NOTTINGHAMSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a Fesse wavy per fesse wavy Argent and Azure over all an Oak Tree fructed Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown a Garb Or charged with the Blade of a Miner's Shovel Sable.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion rampant queue fourchee Sable gorged with a Saxon Crown Or and on the sinister side a Greyhound Argent gorged with a like Crown with line reflexed over the back Azure.

Motto 'SAPIENTER PROFICIENS' - Progress with wisdom.
Granted 19th July 1937.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

nottinghamshire cc arms

The green background represents the extensive verdure of the County and the blue and white waves the River Trent, which flows through the southern and eastern parts of the County. The golden oak tree bearing acorns recalls the ancient Queen or Major Oak (reputed to be the largest in England) in the Royal Forest of Sherwood, which in olden times extended over a large part of the western half of the County and was the traditional haunt of the legendary Robin Hood.
The mural crown is a common symbol of civic government and the sheaf of corn and the miner's shovel blade represent agriculture and coal mining respectively - these being the major industries of the County.
The black lion with double tail is from the heraldry of the Dukes of Portland and the white greyhound from that of the Dukes of Newcastle and commemorate the fact that a member of one or other of these ducal families has for generations most frequently held the Office of Lord Lieutenant of the County. The Saxon Crowns are indicative of ancient Royal connections with Nottinghamshire.


BROXTOWE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent three Barrulets wavy Azure overall a lozenge lozengy Argent and Sable between in chief two Bees volant in bend and in base three Bears segant erect two and one proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours within a Circlet composed alternately of Bezants fimbriated Sable and Torteaux a Brock passant proper.

Granted ?

The Borough of Broxtowe was formed by the amalgamation of the Beeston and Stapleford Urban District, the Eastwood Urban District and part of the Basford Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

broxtowe bc arms

The black and white lozenge, indicating coal-mining in the area, is adapted from the arms of the Eastwood UDC and the three bears from the arms of the Basford family, formed part of the seal of the Basford RDC. The two honey-bees and the wavy bands, from the arms of the Beeston and Stapleford UDC, indicate the industrious characteristic of the Borough and its river frontage.
The gold and black and red roundels are also from the Eastwood arms and the badger or brock, in typical heraldic allusive fashion, refers to the name of the Borough.


EASTWOOD TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Lozengy Argent and Sable on a Chief Or an Annulet of the second between two Torteaux.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules in front of a Wheel issuing therefrom Argent a rounded Mount Sable lozengy Argent rising therefrom in its Flames a Phoenix proper.

Motto 'WE SEEK THE BEST'.

Arms granted 17th May 1951, to the Eastwood Urban District Council. Crest granted 12th May 1980.

eastwood udc arms

The black diamonds represent coal mining. The annulet is from the hearldry of the Plumtree family and the red roundels are from the arms of the Grey family of Codnor. They may also be seen as representing cricket balls, in allusion to the fact that several well-know cricketers have come from the district.
The flames rising from the black diamonds depict the energy derived from coal, and appearing out of the flames is a Phoenix, the mythical bird which the author D. H. Lawrence (1885-1930) adopted as his emblem. This serves as a reminder that Eastwood was Lawrence's birthplace and his early home. Behind the Phoenix, a railway wheel signifies the Town's role in the development of Britain's railways, for it was at the 'Sun Inn' in 1832 that steps were taken to create the Midland Counties Railway, a major constituent of the Midland Railway.


GEDLING BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Azure an Oak Tree fructed and eradicated Or on a Chief lozengy Argent and Sable tree Garbs of the second.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Mural Crown Or in front of two Arrows in saltire points downwards a Torch Sable enflamed proper.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Stag and on the sinister side a Bear both proper.

Motto 'OMNIBUS OPTIMUM' - The best for all.
Granted ?

The Borough of Gedling was formed by the amalgamation of the Arnold Urban District, the Carlton Urban District and part of the Basford Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

gedling bc arms

The Oak Tree alludes to that in the arms of the County Council and to Sherwood Forest. The 'chief' of a pattern of black diamonds refers to the coal mining industry and the wheatsheaves to farming.
The mural crown signifies Gedling's Borough status while the torch symbolises industry. The arrows which appeared in the arms of the Arnold UDC allude again to the Sherwood connection.
The stag features as a supporter in the arms of the City of Nottingham and the bear is taken from the device of three bears formerly used by the Basford RDC.


MANSFIELD DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Azure in dexter chief and in sinister chief a Roman Helmet proper lined Gules and in base the Attires of a Stag conjoined at their burrs proper over all a Cross flory per cross counterchanged of the Field.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure on a Mount Vert an Oak Tree proper between two Lions rampant combatant Or armed and langued Gules the dexter lion supporting by its sinister paw a Pickaxe passing behind the tree in bend the Haft Or the sinister lion supporting by its sinister paw a Pickaxe passing in front of the tree in bend sinister its Haft also Or and the blades of both sable resting upon the ground; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Stag per fesse Verte and Or semée of Oak Leaves counterchanged attired and unguled Gold langued Gules and gorged with a Duke's Coronet Or and on the sinister side a Lion per fesse Verte and Or semée of Oak Leaves counterchanged armed and langued Gules and gorged with a Duke's Coronet Gold.
BADGE: The Attires of a Stag conjoined at their burrs proper braced at their beams with a Cross flory per cross Azure and Or.

Motto 'SICUT QUERCUS VIRESCIT INDUSTRIA' - Industry flourishes like the oak.
Granted 10th June 1987

The Mansfield District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Mansfield, the Mansfield Woodhouse Urban District and the Warsop Urban District.

mansfield dc arms

The quartered field and cross flory are derived from the arms of the Borough of Mansfield and the two Roman helmets are from the device used by the Mansfield Woodhouse UDC. The pair of antlers allude to the deer in Sherwood Forest.
The crest incorporates a Sherwood Forest oak tree, like the crest used by the Borough of Mansfield, except that the small crosses have been replaced by pickaxes associated with the mining industry. The two lions are derived from the device of the Warsop UDC.
The dexter supporter is a Sherwood Forest stag with distinctive colouring patterned with oak leaves from the same forest and the sinister supporter is a lion. Both are gorged with a golden crown fashioned in the manner of a Duke's Coronet, alluding to the unofficial term "Dukeries" associated with the area.
The motto repeats that of the Borough of Mansfield.


NEWARK TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure on a Chief Gules a Peacock in his pride proper between a Fleur-de-Lis on the dexter and a Lion passant guardant on the sinister Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure a Morfex Argent beaked Sable holding in its beak an Eel proper; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Otter and on the sinister side a Beaver the latter langued Gules.

Motto 'DEO FRETUS ERUMPE' - Trust God, and sally.
Granted 8th December 1561 to the former Borough of Newark-on-Trent. (Although the tinctures of the supporters are not specified they are painted proper).

newark tc arms

The wavy bars, crest, and supporters refer to Newark's riverside position. The fleur-de-lis and lion are royal emblems. Local opinion takes the bird as the symbol of pride.
Several variations of the crest have been quoted. The bird has been described as a morfex, a seagull, and a martlet; and the eel has been called a snake. In the above description I have followed the original blazon - "Barre wave of Six peces silver and azure a chefe goules therein a peakocke displayed proper colour betwene a flowre de luce and a lyon passant regardant, golde on the helmet on a wreath silver and azure a morfex silver, beaked sable, therein holding a Ele in proper collor mant­led gules doubled silver bottoned golde, the said Armes assisted betweene two supporters A Otter and a Beaver both in proper coller The beaver langued gules."
The motto was added in 1912 and is a translation of the valiant words of the Mayor, to Lord Bellasyse, during the siege of Newark by the Parliamentarians in 1646.


NOTTINGHAM CITY COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules issuant from the base a ragged Cross couped proper between two Ducal Coronets in chief Or the lower limb of the Cross enfiled with a like Coronet.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Castle walled triple-towered and capped proper the dexter tower surmounted of a Crescent Argent and the sinister tower by an Estoile Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side standing on a Staff raguly erased a Royal Stag guardant proper ducally gorged Or.
BADGE: A Saltire raguly Vert ensigned by a Stag's Head caboshed proper.
STANDARD: Barry of six Or and Argent the Bands Gules edged Gold inscribed Sable fringed Gold and Red.

Motto 'VIVIT POST FUNERA VIRTUS' - Virtue survives death.
Arms recorded at the Visitation of 1614. Crest granted 10th June 1898, Supporters granted 3rd November 1908 (replacing those granted 11th June 1898) and Badge granted 7th November 1911.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

nottingham city arms

The design is similar to the arms of Colchester, but there is no connection between the two places. It is probable that the ragged cross simply refers to the Forest of Sherwood.
The crest is based on the present Seal of the City, which has been in use since the 15th century. In the Seal the crescent moon and the star are shown above the towers and not on them.
The Royal stags and ragged staves are a further reference to Sherwood, they replace earlier supporters - two foresters with longbows - which were considered unsatisfactory.


RUSHCLIFFE BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Per chevron Sable and Vert in chief two Bears salient respectant and in base a representation of the Bingham Butter Cross Or on a Chief Argent a Barrulet wavy Azure rising therefrom a Bridge of three arches Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert within a Mural Crown Or charged with three Oak Leaves a Cliff surrounded by Rushes proper.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI' - The welfare of the people.
Granted ?

The Borough of Rushcliffe was formed by the amalgamation of the West Bridgeford Urban District, the Bingham Rural District and part of the Basford Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

rushcliffe bc arms

The black and green background is indicative of coalmining and agriculture. On the black are two of the three gold bears from the arms of the Basford family, contained in the seal of the Basford RDC and on the green is the Butter Cross which was the emblem on the seal of the Bingham RDC. The blue wave is for the River Trent, over which stands a conventionalised Trent Bridge of three arches, for West Bridgford.
The gold mural crown is a familiar civic symbol, charged with three visible oak leaves from the tree in the County arms, denoting three Nottinghamshire communities combined in one authority. The rest of the crest refers to the name Rushcliffe, in typical heraldic allusive fashion, depicted by a cliff rising from rushes.
The Motto is a quotation from Cicero.


back to contents page
back to front page