ARMS: Or on a Pale wavy double plain cotised Azure a pallet wavy Argent a Chief Azure thereon three pierced Cinquefoils Or.
CREST Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and four Acorns leaved set alternately upon a Rim Or a winged demi Lion Argent the wings Or semée of Annulets Gules ducally gorged Or.

Motto 'RIDENT FLORENTIA PRATA'-Our flowering fields rejoice.
Granted 20th May 1964.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

downham rdc arms

The wavy pale represents the River Great Ouse, largest and longest of the fenland rivers and the wavy pallet represents the River Little Ouse, which formed a boundry of the district. By contrast the straight lines sybolise the artificial cuts and drains which criss cross this landscape. The three gold peireced cinquefoils on blue are derived from the arms of the Lords Bardolph of Wormgay, who for generations following the Norman Conquest were successive Lords of the Manor of Wormegay in the north of the district. They owned other large estates in the area, including the nearby Manor of Stow to which they suffixed the name of Bardolph.
The coronet represents the countryside and agriculture. Out of this rises the white lion, with a crown around its neck and gold wings charged with red rings. The lion is from the crest of the Hare family and the wings from the heraldry of the Bagges, they are combined in reference to the great part played by these families in the life of the district and the Council.


ARMS: Or on a Cross quadrate Azure a Castle of three domed towers on each a Pennon flying to the dexter between four Cross crosslets fitchy Gold on a Chief Sable a Lion passant guardant of the field.

Motto 'NON SIBI SED PATRIAE'-Not for oneself but for one's country.
Granted 21st April 1955.

freebridge lynn rdc arms

The predominant colours of blue and gold, are those of the great de Warrenne family of Castleacre. The cross recalls the numerous religious houses of the district which played a great part in its early history. The castle is from the old seal of the former Borough of Castle Rising, and the crosslets are from the arms of Castleacre Priory and of the Howards, Dukes of Norfolk. The black chief is for the Black Prince, and the Royal lion, a special mark of favour, refers to the presence of Sandringham House within the bounds of the district.
The motto is that of Lord Romney, it is appropriate not only because of Lord Romney's own service to the Council, but also as an expression of the Council's service to the whole District, inspired by that of the Royal residents of the district to the nation.


ARMS: Azure three Dragon's Heads erect and erased Or in the mouth of each a Cross crosslet fitchee of the last.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure perched on a Dragon's Head fesswise erased Or a Pelican Argent beaked Or vulning itself and membered Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Falcon proper beaked legged jessed and belled Or and on the sinister side a Seagull proper beaked Or each gorged with an Ancient Crown lined Or and in the beak a Rose Gules charged with another Argent barbed and seeded slipped and leaved proper both on a Compartment composed of a Quayside on Water barry wavy proper.

Granted sometime between 1971 and 1974?

Image from the Heraldry Society Image Library.

king's lynn bc arms

The arms were recorded at the Visitation of 1563. The dragon's heads refer to the legend of St. Margaret of Antioch, who has been portrayed on the Seals of Lynn since the 13th Century, and to whom the Parish Church is dedicated. She was the Christian daughter of a pagan priest and was imprisoned for her faith. She was devoured by Satan in the form of a dragon, but she wore a cross by whose power she was able to burst the dragon open and emerge unhurt. Her symbol is therefore, a dragon's head pierced by a cross.
The arms were sometimes historically shown with a pelican for a crest, probably adopted as a Christian emblem, for that bird is a symbol of the Eucharist, because it was said by medieval writers to feed its young with blood drawn from its own breast.
No further information available, any information appreciated.

ARMS: Azure on a Pile Or between two Ostrich Feathers Ermine the quill of each piercing a Scroll Argent a dexter Arm issuant from the sinister vested with a Maunch Gules the hand proper grasping a Rose Gules barbed slipped and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Argent charged with a Cinquefoil Sable between two Fleurs-de-Lys Azure a Bull's Head also Sable wreathed about the neck with a Torse of the first and Vert.

Granted 20th August 1957.

st faith's and aylsham rdc arms

The sleeved arm holding a red rose is from the arms of the Abbey of Conches which owned the Priory of Horsham St. Faith, and the ermine ostrich feathers refer to John of Gaunt who kept his Duchy of Lancaster court in Norfolk at Aylsham. The blue fleurs-de-lys are from the shield of the Paston family, who were seated at Oxnead and Hellesdon and who also built Thorpe Hall, and whose famous 'Letters' constitute a major national document. I have no further information, I am guessing the black bull's head is from the arms of the famous Boleyn family, connected with Blickling. Any further information is welcome.

ARMS: Checky Or and Vert on a Cross Sable an Ostrich Feather in pale Ermine the quill transfixing a Scroll Argent between two Lymphads sails set Or.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set alternately upon a Rim Or in front of five Ostrich Feathers Argent a demi Stag Sable attired unguled and holding in the mouth a Horseshoe Gold.

Motto 'FIDE ET LABOR' - By faith and industry.
Granted 20th December 1962.

walsingham rdc arms

The black cross is from the arms of Walsingham Priory, which had its origins in the time of Edward the Confessor. The chapel of Our Lady of Walsingham was confirmed to the Augustinian Canons a century later and enclosed within the priory, it was in medieval times and still today a famous place of pilgrimage, attracting the faithful from all parts of England and from the continent. A manuscript dating from c. 1510 records the arms of the Priory of Walsingham as Argent on a cross sable five lilies slipped argent, (i.e. a black cross on a white background, with five lilies superimposed on the cross). The ermine ostrich feather refers to John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, who in 1373 was presented with the Manor of Fakenham, which became known as Fakenham Lancaster. It continued as a Royal Manor until the 17th century when it was sold into private ownership. The ships refer to the areas maritime and naval connections, Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovel and Rear-Admiral Sir John Narborough both being born in the district. The gold and green chequy pattern is taken from the arms of the Sparke family of Gunthorpe Hall.
The crown of wheatears and acorns is know as a "rural crown" and was created for the use of rural district councils. The black stag with golden antlers and hooves is derived from the dexter supporter of the arms of the Marquess Townshend, whose ancestral seat is at Raynham Hall. The plume of five white feathers is from the crest of Lord Hastings of Melton Constable. The golden horseshoe is taken from the crest of Thomas William Coke, 1st Earl of Leicester, famously known as Coke of Holkham, where it was held in the mouth of an ostrich. In his 88 years he revolutionised agricultural methods, converting an impoverished countryside into rich corn-growing land abounding with flocks and herds and so gave a lead to the whole country.

back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page