ARMS: Azure on a Cross Or between four Lions rampant Argent each ducally crowned Gold and grasping in the dexter claw a Sword in bend sinister proper pomel and hilt Gold five Lozenges Sable; the Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Gold.
BADGE: Within a Garland of Wheat Or three Bars wavy Azure over all a Lion as in the Arms.

Granted 30th May 1961.

durham cc arms

For interpretation see Durham County Council.


*ARMS: Argent between three Bars Gules three Fleurs-de-Lis Azure a Canton Gules charged with a Lion passant Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules an Ancient Ship of three masts Or the mailsail Azure chaged with a Cross Or and the foresail and mizzen sail Argent charged with a Fleur-de-Lis Azure.

Motto 'FAITH'.
Granted 1st May 1951.

billingham udc arms

The arms combine those of the Billingham and Bellasis families.
The ship represents the district's close associations with shipping and the River Tees. The cross on the mailsail refers to St. Cuthbert, to whom the Parish Church is dedicated.


ARMS: Azure within two Chevronels three Purses Or in chief two Escallops and in base three Lilies issuing from one stalk Argent.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Sable charged with three Ears of Wheat Or a demi Lion Argent holding between the paws an open Book of the last bound and clasped Gold.

Motto 'AUDACES PRORSUM' - Ye bold, on !
Granted 20th March 1953.

The main colours of the shield, blue and gold, are the colours of the See of Durham, which held the manor of Boldon and the living of Whitburn. The blue and white colours of the Whitburn portion are the traditional colours of both St. Mary and St. Andrew and the two chevronels represent two settlements, the ancient parishes of Boldon and Whitburn. The three golden purses are an emblem of St. Nicholas and represent the three constituent townships of East and West Boldon and Boldon Colliery, parts of the ancient parish of St. Nicholas, Boldon. The three white lilies are an emblem of St. Mary, thus representing the ancient parish of St. Mary, Whitburn, and the three constituent townships of Whitburn, Whitburn Colliery and Cleadon. The two white scallop shells indicate the coastal situation of the district.
The black mural crown is a symbol of civic authority and indicates a mining community and the three gold wheatears represent agriculture. The lion is from the arms of the Durham County Council and holds a book, which represents the " Boldon Buke " of Bishop Pudsey (12th century).
The motto gives a play on the name, and can be translated freely as "Boldly forward".


ARMS: Per pale Azure and Argent to the dexter a representation of St. Cuthbert's Cross proper and to the sinister two Pallets vert on a Chief also Argent a representation of the Steam Engine "Locomotion" and Tender also proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours two Lions combatant Argent supporting between them with the forlegs a Civic Mace Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Wyvern sejant severing the neck a Falchion proper and on the sinister side a Lion crowned Or.

Motto 'FLOREAT INDUSTRIA' - May industry flourish.
Arms and crest granted 20th May 1960. Supporters granted 10th October 1967.

darlington cbc arms

The steam engine recalls the Stockton and Darlington Railway's first steam engine "Locomotion", which dates from 1825. The St. Cuthbert's cross commemorates the legend of the monks of Lindisfarne fleeing the Danish invaders, who carried with them the body of the Saint and eventually came to Darlington. On the spot where the body lay an early Saxon Church was built, hence the dedication of the parish church.
The mace is a symbol of civic government and the two lions are derived from the arms of the See of Durham and hence link also with the arms of the Durham County Council .
The supporters commemorate the visit to the town of HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh on 19th October 1967, the lion being a royal emblem. The wyvern refers to the legend of the slaying of the "Sockburn Worm" by Sir John Conyers. The Manor of Sockburn lies a few miles south east of Darlington, on the River Tees. The estates were granted to the Conyers family by the King soon after the Norman Conquest, in recognition of the brave deed. A condition attached to the gift is that the first time a new Bishop of Durham enters the diocese he must be presented with the falchion as he crosses Croft Bridge.


ARMS: Gules on a Fesse Argent between in chief two Garbs Or each enfield by a Circlet of Steel proper the Circlets conjoined by a Steel Chain also proper and in base a Shorthorn Bull's Head caboshed Gold a Bar Azure charged with a Barrulet wavy also Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the colours a demi Lion Argent the body and tail passing through a false Escutcheon Or holding with the fore paws by the blade a representation of the Conyers Falchion point downwards proper.

Motto 'OPTIMA PETAMUS' - Let us seek the best.
Granted 19th June 1959.

darlington rdc arms

The shield's national colours of red, white and blue are those of the arms of George Stephenson, whose Darlington to Stockton railway is highlighted by the two white lines across the middle of the shield, enclosing a blue and white wave, symbolic of another means of communication - the River Tees. The two sheaves of corn denote the farming ties within the area and their encirclement in steel joined by a steel chain is representative of local industry. The shorthorn bull's head depicts the 'Comet of Ketton' the most famous of all the Colling Brothers' bulls from which the breed developed, and also symbolises stock farming which operates within the area.
The crest shows the white lion from the arms of the Durham County Council, the body and tail passing through the golden "orle" or hollow shield, which is taken from the arms and crest of the Surtees family. The lion holds in its fore-paws the Conyers falchion or sword, recalling the local legend, which tells of the slaying of the "Sockburn Worm" by Sir John Conyers (see County Borough of Darlington).


ARMS: Lozengy Argent and Sable in chief two Miner's Lamps proper and in base a Garb Or.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns slipped and leaved set alternately on a Rim Or a Lion rampant Argent holding in the forepaws a Miner's Pick erect Or; Mantled Sable doubled Argent.

Granted 1st February 1962.

durham rdc arms

The black lozenges, like those in the arms of the Durham County Council, together with the miner's lamps and pick, recall that the district was one of the most important coal producing areas in the north-east of England. The wheatsheaf refers to agriculture the districts other main activity.
The gold coronet is one specially created for use by rural district councils and the white lion is from the arms of the County Council and the See of Durham.


ARMS: Per saltire Azure and barry wavy of six Argent and of the first in chief a Cross flory of the second in fess two Lymphads sails furled Or and in base an open Book also of the second edged and clasped Gold and inscribed with the words "Beda Historia Ecclesiastica" Sable.
CREST: Issuant from an Antique Crown Or a demi Dragon Azure winged Vert holding between the claws a Crescent Gold.

Motto 'LABORE ET SCIENTIA' - By labour and science.
Granted 3rd March 1930.

jarrow bc arms

The cross represents the monastery founded in 681 by Benedict Biscop and endowed with lands by King Egfrid. It was here the Venerable Bede wrote his famous book, repre­sented in the shield. He was buried in the monastery, but his body was removed to Durham by Edward the Confessor. The ships refer to the port and shipbuilding.
The crest is based upon that of Sir Charles Mark Palmer, through whose great industrial enterprises Jarrow rose from a mere village to its present importance.


ARMS: Sable a Pick and Shovel in saltire Or on a Chief of the last a Cross couped between two Garbs Gules.
CREST: Issuant from a Coronet composed of Oak Leaves and Acorns proper set alternately upon a Rim a Horseshoe Or; Mantled Sable doubled Or.

Motto 'EX TERRA VIGEMUS' - From the earth prosper.
Granted 27th September 1954.

sedgefield rdc arms

The black background and the golden crossed pick and shovel symbolise the region's historical background in coal mining. The two sheaves of corn coloured red on a gold background depict the farming activity within the area and the central red cross highlights the presence of two local hospitals.
The coronet of acorns and oak leaves symbolises the New Town of Aycliffe, with a projecting golden horseshoe, which represents the interest in horse racing and the local Sedgefield Racecourse.


ARMS: Gules two Pallets surmounted by an Anchor Or over all a Castle the Portcullis raised proper.
CREST: Issuant from a Celestial Crown Gules a Garb Or; Mantled Gules doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion and on the sinister side a Bull Or each gorged with a Collar barry wavy Argent and Azure.

Motto 'FORTITUDO ET SPES' - Endurance and hope.
Granted 19th March 1951.

stockton bc arms

The castle is taken from the town badge which had been used by the Corporation for many years, and doubtless represents Stockton Castle, which existed until 1671. It is a reminder of the close connection which was established with the succession of Prince Bishops of Durham up to that time. The anchor, also from the town badge, indicates the fact that the town is a port and the two gold parallel lines are indicative of the town's association with the Stockton and Darlington Railway, the world's first passenger railway.
The celestial crown denotes that the land on which Stockton is built formerly belonged to the Church and the wheatsheaf is symbolic of the town's ancient markets and its long tradition as a centre for the sale of agricultural produce.
The lion stands for England, and the bull represents the stock side of agriculture and the town's weekly cattle market. The collars of silver and blue on each of the supporters represent the River Tees, on the banks of which the town stands.


ARMS: Or on a Chevron Sable between three Fountains as many Cressets Gold enflamed proper on a Chief Azure two Pallets between as many Mullets Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Garb fesswise Or a Dragon statant Gold gorged with a Collar counter-compony Argent and Azure.

Motto 'TEMPORI PARENDUM' - We must move with the times.
Granted 10th February 1958

stockton rdc arms

No further information currently available.


ARMS: Argent a Sextant Sable on a Chief Azure two Keys wards upwards and outwards in saltire Argent between as many Mitres of the last both enfiled with a Ducal Coronet Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure a Lymphad Sable the Sail Azure charged with the Cross of St. Cuthbert flags flying Argent charged with a cross Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Argent the dexter supporting an Anchor and the sinister a Pickaxe Or.

Motto 'NIL DESPERANDUM AUSPICE DEO' - With God as our leader there is no cause for despair.
Granted 10th August 1949.

Picture thanks to Garry Dent.

sunderland cbc arms

The sextant formed part of an earlier device of the Corporation. The keys represent Monkwearmouth, as St Peter was the patron of the church attached to the monastery founded by Benedict Biscop in 674. Bishopwearmouth is represented by the mitres, which are encircled by coronets - a distinction enjoyed only by the Bishops of Durham as former Palatinate lords. These emblems together therefore, refer to the early ecclesiastical history of the Borough.
The ancient ship is coloured black in allusion to the coal traffic of the district, and the crosses on the sail and flags are respectively those of St Cuthbert, patron saint of the County of Durham, and St George of England.
The supporting white lions are from the arms of the See of Durham, and the anchor and pick are tokens of Sunderland's principal industries, coloured gold for the prosperity they bring.


*ARMS: Azure a Cross Or in the first and fourth quarters two Lions passant guardant in pale Argent and in the second and third quarters a Cross patonce Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure a Lion rampant Or supporting with the dexter fore-paw a Sextant Sable.

Motto 'VINCIT AMOR PATRIAE' - Love of country prevails.
Granted 5th February 1952.

The cross and lions are from the arms of the See of Durham, also used by the Durham County Council, and the sextant is from the arms of the County Borough of Sunderland.

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page