ARMS: Quarterly first and fourth Azure a Bend of five Lozenges conjoined Or second and third per pale indented Or and Gules over all a Cross Ermine thereon a Mitre proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure issuant from a Mural Crown Or charged with a Rose Gules charged with another Argent barbed and seeded proper a dexter Arm embowed the hand holding a Hammer all proper; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Female Figure (representing) Art) proper vested Argent wreathed round the temples with Laurel Vert tied by a Riband Gules holding in the sinister hand resting on the Shield a Book bound also Gules and in the dexter a Painter's Palette Or with two Brushes proper and on the sinister side a Man habited as a Smith (representing Industry) holding in the dexter hand resting on the Shield a Cupel and in the sinister a Hammer resting on an Anvil all proper.
BADGE: A Roundel per pale indented Argent and Sable within a Cogwheel Gules between each pair of Cogs a Bezant.

Granted 10th May 1977, to replace those granted on 3rd April 1889 and the supporters granted on 4th April 1889. These previous arms, crest and supporters were re-exemplified 31st August 1936..

The City of Birmingham was extended in 1974 by the inclusion of the Borough of Sutton Coldfield.

birmingham city arms The 1974 Arms
old birmingham city arms The 1889 Arms
birmingham badge

The arms in the quarters of the shield are two distinct coats used by the de Bermingham family, who held the manor in the 13th century (and perhaps from the time of the Conquest) until 1527, when Edward de Birmingham was deprived of his property by John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, by means of a false charge of riot. The bendwise lozenges appear on the shield of an effigy in the church of St. Martins-in-the-Bull Ring, believed to be William de Bermingham. Later members of the family seemed to have quartered the two coats in one shield, but with the quarters reversed. This order of the coats was used by the City for difference. The 1889 arms orginally had an ermine fess from the arms of the Calthorpe family, Lords of the Manor of Edgbaston. This has now been replaced by the ermine cross and mitre, from the arms of the Borough of Sutton Coldfield. This is a reference to John Harman or Vesey, Bishop of Exeter. He was born in Sutton and obtained my advantages for the Town.
The mural crown, arm and hammer refer to civic government and industry. The Tudor rose alludes to Henry VIII, who granted Sutton Coldfield a Charter in 1528.
The figures (reversed from the former achievement) represent art and industry. The cupel refers to the jewellery quarter and the anvil refers to the tradition of heavy industry.


ARMS: Per pale Gules and Vert an Elephant statant bearing on his back a Castle triple-towered and domed Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Cat statant guardant proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Eagle wings elevated and addorsed Sable langued and legged Gules and on the sinister side a Phoenix wings elevated and addorsed Or langued Gules the Flames proper.

Motto 'CAMERA PRINCIPIS' - The Prince's Chamber.
Arms and crest recorded at the Visitations of 1619 and 1682 (on the latter occasion a banner charged with three ostrich feathers was allowed on the centre tower of the castle). Arms and crest confirmed in above form and supporters granted 10th February 1959.

The City of Coventry was formed by the amalgamation of the former City of Coventry and part of the Meriden Rural District.

coventry city arms

The right to use arms was conferred by Edward III, probably at the time of the incorporation of the City in 1345, but a corporate seal was in use prior to this date. The circular seal also showed the elephant and castle and probably had its origin as a mark for woollens, tammies, and caps exported to the East, for which, prior to this period, Coventry was famous. The elephant as a symbol signifies strength and sagacity, while the castle signifies strength and security. One theory put forward by a local historian is that the elephant had a religious symbolism. The elephant is seen, not only as a beast so strong that he can carry a tower, but also as a symbol of Christ's redemption of the human race. The animal, according to one of the 'Bestiary' stories, is supposed to sleep standing, leaning against a tree. These 'Bestiary' stories also had it that the foe of the elephant was the dragon, who devoured newly-born elephants, the tempter for the foe. The elephant, then, is a dragon slayer and is associated with a tree. In the early seals of Coventry, from which the arms derives, are shown, on one side, the combat between another dragon-slayer, the Archangel Michael, and the dragon. On the other is the elephant and castle. This local historian, Mary Dormer Haris, points out that the tree has been dropped out of the armorial bearings of the city, and it is a tree from which Coventry almost certainly took its name - Cofa's tree. In the medieval mind, the elephant suggested the eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and did not merely symbolise strength. The colours of red and green are the traditional colours of the city dating back at least to 1441.
The cat, which is sometimes described as a cat-o-mountain or wild cat, is generally considered to symbolise vigi­lance.
The Black Eagle is that of Lord Leofric, who on the site of modern Coventry founded a monastery in 1043 with his wife Godgifu, famous in the legend as Lady Godiva. The phoenix arising from the flames represents the new Coventry reborn out of the ashes of the old and its renewal after having been destroyed in the blitz.
The motto probably has reference to the early part of the fourteenth century when Edward, the Black Prince, as Lord of the Manor of Cheylesmore, was closely associated with the City. It is from this Prince that the three feathers are derived which are sometimes shown in conjunction with the civic arms.


ARMS: Per chevron Or and Gules a Chevron Azure between in chief two Lions rampant per pale Gules and Vert each supporting a Beacon fitted proper and in base a Salamander reguardant fitted proper on the Chevron between two Pieces of Chain each in chevron Or a Roundel barry wavy Argent and Azure between two Pears slipped and leaved Or.
CREST: Upon a Mount Vert rising from a Mural Crown Or charged with a Stafford Knot Azure a representation of Sedgley Beacon Tower proper between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper, Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: To the dexter a Canon of the Premonstratensian Order holding in his exterior hand a closed Book proper and to the sinister an Angel proper winged Argent habited Gules girded and holding in the exterior hand a Mural Crown Or.
BADGE: A Castle triple towered proper suspended by a Chain from the central tower a golden Fleece proper each flanking tower charged with an Escallop Sable.

Granted 10th June 1975.

The Metropolitan Borough of Dudley was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Dudley, the Borough of Halesowen and the Borough of Stourbridge. In 1966 part of the Urban District of Amblecote, the Urban District of Brierley Hill, the Urban District of Coseley and the Urban District of Sedglely had been added to Dudley. At the same time the remainder of Amblecote was added to Stourbridge.

dudley mbc arms
dudley badge

The chevron is taken from the arms of the Coseley UDC and resembles the bridge in the arms of the Borough of Stourbridge. The pears are also taken from the Stourbridge arms to represent Worcestershire, and the heraldic fountain in the centre from those of Brierley Hill UDC to represent the ancient fords in the Manor of Kingswinford. The chain is taken from the Stourbridge and Halesowen arms and represents the chain, nail and anchor making industries which were once common throughout the area. The two lions taken from the Borough of Halesowen arms and the salamander is taken from the County Borough of Dudley arms. This is the traditional emblem of the smith and thus symbolises the metal working industry. The fired beacons held by the lions are taken from the arms of Coseley UDC and Brierley Hill UDC, and also allude to local industries.
The mural crown denoted the Distrct's status as a Borough. Sedgely beacon appeared on the device used by the Sedgely UDC as well as in the Coseley crest. The roses refer to the briars once common in the area and from which Brierley Hill derives its name. The Stafford knot refers to Staffordshire, the original county of a large part of the area and appered in several of the former authority's arms.
The Canon, like that of the former supporter of Halesowen, is of the Premonstratensian Order which founded Halesowen Abbey. The angel, like that of the former Dudley supporter, is taken from the arms of the Earls of Dudley.


ARMS: Per saltire Vert and Or four Fers de Moline counterchanged in fess point a Fountain.
CREST: Issuing out of a Saxon Crown per pale Or and Vert a demi Stag Argent semy of Mullets and Fleurs de Lys Azure attired Or holding between the forelegs a Caduceus the staff proper winged Or and entwined by two Serpents Vert; Mantled Vert and Azure doubled Or and Argent.

Granted 4th July 1974.

The Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Warley and the County Borough of West Bromwich.

sandwell mbc arms

The green and gold "per saltire" division of the shield derives from the arms of the County Borough of Warley. The fers de moline or millrinds are drawn from the arms of County Borough of West Bromwich, and intended in those, and in the present design, to stand for local iron and brass foundries, and industrial activity generally. The heraldic fountain, is an heraldic symbol for water, and hence in conjunction with the gold sections of the shield makes an allusion to the name of Sandwell.
The mantling repeats the tinctures of the mantling pertaining to West Bromwich's arms, and also the tinctures, green and gold, of the mantling of the arms of Warley. The Saxon crown appears as part of the crest of Warley, and is here shown in the colours of its shield, gold and green. The stag is from the crest of West Bromwich and supports a Caduceus, the latter in heraldry being a device associated with industry and commercial enterprise. The mullets and fleurs de lys on the body of the stag, blue on silver, are a reminder of Sandwell Hall itself, deriving from the arms of West Bromwich and ultimately from the arms of the Earls of Dartmouth, who lived at Sandwell Hall.


ARMS: Argent within two Barrulets Gules between in chief a Griffin passant Sable and in base a Hurt thereon a Fleur-de-Lys Argent a Greyhound courant Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Sable issuant from the Battlements of a Tower in front of a Oak Tree proper fructed Or two Sickles the shafts in saltire the blades upward and outward proper.

Motto 'URBS IN RURE' - The town in the countryside.
Granted 1975.

The Metropolitan Borough of Solihull was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Solihull, part of the Merden Rural District and part of the Stratford-on-Avon Rural District.

solihull mbc arms

The two barrulets are from the arms of Sir George Throckmorton or Throgmorton of Coughton Court, near Alcester, who purchased the Manor from the Crown in 1528 and it was held by the family until 1604. The black griffin is taken from the arms of the Finch family, Earls of Aylesford, who have held the lordships of the manors of Bickenhill and Meriden. The black greyhound is taken from the arms of the Greswold family who were associated with Solihull for several centuries and built Malvern Hall and also the Manor House in the High Street. The silver fleur-de-lys is taken from the arms of the Digby family, which has held the manor of Coleshill (including Chelmsley Wood, Kingshurst and Fordbridge) since 1496.
The crest is based on that of the former County Borough of Solihull, with a change in the colour of the wreath and mantling. The oak tree indicates that the district was formerly part of the Forest of Arden, and the tower and sickles show that while it includes considerable residential areas parts of it are still mainly agricultural. This theme is also the significance of the motto, which was also used by the former County Borough.

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page