second an Eagle displayed in the third and a Water-Bouget in the fourth both Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Water-Bouget Sable a long Bow stringed fessewise and Arrow erect proper.

Motto 'DEUS PER OMNIA' - God pervades all things.
Granted 2nd May 1901.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

islington mbc arms

In the first quarter is shown the crutched cross from the arms of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, a religious order instituted in the beginning of the twelfth century, who owned the greater part of Islington. The lion in the second quarter is probably taken from the crest of Sir George Colebrooke. The Manor of Highbury was alienated in the year 1723 to James Colebrooke, from whom it descended to Sir George Colebrooke, Bart. The eagle displayed in the third quarter is from the arms of Sir John Spencer, the wealthy London merchant, who came into possession of the Manor of Canonbury in 1570. The water-bouget is taken from the arms of the Berners family, who came over with William the Conqueror. They became possessed of large lands in Islington, known as Bernersbury (Barnsbury) from the name of the family.
The crest above the shield consists of a water-bouget, behind a longbow and arrow, this commemorates Islington's associations with the sports of the past.


KENSINGTON METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Or a Celestial Crown in chief and a Fleur-de-Lis in base of the last in dexter canton a Mullet Argent in the first quarter a Cross flory between four Martlets Sable in the second a Cross bottony Gules between four Roses of the last stalked and leaved proper in the third and a Mitre of the second in the fourth all within a Bordure quarterly Or and Sable.

Motto 'QUID NOBIS ARDUI' - What is hard for us.
Granted 23rd May 1901.

kensington mbc arms

The arms are mainly derived from those Lords of the Manor and others who were the principal landowners in Kensington on the gradual division of the original Manor. In the first quarter is seen a silver star on a red ground, taken from the armorial bearings of the de Veres, who were the first Lords of the Manor. The golden celestial crown and fleur-de-lis are emblematical of the Virgin Mary, to whom the parish church is dedicated. The black cross and four black martlets on a golden ground in the second quarter represent the arms of the Abbey of Abingdon, to whom part of the Manor was given by the de Veres in the eleventh century, and who dedicated the church to the Blessed Virgin. In the third quarter of the shield the red cross and four red roses on a golden ground are taken from the arms of Sir Walter Cope and Henry Rich, Earl of Holland, who in turn became Lords of the Manor, the former being represented by the red roses and the latter by the red cross. The golden mitre on a red ground in the fourth quarter further relates to the Abbey of Abingdon.


LAMBETH METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly per fesse wavy first Argent a Cross Gules second and third Ermine and fourth chequy Or and Azure over all a Pale Sable thereon a Crosier surmounted by a Mitre also Or all within a Bordure Sable charged with fifteen Bezants.
CREST On a Wreath of the Colours upon Water proper a Paschal Lamb Argent ducally gorged supporting over the dexter shoulder a Crosier Or flowing therefrom a Pennon also Argent charged with a Cross Gules.

Motto 'SPECTEMUR AGENDO' - Let us be regarded according to our conduct.
Granted 22nd April 1922.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

lambeth mbc arms

For description see Lambeth, London Borough of.


LEWISHAM METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Tierce in pairle reversed Vert Purpure and Sable a Saxon Crown Or on a Chief of the third a Lion passant of the fourth.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Billet fessewise barry wavy Argent and Azure a Raven proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Stag and on the sinister side a Bear proper muzzled Or each gorged with a Mural Crown Argent.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI SUPREMA LEX' - The welfare of the people is the highest law.
Granted 27th November 1950.

lewisham mbc arms

The green, purple and black divisions of the shield refer to Lee Green, Hither (Heather) Green and Black Heath, and the crown alludes to the Saxon associations of the district, where King Alfred was the first Lord of the Manor.
The blue and white waves and the raven are a punning reference to the River Ravensbourne.
The stag is from the arms of the Earls of Dartmouth and Viscounts Lewisham, Lords of the Manor of Lewisham. The bear represents the Lords Northbrook, Lords of the Manor of Lee, and the mural crowns are symbols of civic authority.


PADDINGTON METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure two Swords in saltire proper pommels and hilts Or enfiled with a Mural Crown of the last two Wolves' Heads erased in chief Argent.

Granted 5th April 1902.

paddington mbc arms

The wolves' heads and the blue background are from the arms of Sir John Aired, first Mayor of the Borough. It is also suggested that they also refer to the fact that the last wolf in Middlesex was killed in paddington. The swords are from the arms of the See of London and the mural crown is a common civic emblem, together they constituted the device on the old Paddington Vestry seal.


ST MARYLEBONE METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Sable and barry way of six Arent and Azure in chief on the dexter a Fleur-de-Lis flowering, and on the sinister a Rose both Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon two Bars wavy Argent and Azure between as many Lilies of the first stalked and leaved Vert a Female Figure affronte proper vested of the first mantled of the second on her left arm a Child also proper vested Or around the head of each a Halo of the last.

Motto 'FIAT SECUNDUM VERBUM TUUM' - Be it according to Thy Word.
Granted 17th August 1901.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

st marylebone mbc arms

The Borough derives its name from an ancient Chapel founded by Barking Abbey, which held the Manor of Tyburn and, like the Abbey, was dedicated to St Mary. To dis­tinguish it from other religious houses with the same dedication in the vicinity, the Chapel was called St Mary-le-Bourne. The blue and white waves refer to this bourne or brook, better know as the Tyburn. The lilies and the rose were derived from the arms of Barking Abbey, which, in refer­ence to the legend that when the Virgin's tomb was opened it was found to contain lilies and roses, bore three white lilies and three gold roses on blue, within a red border charged with eight silver roundels. The fleur-de-lis, besides being an emblem of the Virgin, has a secondary significance as the principal charge in the arms of the Portman family.
The motto is from Luke Ch.I, v.38.


ST PANCRAS METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per saltire Sable and Argent two Escallops in pale and two Elephants' Heads erased in fesse countercharged on a Chief Or two Swords in saltire proper between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded also proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Sable a Figure of Saint Pancras holding a Book and Palm as represented on a brass at Cowfold in Sussex [Or].

Motto 'WITH WISDOM AND COURAGE'.
Granted 7th December 1936.

st pancras mbc arms

The shells are from the arms of the Duke of Bedford, whose estates cover a large part of the south of the Borough. The elephants' heads are from the heraldry of the Marquess Camden, another ground-landlord, from whom Camden Town was named. The crossed swords of St. Paul represent the Dean and Chapter of London, who held the Manors of Cantelows and Totenhall (or Kentish Town and Tottenham Court). The swords also recall the tradition of an ancient battle at the place called Battle Bridge, now known as King's Cross. Different accounts make the combatants Queen Boudicca and the Romans, or King Alfred and the Danes.
St Pancras, to whom the ancient parish church was dedicated, was a young Phrygian nobleman who was martyred by Diocletian in AD 304. The representation of the Saint, with book and palm, is taken from a brass at Cowfold, Sussex.


SOUTHWARK METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Argent and Azure a Cross quarterly Gules and of the first between a Rose of the third barbed and seeded proper in the first quarter a Lily of the first slipped proper in the second an Annulet ensigned with a Cross pateé and interlaced with a Saltire conjoined in base all Or in the third and a Stag's Head caboshed also of the third in the fourth.

Motto 'UNITED TO SERVE'.
Granted 14th June 1902

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

southwark mbc arms

The Borough was formed by the amalgamation of the Parishes of St. Saviour (formerly St. Mary Overy), St. Mary Newington, St. George the Martyr and Christ Church. The rose and lily represent St. Saviour and St. Mary, the parochial authority of Newington was the vestry of St. Mary's. The device in the third quarter, known as the Southwark Cross, is commemorative of the martyrdom of St. George and was used as a device by the Bridge Estates Committee. The stag's head is for Christ Church.


STEPNEY METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on Water in base proper a Lymphad sail furled Sable on a Chief Azure between two Fire-Tongs erect a Pale of the field charged with a Cross Gules and in the first quarter with an Anchor of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure upon the Battlements of a Tower proper two Anchors in saltire Or.

Motto 'A MAGNIS AD MAIORA' - From great things to greater.
Granted 8th August 1931

stepney mbc arms

The arms express the history of Stepney. Shipping has been its principal industry, so the main charge is an ancient sailing ship on waves of the sea. On the upper portion of the shield there has been brought in the Cross of St George with an anchor in the first quarter to difference it from the original. It may be pointed out that the Cross of St George links the arms with those of the City of London, which Stepney adjoins, and with those of the London County Council. The two pairs of fire-tongs allude to the patron saint, St Dunstan, with which he was supposed to have pinched the Devil's nose.
The two crossed anchors, again representing the port, issue from battlements which are emblematic of the Tower of London.


STOKE NEWINGTON METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Cross fusilly Ermine and Sable overall two Swords in saltire Argent pommels and hilts Or on a Chief also Argent a Lion rampant queue fourchée Vert between two Oak Trees eradicated proper fructed Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours demi Griffin per chevron Gules and Or holding in the claws a Staff proper flowing therefrom to the sinister a Banner Ermine thereon a Cross Sable charged with ive Bezants.

Motto 'RESPICE PROSPICE' - Look to the past and the future.
Granted 12th June 1934.

Picture courtesy of Laurence Jones.

stoke newington mbc arms

The red background and crossed swords refer to the long association of the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's with Stoke Newington. The cross is from the arms of William Patten, who rebuilt the old Church of St. Mary in 1550. The green lion is from the heraldry of John Dudley and the trees refer to the ancient forest in the area.
The griffin refers to Daniel Defoe, and the banner shows the arms of Sir Thomas Abney.


WANDSWORTH METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse nebuly chequy Azure and Or each of the last charged with a Gutte of the first and Sable in base five Estoiles four and one of the second all within a Bordure Argent charged with eight Crosses couped Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an ancient Ship having a Dragon's Head at the prow Sable five Oars in action the like number of Shields resting against the bulwarks and suspended from the stem and stern an Anchor all Or Mast and Rigging proper with a flag flying to the dexter Gules Sail Azure charged with a Wyvern wings elevated within eight Guttes in orle Argent.

Motto 'WE SERVE'.
Granted 6th July 1901.

wandsworth mbc arms

The nebuly division line represents the rivers Wandle and Thames. The blue and gold checks are from the arms of William de Warrene, created first Earl of Surrey by William Rufus. The blue drops allude to the tears of the French Huguenots who settled and found a warm welcome in Wandsworth in 1685. The five stars, on black in the bottom half of the shield, represent the five parishes of which the Borough is composed - Clapham, Putney, Streatham, Tooting and Wandsworth. The red crosses on the border recall those on the arms of the City and County of London.
The ancient ship having a Dragon's head at the prow points to the Danish inroads in the ninth century, which are credited with having sailed up the Thames as far as Putney. The wyvern may refer to the Wendels, a tribe of sea raiders from the Continent credited with having given their name to the district. The five oars and shields, again represent the five parishes in the borough.


WESTMINSTER CITY COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Azure a Portcullis Or on a Chief of the second a Pallet of the first thereon a Cross flory between five Martlets also of the second being the Arms of King Edward the Confessor between two United Roses Gules and Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours Or and Azure a Portcullis chained Sable between on the dexter side a Rose Gules and on the sinister a Rose Argent both barbed seeded stalked leaved and erect proper.
SUPPORTERS:On either.Side a Lion Ermine that on the dexter gorged with a Collar Or thereon three Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper that on the sinister with a Collar Azure thereon as many Roses Argent barbed and seeded also proper and each charged on the body with a Portcullis chained Or.

Motto 'CUSTODI CIVITATEM DOMINE' - Keep the city, O Lord or O Lord, watch over the City.
Arms granted 1st October 1601. Regranted by Royal Warrant 6th November 1901. Exemplified 6th February 1902. Crest granted 24th October 1902. Supporters granted 27th October 1902.

westminster city arms

The arms are composed of the emblems of two monarchs who are particularly asso­ciated with Westminster Abbey. Firstly, Edward the Confessor, who began the rebuilding of the ancient Church of St Peter, and secondly Henry VII, who added the Chapel which bears his name.
The crest consists of the portcullis with a Tudor rose superimposed thereon for difference. The Port­cullis, as a design, has always been closely identified in the public mind with Westminster. The decoration of the portcullis and Tudor rose occurs in profusion in the Houses of Parliament, in the roof of the Savoy Chapel, in the Henry the Seventh's Chapel, and other public buildings in Westminster. They are, both of them, badges of the Tudor Dynasty, under whom Westminster received its greatest favours, being made a Parliamentary borough, an Honour, a Bishop's See, the seat of the Royal Court at Whitehall. The portcullis may also be regarded as the emblem of security, and the significance of the united Rose of England resting on the emblem of security possesses an additional appropriateness to the City of Westminster.
The ermine lions, the supporters of the arms of the Cecil family, were adopted in token of a family which has for centuries been closely associated with West­minster, Sir William Cecil, Lord Burleigh, Lord High Treasurer in Elizabeth I's reign, having been the City's first Lord High Steward, and his descendant, the Marquess of Salisbury, holding the same civic office at the time the supporters were granted.


WOOLWICH METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules three Cannon Barrels palewise in fesse proper each surmounted on the breach by a Leopard Face Or.

Motto 'CLAMANT NOSTRA TELA IN REGIS QUERELA' - Our bolts sing in the quarrels of Kings.
Granted 9th August 1934.

woolwich mbc arms

The arms where adopted in 1901 and used unofficially until granted in 1934. The cannons symbolise the famous Royal Arsenal, the oldest munition factory in England. The leopard's heads are supposed to have reference to the Manorial arms.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page