BEDFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Gules a Fess wavy barry way of four Argent and Azure surmounted by a Pale Sable charged with three Escallops of the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from from a Wreath of Oak Or a Swan's Head and Neck proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion Gules and on the sinister side a Bull Or.

Motto 'CONSTANT BE'.
Granted 12th April 1951.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

bedfordshire cc arms

The gold and red quarters derive from the arms of the Beauchamps, Constables of Bedford Castle, the leading family in the County after the Norman Conquest. The Beauchamp of 1215 was one of the promoters of Magna Carta, and their last male was killed at Evesham in 1265. The waves refer to the River Ouse, and the shells are from the arms of the Russells, Dukes of Bedford and commemorate their services to the State, the County and the Council.
The swan's head is a further reference to the Ouse.
The red lion derives from a similar supporter of the Russell arms, and the bull refers to the importance of agriculture in the County.
The motto is taken from the words of the hymn: "Who would true valour see, let him come hither, One here will constant be, come wind, come weather" by the famous Bedfordshire man ,John Bunyan.


SOUTH BEDFORDSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Pile Gules over all a single-arched Bridge throughout Argent masoned Sable the keystone charged with an Ear of Wheat between on the Pile the Sickles proper all within a Bordure engrailed Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Argent masoned Sable in front of a demi-Bull three Cog-Wheels in fesse Or.
BADGE: Upon a Roundel embattled Gules irradiated with Rays of the Sun a demi-Bull rampant couped Or.

Motto 'BY TRUTH AND DILIGENCE'.
Granted 27th November 1975.

The South Bedfordshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Dunstable, the Leighton-Linslade Urban District and Watford Rural District.

south bedfordshire dc arms
dunstable device
Unofficial device used by Dunstable
south bedfordshire badge
Badge

The gold and red background gives the liveries of the Beauchamps, ancient Earls of Bedford and prominent in the Leighton-Linslade area's early history, whose gold and red quarters are the basis of the arms of the County Council and the Leighton-Linslade UDC. The triangle or "pile" is taken from the ancient Arms of Dunstable Priory, which adopted at an early stage by the Borough of Dunstable, became corrupted into the later device of a conical ale-warmer. The pile, and the black engrailed border from this device, thus represent Dunstable. The three sickles are from the arms of the Luton RDC and the bridge charged with an ear of wheat, is also from the the Leighton-Linslade shield.
The white mural crown and cog-wheels, like those in the Leighton-Linslade crest, are common civic and industrial emblems, a third cog-wheel has been added for Dunstable. The gold bull is derived from the supporter of the County arms and the bull's head crest of Luton RDC.
The motto is that of Leighton-Linslade UDC.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page