CURRENT ADMINISTRATIVE AREAS OF WALES

wales map (current)

Map from Wikipedia

Welsh Language forms are given in parentheses, except where English uses the Welsh form.

  1. Merthyr Tydfil (Merthyr Tudful)
  2. Caerphilly (Caerffili)
  3. Blaenau Gwent
  4. Torfaen (Tor-faen)
  5. Monmouthshire (Sir Fynwy)
  6. Newport (Casnewydd)
  7. Cardiff (Caerdydd)
  8. Vale of Glamorgan (Bro Morgannwg)
  9. Bridgend (Pen-y-bont ar Ogwr)
  10. Rhondda Cynon Taf
  11. Neath Port Talbot (Castell-nedd Port Talbot)
  12. Swansea (Abertawe)
  13. Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
  14. Ceredigion
  15. Powys
  16. Wrexham (Wrecsam)
  17. Flintshire (Sir y Fflint)
  18. Denbighshire (Sir Ddinbych)
  19. Conwy
  20. Gwynedd
  21. Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn)
  22. Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)

PRINCIPAL AREAS

BLAENAU GWENT COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL ~
CYNGOR BWRDEISTREF SIROL BLAENAU GWENT

*ARMS: Paly wavy of six Argent and Vert on a Chief dancetty of three points downward per pale Azure and Sable three Fleurs de Lys Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a rocky Mount proper a Dragon passant Gules breathing flames collared with a Ring of Steel and supporting with the dexter foreleg a Pair of Millrolls proper.
*SUPPORTERS: On either side a Dragon Gules breathing Flames collared with a Ring of Steel and supporting with the dexter foreleg a Pick Axe head downward proper.
*?BADGE: A Roundel paly wavy of six Argent and Vert charged with six Fleurs de Lys Or.

Motto 'UNBED A RHYDDID' - Unity and freedom.
Granted 13th November 1975, to Borough of Blaenau Gwent.

The former Borough of Blaenau Gwent was formed by the amalgamation of the Abertillery Urban District, the Brynmawr Urban District, the Ebbw Vale Urban District, the Nantyglo and Blaina Urban District, the Tredegar Urban District and part of the Crickhowell Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

bleanau gwent cbc arms

The shield is a kind of heraldic map illustrating the County Borough's name (Where the valleys meet the mountains of Gwent). The six white and green waves represent the three main valleys and rivers of Sirhowy, Ebbw and Clydach where all the five former constituent areas lie. The three indentations at the top of the shield allude to the mountains above which are the three gold fleurs-de-lys on blue and black from the ancient arms of the Kingdom of Gwent and the modern arms of the Gwent (formerly Monmouthshire) County Council.
The white and green of the wreath are the colours of the Tudors and of Wales. The red dragon is like those in the crests of Ebbw Vale UDC and Crickhowell RDC. The mound of coal, collar of steel, flames and pair of millrolls symbolise the main local industries, and is carried on in the supporters.


BRIDGEND COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR BWRDEISTREF SIROL PEN-Y-BONT AR OGWR

ARMS: Per chevron raguly per pale Or and Gules and Argent in chief on the dexter a Lozenge Sable and on the sinister a Garb Or and in base three Barrulets wavy Azure thereon a Dolphin naiant embowed proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules a demi Dragon Gules gorged with a Steel Collar pendent therefrom a Steel Chain proper holding in the dexter claw an Anchor Azure and resting the sinister claw on a Cogwheel Sable.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter a Dragon Gules gorged with a Mural Crown Or attached thereto a Steel Chain reflexed over the back proper attached to a Triangular Harrow Or supported by the dexter claw and on the sinister a Sea Horse Argent the tail Vert gorged with a Mural Crown Or attached thereto a Steel Chain reflexed over the back proper attached to an Anchor Sable supported by the sinister webbed foot.

Motto 'ONWARD WITH CONFIDENCE'.
Granted 21st December 1977, to the former Ogwr Borough Council.

The former Borough of Ogwr was formed by the amalgamation of the Bridgend Urban District, the Maesteg Urban District, the Ogmore and Garw Urban District, the Porthcawl Urban District and the Penybont Rural District. The Bridgend County Borough was formed on 1st April 1996 from the former Ogwr Borough, apart from the communities of Wick, St. Bride's Major and Ewenny, which were transferred to the Vale of Glamorgan.

bridgend cbc arms

The black diamond, as the in the arms of the Maesteg UDC and the Penybont RDC, symbolises the coal industry in the area and the golden wheatsheaf, like those in the crest of the Bridgend UDC, signifies agriculture. The ragged line represents a part of the heritage coastline and the Borough's association with the sea is depicted by a green dolphin on three wavy blue lines.
The red dragon represents Wales and its steel collar and chain, the anchor and cog-wheel signify industry.
The supporter on the right hand side of the shield is again the red dragon, with a mural gold crown signifying local government. The steel chain reflexed over its back attached to a triangular gold harrow represents agriculture. The supporter on the left side of the shield is a silver sea horse with a green tail. The steel chain reflexed over its back attached to a black anchor, similar to that in the crest of the Porthcawl UDC, also represents the sea.


CARDIFF CITY AND COUNTY COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR DINAS A SIR CAERDYDD

ARMS: Argent on a Mount Vert a Dragon rampant Gules supporting in front of a Leek issuing from the Mount a Flag Staff erect proper flying therefrom to the sinister a Banner of the third charged with three Chevronels of the first.
CREST: A Tudor Rose on three Ostrich Feathers Argent issuing out of a Mural Crown proper; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Goat and on the sinister side a Sea Horse both proper as an Honourable Augmentation Her Majesty's Royal Badge for Wales, videlicet within a circular Riband Argent fimbriated Or bearing the motto Y DDRAIG GOCH DDYRY CYCHWYN in letters Vert and ensigned with a representation of the Crown proper an Escutcheon per fess Argent and Vert and thereon a Red Dragon passant pendent by a Golden Chain from the neck of each supporter.

Motto(above the crest) 'DEFFRO MAE'N DDYDD' - Awake! It is day.
Motto(below the shield) 'Y DDRAIG GOCH DDYRY CYCHWYN' - The Red Dragon shall lead.
Arms granted 26th August 1906. Crest granted by Royal Warrant 6th October 1906, exemplified 15th February 1907. Supporters granted 25th February 1907, and augmented by Royal Warrant 19th October 1956, exemplified 23rd October 1956.

cardiff city arms

The red dragon is the well-known emblem of Wales it holds a standard bearing the arms attributed to Iestyn ap Gwrgant, the last Prince of Glamorgan. The banner also links to the arms used by Cardiff before it obtained its grant, namely the three red chevrons on gold of the Clare Lords of Glamorgan. Thus the Welsh and Norman history of the City is suggested. The leek is, of course, the floral emblem ofWales, and the traditional origin of the leek as a Welsh emblem is the battle of Poictiers. According to Fluellen in Shakespeare's Henry V 'the Welshmen did good service in a garden where leeks did grow, wearing leeks in their Monmouth caps.' An alternative theory is that the true Welsh emblem is not the vegetable leek, but 'St Peter's Leek' - the daffodil.
The ostrich feathers are the famous badge of the Princes of Wales, and their use was specially authorized by Royal Warrant. The Tudor rose is taken from an old Corporation seal and the mural crown is a symbol of civic government.
The goat represents the mountains of Glamorgan, and the sea-horse stands for the Severn Sea and the port, whereby their mineral wealth is distributed to the world.
The complete achievement depicts the status of the City and County of Cardiff as the Capital City of Wales and its commercial position linking the mountains with the sea. The crest and the Royal Badges on the supporters show the special Royal favours to the City as well as its fealty to the Crown.


CARMARTHENSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR SIR CAERFYRDDIN

ARMS: Quarterly indented Or and Gules in the first and fourth quarters a Dragon rampant and in the second and third quarters a Lion rampant all counterchanged.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Dagon passant Gules gorged with a Collar flory counterflory and resting the dexter foreclaw on a Harp Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Dragon Gules gorged with a Collar flory counterflory attached thereto a Chain reflexed over the back Or and on the sinister side a Sea Horse Argent the piscine parts proper gorged with a Collar flory counterflory attached thereto a Chain reflexed over the back Or.
BADGE: Within an elliptical Cable Azure knotted in base issuing out of a Bailey of five Towers a Garb Or banded Vert.

Motto 'RHYDDID GWERIN FFYNIANT GWLAD' - The freedom of the people is the prosperity of the country.
Arms and crest granted to the former Carmarthenshire County Council 28th August 1935. Transferred by Royal Licence dated 18th March 1996 to new Carmarthenshire County Council. Arms and Crest exemplified and Badge and Supporters granted 1997.

Picture and information courtesy of Laurence Jones.

carmarthenshire cc arms

The arms combine the Welsh dragon and the gold lions and indented division from the arms of Rhys ap Tewdwr Mawr, King of South Wales in the eleventh century and his grandson the Lord Rhys whose descendants still form a notable county family.
The harp symbolizes Welsh musical traditions and poetry, of which the County is an important centre.
The dragon supporter again represent Wales and the seahorse reprsents the sea, they are both chained to signify protection and stability.


CEREDIGION COUNTY COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR SIR CEREDIGION
Link to Ceredigion CC Web Site

ARMS: Quarterly per pale indented first Sable a Lion rampant reguardant Or second barry wavy of six Argent and Azure a Herring haurient proper third Azure a Garb Or banded Gules and fourth Sable a Chevron between three Roses Argent barbed and seeded proper; The Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Or.

Motto 'GOLUD GWLAD RHYDDID' - A nation's wealth is freedom.
Granted 21st October 1937, to the former Cardiganshire County Council and also used by the Ceredigion District Council from 1974.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

ceredigion cc arms

The black lion on gold is based on the arms of Gwaithfoed, a medieval Prince of Ceredigion. The herring and the wheatsheaf represent the fishing industry and agriculture. The chevron and roses are the arms ascribed to Dewi Sant (Saint David), the patron saint of Wales, who has very close associations with Ceredigion.


FLINTSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR SIR Y FFLINT

ARMS: Argent on a Cross engrailed fleury Sable between four Cornish Choughs proper a Mascle of the field between four Plates.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Dragon Gules supporting with the claws an Ostrich Feather Argent.

Motto 'GOROU TARIAN, CYFIAWNDER' - The best shield is justice.
Granted 12th May 1938, to the former Flintshire County Council.

The County of Flintshire was abolished in 1974. In 1996 it was reformed as a unity authority.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

flintshire cc arms

The shield incorporates the arms of Edwin of Tegeingl following an earlier use of these arms on the Common Seal of the County. Edwin is said to have been King of Tegeingl in the Dark Ages - the kingdom covered that part of the present County lying north of a line from Mold to Hawarden. According to one account he was a descendant of Hywel Dda. He founded one of the Fifteen Royal Tribes of North Wales. The County Horticultural College at Northop is near the site of his palace, Llys Edwin. The Choughs in the arms, although designated in the official blazon as Cornish Choughs, were undoubtedly widely distributed throughout Wales in earlier times and are properly regarded as Celtic.
The crest is a Welsh dragon with a white feather carried in the right paw. The single plume, the 'Peace Badge' of Edward the Black Prince, was adopted by Henry VII, the first Tudor (or Welsh) King of England.


ISLE OF ANGLESEY COUNTY COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR SIR YNYS MÔN

ARMS: Gules a Chevron between three Lions rampant Or a Bordure barry wavy of eight Azure and Argent.
CREST: Out of an Antique Crown Or a demi-Dragon Gules supporting a garb Gold; Mantled Gules doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Bull Argent gorged with a Wreath of Seaweed proper and on the sinister side an Heraldic Tiger Sable gorged with a Wreath of Oak also proper fructed Or.

Motto 'MON MAM CYNRU' - Anglesey, Mother of Wales.
Granted 9th April 1954, to the former Anglesey County Council.

anglesey cc arms

The chevron and lions, gold on red, show the arms formely used by the Council, the attributive arms of Hwfa ap Cynddelw, one of the Fifteen Peers of North Wales in the twelfth century. The border of blue and white waves depicts that Anglesey is an island.
The red and gold of the mantling are the main colours of the Princes of Gwynedd, whose seat was in Anglesey until 1277. The Welsh Dragon supports a great golden wheatsheaf in reference to the county's ancient fertility whereby it was able to sustain Wales in the early wars, and to which the motto refers.
The white bull is derived from the heraldry of the Bulkeleys of Beaumaris, and with its collar of seaweed, typifies the agricultural and seafaring activities of the island. The black heraldic tiger is a supporter of the arms of the Marquess of Anglesey, and his collar of oak refers to Anglesey's former position as the stronghold of the Druids to whom the tree is sacred.


MERTHYR TYDFIL COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL ~
CYNGOR BWRDEISTREF SIROL MERTHYR TUDFUL

ARMS: Azure a Figure representing Saint Tydvil the Martyr in chief two Crosses patée fitchée all Or.

Motto 'MID CADARN OND BRODYRDDE' - No strength but in fellowship.
Granted 17th August 1906, to the former Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council. Regranted in 1976 and 1996.

merthyr tydfil cbc arms

The central motif is a likeness of St. Tydfil. The town owes its name to Tydfil the daughter of Brychan, a 5th Century Chieftain, who had been converted to Christianity. One of her brothers, Cadoc, became the Patron Saint of Brittany. Tydfil and her family were massacred by a band of marauding Picts and Saxons about AD 480 and it is generally believed that she died on the site of the Parish Church, which bears her name. The shrine of St. Tydfil the Martyr soon became a place of Christian pilgrimage and as the years passed by a village grew up around it. The distaff she is bearing in her hands signifies the industrial history of the County Borough of Merthyr Tydfil, and the crosses patée fitchée, resembling daggers are meant to remind us of how she met her death.
The motto is taken from an Old Welsh manuscript, 'The Sayings of the Wise'.


MONMOUTHSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR SIR FYNWY

ARMS: Per pale Azure and Sable three Fleurs-de-Lis Or on a Chief of the last two Towers triple towered Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of Colours a Tower triple towered Gules charged with an Escutcheon of the Arms of Somerset that is to say quarterly first and fourth Azure three Fleurs-de-Lis Or second and third Gules three Lions passant guardant in pale Or all within a Border gobony Argent and Azure.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion guardant Or grasping with the interior paw a Rose Gules barbed seeded stalked and leaved proper and gorged with a Coronet composed of four Fleurs-de-Lis set upon a Rim also Gules and on the sinister side a Dragon of the last grasping with the in­terior claw a Leek also proper and gorged with a like Coronet Gold.

Motto 'UTRIQUE FIDELIS' - Faithful to both.
Granted 28th January 1948, to Monmouthshire County Council. Transferred by Order of Her Majesty in Council on 16th April 1975, to Gwent County Council. Transferred by Royal Licence dated, 18th October 1996 to the newly constituted Monmouthshire County Council.

monmouthshire cc arms

The gold fleurs-de-lis upon blue and black are the arms of the ancient Kingdom of Gwent. The castles are the arms of the ancient Princes of Gwent and also refer to the many castles situated in the County.
The Somerset Coat of Arms shown on the castle forming the crest, refers to the connections of the Somer­set Family with the county. In particular to the defence of Raglan Castle on behalf of King Charles I, by Henry Somerset, fifth Earl and first Marquess of Worcester.
The lion of England and the dragon of Wales, each holding its country's National Emblem illustrate the County's double allegiance.


NEWPORT COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL ~
CYNGOR BWRDEISTREF SIROL CASNEWYDD

ARMS: Or a Chevron reversed Gules; the shield ensigned by a Cherub proper.
SUPPORTERS:On the dexter side a Winged Sea Lion Or and on the sinister side a Sea Dragon Gules the nether parts of both proper finned Gold.

Motto 'TERRA MARIQUE' - By land and sea.
Arms granted 17th April 1929, supporters granted 7th May 1958, to the former Newport County Borough Council. Used 1974 to 1996 by the Newport Borough Council.

newport cbc arms

These arms were in use before 1929, when they were officially confirmed. They are based on the red chevron on gold which formed the arms of the family De Stafford, the Earls of Stafford and Dukes of Buckingham having held the lordship of Newport in the 14th and 15th centuries - but the reversed chevron marks the difference between these Borough Anns and those of the family. The use of the cherub above the shield is unusual, It is not known whether the cherub was intended to have any significance when it was adopted, but it is believed to be merely decorative.
The supporters indicate that Monmouthshire, including Newport, had been for some centuries alternately officially designated either as part of England or part of Wales. Their animal and fish parts, and the fact that they are winged, make them also representative of strength on land, sea and in the air.
The motto echos the symbolism of the supporters.


PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR SIR PENFRO

ARMS: Quarterly first and fourth per fesse Gules and Or in chief a Lion passant and in base two Fleur-de-lys counterchanged second and third Argent two Bars Gules over all a Cross Sable and a Bordure Argent charged with eight Martlets and as many Ermine Spots Sable.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Or a Rock proper thereon an Eagle wings elevated and addorsed Gold; Mantled Gules doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion Or gorged with a Collar and charged on the shoulder with a Fleur-de-Lys Gules and on the sinister side a Dragon Gules gorged with a Collar and charged on the shoulder with a Fleur-de-Lys Or..
BADGE: Within a Circlet of alternate seven Tudor Roses proper and seven Fleur-de-lys Or a representation of the Celtic Cross at Nevern sans pedestal fimbnated Vert.

Motto 'EX UNITATE VIRES' - Strength from unity.
Arms, crest and supporters granted 11th October 1937. Badge granted 22nd November 1996.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

pembrokeshire cc arms
pembrokeshire badge
Badge

The fleurs-de-lys, lions and martlets are from the arms of Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke, whose arms (Quarterly France and England within a Bordure Azure charged with eight Martlets Or) were formerly used by the County. The Tudors were closely associated with Pembrokeshire, and Henry VII was born at Pembroke Castle.
The mural crown refers to the castles of Pembrokeshire, and the rock to its rugged coastline, while the eagle represents wildlife.
The lion and the dragon refer to the County's dual heritage; the northern part being predominantly Welsh and the southern part English. The County is sometimes called 'little England beyond Wales'.
The motto signifies the unity of the two elements.


POWYS COUNTY COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR SIR POWYS

ARMS: Per chevron bevilled Or and Sable three Fountains proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Sable rising from a Tower Sable masoned Argent a Red Kite Or semy of Lozenges Sable grasping between its talons a Golden Fleece; Mantled Sable doubled Or.

Motto 'POWYS PARADWYS CYMRU' - Powys, the paradise of Wales.
Granted 2nd March 1984.

powys cc arms

The gold background symbolises the wealth of the area, and the black, both mining and the Black Mountains. The heraldic fountains represents water and, therefore, both refers to the water catchment area and the rivers and lakes. Three fountains have been placed on the shield to produce a distinctive design and can also be seen as refering to the three former counties amalgamated into Powys.
The red kite with black diamonds refers to local fauna and coal mining. The importance of sheep rearing to the area is refered to by the golden fleece. The castles and historical military connections of the area are alluded to by the tower.


RHONDDA CYNON TAFF COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL ~

*ARMS: Or three Chevronels Gules on a Chief wavy barry wavy of fore Argent and Azure a Celestial Crown between two Acorns Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from Flames proper a demi Dragon Gules holding in the dexter claw a Bolt of Lightning Or.
*SUPPORTERS: Dexter a Laboratory Technician habited and holding in the exterior hand a Clipboard all proper sinister a Coal Miner habited and supporting in the exterior hand a Mandrel all proper.

Motto 'ADSUMUS UT ADIUVEMUS'.
Granted ?

The County Borough of Rhondda Cynon Taff was formed on 1st April 1996 by the amalgamation of the Borough of Cynon Valley, the Borough of Rhondda and the Borough of Taff-Ely (with the exceptions of Creigiau and Pentyrch, which were added to Cardiff).

rhondda cynon taff cbc arms

The three red chevronels on gold, as seen in the arms of the Mid Glamorgan County Council and the crest of former Borough of Rhondda, are from the arms of the Clare Family, who held the medieval lordship of Glamorgan. The blue and white wavy chief is taken from the arms of the former Borough of Cynon Valley, and refers to local rivers. The acorns come from arms of Rhondda, where they represented the ancient forest and the growth of new industries. The celestial crown is taken from the arms of the former Borough of Taff Ely, and its predecessor Llantrisant and Llantwit Fardre RDC.
The crest is the Welsh symbol of a dragon, here depicted as a demi dragon in allusion to the crests of the constituent bodies making up the new authority. It emerges from flames in token of the regeneration of industry, and holds a flash of lightening as an emblem of new technology.
The dexter supporter is a laboratory technician, representing the new forms of industry attracted to the area. The sinister supporter of a miner is taken from a supporter to the arms of the former Mid Glamorgan County Council, and stands for the traditional skills of South Wales.


TORFAEN COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR BWRDEISTREF SIROL TORFAEN

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Gules overall a Fess Argent charged with two Barrulets wavy Azure first and fourth quarter a Lozenge Sable charged with a Garb Or second and third quarters a Crow wings addorsed proper holding in its dexter claw a Japanned Vase Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure issuant from a Circlet of Garbs Or and Lozenges Sable rising behind a Range of Hills proper a Sun in splendour Or.

Motto 'UNITED WE SERVE'.
Granted 29th May 1975?, to the former Torfaen Borough Council.

The former Borough of Torfaen was formed by the amalgamation of the Blaenavon Urban District, the Cwmbran Urban District, the Pontypool Urban District, part of the Magor and St Mellons Rural District and part of the Pontypool Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

torfaen cbc arms

The blue wavy lines represent the Afon Lwyd (Grey River) which runs the length of Gwent's Eastern Valley. The Afon Lwyd runs through the three towns of Pontypool, Blaenavon and Cwmbram, before industry came to the area and made it dirty the river was called the Torfaen (Rock Breaker), because of its speed. The black diamonds, like those in the arms of the Blaenavon UDC, depict coal and the wheatsheaves represent the Borough's agriculture. The crow derives from Cwmbran (Valley of the Crow or blackbird), being the traditional emblem of the town, the vases held by the crows depict Pontypool Japanware, one of the area's most famous industries of the past.
The rising sun behind the range of hills depicts new authority and its terrain.


VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR BWRDEISTREF SIROL BRO MORGANNWG

ARMS: Per pale Or and Gules a Pile counterchanged over all three Chevronels per pale and per pile Argent and Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules issuing from the top of a Tower Or a demi Bear supporting a Ship's Mast with a main sail furled proper; Mantled Gules doubled Or and Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On a Compartment representing the Coastline of Glamorgan with two Headlands proper and an Inlet of the Sea barry wavy Azure Argent and Azure with a Sandy Beach and Cliffs proper on the dexter upon a Garb fesswise Or a Unicorn Argent armed maned crined and unguled Or gorged with two Bars gemel and crowned with a Mural Crown Gules masoned Or and on the sinister on a like Garb a Lion Gules charged on the body with six Crosses Crosslet Argent head and mane of the same crowned with a Mural Crown Gules masoned Or.

Motto 'UNDOD CADERNID CYNNYDD' - Unity Strength Progress.
Granted 10th September 1975, to the former Vale of Glamorgan Borough Council.

The former Borough of Vale of Glamorgan was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Barry, the Borough of Cowbridge, the Penarth Urban District, part of the Cardiff Rural District and part of the Cowbridge Rural District.

vale of glamorgan cbc arms

The arms combine the three white chevronels on red attributed to Iestyn ap Gwrgant, ruler of Glamorgan, and the three red chevronels on gold of the de Clare family. The pile or V-shaped device issuing from the top of the shield provides an outline of the initial letter of the Vale and its wedge shape may also be taken to be a very simple picture of a vale.
The crest derives from the bears seen in the unofficial device of the Penarth UDC combined with a ship's mast and sail, as a reference to the arms attributed to St.Illtyd which are of significance in standing for Llantwit Major. The tower also alludes to Llantwit, three towers appearing in the arms attributed to St.Illtyd.
The unicorn and the bars on its neck are derived from the arms and its supporters of Borough of Barry, where the bars are from the arms of the de Barri family and the unicorn is from the supporters of the Earl of Plymouth's arms. The lion and the crosslets are derived from the arms of the Borough of Cowbridge, where they commemorated the medieval de Braose family. The six churches which were founded in or about Llanilltud Fawr are represented by the number of crosses on the body of the lion. Each supporter is crowned with a mural crown as an emblem of civic responsibility.
The supporters stand upon a 'Compartment', which presents in partly conventionalised form, the coast of Glamorgan with its headlands and inlets, beaches and cliffs. The sheaves of wheat commemorate the agricultural activities of the Vale.


WREXHAM COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR BWRDEISTREF SIROL WRECSAM

ARMS: Vert semee of Ermine spots Argent two Crosiers in saltire on a Chief wavy Or a Lion passant guardant Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert out of a Mural Crown Gules masoned Argent a Mount Vert thereon in front of an Oak Tree proper fructed Or a Dragon passant Gules resting the dexter forefoot on a Lozenge Sable fimbriated Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Dragon Gules gorged with a Collar dancetty and supporting with the interior forefoot a Staff erect Or flying therefrom a forked Pennon Vert the dexter dragon charged on the shoulder with the Astronomical Symbol for Mars and the sinister with a Cogwheel Or.

Motto 'LABOR OMNIA VINCIT' - Hard work overcomes all things.
Granted ?, to the former Wrexham Maelor Borough Council.

The Borough of Wrexham Maelor was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Wrexham, the Maelor Rural District, part of the Harwarden Rural District and part of the Wrexham Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

wrexham cbc arms

The green field is common with the arms of the Wrexham RDC and the ermine spots are from the arms of the Borough of Wrexham. The crossed crosiers common to the arms of both former Wrexham authorities, represent Valle Crucis Abbey and it is said the grazing land in the district. The blue lion on gold is from the heraldry of the Hanmers of Maelor and the wave represents the River Dee in an heraldic map of the new area.
The red mural crown symbolizes brick-making and Madog ap Meredydd's castle at Overton. The Welsh red dragon rests a foot on a black diamond edged with gold, for coal and other mineral wealth, and the tree stands for forestry and the rural areas.
The Welsh dragons hold a green pennon for agriculture, and the other emblems represent iron founding and engineering.
The motto is from Virgil.


TOWN COUNCILS

ABERGAVENNY TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF Y FENNI

ARMS: Gules a Saltire Argent between a Rose in chief and two Fleurs-de-Lis in fesse and a Portcullis chained in base Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon the Trunk of a Tree fessewise eradicated and sprouting to the dexter proper a Bull passant Argent pied and unguled Sable gorged with a Collar and Chain reflexed over the back and charged on the body with two Fleurs-de-Lis Or.

Motto 'HOSTES NUNC AMICI' - Foes now friends.
Granted 27th March 1901, to the Abergavenny Borough Council. Transferred by Order made 19th April 1976.

abergavenny tc arms

The white saltire is from the heraldry of Nevill, Marquess of Abergavenny. The rose and portcullis were used as badges by the Nevills to indicate their descent from Joan de Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt and wife of Nevill, first Earl of Westmorland. The fleurs-de-lis, royal emblems, denote the Marquess's descent, through John of Gaunt, from Edward III.
The pied bull is also derived from the Nevill crest and supporters.


ABERYSTWYTH TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF ABERYSTWYTH

ARMS: Or in chief two Lymphads Sable sails furled Argent flags and pennons flying to the sinister Gules and in base an open Book proper bound also Gules and clasped Gold inscribed on the pages with the Arabic numerals 1277 fessewise also Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Or Sable and Gules a representation of the Castle Tower at Aberystwyth proper; Mantled Gules Sable and Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Dragon reguardant Gules supporting a Staff Or flying therefrom a Pennon Sable charged with a Garb Gold and on the sinister side a Lion reguardant Sable supporting a like Staff flying therefrom a Pennon Gules charged with a winged Wheel Or.
BADGE Within two Leeks the roots crossed in saltire proper a Lion rampant reguardant Sable.

Motto 'GORAU MOES GWASANAETH' - The best way of life is service.
Granted 15 May 1961, to the Aberystwyth Borough Council. Transferred by Order made 16th April 1975.

aberystwyth tc arms

The black ships record Aberystwyth's past importance as a port and ship building industry. The open book represents academic aspects in the town's life as represented by the University College of Wales and the National Library of Wales. The date 1277 is the date of the original Charter granted by Edward I.
The crest shows the Aberystwyth Castle Tower.
The red dragon refers to Wales and the black lion is taken from the arms of the Pryse family of Gogerddan, near Aberystwyth, who played an important part in the life of the Town and the County of Cardigan. The wheatsheaf signifies the importance of the town as a market centre, and its dependence on the agricultural hinterland and the winged wheel is a heraldic symbol for tourism and indicates the importance of the tourist trade to the town.


AMMANFORD TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF RHYDAMAN

ARMS: Per fesse dancetté Or and Sable in chief a Cross couped of the last.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Wreath of Oak Leaves Sable a demi Boar Gules armed Or.

Motto 'HANFOD TREF TREFN' - The essential of a good town is orderliness.
Granted 9th April 1952, to the Ammanford Urban District Council. Transferred by Order in Council 16th April 1975.

ammanford tc arms

The ancient ecclesiastical Parish of Betws and its beadhouse is represented by a cross on the golden shield. The cross also represents 'Cross Inn', which was the name by which the village was known before the district became urbanized. The hills of the district are shown in the black peaks at the bottom of the shield, and the basic coal industry is shown as a black base to the shield itself. The river Amman which passes through the district has its source in the Black Mountain.
The red wild boar represents 'Y Twrch Trwyth', because legend has it that King Arthur and his knights hunted the Wild Boar in the Amman Valley. This is perpetuated in the names of a number of farms within the District, eg:- Myddynfych, Glynynmeirch, Glynmoch, etc. The wreath of oak leaves conveys the impression of Tirydail (Land of the Leaves), a small hamlet within the Urban District.


BARRY TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF Y BARRI

ARMS: Or three Bars gemel Gules between in chief two Fleurs-de-Lys Azure and in base a Dragon passant of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon Water barry wavy proper a Lymphad Sable sail set Argent lozengy also Sable pennons flying Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Unicorn Argent armed crined and unguled Or gorged with a Chain of the last pendent thereform by a like Chain an Escutcheon that on the dexter Argent three bars gemel Gules and that on the sinister as the Arms.

Motto 'CADERNID CYFIAWNDER CYNNYDD' - Stability, justice, progress.
Granted 31st October 1939, to the Barry Borough Council. Transferred by Order made 19th April 1976.

barry tc arms

The bars gemel or pairs of barrulets are from the arms of the De Barri family and the fleurs-de-lis are from the heraldry of Lord Davies of Llandinam. The red dragon is that of Wales.
The ship with the black diamonds on its sail alludes to the coal exported from Barry.
The supporters are those of the Earl of Plymouth, suitably differenced.


BLAENAVON TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly wavy Sable and Or in the first and fourth quarters a Key wards upwards and to the dexter and in the second and third quarters a Lozenge all counterchanged.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Circlet of Lozenges conjoined Sable a dexter Cubit Arm in Armour proper charged on the wrist with a Buckle fessewise Or the hand grasping a Sword in bend sinister with blade bent downwards also proper hilt and pomel Gold.

Motto 'AT SPES NON FRACTA' - Yet hope is not broken.
Granted 12th May 1952, to the Blaenavon Urban District Council.

blaenavon tc arms

The black lozenges refer to the coal industry. The keys, crest and motto are derived from the heraldry of the Kennard fmily, who concerned in the formation of the Blaenavon Coal and Iron Company.


BRECON TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF ABERHONDDU

ARMS: Vert a Pall wavy Argent thereon another Azure over all a Mantle of Estate Gules doubled Ermine.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or a Long Bow and a Pitch-fork interlaced in saltire proper; Mantled Vert doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Eagle wings elevated and addorsed Or the under wing charged with a Roundel per pale Vert and Argent thereon an open Book proper bound Gules edged Gold and on the sinister side a Dragon Gules wings elevated and addorsed the underwing charged with a Bezant thereon the Roman numerals XXIV Sable each standing on a representation of a Walled Town in front of the Brecon Beacons.
BADGE: A Roundel Vert charged with a Mantle of Estate Gules doubled Ermine encircled by a Civic Wreath proper and ensigned by a Mural Crown Or.

Motto 'CANMOL DY FRO A THRIG YNO' - Commend thy locality and dwell therein.
Granted 20th July 1962, to the Brecknock Borough Council.

brecon tc arms

The red mantle lined with ermine is a device long associated with the Town of Brecon and which for more than 400 years has been the Borough Badge. The white and blue wavy pall represents the three rivers which have their confluence at Brecon, namely the Usk, the Honddu and the Tarell. These are placed upon a green field representing the countryside.
The long bow is in allusion to Brecon's long military tradition, and the hay fork to the position the Town enjoys as the centre of an agricultural area.
The gold eagle stands for St. John the Evangelist, in allusion to the Cathedral Church of St. John the Evangelist, and is differenced by a green and white rounded charged on the wing by an open book. The Dragon of Wales needs no explanation, and is here differenced by a rounded charged with XXIV referring to the XXIV Regiment, South Wales Borderers who on the 11th June, 1948, received the Freedom of the Borough. The compartment is a conventional repre­sentation of Brecon as an ancient walled town behind which can be seen the twin Brecon Beacons.


BRIDGEND TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF PEN-Y-BONT AR OGWR

ARMS: Vert a Salmon leaping to the dexter proper on a Chief Sable a Bridge of two arches masoned Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Raven proper between two Garbs Or.

Motto 'A VO PENN BIT PONT' - He who will be chief, let him be a bridge.
Granted 18th June 1951, to the Bridgend Urban District Council.

bridgend tc arms

The green field suggests pasture land and the salmon refers to the name of the River Ogwr. The bridge stands for Bridgend.
The raven alludes to Lord Dunraven and the wheatsheaves are for agriculture.


CARMARTHEN TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Castle triple-towered between two Ostrich Feathers erect in fesse Argent on each of the outer towers a Cornish Chough proper respecting the centre tower and in base a Lion passant reguardant Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Fisherman carrying a Coracle proper.

Motto 'RHYDDID HEDD A LLWYDDINT' - Freedom, peace and prosperity.
Granted 9th April 1936, to the Carmarthen Borough Council.

carmarthen tc arms

The arms were based on a seal in previous use. The feathers are from the insignia of the Princes of Wales, and the lion may have been derived from the arms ascribed to Cadell, Prince of South Wales in the last part of the ninth century.
The crest represents the salmon and sewin fishing industry, in connection with which the coracle is still in use.


CONNAH'S QUAY TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert on Water Barry wavy in base charged with three Salmon naiant proper a Lymphad Or the sail quarterly Gold and Gules a Bendlet Sable.
CREST: Out of circlet of Steel Flames proper therein a demi Dragon Gules holding between the claws a Cross Fleuretty engrailed Sable; Mantled Vert doubled Argent.

.

Motto 'LLWYDDIANT O DDIWYDIANT' - Success through industry.
Granted 30th January 1961, to the Connah's Quay Urban District Council.

connahs quay udc arms

The shield combines references to the three districts of Connah's Quay, Wepre and Golftyn. The ship is represents Connah's Quay, and the sail bears the arms of William de Malbank or Malbedeng, Baron of Nantwich under the Earldom of Chester, who held Wepre in Mediaeval times. The waves and salmon refer to the River Dee and its fisheries, for which Golftyn was the local centre. The green background is a reminder of the hills, woods and natural amenities which form the background to the industrial scene, and also of the green shield with white stag attributed to Cynwrig Fychan, a descendent of the Old Welsh tribal chief Llywarch Holbrwch to whom these arms were assigned by the Tudor Heralds. Cynwrig held "Wepra" and its environs.
The mantling is in the Welsh National colours of green and white. The crest refers to the town's modern industries and its situation in Flintshire. The circlet of steel and the flames refer to the local steelworks and power station. The dragon of Wales is in the same attitude and position as in the crest of the County Council. It holds the distinctive black cross of Edwyn, Lord of Tegeingl, the district which covered the modern Deeside; this cross is the basis of the County arms, and appears in the Device of the Flintshire Technical College at Connah's Quay.


CRICKHOWELL TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fess wavy Or and Gules a Fess enhanced wavy barry wavy Azure and Argent in chief between a Salmon leaping in bend sinister and a Ram's Head caboshed all proper a Pale Sable thereon a Garb Gold in base three Towers triple-towered also Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure a Dragon passant Gules supporting with the dexter claw a Longbow stringed Or. Mantled Azure doubled Argent.

Motto 'OPORTET NOS PROGREDI’ - It behoves us to progress.
Granted Granted 10th February 1960, to the Crickhowell Rural District Council. I have no information whether the use by the Town Council is officially sanctioned.

crickhowell tc arms

The wavy fess, depicted blue and white across the centre of the shield represents the River Usk flowing through the district which is largely mountainous in character. As Crickhowell itself stands on the banks of the Usk, a river famous for its fishing, the salmon represents the fishing pursuits of the district. The wheat sheaf, depicted in gold on a black vertical band, indicates the general agricultural background as well as the ancillary industries. The ram's head represents the considerable sheep rearing that is carried on in the district. The red background and the triple turreted towers, depicted in silver on it were the arms traditionally borne by Howell, Prince of Caerleon-upon-Uske.
The red Dragon is the national emblem of Wales, supporting a bow with its right claw. The bow illustrates the association with the Welsh bowmen at Agincourt.


FLINT TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fess wavy Zzure and barry wavy of eight Argent and of the first in chief upon a Rock issuant proper a Castle of two towers Or and in base an Ancient three-masted Ship sail furled pennons flying Gold.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Fleurs-de-Lis Argent and as many Mullets Or set alternately upon a Rim Silver in front of Flames proper a demi eagle displayed Gold.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Dragon Gules charged on the shoulder with a Rose Or barbed and seeded proper supporting between the forelegs an Ostrich Feather erect Argent; the whole upon a Compartment of Rocks proper.
BADGE: Upon a Pellet environed by a Chaplet of Roses Or barbed seeded and leaved proper in front of an Ostrich Feather erect Argent a Castle as in the Arms.

Motto 'CASTELLUM SUPRA FLUVIUM' - A castle on a river .
Granted 10th October 1962, to the Flint Borough Council. Transferred by Order made 16th April 1975.

Picture and information courtesy of Laurence Jones.

flint tc arms

The castle upon a rock and ship are taken from the ancient borough seal and show that Flint is a sea port with a castle.
The crest symbolically represents the steel industry.
The red dragons represent Wales and the golden roses are from badge of Edward I, who founded the town and built the castle. The ostrich feathers are from the badge of the Prince of Wales. They stand upon a rocky compartment, depicting the area's rugged coastline and mountains.


HAVERFORDWEST TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF HWLFFORDD

ARMS: Barry wavy Argent and Azure a Lymphad sails set proper and flags flying Gules on a Chief Vert a Castle triple-towered between two Plumes each of [three] Ostrich Feathers Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert out of the Battlements of an hexagonal Tower a demi Man winding a Horn proper habited per pale Vert and Argent on his head a Steel Cap proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Dragon Gules the undersides of the wings charged with a Cross Or thereon five Cinquefoils Sable and on the sinister side a Lion Sable about the neck an Ancient Crown [Eastern or antique crown] with a Chain reflexed over the back Or.

Motto 'O LECTOR SALVE COELI PATEANT TIBI VALVE' - O reader hail, may the Gates of Heaven stand open for thee.
Granted 5th October 1966, to the Borough and County of the Town of Haverford alias Haverfordwest. Transfered by Order made 16th April 1975.

haverfordwest tc arms

The blue and white waves are a reminder of the importance of the River Cleddau, which was used to bring most of the trade into the centre of Haverfordwest. The ship and the castle are taken from the obverse and reverse of the Common Seal, refering to the port and castle. The feathers refer to the granting of a charter to the town by Edward, Prince of Wales, in 1479.
The figure on the crest is also derived from the Common Seal, his jerkin is coloured white and green, which were those worn by the Prince of Wales's Welsh troops fighting in the French campaigns.
The red dragon represents Wales and the gold cross and cinquefoils (not shown in image) on its wing are from the arms of the See of St. Davids. The black lion with gold collar and chain is derived from the arms of Philipps of Picton, a family closely associated with the town.
The motto is also taken from the Common Seal.


LLANDUDNO TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF LLANDUDNO

ARMS: Barry wavy of eight Azure and Argent on a Mount in base a representation of the Church of St. Tudno at Llandudno proper on a Chief per pale Or and Gules two Lions passant guardant counterchanged.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert charged with two pierced Mullets Argent a Dragon passant Gules resting the dexter fore claw on an Escutcheon per bend sinister Ermine and Ermines a Lion rampant Or.

Motto 'HARDD HAFAN HEDD' - Beautiful Haven of peace.
Granted 14th July 1959, to the Llandudno Urban District Council.

Property of Llandudno Town Council used with permission. Not to be reproduced without permission.

llandudno tc arms

The shield shows the ancient church of St. Tudno on the Great Orme overlooking the sea, represented by the blue and white waves. The two lions from the arms of the Welsh Princes of Gwynedd.
The dragon is that of Wales and supports a shield bearing the arms of the Mostyn family, and the hill on which he stands bears two spur-rowels from the arms of the Bishops of Bangor, who had a Palace on the hill at Gogarth.
The motto is the Welsh version of the phrase used by Queen Elizabeth of Roumania in the year 1890 to describe Llandudno.


MAESTEG TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF MAESTEG

ARMS: Or three Lozenges Sable in pale between two Flaunches indented Vert.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert a demi Dragon issuant Gules supporting a Celtic Cross Or.

Motto 'GORAU GWEITHIO-CYD WEITHIO' - The best service is co-operation.
Granted 4th February 1970, to the Maesteg Urban District Council.

measteg tc arms

The gold background or field refers to the Maesteg, which means 'fair field'. On either side of the valley in which Maesteg lies are hills and these have been symbolised by the two arcs of a circle, these are green to suggest agriculture and indented to underline the fact that they symbolise hills. The black diamonds are used to symbolise coal; Three are shown on the shield to represent the three collieries, Caerau, Coegnant and St. John's.
The wreath at the base of the crest is of the Welsh colours, silver and green and the Welsh dragon supports a Celtic Cross, symbolising the Church at the head of the Valley. It is fitting that a symbol of the church should dominate not only the valley, but also the Coat of Arms.


MONMOUTH TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure three Chevronels Or over all a Fesse Gules; the shield ensigned with a Mural Crown of the second.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion guardant murally crowned Or and on the sinister side a Heraldic Antelope Argent gorged with a Mural Crown Or.

Motto 'MONEMUS ET MUNIMUS' - We counsel and protect.
Granted 8th August 1946, to the former Monmouth Borough Council.

monmouth tc arms

The arms were associated with the town long before they were officially granted. They appear to be a variation of the arms of the family De Monmouth, which were probably based on those of De Clare. The mural crown represent civic government. The supporters are those of King Henry V, who was born at Monmouth, with mural crowns in substitution for royal crowns, for difference.


PEMBROKE TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Or six Chevronels Gules within a Bordure quarterly Argent and Azure charged with twelve Martlets those on the Argent of the second and those on the Azure of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Castle with three Towers the outer two steepled proper an Anchor Sable.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion Gules charged on the shoul­der with a Portcullis chained Or and on the sinister side a Lion Argent charged on the shoulder with a Tudor Rose each gorged with a Naval Crown Gold

Motto 'UNG NOUS SERVONS' - We serve as one.
Granted 12th September 1950, to the Pembroke Borough Council.

pembroke tc arms

The chevronels are those of Gilbert de Clare, first Earl of Pembroke, while in the border the red martlets on white are from the arms of William de Valence, Earl of Pembroke 1251-96, and the gold martlets on blue are from the arms of Jasper Tudor who was created Earl of Pembroke in 1453.
The castle and anchor stand for Pembroke town and dock.
The red lion is derived from the arms of William the Marshal, who was Earl of Pembroke 1199-1219, and was succeeded in the earldom by his five sons. The white lion is from the heraldry of the Herbert family, who have held the Earldom of Pembroke since 1468. The naval crowns refer to Pembroke Dock, with particular reference to the former Royal Naval Dockyard, and the portcullis and rose are badges of King Henry VII, who was born at Pembroke Castle in 1457.
The motto is a variation of that of the Herbert Earls of Pembroke, Ung je serviray.


PORTHCAWL TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Azure and Gules on a Chevron wavy between in chief two Eagles displayed and in base a Lion rampant Argent a Chevron wavy Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours two Dragons' Legs embowed Gules supporting an Anchor erect Or fouled Sable.
BADGE: A fouled Anchor Azure enfiled with a Circlet of ten Escallops conjoined Or.

Motto 'ARF DOETH YW PWYLL' - Reason is the weapon of the wise or The weapon of the wise is care.
Granted Granted 1st March 1965, to the Porthcawl Urban District Council.

Property of Porthcawl Town Council used with permission. Not to be reproduced without permission.

porthcawl tc arms
porthcawl badge
Badge

The division of the shield into red and blue and the white lion is derived from the arms of Herbert - anciently and for a long period Lords of the Manor. The two white eagles are taken from the arms of Blundell, at the time of the grant a member of that family was the Lady of the Manor. The white wavy Chevron charged with a wavy blue Chevronel alludes to the "Weare" or Port.
The anchor refers to the Port and "Seaside" character of Porthcawl supported on either side by a dragon's leg - taken from the Red Dragon of Wales.
The Badge includes the anchor which is the emblem hitherto used by the Council - it is coloured blue in reference to the sea. The escallops, again, are an allusion to the seaside character of the resort whither people make pilgrimage in search of health and recreation.


PRESTATYN TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Azure and Or on a Mount in base Vert a Castle triple towered on a Chief Argent a Rose Gules barbed and seeded between two Sprigs of Oak fructed proper.
CREST: Out of a Circlet Azure charged with three Crescents Or a demi Dragon Gules supporting a Tree Stock raguly in bend proper. Mantled Azure doubled Or.

Motto 'CYNYDDAF A LLAWENYCHAF’ - I grow and I rejoice.
Granted September 2nd 1964, to the Prestatyn Urban District Council. Transferred on December 10th 1975 under the provisions of the local Government Act 1972.

prestatyn tc arms

The blue and gold waves represent the sea and sands, and the grassy mound represents the local uplands. The castle is an heraldically stylized one referring to the strongholds that have indicated the strategic position of Prestatyn from pre-Norman days until the late thirteenth century, under the lordship of the Banastres and Crèvecoeurs. For many generations Prestatyn and Meliden were held by the Conwy family now represented by Lord Langford. The red rose is a principle emblem in the Conwy arms, and this appears to commemorate the long association of the that family with the town. The rose is also an obvious allusion to the fame of Prestatyn as the ‘Rose Town of North Wales’ and, with two sprigs of oak referring to the abundant woodlands, especially Coed-yr-Esgob and Coed Bell, suggests the natural amenities which are so characteristic of Prestatyn.
The decorative mantling is in the basic colours of the shield, the blue and gold of the sea and sands. The blue circlet with three gold crescents alludes to the rapid growth of this seaside town, and from it rises a derivative of the device formerly used in the Council’s seal — a tree-trunk supported by the Welsh dragon, shown as he appears in the crest of Clwyd.
The motto is from Seneca’s “Epistulae”.


RHYL TOWN COUNCIL ~ CYNGOR TREF Y RHYL

ARMS: Tenny a Pile barruly wavy Argent and Azure over all a Fish-Weir Sable staked Gules in fess between a Lymphad sail set pennon and flags flying Gules and in base a Salmon naiant proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount Vert a Dragon sejant Gules supporting a Staff proper flying therefrom a Banner of the Arms.

Motto 'YR HAFAN DÊG AR FIN Y DÔN' - The fair haven at the edge of the waves.
Granted 1st August 1967, to the Rhyl Urban District Council. Transferred by Order made 27th July 1983.

rhyl tc arms

The basic colour of the shield is known as Tenny, derived from the French word Tenné, meaning a tawny colour, and is a direct reference to one of the possible meanings of the name Rhyl, namely a sandbank, and also to the beaches for which the resort is justly famous. The colour is a very rarely used heraldic tincture and the arms have the unique distinction of being the first civic arms in the British Isles to be granted with a Tenny field. The blue and white pile symbolises the sea and port at Rhyl giving access to the River Clwyd. The word "Clwyd" includes amongst its meanings a moveable hurdle or wattle and the River Clwyd is represented by the wattle extending across the shield. The heraldic ship and the salmon in the shield represent the sailing which was popular at the resort and both the fishing industry and the fishing sport of the resort. The colour red has been used in design as a reference to the Principality of Wales.
Another probable meaning of the word "Rhyl" is "hill" or "hillock" and for this reason a green mound has been incorporated above the wreath and on top of which sits the Red Dragon of Wales holding a banner repeating the arms.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page