tweed, tyne & tees map (current)
The Tweed, Tyne and Tees Area is coterminious with the North East England Government Office Region. I have named it after the rivers Tweed, Tyne and Tees. All the councils within the area are now unitary authorities.
It includes the historic counties of Northumberland, Durham and part of the North Riding of Yorkhire.
In terms of former administrative counties it includes Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham and Cleveland.
In terms of ceremonial counties is includes Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham and North Yorkshire (that area south of the River Tees).
  1. Northumberland UA
  2. Newcastle-upon-Tyne UA Tyne & Wear
  3. North Tyneside UA Tyne & Wear (still to be added)
  4. Gateshead UA Tyne & Wear
  5. South Tyneside UA Tyne & Wear
  6. Sunderland UA Tyne & Wear
  7. County Durham UA
  8. Hartlepool UA Durham (no arms)
  9. Darlington UA Durham
  10. Stockton-on-Tees UA Durham/N Yorks
  11. Middlesbrough UA N Yorks
  12. Redcar and Cleveland UA N Yorks


ARMS: Azure Or a Cross Or square pierced of the field between four Lions rampant Argent each ducally crowned Gold and grasping in the dexter claw a Sword in bend sinister proper pommel and hilt also Gold as many Lozenges Sable in the fess point a Rose Argent barbed and seeded proper; the Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Gold.
BADGE A Roundel Argent charged with three Bars wavy Azure overall a Lion rampant as in the Arms the whole environed by a Chaplet of Wheat Or and debruising a Cross flory Gold.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

Granted 10th May 1974.

durham cc arms
county durham badge

The Arms are based on those of the former County Council granted in 1961. Before that date the Council had used the Arms of the See of Durham because the Council could be said to have succeeded, in some measure, to the palatinate juristiction formerly enjoyed by the palatine Bishops of Durham. In order to stress this succession the lions are now depicted grasping swords and wearing coronets, used by the Bishops in conjunction with the mitre. As a further mark of difference the cross was charged with five black diamonds, which are generally used to represent coal and the industries dependent upon it. In 1974 the former County's area of juristiction was greatly altered, principally by the addition of an area of the North Riding of Yorkshire. In order to recognise this alteration the central lozenge in the former Arms has been replaced by a white rose.
The Arms were ensigned by a mural crown in the manner normally reserved for County Councils.


ARMS: Paly of eight Or and Gules per fesse embattled all counterchanged.
CREST: On a wreath of the Colours in front of a Castle proper thereon a Lion passant tail extended Azure charged with an Escutcheon of the Arms.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Or gorged with a Collar paly Gold and Gules and supporting a Staff proper flying therefrom a Banner of the Arms.

Granted 4th December 1951.

northumberland cc arms

The arms are based on the arms attributed by the medieval heralds to the ancient Kingdom of Bernicia - Paly of eight gold and gules. Bernicia formed the northern part of the present County and its arms may have been suggested by the Venerable Bede's reference to 'a banner made of gold and purple' which was hung over the tomb of St. Oswald, the first Christian King of Northumbria. The embattled division was added to suggests Hadrian's Wall and Northumberland's position as a Border county.
The crest derives from the old castle badge of the County Sheriffs and the blue lion is that of the Percy family, Earls and Dukes of Northumberland, Lords Warden of the East and Middle Marches.
The supporting lions are from the arms attributed to the Saint and King Oswald.


ARMS: Per pale Azure and Gules on a Chevron Argent between in chief a representation of St. Cuthbert's Cross proper and a Shorthorn Bull's Head caboshed and in base a Garb Or enfiled by a Circlet of Steel proper a Chevronel wavy Azure on a Chief Argent a representation of the Steam Engine "Locomotion" and a Tender proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount Vert issuing from a Mural Crown Or two Lions rampant combatant Argent supporting between them with the forelegs a Civic Mace Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter a Lion crowned with a Crest Coronet Or on the sinister a Wyvern sejant severing the neck a Falchion proper hilt and pommel Or.

Motto 'OPTIMA PETAMUS' - Let us seek the best.
Granted 1974?

darlington bc arms

The steam engine recalls the Stockton and Darlington Railway's first steam engine "Locomotion", which dates from 1825. The St. Cuthberts cross commemorates the legend of the monks of Lindisfarne fleeing the Danish invaders, who carried with them the body of the Saint and eventually came to Darlington. On the spot where the body lay an early Saxon Church was built, hence the dedication of the parish church. Both the engine and the cross featured in the arms of the County Borough of Darlington. The bull's head represents Darlington's history as a market town, and the pioneering experiments in breeding shorthorn cattle, which took place in the area. The wavy chevron, the wheatsheaf and the circlet of steel, refer to the River Tess, agriculture and local industry. All these emlems are derived from the arms of the Darlington RDC.
The mural crown is a symbol of civic government, as is the mace. The two lions from the former Darlington crest are derived from the arms of the See of Durham and hence link also with the arms of the County Council.
The supporters are also derived from those of the former County Borough, with their positions reversed. They where added to commemorate the Queen's visit in 1967, the lion being a royal emblem. The wyvern refers to the legend of the slaying of the "Sockburn Worm" by Sir John Conyers. The Manor of Sockburn lies a few miles south east of Darlington, on the River Tees. The estates were granted to the Conyers family by the King soon after the Norman Conquest, in recognition of the brave deed. A condition attached to the gift is that the first time a new Bishop of Durham enters the diocese he must be presented with the falchion as he crosses Croft Bridge.


ARMS: Or a Chief Azure overall five Pallets counterchanged.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Azure a Circular Blade of a Plough proper dimidiating an Annulet embattled on the outer edge Or containing two Fusils conjoined palewise Sable; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS On the dexter side a Horse Sable unguled and maned Or supporting a Length of Rail Argent and on the sinister side a Male Griffin Sable armed and membered Or holding in the sinister foreclaw a Thunderbolt Or.
BADGE A Roundel quarterly Or and Azure in chief issuing from the fess a Man's Head and Neck all proper in base issuing from the fess a Portcullis with Chains counter changed.

Granted 1975?

The Metropolitan Borough of Gateshead was formed by the amalgamation of the former County Borough of Gateshead, the Blaydon Urban District, the Felling Urban District, the Ryton Urban District, the Whickham Urban District and part of the Chester-le-Street Rural District.

gateshead mbc arms

The blue and gold pallets, form a pictograph of a gate (or portcullis), which when combined with helm (or head), represent the name Gateshead. The portcullis was a feature in the arms and crest of the former County Borough of Gateshead.
The mural crown, here coloured blue, is from the arms of the Durham County Council and represents the areas formerly in that county. The plough, half cog-wheel and black diamonds (coal mining) symbolise the amalgamation of the rural and urban elements in the new authority.
The length of rail is a reminder of the former importance of Gateshead as a railway centre.


*ARMS: Argent a Lion rampant Azure on a Chief Sable an Estoile between two Ships Or sails Argent.
*CREST: Upon a Mural Crown Or a Lion passant Azure supporting with the dexter fore paw an Anchor Gold; Mantled Azure doubled Argent.

Motto 'ERIMUS' - We shall be.
Granted 1976.

Picture thanks to The Heraldry Society.

middlesbrough bc arms

The design is largely based on the arms of the former County Borough of Middlesbrough. The blue lion is from the arms of the Brus family, who after the Norman Conquest were given many Lordships in this area. Robert de Brus of Skelton founded a priory where Middlesbrough now stands in the twelfth century. The ships and the anchor are for shipbuilding and maritime trade. The star is to commemorate Captain James Cook, who was born at Marton. Captain Cook's arms granted several years after his death show a globe of the world between two pole stars, and the College of Arms gave special consent to the incorporation of part of those arms in the new Council arms because of Middlesbrough's strong link with the famous circum-navigator.
The mural crown is a common symbol of municipal government.
The motto was suggested by the Brus family motto - "Fuimus" - We Have Been. Middlesbrough chose to have "Erimus" - We Shall Be.


ARMS: Gules three Castles triple towered Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Castle as in the Arms issuant therefrom a demi Lion guardant supporting a Flagstaff Or flying therefrom a forked Pennon of the Arms of Saint George.
SUPPORTERS On either side a Sea Horse proper crined and finned Or.

Motto 'FORTITER DEFENDIT TRIUMPHANS' - Triumphing by brave defence
Arms recorded and confirmed, crest and supporters granted 16th August 1575. Certified April 1954.

The City of Newcastle upon Tyne was formed by the amalgamation of the former City and County Borough of Newcastle upon Tyne, the Gosforth Urban District, the Newburn Urban District and part of the Castle Ward Rural District.

newcastle upon tyne city arms

The castle motif goes back to earliest times for originally the town took its name from the "New Castle" built by order of Robert Curthose, eldest son of William the Conqueror, in 1080 and a castle was depicted on the twelfth century common seal. The earliest extant example of the three silver castles on a red shield, dating from about 1400, is in the window on the north side of the chancel in St. John's church.
The castle motif is repeated in the crest which is a golden demi-lion issuing from a silver castle. His fore paws grasp the golden staff of St. George's pennon depicted in red on a silver ground.
The supporters, two mythical seahorses, are a reminder that Newcastle is a seaport.
The motto was adopted during the Civil War, probably following the stubborn defence of the town against the Scots in 1644.


ARMS: Azure in front of two Pick-Axes in saltire heads upwards a rep­resentation of the Prison Gate as appears on the Seal of the Wapentake of Langbaurgh proper in chief six Fleur-de-Lys Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon Water barry wavy Argent and Azure between two Rocks proper a Clipper Ship in full sail all proper pennons Azure.
SUPPORTERS: Upon a Compartment composed of a Mount Vert on the dexter side a Lion Or maned Argent gorged with a Chain dependant therefrom a Roundel Azure charged with a Glass Chemistry Flask proper showing liquid Gules on the sinister side a Cleveland Bay Horse proper gorged with a Chain dependant thereform a Roundel Azure charged with Steel Ingot proper.
*BADGE: On a Roundel Azure frimbriated and set with six Fleurs-de-Lys Or a rep­resentation of the Prison Gate as appears on the Seal of the Wapentake of Langbaurgh proper.

Granted ?, to the Langbaurgh-on-Tess Borough Council.

The Borough of Redcar and Cleveland was formed (as the Borough of Langbaurgh-on-Tees) by the amalgamation of the part of the County Borough of Teeside, the Guisborough Urban District, the Loftus Urban District, the Saltburn and Marske-by-the-Sea Urban District and the Skelton and Brotton Urban District.

redcar and cleveland bc arms
redcar and cleveland badge

The six fleurs-de-lis represent the six former districts united to form a new district and the prison gate was used on the Great Seal of the original Wapentake of Langbaurgh. A wapentake was an old division of the North Riding of Yorkshire. The crossed pickaxes depict the association of the East Cleveland area with the former ironstone mining industry.
The clipper ship, many of which once sailed from the local ports, is taken from the former Borough of Redcar arms and denotes the area’s close affinity with the sea.
The gold English lion, here made distinctive by having a silver mane, represents the strength of purpose of the area and the Cleveland Bay stallion signifies the presence of the Cleveland hills in the district and the agricultural aspects of the area. The emblems on the two small roundels represent the major industries of the area - iron and steel and chemicals. The compartment is made up of moorland, to suggest the North Yorkshire Moors National Park, much of which lies in the Borough.
The motto refers to Captain Cook's ship the Endeavour.


*ARMS: Vert an open Book proper bound and clasped between three Escutcheons Or a Chief wavy barry wavy of four Azure ans Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert issuant from a Mural Crown Or a demi-Lion Argent gorged with a Collar wavy Azure charged with a Bar wany Argent and holding between the paws an Anchor Azure roped proper.

Granted 21st February 1987.

The Metropolitan Borough of South Tyneside was formed by the amalgamation of the County Borough of South Shields, the Borough of Jarrow, the Boldon Urban District and the Hebburn Urban District.

south tyneside mbc arms

The small gold shields of a green background provide a play on the name 'South Shields'. The open book has a double purpose, alluding not only to the Boldon Buke, seen in the crest of the Boldon UDC, but also to Bede's Ecclesiastical History, from the arms of the Borough of Jarrow. The wavy blue and white chief represent the River Tyne, provides maritime symbolism and therefore indicate the seafaring traditions of the Borough.
The white lion refers to the Borough having formerly lain in the ancient County of Durham. The gold mural crown indicates the Council's Borough status. The collar around the lion's neck and the anchor, from the unofficial device of County Borough of South Shields, repeat the marine motif.


ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure overall a Chevron Pean.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Sable a Gateway embattled between two Towers Or the Portcullis raised Sable enfilling the portal an Anchor erect Gules; Mantled Azure double Argent.
SUPPORTERS On the dexter a Lion guardant and on the sinister a Sealion also guardant all Or.

Granted 4th August 1976.

The Borough of Stockton-on-Tees was formed from part of the County Borough of Teesside, part of the Stockton Rural District and part of the Stokesley Rural District. The part of the County Borough of Teesside included had formerly been the former Borough of Stockton-on-Tees, the Borough of Thornaby-on-Tees and the Billingham Urban District.

stockton-on-tees bc arms

The background of six white and blue waves represents the River Tees, over which a chevron with five golden tails is placed to represent the Corporate identity of the five former areas which came together to make up the Borough of Stockton-on-Tees.
The golden castle with two towers with the red anchor is depicted through the gateway, formed the main motif of the arms of the former Borough of Stockton-on-Tees. Here the castle represents the former castles at Stockton-on-Tees and that within the Stokesley Rural District, a part of which was incorporated within the new Borough boundaries. The anchor, whilst distinguishing the castle from that depicted on other arms, associates Stockton with its historic port and seafaring traditions.
The golden lion on the left represents the former areas of Thornaby-on-Tees Borough and Billingham Urban District. The sealion on the right represents Seal Sands and the former Stockton RDC.


ARMS: Azure between in chief and in base a Bar wavy Argent charged with a like Barrulet Azure a Crown flory Or the circlet charged with four Saltires couped Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure upon Water barry wavy Azure Argent Azure a Lymphad with Oars in action proper each Castle charged with two Crosses of Saint Cuthbert (one manifest) Or a Sail of the Arms pennon and flags Gules; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion Or amrned and languled Gules gorged with a Collar Argent fimbriated Sable charged with six Ears of Wheat proper (three manifest) dependent therefrom a Roundel per bend wavy Or and Azure charged with a Cross pommy Gules entwined by an Orle Argent standing on an Anchor the flukes inward Or and on the sinister side a Lion Azure amrned and languled Gules gorged with a Collar Argent fimbriated Gules charged with six Mullets also Gules (three manifest) dependent therefrom a Roundel per bend wavy Or and Azure charged with a Boar's Head close couped Gules armed Or standing on a Miner's Pick ward Or the head turned inwards also Gold.
BADGE: An Estoile Gules charged with a Crown flory Or the circlet charged with four Saltires couped Gules.

Motto 'NIL DESPERANDUM AUSPICE DEO' - With God as our leader there is no cause for despair.
Granted 1992?

The City of Sunderland was formed (as the Metropolitan Borough of Sunderland) by the amalgamation of the County Borough of Sunderland, the Hetton Urban District, the Houghton-le-Spring Urban District, the Washington Urban District, part of the Chester-le-Street Rural District and part of the Easington Rural District.

Picture and information thanks to Garry Dent.

sunderland city arms
sunderland badge

These replaced the former arms of the Metropolitan Borough of Sunderland, with the elevation to city status in 1992, in the fortieth year of Queen Elizabeth's reign.
The blue and white waves refer to the River Wear and maritime activities. The crown is a royal emblem and the four saltires, like the Roman numeral X, supposedly each represents ten years of Queen Elizabeth's reign. However, in the definitive painting, on the Letters Patent, the each crown has two and two half-saltires visible. Usually this implies another two and two half-saltires on the invisible half of the circlet. When used by the Council the crowns have four full saltires visible.
The ancient ship, returned to the same position as in the crest of the County Borough of Sunderland, alludes to the shipping traffic of the district, and the crosses are those of St Cuthbert, patron saint of the County of Durham.
The lions are based on the supporters of the former arms, with a change in colour. The collar of the left lion represents Hetton. Its twin collar is black and represents the railway laid down by George Stephenson to carry Hetton's coal to the Wear. Between the 'rails' are three ears of wheat, representing Hetton's agricultural interests and those of Burdon and Warden Law. The red cross pommy is the ancient symbol of St. Michael, the patron Saint of Houghton-le-Spring's Church and parish. The white orle, entwined with the cross is from the arms of the ancient Le Spring family, Norman lords of the manor. The collar of the right lion with three red stars, is taken from the stars and stripes of the Washington family. The boar's head is derived from the device of Houghton-le-Spring UDC. All these emblems formed part of the arms of the former Metropolitan Borough arms in varying positions. The gold anchor and pick are for the two main local industries, as in the two former Sunderland arms.
The motto has traditionally been used by Sunderland.



ARMS: Gules in chief a Castle and in base a Cross formy the uppermost limb between a Crescent and an Estoile of seven rays all within an Orle Argent.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of six Cross-crosslets set upon a Rim Or a Rock proper thereon a Boar passant Argent holding with the dexter forehoof a Bow in bend Gules; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Motto 'NEC TEMERE NEC TIMIDE' - Neither rashly nor timidly.
Granted 4 September 1959, to the Barnard Castle Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

barnard castle tc arms
No further imformation currently available.


ARMS: Gules on a Chevron Argent between three Garbs Or banded Vert a Grenade Sable fired proper all within a Bordure Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Limestone Cliff an Oak Tree fructed with broken branch and another growing therefrom proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Argent holding in the interior paw in a Steel Gaunlet a Cross Patonce Gold.

Motto 'NON MINIMA SED MAXIMA PETIMUS' - Not the least but the greatest we seek.?
Granted 20th September 1956, to the Aycliffe Development Corporation and later transferred to the Town Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

great aycliffe tc arms

The gold border represents the bounderies of the designated site of the new town of Newton Aycliffe and the white chevron alludes to the bridge over St. Cuthbert's Way linking the town with Aycliffe Trading Estate. The sheaves of corn are taken from the arms of the Eden Family, of whose Estate the site of the new town formed a part, and the grenade represents the Royal Ordnance Factory out of which the Trading Estate was converted.
The oak tree is a refers to the oak forests which formerly covered this part of the country from which wall taken the Saxon name "Acle" meaning "oak leaf" from which the name of Aycliffe was derived. One of the branches of the oak tree is broken and bent down to indicate the disappearance from the area of its oak forests and with a lesser branch the letter "A" thus forming a rebus on Aycliffe. The limestone cliff is included as a geological allusion.
The white lions are from the arms of the See of Durham, differenced with mail gauntlets in allsion to the military activities of the old Bishops of Durham. The crosses pattonce are derived from an old form of the arms of the See.


ARMS: Vert a Saltire Argent between in chief an Ancient Crown in base a Mitre and in fess two Garbs Or a Chief wavy barry wavy of six Azure and of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Fleshing Knife and a Beam Knife in saltire proper the upper handles joined by a Chain Or pendent therefrom a Fleece Gold banded Vert.

Granted 31st August 1953, to the Hexham Urban District Council.

hexham tc arms

The wavy blue and white chief refers to the River Tyne, that forms the town's northern boundary. The saltite refers to the dedication of Hexham Abbey, that since the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1537, has been the parish church of Hexham. The green field and sheaves refer to agriculture and the mitre to the former Bishopric of Hexham.
The crest refers to the fact that Hexham had been long famous for its manufacture of leather, together with tanning and other allied industries.


ARMS: Barry of ten Argent and Gules a Tower triple-turreted Or a Bordure Azure charged with eight Martlets Gold.

Motto 'INTER SYLVAS ET FLUMINA HABITANS' - Living among woods and streams.
Granted 20th May 1552, to the Borough of Morpeth. These arms were used by the Borough of Castle Morpeth between 1974 and 2009. Transferred to the Town Council by Order November 2010.

morpeth tc arms

The shield consists of a representation of the castle of the Norman family of De Merlay placed upon their arms. This is clearly stated in the grant by Norroy King-of-Arms

"Havynge knowledge of credyble p'sones of theyre fyrst fowndac'on I could nott wtowt grett Iniury of theyre fyrst fownder The noble and valyaunt knyght Sir Roger De Marlay assigne unto them any other Armes Then a p'cell of his Armes for p'petuall memory of his good wyll and benevolence towardes the sayde Towne so well begon and so longe contynued, which were to his preiudyce to have it forgotten and brought into oblyvyon."

The arms are the second earliest grant of arms accorded to a Civic Borough in England.


ARMS: Azure rising from Waves a Seagull affrontee proper on a Chief Or three Tridents' Heads Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure on Water barry wavy a Roman Ship proper with three Pennons flying to the dexter Gules the sail also proper charged with two Wings conjoined in lure Azure.

Motto 'SURGIMUS' - We rise.
Granted 19th June 1935, to the Saltburn and Maske-by-the-Sea Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

saltburn marske and new marske pc arms

The emblems refer to the district's seafaring interests and associations, while the gull indicates its aspirations, also expressed in the motto. The three tridents represent Saltburn, Marske, and New Marske, partners in the district, each with its place in the shield.


ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Sable a Cross Or charged with ten Gouttes de Sang in the first and fourth quarters a Lion rampant Argent and in the second and third quarters a Fleurs-de-Lys Gold.
CREST: Standing upon the Battlements of a Mural Crown a Salamander Sable enflamed proper grasping with the dexter claw a Sword erect also proper hilt and pomel Or.

Motto 'SPE NEMO RUET' - With hope nobody shall fail.
Granted 25th March 1952, to the Spennymoor Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

spenntmoor tc arms

The red and black quarters symbolise furnaces and coal workings. The lions and fleurs-de-lys are derived from the arms of the Attwoods and Coulsons, the two principal families responsible for the rise of Spennymoor. The gold cross is from the arms of the Durham County Council, and the blood-red drops recalls the combat at Butcher's Race which played a great part in the Battle of Neville's Cross.
The mural crown is emblematic of local government, here coloured black to denote the association with the coal industry. The salamander is from the arms of the Shafto family, but here coloured all black and holding a sword refering to the steel industry.
The motto plays on the name of the town, and also refers to the spirit which saved Durham at Butcher's Race and the faith which animated the pioneers of Spennymoor industries.

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page