The emblems on the shield symbolise that the district corresponds almost exactly to the old Unions of Ampthill and Woburn. The majority of villages in the district formed part of the King's Honour of Ampthill, established by Henry VIII and functioning until 1930. This royal connection is symbolised by the lion from the Royal Arms, which is set on the black chief from the arms of the Russells, Dukes of Bedford, seated at Woburn. The Abbey arms are displayed between the Antlers of a red deer's head, for Woburn, which had at one time the greatest deer park in Europe, and the wreath of oak also refers to this.
The red and gold of the wreath and mantling are those of the County. The red walled or mural crown, symbolises Ampthill Castle, local government and the modern brick industry. From this rises the red lion of the Russells, with its white collar carrying three black scallop shells, supporting a gold sheaf for the agricultural and straw plaiting activities.
The motto is from a quotation in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, near the end. This refers to the character of the inhabitants and their skill in the local industries of all kinds. Bunyan had connections with this district.