SEVERN VALLEY AND MARCHES AREA
severn valley and the marches map (current)
The Severn Valley and Marches Area is formed from the western part of the East Midlands Government Office Region and the northern part of the South West Government Office Region. I have named it after the River Severn and the Welsh Marches.
It includes the historic counties of Shropshire, Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire.
In terms of former administrative counties it includes Shropshire, Hereford and Worcester, Gloucestershire and the northern part of Avon.
In terms of ceremonial counties is includes Shropshire, Hereforshire, Worcestershire, Gloucestershire and Bristol.
  1. Shropshire UA
  2. Telford and the Wrekin UA Salop (no arms)
  3. Herefordshire UA
  4. Malvern Hills Worcs (no arms)
  5. Wyre Forest Worcs (no arms)
  6. Bromsgrove Worcs
  7. Worcester Worcs
  8. Redditch Worcs
  9. Wychavon Worcs
  10. Forest of Dean Gloucs
  11. Gloucester Gloucs
  12. Tewkesbury Gloucs (no arms)
  13. CheltenhamGloucs
  14. Cotswold Gloucs
  15. Stroud Gloucs (no arms)
  16. South Gloucestershire UA Gloucs (no arms)
  17. Bristol UA

GLOUCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Gules and Or in chief two Fleeces and in base three Chevronels counterchanged on a Chief of the second a Billet Azure between two Billets Vert each charged with a Horseshoe Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion reguardant Gules gorged with a Mural Crown and resting the sinister paw upon a Horseshoe Or.

Motto 'PRORSUM SEMPER' - Ever forward.
Granted 10th December 1935.

gloucestershire cc arms

The chevrons are from the arms of the Clare Earls of Gloucester. The first horseshoe is derived from the old arms of the City of Gloucester, the second is from the arms of the Allen family, and the third is from the arms of the Cripps family. The fleeces represent the woollen industry.
The crest is based on that granted to the City of Gloucester in 1652.
The motto is that of the Allen family.


HEREFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL (UA)

ARMS: Gules on a Fesse wavy between in chief a Lion passant guardant Argent and in base a Herefordshire Bull's Head caboshed proper a Bar wavy Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion rampant Gules holding in the sinister claw a Fleece Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion guardant Or gorged with a Wreath of Hops fructed proper and on the sinister a Talbot Argent gorged with a Collar Or charged with three Apples proper.

Motto 'PULCHRA TERRA DEI DONUM' - This fair land is the gift of God.
Granted 28th February 1946, to the former Herefordshire County Council. Transferred to the present Herefordshire County Council by Order in Council in 1997.

In 1974 Herefordshire was merged with neighbouring Worcestershire to form the relatively short-lived County of Hereford and Worcester. On 1st April 1998 it was split out again, in the form of a unitary authority, with broadly the same borders as before.

herefordshire cc arms

The red background is taken form the arms of the City of Hereford and also represents the red earth of Herefordshire. The silver lion is from the arms of the City of Hereford, and in base is a Herefordshire Bull's head. The silver and blue wave represents the River Wye.
The crest is based on the arms of the Borough of Leominster, which feature a rampant lion holding a lamb and is a reference to the importance of agriculture to the county.
The gold Lion is that of England, differenced by a garland of hops around his neck. The talbot is taken from the arms of the Talbot family, Marcher Lords of Shrewsbury and Viscounts of Hereford. For difference he wears a gold collar charged with apples, an important product of the county.


WORCESTERSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent issuant from a Mount on a Base [wavy] barry wavy of four Argent and Azure a Pear Tree proper fructed Sable; the Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown Or.

Granted 21st May 1947, to the previous County Council.

Worcestershire was merged with Herefordshire on 1st April 1974 to form the County of Hereford and Worcester. On 1st April 1998 the County was newly constituted and Hereford and Worcester abolished.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce without permission of Worcestershire County Council.

worcestershire cc arms

The pear-tree has long been an emblem of the County and three black pears appear in the arms of the City of Worcester. These arms are said to have been adopted to mark the visit of Queen Elizabeth I to Worcester, when the loyal townsfolk transplanted a pear-tree under fruit from its orchard to the centre of the City. The blue and white waves undoubtedly refer to the River Severn.


BRISTOL CITY COUNCIL (UA) (GLOUCS)

ARMS: Gules on the sinister side a Castle with two towers domed all argent on each dome a Banner charged with the Cross of St. George the Castle on a Mount Vert the dexter base Water proper thereon a Ship of three masts Or the rigging Sable sailing from a port in the dexter tower her fore and main masts being visible and on each a round top of the fifth on the foremast a sail set and on the mainmast a sail furled of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules issuant from Clouds two Arms embowed and interlaced in saltire proper the dexter hand holding a Serpent Vert and the sinister holding a Pair of Scales Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Unicorn sejant Or armed maned and unguled Sable.
BADGE: On a Roundel Gules on the sinister side a Castle with two towers domed Argent on each dome a Banner charged with a Cross of St. George issuant from a port in the dexter tower thereof a Ship of three masts Or the fore and mainmasts being visible the rigging and round tops Sable on the foremast a Sail set and on the mainmast a Sail furled both Argent the whole encompassed by a Rope and issuant therefrom four Fleurs-de-Lys Or.

Motto 'VIRTUTE EN INDUSTRIA' - By virtue and industry.
Recorded and confirmed 24th August 1569. Badge granted 16th February 1983.

Picture and badge information courtesy of Laurence Jones.

bristol city arms
bristol badge
Badge

The arms clearly express the City's ancient character of a fortified port. They are traceable to the design on the 14th century seal of the Mayoralty showing the prow of a ship issuing from the portway of a castle. On another seal of the same century is a single-masted ship sailing towards a tower on which is a watchman beckoning to the steersman in the ship. This seal bears the inscription:

SECRETI CLAVIS SV PORT' NAVITA NAVIS
PORTA CVSTODIT PORT' VIGIL INDICE-PDIT


Mr Gale Pedrick in his book Borough Seals gives the following translation: 'I am the key of the secret port. The pilot steers the helm of the ship. The warden points out the port with his forefinger'. 'The position of the castle was such that it commanded the entrance to the ancient town', states Mr Pedrick. 'It had a secret port through which vessels of considerable build passed easily right into its area, the Avon being thus made to communicate with the ditch, and the archway towards which the ship is being guided is considered to represent this secret harbour'. Although the interesting detail of the warden pointing the way into the harbour is omitted from the arms, they dearly refer to Bristol's secret port.
The snake is said to represent Wisdom, and the scales Justice.
The badge consists of a roundel bearing the main charges from the City arms, while the encircling rope is for Bristol's maritime interests. The four fleurs-de-lys represent the points of a compass, and thus the City's role in exploration.


BROMSGROVE DISTRICT COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Vert a Crozier Or and a Connecting Rod in saltire threaded by a Sickle the handle in base proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Grassy Mount within a Grove of Beech Trees all proper a Boar statant Vert armed and unguled Or.
BADGE: A Crozier Or and a Connecting Rod in saltire interlaced by a Sickle the handle in base Gold.

Motto 'BY SERVICE WE GOVERN'.
Arms and Crest granted 12th November 1975. Badge granted 10th July 1989.

The Bromsgrove District was formed by the amalgamation of the Bromsgrove Urban District and the Bromsgrove Rural District.

bromsgrove dc cc arms
bromsgrove udc emblem
Emblem used by Bromsgrove UDC

The green background, like that of the Bromsgrove RDC arms, refers to the extensive Green Belt and rural areas. The golden Crozier recalls the close connections of much of the District of times past with the Bishops of Worcester, in particular, the east side of the District where there was a Bishop's Palace at Alvechurch much frequented by Bishop Latimer. The connecting rod represents modern industry - particularly the motor industry and the great forging works in the town and the sickle is represents ancient industry - this in Bromsgrove town was the manufacture of nails, but scythes and sickles were manufactured in the west of the District, the water-powered industry being centred upon Belbroughton.
The beech trees represent Frankley Beeches the well known landmark on the northern boundary of the District with Birmingham. Within the trees, depicted green with golden tusks and hooves, is the famous Bromsgrove Boar, used as an emblem by the Bromsgrove UDC, and the subject of medieval myth when the town stood in a forest.


CHELTENHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL (GLOUCS)

ARMS: Or a Chevron engrailed Gules between two Pigeons in chief and an Oak Tree eradicated in base proper on a Chief Azure a Cross flory Argent between two open Books also proper binding and clasps of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount between two Branches of Oak a Fountain thereon a Pigeon all proper.

Motto 'SALUBRITAS ET ERUDITIO' - Health and erudition.
Granted 26th February 1877, transferred by Order in Council 17th December 1976.

cheltenham bc arms

The cross is that of Edward the Confessor, to whom the Manor of Cheltenham at one time belonged. The Manor is consequently 'Terra Regis', and of 'Ancient Demesne'. The open books are emblematic of the educational advantages Cheltenham possesses and is so famed for, in the Ancient Foundation of Pate's Grammar School. The oak-trees and sprays are symbolic of the avenues of trees in the public promenades and streets, for which Cheltenham is also celebrated.
The crest embodies and denotes the legend of the discovery of the mineral waters, to which Cheltenham owed its rise as an inland watering place, and to which attention was drawn by flocks of pigeons resorting to a saline spring which rose to the surface.
The motto is indicative of the high repute in which Cheltenham is held as a health resort and place of learning. .


COTSWOLD DISTRICT COUNCIL (GLOUCS)

*ARMS: Vert in chief two Fleeces Argent each banded and ringed Or and in base on a Pile wavy reversed Argent a like Pile Azure.
*CREST: A Phoenix issuant proper from a Coronet of Fleur-de-Lys and holding in the beak an Annulet Or; Mantled Vert doubled Argent.
*SUPPORTERS: On either side a Dolphin Azure each gorged with a Chain and pendent therefrom a Woolpack Or corded Gules.

Motto 'UNITED WE SERVE'.
Granted 1976?.

The District of Cotswold was formed by the amalgamation of the Cirencester Urban District, the Cirencester Rural District, the North Cotswold Rural District, the Northleach Rural District and the Tetbury Rural District.

cotswold dc arms

The green background symbolizes the Cotswold Hills, and the blue represents the River Thames, the source of which is found near Kemble. The woolsacks, like those in the arms of the Northleach RDC, and the fleeces represent the famous Cotswold wool trade.
The phoenix has long been a badge of Cirencester and according to one theory symbolises the razing of Cirencester by the Saxons who rebuilt the town on the site of the former Roman Corinium, the second largest Roman City in England. The ring in the beak of the phoenix is the ring of unity.
The dolpins represent Tetbury and relate to a legend which tells of how dolphins saved the life of the Lord of the Manor of Tetbury, who was shipwrecked.


FOREST OF DEAN DISTRICT COUNCIL (GLOUCS)

ARMS: Vert in chief an Oak Tree couped of five branches each having two leaves and fructed of one acom and in base a Stag's Head caboshed the attires each of five tynes all Or all between two Flaunches Argent on each three Bars wavy Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Or charged with six Horseshoes three being manifest Sable a demi figure representing an ancient Forest of Dean Miner capped and habited Sable in his mouth a stick transfixing a Candle enflamed proper holding in the dexter hand a Pick erect and carrying over the sinister shoulder a Hod of Coal also proper.

Motto 'TWIXT SEVERN AND WYE'.
Granted 6th October 1975.

The District of Forest of Dean was formed by the amalgamation of the East Dean Rural District, part of the Gloucester Rural District, the Lydney Rural District, the Newent Rural District and the West Dean Rural District.

forest of dean dc arms

The green background and stag's head in gold, like that in the arms of East Dean RDC and Lydney RDC, typifies the ancient foresters' rights of 'vert and venison' and the royal hunting forest. The stylized heraldic oak tree with its five branches and acorns represents the new Forest of Dean District comprising five former rural districts. The white and blue waves symbolize the Rivers Severn and Wye, between which the District mainly lies.
The green of the mantling is the Forest area and the gold for the agricultural areas. The golden mural crown is a familiar emblem in local government. It has five battlements visible, showing the union of five areas in one, like the five branches of the oak tree and the five tynes of the stag's antlers. The three black horseshoes, like those in the Gloucetsershire CC arms, recall the ancient iron industry of the Forest, which produced, inter alia, hundreds of thousands of horseshoes for the King's forces. Out of the crown rises the well-known figure of the Forest miner, taken from the brass in Newland Church, and also depicted in the crest of East Dean RDC.
The motto is that of the Lydney RDC and clearly defines the Forest of Dean District and links with the symbolic waves in the shield. It is in fact taken from a well-known local saying "Blest is the eye, Twixt Severn and Wye".


GLOUCESTER CITY COUNCIL (GLOUCS)

ARMS: Or three Chevronels between ten Torteaux Gules three three three and one.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Or a demi-Lion guardant Gules holding in his dexter paw a Broadsword and in his sinister paw a Trowel proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Gules holding in the dexter fore-paw a Broad­sword proper.

Motto 'FIDES INVICTA TRIUMPHAT' - Unconquered faith triumphs or Faith indomitable wins through.
Arms recorded in 1623, crest and supporters granted in 1652.

gloucester city arms
curfew tower
The Tudor Arms

The City of Gloucester enjoys the distinction of two ancient grants of arms. The first, which may be termed the Tudor coat, was granted in 1538. The second, which may be termed the Commonwealth coat, was assigned in 1652.
The Tudor coat (as pictured left) is heraldically speaking unusual but attractive. The roses appear to refer to those of Lancaster and York, the boar's head to the badge of Richard, Duke of Gloucester, afterwards King Richard III, who granted the Town its Charter of Incorporation in 1483. The horseshoes and nails are symbolic of the early trade of Gloucester which in the twelfth century, and probably before, was famous for its ironworks and smithery.
The frontispiece to John Dorney's Speeches published in 1653 contains an illustration of the Commonwealth coat, and describes it as incorporating the arms "assigned" by Sir Edward in 1623. These latter arms (as pictured above) were not, however, assigned in 1623, but were recorded to the City at the Herald's Visitation of the County of Glou­cester in that year, but without crest and supporters. The Corporation, therefore, proved their right to these arms at that Visitation. There is little doubt that this coat was in use previous to the grant of the Tudor coat in 1538, although there is no record of its origin. It is significant that the chevronels are identical with those of the arms of the de Clare family, who later became Earls of Gloucester. The torteaux were probably derived from the ancient arms of the See of Worcester, in which Gloucester was, before 1542, included.
The Corporation resolved in 1647 that the new arms (Tudor) should be delivered up and that the old arms (Commonwealth) of the City be henceforth borne. The resultant grant of 1652 incorporated the ancient shield with the addition of a crest and supporters (as pictured above).
On the restoration of the Monarchy in 1660 the crest and supporters of the Commonwealth arms were declared null and void. The Corporation, however, were seemingly reluctant to abandon the arms which had been assigned to them in the cause of freedom by the de facto Garter of the Commonwealth regime, and they were probably fortified in their determination to continue using them in the knowledge that they had proved their right to the shield in the reign of Charles I. Therefore the Commonwealth arms have been in continuous use ever since, without serious challenge.
The Corporation finally decided to retain and regularise the Common­wealth arms which almost certainly incorporates the most ancient armorial bearings of the City and these arms are now legally granted to the Corporation by Letters Patent dated the 16th April 1945.
The motto was probably adopted to immortalise the spirit of the sturdy citizens who successfully held the besieged City in the Cromwellian cause in 1643.


REDDITCH BOROUGH COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Argent on a Cross engrailed Vert a Needle point downwards of the field eyed and ensigned with an Ancient Crown Or in the first quarter a Salmon-Fly in bend proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a demi-Cogwheel thereon a Kingfisher rising proper an Arrow fesswise Or.

Motto 'REDDITE DEO' - Render unto God or Redditch for God.
Granted 15th December 1943, to the Redditch Urban District Council. Arms transfered and new crest granted 2nd March 1984.

The Borough of Redditch is coterminious with the former Redditch Urban District.

redditch bc arms

The white background is taken from the habit of the monks of the Cistercian Abbey of Bordesley, founded in 1136 by the Empress maud, since Redditch grew from a hamlet near this religious foundation. The green colour of the cross is suggestive of holly, chosen because the Abbey and the present Parish Church were dedicated to St Stephen, whose festival falls within the Christmas season. The green also commemorates the former Feckenham Forest, within which the Borough stands. The ancient crown alludes to King John who made the forest "Royal", and to his grandmother the Empress Maud. The needle and the salmon-fly mark the principal industries.
The original crest had a swift, fastest of British birds, with with the cogwheel refered to the manufacture of aeroplane and motorcar accesories. After Redditch became a Borough on the 15th May 1980, the swift was changed to a kingfisher to reflected the growing association between Redditch and the most attractive of birds. The arrow is an allusion to the River Arrow, which flows through the town and is also a symbol of the speed and directness of modern road and air transport.
The motto is a quotation from Mark Chapter XII, Verse 17; "Reddite quae sunt Caesaris, Caesari; et quae Dei sunt, Deo" which means "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's".


WORCESTER CITY COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS (ANCIENT): Quarterly sable and gules, a castle triple-towered argent.
ARMS (MODERN): Argent, a fesse between three pears sable.

Motto 1 'FLOREAT SEMPER FIDELIS CIVITAS' - Let the faithful city ever flourish.
Motto 2 'CIVITAS IN BELLO ET PACE FIDELIS' - In war and peace, a faithful city.
Motto 3 'SEMPER FIDELIS MUTARE SPERNO' - Ever faithful, I scorn to change.
Ancient arms recorded at the Visitations of 1569 and 1634. Modern arms recorded at the Visitation of 1634.

worcester combined arms
Combined Arms
ancient and modern arms
Ancient and Modern Arms

There has been much confusion about the City's arms, with two shields in various combinations, and three mottos, in use at various times. The "ancient" arms doubtless commemorate Worcester Castle, of which nothing remains. The "modern" arms, in fact more than three years old, are said to have been adopted to mark Queen Elizabeth I's visit to Worcester in 1575. Tradition has it that during her procession through the streets of Worcester the Queen saw a black pear tree which had been planted in the Foregate in her honour. She was so pleased at the appropriateness of the tree growing right in the heart of a fruit growing region, that she bade the city add the emblem of pears to its arms. At various times the modern arms have been placed on a canton on the ancient arms, and appears as such on a map of Worcester by J. Roper in 1806.
The city's loyal support for the Royalist cause during the Civil War, is asserted in all of its mottoes.
The City curretly appears to used the two shields placed side by side between branches of laurel and palm leaves, with the motto "Civitas in bello et pace fidelis".


WYCHAVON DISTRICT COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Vert gutty Argent in chief and Or in base two Croziers addorsed palewise Gold over all on a Fess wavy Argent a Bar wavy Azure surmounted of a Saxon Crown also Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure out of a Ancient Crown three Ears of Wheat slipped and stalked Or and between them two Ostrich Feathers Argent penned Gold; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
BADGE: A Saxon Crown Or ensigning a Fess couped dancetty with two points in base Azure and thereon a Bar dancetty Argent.

Motto 'ET PATRIBUS ET POSTERIS'.
Granted 17th December 1981.

The Wychavon District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Droitwich, the Borough of Evesham, most of the Droitwich Rural District, the Evesham Rural District and most of the Pershore Rural District.

wychavon dc arms
wychavon badge
Badge

The green background refers to the rich agricultural land which characterises the area. The silver drops represent the rain which, when it waters the land, turns the crops to gold - hence golden drops. The wavy band across the shield symbolises the River Avon, which flows across the District and forms the second element in its name. The Saxon crown is for the Hwicca, the Saxon tribe who gave the District the first element in its name. The croziers represent the two great Abbeys of Evesham and Pershore, which once dominated the area.
The three ears of wheat symbolises the three former Rural District Councils of Droitwich, Evesham and Pershore and the two ostrich feathers (royal ensigns) the two former Boroughs of Droitwich and Evesham, both of which have ancient royal connections.
The badge repeats the Saxon Crown motif and also symbolises the Avon which here makes a pictogram of the initial W.


TOWN AND PARISH COUNCILS

BRIDGNORTH TOWN COUNCIL (SALOP)

ARMS: Argent on a Rock in base a Castle of three Towers with spires proper from the dexter spire a Banner of St. George and from the sinister spire a Banner quarterly Gules a Lion passant Or and Azure a Fleur de Lys also Or on a Chief Vert a Lion passant guardant Gold.

Motto 'FIDELITAS URBIS SALUS REGIS' - The faithfulness of the city is the safety of the King.
Granted 14th September 1958, to the Bridgnorth Borough Council.

bridgnorth tc arms

The arms are base upon the former seal, dating from the fifteenth century, which was displayed on a shield before the current arms were granted. The seal bore a castle with a central domed tower, and on either side thereof a shield, one bearing the cross of St George, and the other the Royal Arms: France and England quarterly. The castle represents that built in 1098 by Robert de Belesme, Earl of Shrewsbury, who held it in rebellion against Henry I. During the Civil War the castle was besieged by the Parliamentary forces and finally demolished.
The motto refers to the town's support of the Royalist cause.


CIRENCESTER TOWN COUNCIL (GLOUCS)

ARMS: Or a Capital of a Roman Column carved with Acanthus Leaves and in their midst a demifigure of a Female habited holding in the sinister hand a Disc Mirror all proper and on a Chief embattled Vert rising from flames proper a Phoenix Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert from with a circular Wall embattled proper and ensigned by a Crown Or a dexter Arm embowed habited Gules holding in the Hand a Scythe proper.
BADGE: Rising from Flames proper a Phoenix Or within a Wreath of two Acanthus Leaves slipped Vert.

Motto 'CORINIUM FLOREAT' - May Corinium flourish.
Granted 18th April 1983.

cirencester tc arms
cirencester badge
Badge

The main charge is is based upon a capital excavated in 1838 and now in the Corinium Museum. This capital shows a female figure holding a mirror, the figure being the upper half of the woman and appearing as it were out of a panache of acanthus leaves. The phoenix rising from flames, has long been used as an emblem by the town. This may be derived from a device of Elizabeth I, who adopted the phoenix, it is said to symbolise her recovery from smallpox. Another theory is that it refers to the razing of Corinium by the Saxons, who later rebuilt the town. The embattled edge of the green chief is an allusion to the Roman origin of the town which was an administrative centre within the Roman empire.
The mural crown may be taken as a further allusion to the Roman foundation of Cirencester, and the antique crown, as an allusion to the fact that the town is described in as early a document as Ethelred’s Charter to the Abingdon monks. The embowed arm clothed in red holding a scythe alludes to the agricultural importance of the area and also the international fame of Cirencester through the Royal Agricultural College located there. The scythe has been chosen as a distinctive yet simple and traditional implement in reference to agriculture.
There is a badge with the phoenix rising from the flames as a central symbol. It is enclosed within acanthus leaves - an inspiration from the details on the capital of the Roman column.
Corinium in the motto refers to the Roman name of the Town.


CLENT PARISH COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Argent on a Saltire Vert between four Torteaux a Shackle of four Chains saltirewise the ends terminated in four broken Fetters Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Circlet of Oak Leaves Vert charged with a Stafford Knot between two Pears Or a demi Lion Argent brandishing with both paws a Banner of the Arms the Staff Argent; Wreath Or and Vert, Mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Motto 'I WILL LIFT UP MINE EYES'.
Granted 1999?.

clent pc arms

The red roundels are taken from the arms of the See of Worcester, and the green of the saltire is from the colour of the shield of arms of the Bromsgrove DC, in which the Parish of Clent lies. The gold shackle with broken fetters is the emblem of St Leonard, to whom the Parish Church is dedicated, representing not only the Saint's miracle in freeing a prisoner, but the liberation of the Spirit from the burdens of life, which is part of the purpose of the Parish Council. The design also illustrates one of the features of Clent, which has four main clusters of habitation separated by green fields.
The circlet of oak leaves stands for the woodlands in the Parish and in particular for the National Trust, while the Stafford Knot between two Worcestershire Pears signifies the changing allegiances in the history of Clent. The white lion is associated with the Mortimers, Earls of the Marches, who held much land hereabouts, including some in Bromsgrove though none actually in Clent. It is shown brandishing a banner of the arms, which is a flag repeating the design on the shield. The gold and green wreath, together with the red and white mantling, repeats the colour scheme of the shield.
The motto is taken from the opening words of Psalm 121, "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help". This is a reference to the Clent Hills, for which the Parish is famous.


DROITWICH TOWN COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Gules a Sword of State point downwards Argent surmounted of two Lions passant Or impaling quarterly first and fourth chequy Argent and Sable second and third Gules two Barrows erect in fesse Argent.

Recorded at the Visitation of 1634. Certified by Chester Herald in 1952.

droitwich tc arms

The local tradition concerning the arms has it that in the days of King John, that monarch was fain to sell all his rights here to the burgesses for an annuity, which he disposed of next day to his brother, William of the Long Sword. The town proudly assumed for its coat of arms John's lions impaled on William's sword. Two lions passant were John's arms before he came to the throne. Salt extraction has been important in Droitwich since Roman times and for five centuries the its manufacture of salt was a monopoly guarded jealously. The guild took another coat of arms showing the wicker moulds, know as barrows, and the chequered table for their accounts. The two arms were eventually placed together on one shield.


DURSLEY TOWN COUNCIL (GLOUCS)

ARMS: Azure on a Base Or two Columns supporting on semi-circular Arches the lower part of a building Argent between the Columns a Balance Gold on a Chief Gules a Pale Argent thereon between two Crosses flory Or a Water Wheel proper resting on a Base wavy Azure charged with a Bar wavy also Argent. .
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure issuant from a Mural Crown Or a Cogwheel Sable between two Beech Trees proper.

Granted 7th January 1991.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

dursley tc arms
market house
The Market House in Dursley

The columns and arches give a representation of the unique Market Place and Town Hall at Dursley, and the balance emphasises its use as a Market Place, its initial use being instituted by Royal Grant in 1471. The two crosses flory signify the historical and continuing link with Durs1ey Church, a town centre landmark that has been part of Dursley life since Medieval times. They also refer to the religious activity of William King and Bishop Edmund Fox, nationally known names. The industry in the town dates back to water power in the valley, and this industrial heritage is reflected in the waterwheel.
The mural crown signifies the arms as those of a civic authority and the cog wheel is a time honoured symbol of industry. The trees reflect the unique position of Dursley with its beech woods, which are visible from every part of the town where there is an open view.


EVESHAM TOWN COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Azure a Prince's Coronet Or between two Ostrich Feathers in chief Argent the quills bezantée and a Garb in base of the second all within a Bordure Sable bezantée.

Recorded at the Visitations of 1604, 1634 and 1682 for the Borough of Evesham.

evesham tc arms

All the emblems are from the insignia of Henry, Prince of Wales, son of James I. In 1605 Lewis Bayley, Vicar of Evesham and Chaplain to Prince Henry, influenced the Prince, to persuade his father to grant a Charter of Incorporation to Evesham. The bezants are from the arms of the Duke of Cornwall, and the wheatsheaf stands for the Earl of Chester, two of Henry's other titles.


HEREFORD CITY COUNCIL (HERE)

ARMS: Gules three Lions passant guardant in pale Argent on a Bordure Azure ten Saltires of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lion passant guardant Argent holding in the dexter paw a Sword erect proper hilt and pomel Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion ram­pant guardant Argent gorged with a Collar Azure charged with three Buckles Or.

Motto 'INVICTAE FIDELITATIS PRAEMIUM' - Reward for faithfulness unconquered.
Arms recorded (without bordure) at the Visitations of 1569 and 1634. Arms augmented and Crest and Supporters granted 14th September 1645.

The City of Hereford Charter Trustees became Hereford Town Council on 1st April 2000, when Hereford became a Parish Council. On 9th October 2000 the Queen reinstated the status of City on Hereford and the parish council took the title of Hereford City Council.

hereford city arms

Hereford bore on an early seal the Royal Arms of Richard I, who gave the City its first Royal Charter in 1189. It seems to have coloured the lions silver for the purpose of creating a distinctive (but unauthorized) coat of arms. The entire remainder of the design dates from 1645 at which time England was in a state of civil war. The City of Hereford supported the King and was garrisoned by Royalist troops. The garrison was very small and a large force of Scottish troops under the command of Leslie, Earl of Leven, arrived in Hereford. However, the citizens of Hereford joined with the soldiers and did the duties of soldiers so nobly that they kept the Cromwellian troops at bay for approximately five weeks. There was no penetration of the City defenses at any time by the Scottish troops whose sole achievement of destroying one span of the old bridge over the Wye and dislodging a few stones from the City walls. At the end of five weeks, the Scots gave up trying to capture the City and left. Leaving the Royal Standard flying in triumph over the City. King Charles I, on hearing of this was delighted and full of praise for the citizens of Hereford. He visited the City in order to thank them personally for their success. He dined one night at the Bishop’s Palace and at the end of this dinner he is alleged to have made the Grant of Arms, which has resulted in the Coat of Arms, which the City of Hereford now possesses. The lions surrounded by saltires, or St Andrew's Crosses, represent the Royalist forces hemmed in by the insurgent Scots, and the buckles on the collars of the supporting lions are from the arms of the Earl of Leven. The lion and sword of the crest signify loyalty to and defense of the Crown, and is rare in civic heraldry. Of even greater rarity is the barred peer’s helm supporting the crest found only in the arms of one other municipal authority in England – The City of London. King Charles I also gave the motto. The terms of the grant, dated 1645, printed in full in Fox-Davies's Book of Public Arms, set forth that,

"Ther hath not any Citty since this unnaturall Rebellion Exprest greater fidelity & Courage then ye Citty of herefford in Continuing there alleaganc & resisting ye many attempts of ye rebells but ye greatness of there loyallty Courages & undaunted resolution did then most eminently appeare when being straitly beseiged for ye space of 5 weeks by a powerfull army of Rebellious Scotts & having noe hopes of releife they Joyning with garison & doeing ye duty of souldiers then defended themselves & repelled ther fury & assaults with such singular constansy & resolution & with soe great distinction of ye beseidges that they are therby become ye wonder of ther Neighboring garisons & may be an Example to all other Citties & therfore doe justly deserve such caracters of honor as may be certified to posterity."


LYDNEY TOWN COUNCIL (GLOUCS)

ARMS: Sable a Fess Ermine in chief two Crosses formy Or over all a representation of the Market Cross at Lydney issuant from the base proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure issuant from the Hulk of an Ancient Ship and in front of a Cresset Sable fired proper between two Stalks of Wheat each with three Ears Or a demi Cogwheel proper.

Motto 'LABORES PROSINT CETERIS' - May our work benefit our fellows.
Granted 25th June 1969, to the Lydney Parish Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

lydney tc arms

The gold crosses on black are from the arms of the Bathurst Barons Bledisloe, Lords of the Manor of Lydney, and the fess is from the arms of the Winter family. The market cross indicates Lydney's importance as the trading centre of the rural area.
The colours of the wreath and mantling, blue and white, are the traditional colours of St. Mary, to whom the Parish Church is dedicated. The elements of the crest symbolize its Lydney's industries over a long period - iron-mining, shipbuilding and the carrying of coal and grain, engineering and the heating industry.


MALVERN TOWN COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Argent two Lions passant queue fourchée Gules on a Chief of the last a Cross patonce Or between two Fountains.
CREST: On a Wreath of the colours in front of a Pear Tree fructed proper a Stag lodged also proper.

Motto 'LEVAVI OCULOS MEOS IN MONTES' - I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills.
Granted 2nd October 1951 to the Urban District Council, transferred by Order dated 30th October 1997.

malvern tc arms

The two red lions walking with forked tails are taken from the arms of the Earls Beauchamp. The cross is taken from the arms of the ancient See of Westminster, suppressed in 1540, and alludes to the mediaeval connections between the Priory of Great Malvern and Westminster Abbey, of which it was a cell. The two heraldic fountains flanking the cross indicate the Malvern waters.
The stag, in natural colours, represents Malvern Chase. The pear tree in fruit has been adopted from the arms of the Worcestershire CC, in which it recalls the traditional pear-tree re-planting ceremony at Worcester on a visit by Queen Elizabeth I.
The motto is from the Vulgate Psalm CXXI.


ROSS-ON-WYE TOWN COUNCIL (HERE)

ARMS: Per fesse Gules and Vert on a Fesse wavy Argent between in chief two Leopards' Faces reversed jessant-de-Lys and in base a Fleur-de-Lys Or a Bar wavy Azure.
CREST: Issuant from a Coronet composed of four Fleurs-de-Lys set upon a Rim Gules a demi Eagle displayed wings inverted Or collared Vert the breast and each wing charged with a Rose also Gules barbed and seeded proper.

Motto 'PORTA VAGAE'.
Granted 26 June 1953, to the Ross-on-Wye Urban District Council.

ross-on-wye tc arms

The fleur-de-lys and leopard's head devices are from the arms of the Diocese of Hereford and the white and blue wave represents the River Wye. Awaiting further information from Ross-on-Wye Town Council.


STOURPORT-ON-SEVERN TOWN COUNCIL (WORCS)

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure a representation of a Severn Trow Or on a Chief Sable a Cross Moline between two Bees volant Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Cockatrice sejant Argent beaked combed and wattled Or the underwing charged with three Cross-crosslets fitchy Gules gorged with a Collar attached thereto a Chain of Steel reflexed over the back and holding in the dexter claw a Torch Sable enflamed proper.

Motto 'DUM DEFLUAT AMNIS' - Till the river ceases to flow.
Granted 20th June 1962 to the Stourport-on-Severn Urban District Council.

Picture by R.Young, Stouport-on-Severn, 2008.

stourport tc arms

The motto is from Horace (Epistulae, 1, 2, 32) and is a reference to the town's riverside situation. No further information available.


WELLINGTON TOWN COUNCIL (SALOP)

ARMS: Argent fretty Gules a Lion rampant Sable on a Chief of the last a Castle of the first between two Fleurs-de-Lys Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Portcullis chained Sable a Bugle Horn stringed Or.

Motto 'DEO ADJUVANTE' - By the help of God.
Granted 14th March 1951, to the Wellington Urban District Council.

wellington tc arms

The castle and the portcullis refer to Apley Castle, which since the fourteenth century has been in the possession of the Charlton family (now represented by the Meyrick family), from whose arms the lion was taken. The frets are from the arms of the old local families of Eyton and Cludde. The fleurs-de-lis are from the old Royal Arms in allusion to the fact that Wellington was the rendezvous of the Royalist forces in 1642, when King Charles I addressed his army here before moving to Shrewsbury. In 1644 Apley Castle and Wellington parish church were garrisoned by the Royalists, captured by the Parliamentary troops, and retaken by the Royalists.
The horn stands for Lord Forester, who is descended from the foresters of Wellington Hay, a portion of the Wrekin Forest.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page