LINCOLNSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a Bend wavy Argent charged with a like Bendlet Azure overall a Bend sinister Ermine between four Fleurs-de-Lys Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert a Lapwing proper between two Ostrich Feathers Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On either side an Officer of the 10th Foot (Lincolnshire "Yellowbellies") circa 1795 holding in his dexter hand a drawn Sword point downwards all proper.

Granted 8 April 1977.
Motto 'IN UNITY WE SERVE'.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

lincolnshire cc arms

The silver and blue wavy band indicates the coast line and the inland waterways network of the County and the ermine band symbolises Ermine Street, the Roman road which serves the length of the County. The four gold fleur-de-lys are taken from the arms of the City of Lincoln.
The Lapwing indicates the natural fauna of the County between two silver feathers recording the confirmation by Charter of the granting by Eaward I of the title of Prince of Wales to his son on 7 February 1301 at Nettleham, near Lincoln.
The supporters are Officers of the 10th Regiment of Foot - the Lincolnshire "Yellowbellies" (now incorporated in the Royal Anglian Regiment) - with drawn swords and in the uniform of 1795.


ALFORD TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy Argent and Azure a Lion rampant queue fourchee and on a Chief Sable a Windmill Sail of five arms Or between two Lincoln Red Shorthorn Bulls' Heads caboshed proper ringed Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a demi Lion Ermine holding between the paws a Book Or charged with a Rose Gules charged with another Argent barbed and seeded proper seven Mascles conjoined Gules.

Motto 'FOURSQUARE TO ALL WINDS'.
Granted 1st October 1965, to the Alford Urban District Council. Transferred by Order made 16th April 1975.

alford tc arms

The black lion is that of William de Welle, Lord of the Manor of Alford, who obtained the market charter in 1283. The blue and white waves represents the ford that gave Alford its name. The bulls' heads and five armed windmill sail symbolise the importance of agriculture, the town's annual bull fair and its cattle market.
The ermine lion comes from the arms of Lord Burghley, who helped Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School obtain its charter in 1576, and holds, appropriately, a gold book with a Tudor rose on it. The seven red mascles or voided lozenges are traditionally associated with St. Wilfrid, to whom the church is dedicated.
The motto is adapted from Ode on the Death of the Duke of Wellington by the Lincolnshire poet Alfred Lord Tennyson.


BOSTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Chevron Azure three Coronets each composed of Crosses Paty and Fleurs-de-Lys Or on a Chief Sable a Garb between two Pairs of Windmill Sails also Or.
CREST On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion Or holding between the forepaws a Woolsack proper charged with a Ram couchant Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Mermaid proper crined and finned Or upon a Compartment of Waves barry wavy Azure and Argent.

Motto 'SERVE WITH AMNITY'.
Granted 1974?.

The Borough of Boston was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Boston and the Boston Rural District.

boston bc arms

The three princes coronets were transferred from the arms of the former Borough of Boston, their origin is not definately know, but it is said they represent the Dukes of Brittany, Richmond and Suffolk. The gold field and wheatsheaf represent the arable fenland and the windmill sails, like those in the arms of the Boston RDC, refer to the characteristic Dutch-type drainage of the area.
The woolpack and ram are an indication that Boston was a staple town for wool. The lion relates to King John and alludes to his journey to Swineshead after losing his treasure in the Wash.
The two mermaids are also derived from the supporters of the former Borough, and emphasise Boston's importance as a port both in medieval times and the present day. Tradition has it the two mermaids signify the connection between the Borough and two women of note in the reign of Henry VIII, namely Anne Boleyn and Princess Mary, Duchess of Suffolk. Anne Boleyn was related to the Tilney family, who held lands in Boston from the 13th to 15th centuries. The Duke of Suffolk, husband of Princess Mary, was the brother-in-law of Henry VIII and was granted land in Boston by him.


BOURNE TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Fess Azure between in chief three Torteaux and in base a Wake Knot Gules a Bar wavy Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from the Battlements of a Tower Gules a demi-Lion Ermine holding between the paws an Escutcheon Azure charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Argent.

Motto 'VIGILA ET ORA' - Watch and Pray.
Granted 23rd July 1953, to the Bourne Urban District Council.

bourne tc arms

The shield is a modification of the arms of the Wakes previously used by the Council. The three red roundels on gold remain, and the characteristic knot, a badge of the Wakes, which surmounted the previous design is now in the base of the shield. The blue and white waves replace the two red bars from the Wake arms, and represent the historic Carr Dyke and the Bourne Eau.
The red battlements represent the Castle and the Ermine lion is from the arms of the Cecils, of which family was Elizabeth I's famous Treasurer Lord Burleigh, and the Marquesses of Exeter who have owned the market rights since 1564. The shield held by the lion, shows the arms of the Digby family of the Red Hall.


LINCOLN CITY COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Cross Gules a Fleur-de-Lis Or.

Motto 'CIVITAS LINCOLNIA or FLOREAT LINDUM'.
Recorded at the College of Arms.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

lincoln city arms

The red cross on white is that of St. George, white being the symbol of purity, justice and gentleness, while the red is thought to symbolise valour. The fleur-de-lis represents the Virgin Mary, the patron saint of both the Cathedral and the City.
The arms are sometimes shown with the above mottos, Lindum being the Roman name for the City.


LOUTH TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable a Wolf rampant Or on a Chief of the last a Plough turned to the sinister Azure between two Garbs Gules.

Motto 'DEO ADJUVANTE NON TIMENDUN' - With God's assistance there is nothing to fear.
Granted 8th June 1954, to the Louth Borough Council. Transferred by Order in Council 19th May 1976.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

louth tc arms

The golden wolf on a black background was used by the former Borough of Louth, which came into existance in 1836. It is claimed by local historians that it was originally used by Nicholas de Luda in 1351. He was a clerk to Edward II and had a long ecclesiastical career. Luda was the Roman name for Louth. The wheatsheaves and the plough refer to the Town's association with agriculture.


MABLETHORPE AND SUTTON TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse embattled Azure and Or in chief two White Lilies slipped and leaved proper the stalks conjoined and entwined with the shank of an Anchor interlaced with the bows of two Keys fessewise wards outwards and downwards Gold and in base three Dolphins naiant of the first.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Argent charged with three Cross Crosslets Sable a demi Lion Gules gorged with a Collar Lozengy of the first and last. Mantled Azure doubled Or.

Motto 'AMOENIORA LITORA NOSTRA' - Our shores are more delightful.
Granted 10th February 1960, to the Mablethorpe and Sutton Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

mablethorpe and sutton tc arms

The background colours are appropriate to a seaside resort - blue for the sea and gold for the sands. The embattled line suggests the great sea wall built after the flood disaster of 1953. The top of the shield shows the emblems of three patron saints - lilies for St. Mary the Virgin, keys for St. Peter and an anchor for St. Clement. They are interlaced to represent the union of the parishes of Mablethorpe, Trusthorpe and Sutton-on-Sea. The three dolphins suggest the pleasures of the three resorts
The crest represents the early manorial history of the district. The mural crown is a common civic emblem and bears the crosslets from the arms of the de Mablethorpe family. The red lion is that of the de Montalts, and his collar bears the lozenge pattern of the Fitzwilliams.
The motto is based on a quotation from Tacitus.


NORTH KESTEVEN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Vert and Sable on a Chevron Or between in chief two Bars wavy the nether issuant Argent surmounted of a demi Eagle issuant displayed wings inverted Or and in base an Oak Tree issuant fructed Or three Estoiles Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert out of the Battlements of a Tower a Crane wings expanded and inverted proper supporting with the interior foot a Maltese Cross resting upon the battlements quarterly Gules and Argent.

Motto 'RECTAM VIAM SEQUI' - To follow the right road.
Granted ?.

The North Kesteven District was formed by the amalgamation of the Sleaford Urban District, the East Kesteven Rural District and the North Kesteven Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

north kesteven dc arms

The green background, two white waves, and the top half of the golden eagle in the upper portion of the shield are from the arms of the North Kesteven RDC from which the present District takes its name. The waves denote the rivers Witham and Brant in the agricultural countryside. The eagle refers to the numerous Roman associations of the area - the Fosse Way, Fosse Dyke and Ermine Street, which for part of its length formed the common boundary of North and East Kesteven. The lower part of the shield is taken from the arms of the East Kesteven RDC - a gold oak tree ultimately taken from the arms of the Kesteven County Council, representing the forests, remnants of which still survive in the south of the old county. The gold chevron with three black stars from the arms of the Sleaford UDC, which are taken from those of the distinguished Carre family. The three stars also indicate the union of the three former authorities in one edifice, suggested by the gable-end shape of the chevron.
The wreath is in green and white - the liveries of Kesteven County Council. The crane from the East Kesteven crest represents the important R.A.F. College at Cranwell (also commemorated in the Sleaford crest by an eagle). The crane stands within the battlements of a tower alluding to Somerton Castle, a 13th century residence of the Bishops of Lincoln, and rests a claw on a cross combining the red Maltese Cross of the Knights Templars and the white cross of the Knights Hospitallers, who had establishments at Mere in the North, Temple Bruer in the East and Eagle in the North. The crest thus combines influential institutions in the life of the area in both ancient and modern times.
The motto is that of the previous North Kesteven Rural District Council, a quotation from Cicero. It may be translated 'To follow the right road' and also 'To follow the straight road', the latter giving a reference to the Roman roads of the area.


SLEAFORD TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Chevron Or three Estoiles Sable on a Chief Argent as many Trefoils slipped Vert.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an Eagle wings extended and head downwards and to the sinister proper holding in the beak an Ear of Wheat stalked and leaved Or.

Granted 26th October 1950, to the Sleaford Urban District Council.

sleaford tc arms

The lower portion of the shield is the arms of the Carre family, closely associated with the town in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, and founded of the local almshouses and grammar school. The three trefoils are from the arms of the Herveys, Marquesses of Bristol and Lords of the Manor.
The eagle refers to the town's links with the R.A.F., especially through the R.A.F. College at Cranwell. The ear of wheat refers to agriculture.


SOUTH HOLLAND DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Azure and Argent in front of two Crosiers in saltire a representation of the Elloe Stone issuant on a Chief Or an open Book proper edged Or bound between two Tulip Heads Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Heron proper supporting with the dexter foot a Cornucopia erect Or replenished with flowers fruit and cereals proper.
BADGE: In front of two Crosiers in saltire a representation of the Elloe Stone Or.

Motto 'PROGRESS THROUGH ENDEAVOUR'.
Granted 1976?.

The South Holland District was formed by the amalgamation of the Spalding Urban District, the East Elloe Rural District and the Spalding Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

south holland dc arms
south holland badge
Badge

The background of blue and white waves is like those in the arms of the Spalding RDC and the East Elloe RDC, they represent the waterways of the area. On these lie two crossed crosiers for the monastic foundations of, Castle Acre Priory, Spalding Priory and Crowland Abbey, and the Elloe Stone, also from the East Elloe arms, which marked the site of the Hundred Court of Elloe, the 'local government unit' of mediaeval times which governed most of the South Holland area. The gold chief and book represents the Spalding Gentlemens' Society, a pioneer in local culture, and two tulip heads, all from the arms of the Spalding UDC, the tulips also featured in the arms of the Holland County Council.
The wreath and mantling are in the basic blue and white of the shield. The heron from the arms of the Holland County Council, symbolizes the characteristic local fauna, it supports a gold cornucopia from the Spalding RDC arms, and indicates the flora and rich produce of South Holland.
The motto is that of the Spalding Rural District Council.


SOUTH KESTEVEN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Checky Or and Azure on a Chevron Vert a Wake Knot between two Garbs Or on a Chief Gules a Lion passant guardant Or.

The South Kesteven District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Grantham, the Borough of Stamford, the Bourne Urban District, the South Kesteven Rural District and the West Kesteven Rural District.

south kesteven dc arms
west kesteven device
Device used by the West Kesteven RDC

The background of gold and blue chequers, common to the arms of the Borough of Stamford and the Borough of Grantham, are from the arms of the great Norman family of de Warenne, who held both manors. The green of the chevron, is like the background of the device of the West Kesteven RDC and the two sheaves of wheat, representing agriculture, are also from this device and the arms of the South Kesteven RDC. The gold knot, the badge of the Wakes, is taken from the arms of the Bourne UDC, of which they were lords in medieval times. At the head of the shield is one of the Royal Lions of England, which formed part of the arms of Stamford.


STAMFORD TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale dexter side Gules three Lions passant guardant in pale Or and the sinister side chequy Or and Azure.

Recorded at the Visitation of 1634 for the former Borough of Stamford.

stamford tc arms

The blue and gold chequers are those of the Earls Warenne, who held the Manor in the 13th century. The three gold lions on red, like the English Royal arms, were probably used as a token that Stamford was a royal borough.


WEST LINDSEY DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a Fess Ermine of five Spots between in chief the head of a Roman Legionary Standard between two Garbs of Barley or and in base on Water barry wavy of four Argent and Azure a Viking Ship Or the sail set Argent.
CREST On a Wreath Argent and Vert on a Mount an Oak Tree proper fructed Or bound thereto by a circular Steel Chain proper two Anchors in saltire Or.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lincolnshire Red Shorthorn Bull and on the sinister side a Lincoln Longwool Ram both guardant proper each supporting a Crosier Or.
BADGE: A Pentagon per pale barry wavy of six Argent and Azure and Vert over all a Pallet Ermine of five Spots the Pentagon fimbriated Or.

Motto 'STRIVE FOR THE GAIN OF ALL'.
Granted 15th November 1974.

The West Lindsey District was formed by the amalgamation of the Gainsborough Urban District, the Market Rasen Urban District, the Caistor Rural Dristrict, the Gainsborough Rural District and the Welton Rural District.

west lindesy dc arms
west lindsey badge
Badge

The green background, like that of the Gainsborough UDC and the Caistor RDC, suggests the predominantly rural character of the area. The ermine 'fess' represents, as in the arms of the Gainsborough RDC and the Welton RDC, the Roman Ermine Street. The Roman legionary standard-head in gold is from the arms of the Caistor RDC and emphasizes the Roman associations of that part of Lindsey, this is flanked by two golden sheaves in the same position as in the arms of the Gainsborough UDC and the former Lindsey County Council. The sheaves in the former arms, though not so specified are shown as wheat, while those in the County arms are depicted as barley. The latter is preferred in the new arms as being the more general crop over the whole region, and as having particular reference to the malting industry of Market Rasen. The gold Viking Ship is from the Lindsey arms and the white and blue waves where common to the arms of both the Gainsborough UDC and RDC. Like the dragon ship in the latter's crest, the vessel refers to the Scandinavian incursions into the area by way of the Trent and the settlement under Swein or Sweyn at Gainsborough.
The grassy mound, represents the Lincolnshire Heights and the Wolds. The oak tree with gold acorns, refers to the woodlands, such as Willingham Forest, and particularly the timber park at Brocklesby Woods, where the Earls of Yarborough have established scientific forestry as one of the district's most notable features. The gold crossed anchors from the crest of the Gainsborough UDC, recall the importance to the economic life of the area of the Trent Navigation. The circular steel chain, securing the anchors to the tree are reminder of the allusive 'links' from the Lindsey crest and of the engineering industry of the Gainsborough area.
The Lincolnshire Red Shorthorn bull and the Lincoln Longwool ram, are characteristic Lincolnshire beasts, and represent the dairying activities of the western side of the district and the extensive sheep farming of the middle and eastern parts. The gold crosiers suggests the many historical links of the district with the Bishops of Lincoln, the ancient See of Lindsey, and with Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, half-brother of William the Conqueror and holder of the Manor of Market Rasen in Norman times.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page