ACCRINGTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Fesse Argent a Shuttle fessewise proper in base two Printing Cylinders issuant therefrom a Piece of Calico (paisley pattern) also proper on a Chief per pale Or and Vert a Lion rampant Purpure and a Stag current Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an Oak Branch bent from the sinister chevronwise sprouting and leaved proper fructed Or.

Motto 'INDUSTRY AND PRUDENCE CONQUER'.
Granted 26th August 1879.

accrington bc arms

The shuttle represents cotton spinning, and the cylinders and calico the industry of printing that material. The stag is from the arms of the local family of Hargreaves, of Broad Oak, who were closely connected with calico printing. The lion is that of the ancient family De Lacy, who held Accrington by grant of Henry II.
The oak branch is trebly allusive to the name: it is bent into the shape of its initial letter; oak (Anglo-Saxon ac) expresses the first syllable; and the acorns recall the old form of the name, Akerenton.


ATHERTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Bend Gules between two Lozenges Sable a Lion's Gamb erased of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Sparrowhawk wings elevated and addorsed proper perched on a Shuttle Or and resting the dexter claw on a Millrind Sable.

Motto 'CONSILIO ET PRUDENTIA' - By counsel and by wisdom.
Granted 29th May 1951.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in 1974.

Picture thanks to Reverend Colin Thomson, Atherton.

atherton udc arms

The black diamonds refer to coal mining and the lion's leg is from the arms of the Powys family.
The shuttle and millrind represent the cotton and engineering industries and the sparrowhawk is from the arms of the Atherton family. The second Powys Lord Lilford married the heiress of the Athertons of Atherton Hall in 1797.


AUDENSHAW URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Argent and Gules a Pickaxe and a pierced Mullet in pale counterchanged in dexter chief a Rose of the second and in sinister chief a Rose of the first both barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Mill-Wheel proper between a Rose Argent and a Rose Gules both barbed and seeded proper.

Motto 'FESTINA LENTE' - Hasten slowly.
Granted 17th November 1950.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside in 1974.

audenshaw udc arms

The per pale field and red and white roses indicate the town's proximity to the border between Lancashire and Yorkshire. The pick and mill-wheel refer to local industries, and the molet is from the arms of the Assheton family, Lords of the Manor.


BACUP BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Fesse between two Bales of Cotton in chief Or and a Block of Stone with Lewis attached in base proper a Fleece Sable between two Bees volant of the third in the centre chief point a Squirrel sejant of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Bale of Cotton Or a Stag [proper] gorged with a Collar Vair and resting the dexter forefoot on a Trefoil slipped Gold.

Motto 'HONOR ET INDUSTRIA' - Honour and industry.
Granted 13th March 1883.

Incorporated into the Borough of Rossendale in 1974.

bacup bc arms

The bees stand for the initial letter of the name and refer to industry in general. The bales of cotton, the fleece and the block of stone represent local industries.
The squirrel and stag and symbolic of the old Forest of Rossendale.


BLACKBURN RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Lion rampant Purpure armed and langued Vert on a Chief wavy of the last a Bee volant between two Fusils Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Or charged with three Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper a Mount Vert thereon a Cow statant guardant Argent.

Motto 'SERVA FIDEM' - Keep faith.
Granted 23rd February 1955.

Incorporated into the Borough of Ribble Valley in 1974.

blackburn rdc arms

The shield is largely composed of the arms of the de Lacy family, Lords of Blackburnshire and of the Honour of Clitheroe in the 13th century, who bore a purple lion an a gold ground. Most of the manors and lands in the district were held by them or families connected to them - The Balderstones, Talbots and the Liveseys. The wavy line denotes the River Ribble, which forms the northern boundary. The green chief represents the rural land and agricultural character of the district, the bee represents industry in general and the fusils the cotton industry in particular. The fusil is an heraldic conventionalised spindle and are here coloured gold for prosperity. The fusils are also reminiscent of the emblems in the arms of the County Borough of Blackburn, for the distinguished local Fielden family. The bee also, as in the County Borough arms, gives the initial of the name.
The crest-wreath and mantling are in the de Lacy colours of gold and purple. Upon the wreath stands a mural or walled crown, a symbol of local authority, and an incidental reference to the local brick industry. It is of gold and is charged with the three red roses from the County arms. Within the crown is a mound of grass, and thereon a white cow for the famous strain which used to roam wild in the area, and also for the very important stock raising and dairy farming.
The motto is that of a local family, the Gerstanes of Tockholes. The scroll itself may be taken as a reference to the paper industry.


BOLTON COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules two Bendlets Or a Shuttle with weft pendent between an Arrow point upwards and a Mule Spinning Spindle in chief palewise all of the last and an escutcheon in base of the second thereon a Rose of the first barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: Upon a Rocky Moor an Elephant statant proper on its back a Castle Or and thereon a Rose as in the Arms the trapping per pale Gules and Vert and charged with a Mitre also Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Sable gorged with a Wreath Argent and Sable each supporting a Staff Or flying therefrom a Banner that on the dexter Vair Or and Gules that on the sinister Argent on a Bend Azure three Stags' Heads caboshed Or.
BADGE: Upon an Oval Gules encompassed by a Garland of six Roses also Gules barbed seeded and leaved proper an Arrow point upwards enfiled by a Crown Palisado Or.

Motto 'SUPERA MORAS' - Overcome delays.
Arms and Crest granted 5th June 1890, Supporters and Badge granted 25th September 1958.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton in 1974.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

bolton cbc arms
bolton cb badge
Badge

The two gold bendlets are said to represent the shoulder-belt of a soldier, this was in use before the arms were officially granted. For appropriate difference were added the arrow, in reference to the part played by the Bolton archers at Flodden in 1513, a shuttle and Samuel Compton's mule spindle for the cotton industry, and the red rose of Lancaster.
The 'rocky moor' is in allusion to Bolton's official full name. The elephant and castle which were also in use before the grant of 1890. These are held to derive from the arms of Coventry, with which Bolton has links going back to the middle of the 13th century when Bolton Church was annexed as a prebend to the cathedral Church of Lichfield and came under the authority of the Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry, suggested by the mitre on the tapping, which bears the Coventry colours of red and green. The castle is charged with another rose of Lancaster.
The black lions of Flanders allude to the to the Flemings who settled in Bolton in the 14th century and did much to establish the textile industry. The wreaths of white and black, about their necks, are in the the liveries of numerous local families (e.g. Assheton, Bolton, Bridgeman, Bradshaw, Harrington, Lever, Sharples, Southworth, Starkie and Tipping). The banners depict the arms of the Ferrers Earls of Derby and the Stanley Earls of Derby respectively.
The badge is inspired by the rebus or device of the Bolton family, lords of Little Bolton. This was an arrow ('bolt') thrust through a barrel ('tun') to give a play on the name Bolton. Their 'tun' is replaced by a crown of palisades, the heraldic equivalent of the Saxon 'tun' or stockade.


BOOTLE COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Chevron between three Fleurs-de-Lis Azure as many Stags' Heads caboshed Or on a Chief Sable three Mural Crowns of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Rock a Lighthouse proper.

Motto 'RESPICE ASPICE PROSPICE' - Reflect on the past, consider the present, provide for the future.
Granted 4th November 1869.

bootle cbc arms

The three stags' heads on the chevron are from the arms of the Earls of Derby and the three mural crowns from the arms of the Bootle family. The fleurs-de-lis, with colour reversed, are found in the arms of the Linacres of Yorkshire.
The use of a lighthouse as a crest is rare, and indicates the borough's position at the mouth of the River Mersey.


BURY COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Argent and Azure a Cross party and fretty counter-changed between an Anvil Sable in the First Quarter a Fleece Or in the Second two Shuttles in saltire threads pendent proper in the Third and three Culms of the Papyrus Plant issuing from a Mount also proper in the Fourth.
CREST: Upon a Mount a Bee volant between two Flowers of the Cotton Tree slipped all proper.

Motto 'VINCIT OMNIA INDUSTRIA' - Industry overcomes all things.
Granted 28th February 1877.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Bury in 1974.

bury cbc arms
The emblems represent the iron, wool, cotton and paper-making industries.


CHADDERTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent between two Bendlets engrailed a Mullet Sable pierced of the Field between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper all between as many Griffins segreant also Gules armed and langued Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules Upon an Anvil proper an Eagle wings elevated and addorsed Azure resting the dexter claw on a Shuttle Or.

Motto 'LABOR OMNIA VINCIT' - Labour overcomes all things.
Granted 9th September 1955.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham in 1974.

Picture and information thanks to Mark Johnson, Chadderton Historical Society.

chadderton udc arms

The shield is emblematic of the history of Chadderton incorporating in its design emblems from the manorial families. The Griffins are from the arms of the de Trafford and Chadderton families, the black bendlets are from the Radcliffe arms, from the Assheton family comes the black mullet. The two red roses represent the Horton family and the County of Lancaster.
The crest symbolises industrial history, retaining from the old device the anvil and shuttle to represent the engineering and textile industries, and incorporating an eagle to represent the more recent aircraft industry in British Aerospace.


CHORLEY RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Pale Sable between two Cornflowers stalked leaved and flowered proper a Standish between two Cross Crosslets of the field.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of eight Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper set upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Bull Argent supporting a Beacon Sable fired proper.

Motto 'SPECTEMUR AGENDO' - Let us be judged by our deeds.
Granted 28th April 1952.

chorley rdc arms

The cornflowers are from the arms of the Chorley family, as in the arms of the Borough of Chorley. The black pale represents the A6 trunk road which runs through the District, and the emblems on it stand for the local families of Standish and Charnock.
The red roses are for Lancashire and the mount and beacon represent Rivington Pike. The beacon supported by a white bull is from the heraldry of the de Hoghtons, and also alludes to farming.


CLITHEROE RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of eight Argent and Vert three Whales in fesse haurient in the mouth of each a Crozier Or and each charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from the Battlements of a Tower Purpure a demi Lion Vert gorged with a Ducal Coronet Or pendant therefrom an Escutcheon Argent charged with a pierced Mullet Sable and holding between the claws a Crescent Ermine.

Motto 'NOSTRUM EST RURA TUERI' - Our task is to look after the needs of the countryside.
Granted 9th April 1954.

Incorporated into the Borough of Ribble Valley in 1974.

clitheroe rdc arms

The white waves across the shield represent the four rivers of the Rural District - the Ribble, the Hodder, the Calder and the Loud. The green between these characterises the predominantly rural countryside as well as incorporating an apt reference to the late Mr. James Green, M.B.E., J.P., the donor and at that time Chairman of the Council. The three golden whales and croziers are from the arms of Whalley Abbey which exercised such a strong influence over the life and wellbeing of this area in medieval times and ecclesiastical jurisdiction over a vast parish which included the whole of the Rural District. The red roses are for Lancashire.
The battlements represent historic castle of Clitheroe, for Clitheroe Castle was originally a parish of this Rural District, its keep being depicted on the Council's original seal. The colouring of the tower is note-worthy, for no other civic authority has a purple tower on its arms. This tincture derives from the purple lion of the de Lacy family who built the Norman castle at Clitheroe and enjoyed possession of the Honor of Clitheroe which included the manors of the present Rural District. The green lion derives from the heraldry of the Shireburnes of Stonyhurst and the ermine crescent is the emblem of the ancient Weld family. The golden coronet is from the arms of the illustrious Stanleys, Earls of Derby and the shield displays the arms of the Asshetons to mark their long association with this part of Lancashire. The late Sir Ralph C. Assheton, Bart. was the Council's first Chairman.
The motto defines the policy of this local authority administering a rural area which lies close to a number of the industrial centres of Lancashire.


CROSBY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Cross patée Azure within an orle of ten Billets Satle.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Wreath of Holly fructed proper a demi Griffin holding in the claws a Staff erect proper flying therefrom to the sinister a Banner Azure on a Pale Argent between two Stags' Heads caboshed Or a representation of the Waterloo Medal and Riband proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Sea Horse Azure maned finned and charged on the shoulder with an Anchor Or.

Motto 'VIS UNITA FORTIOR' - Overcome delays.
Granted 7th August 1937.

crosby bc arms

No information currently available.


DARWEN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Fesse wavy with Cottices also wavy Azure between three Sprigs of the Cotton Tree slipped and fructed proper.
CREST: On Wreath of the Coloursin front of a demi Miner habited proper holding over the shoulder a Pick Or a Shuttle fessewise of the last thread pendant proper.

Motto 'ABSQUE LABORE NIHIL' - Nothing without labour.
Granted 7th August 1878, to the Borough of Over Darwen.

darwen bc arms

The wavy fess represents the River Darwen. The cotton, shuttle and miner refer to local industries.


DENTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Argent and Sable two Bars per pale Gules and of the first in chief three pierced Cinquefoils Ermine.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules a Beaver proper charged with two Mullets in pale Or.

Motto 'PERSEVERE'.
Granted 23rd March 1936.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside in 1974.

denton udc arms

The arms were based on a former unofficial device intended to represent the union of the townships of Denton and Haughton, and consisting of a combination of the arms of the two families of those names: "Argent, two bars and in chief three cinquefoils, all gules" (Denton) and "Barry of six pieces sable and argent" (Haughton).
The beaver, which also comes from the old device, is an emblem of the hat industry.


DROYLSDEN URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or three bendlets enhanced Vert in base a Lamb passant proper supporting a Crossstaff flying a bannerArgent charged with a Cross patée Gules.

Motto 'BY CONCORD AND INDUSTRY'.
Granted 16th October 1950.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Tameside in 1974.

droylsden udc arms

The raised bendlets (with the colours changed) are from the arms of the Byron family, Lords of the Manor of Droylsden, who included the famous poet, Lord Byron. Clayton Hall, the early home of the Byron's and its moat still exists along side St Cross Church, Clayton, though now part of Manchester. The Paschal Lamb is the emblem of the Moravian Church, whose settlement was established in Droylsden at Fairfield in 1783. Originally the society had been established at Dukinfield in 1743, but when the lease expired, 54 acres of land were purchased in Fairfield to build a new settlement, which was significant in the development of the town.


ECCLES BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Mount Vert the front elevation of an Ecclesiastical Building masoned proper a Chief Azure thereon between two Sprigs of the Cotton Tree slipped and fructed of the third a Pale Argent charged with a representation of a Nasmyth Steamhammer Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Rock surmounted by a Lighthouse a Ship under sail to the sinister all proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Griffin Gules supporting between the forelegs a Staff Or flying therefrom a forked Pennon Argent charged with three Boars' Heads erased and erect in fess Sable langued Gules.
BADGE A Cog Wheel Sable charged with a Bezant thereon and issuant from a Mount Vert the front elevation of an Ecclesiastical Building masoned proper all encircled by a Wreath of eight Roses Gules barbed seeded and leaved proper.

Motto 'LABORE OMNIA FLORENT' - Everything prospers through effort.
Arms and crest granted 7th November 1893. Supporters and badge granted 5th July 1966.

Incorporated into the City of Salford in 1974.

eccles bc arms

The "ecclesiastical building" gives a play on the name. The steamhammer commemorates James Nasmyth's chief invention and his association with Eccles, and with the cogwheel and cotton sprigs, refers to the principal local industries.
The lighthouse, ship, and waves allude to the importance to Eccles of the Manchester Ship Canal and its situation on the River Irwell.
The griffins are from the arms of the de Trafford family, and the boars' heads are from the arms of the Bartons and Booths. These families held in succession the lordship of the Manor of Barton for several centuries and later gained the full rights for nomination to the benefice of Eccles.
The roses of the badge refer to Lancashire and correspond to the number of wards constituting the borough.


FAILSWORTH URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Argent three Bendlets enhanced per pale Or and of the first on a Chief Ermine a Chapeau of the first turned up Ermine between two Roses also of the first barbed seeded stalked and leaved proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert a Griffin segreant Gules with three Shafts of Lightning issuant from the beak Or and supporting a representation of the Failsworth Pole proper.

Motto 'TRUE WORTH NEVER FAILS'.
Granted 20th January 1948.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham in 1974.

Picture and information thanks to Cllr Jim McMahon, Failsworth Historical Society.

failsworth udc arms

The red and gold bendlets are from the arms of the mediaeval family of de Greilley, Lords of Manchester, who held Failsworth in the 13th century. These are combined with red bendlets on silver from the arms of Robert de Byron, to whom the Manor later passed. The red chapeau (a kind of mediaeval hat) trimmed with ermine represents hat making and the two Lancashire roses show the County allegiance.
The griffin is from the arms of the Chetham family, who succeeded to the former tenure of the Byrons. The three golden shafts of lightning coming from the griffin’s beak refer to Failsworth’s interest in the electrical industry. The Failsworth Pole, a local landmark set up as a token of loyalty to the Crown in 1793 completes the picture.
The motto is, of course, of the punning kind and expresses pride in civic integrity and the high quality of the town’s industrial products.


FARNWORTH BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Chevron between three Hornets volant Or two Cotton Cops of the field.
CREST: Issuant from a Coronet composed of six Roses Gules set upon a Rim Or a Stag's Head affrontée of the last between two Branches of Fern proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Stag and on the sinister side a Lion Azure each gorged with a Collar Or charged with three Roses Gules.

Motto 'JUSTE NES TIMIDE' - Be just and fear not.
Granted 31st October 1939.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton in 1974.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

farnworth bc arms

The hornets, nature's paper-makers, and the cotton cops are indicative of the Borough's industries.
The stag's head is the crest of the Hulton family, and was formerly used by the Farnworth UDC. The ferns are a reference to the name of the Borough - ' the settlement among the ferns'.
The Hulton arms include a lion, and this gives the sinister supporter, while their stag's head crest provides the other. Although the blazon does not say so, the stag is shown without his head of antlers, as a symbol of the community's banding together, for the stag relinquishes his antlers when living in an organized herd.


FLEETWOOD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per saltire nebuly Or and Azure in chief a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper in base an Ancient Galley of the third and in fesse two Martlets of the first.

Motto 'ONWARD'.
Granted 25th August 1933.

Incorporated into the Borough of Wyre in 1974.

fleetwood bc arms

The main colours of gold and blue, the nebuly dividing lines and the martlets are from the arms of the Fleetwood family with particular reference to Sir Peter Hesketh-Fleetwwod, who laid out the town and gave it its name. It was the first planned town of the Victorian era. The red rose refers to Lancashire and the galley to the deep-sea fishing port and that Fleetwood is the believed location of the lost Roman port of Portus Setantorium.


FULWOOD URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Vert and Ermine in chief two Stags' Heads caboshed Or in base an Oak Tree eradicated proper fructed Gold all within a Bordure engrailed of the last.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or charged with three Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper a Mount Vert thereon a Lion passant guardant also proper gorged with a Torse Argent and Azure and resting the dexter forepaw on a Fleur de Lys also Argent.

Motto 'FORTITER ET FIDELITER' - Bravely and Faithfully.
Granted 2nd June 1958 .

fulwood udc arms

The dividing chevron-line, from its resemblance to a roof gable, suggests the character of Fulwood as a residential area. The background of green with two royal stags' heads in gold allude to the ancient hunting forest. They also recall the stags' heads in the shield of the Earls of Derby, who had a lease in Fulwood in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The oak tree with gold acorns at the base, also refers to the true forest woodlands, and links with the device on the Council's seal. It is uprooted to show that much of the original forest has gone, and also to recall the removal of trees and timber from Fulwood Forest by the burgesses of Preston for building and fuel in the early days of the borough's growth. The tree is shown against a background of royal ermine, which is also the "field" of the shield of Roger de Poitou, Lord of Amounderness and of the land between Mersey and Ribble, who was the lord of the forest in the late 11th century. From him was held the fee of Master Forester, long held by the Gernet family, from whose arms the gold engrailed border is taken.
The wreath and mantling in green and white are the main colours of the shield. The crest refers to the connexions of Fulwood with the Duchy, County and Parish of Lancaster. The gold mural crown is appropriate to a residential area and a military station; it is charged with the three roses from the County arms, from which also comes the lion. This in turn derives from the arms of the Duchy, whose liveries, white and blue, are worn around the lion's neck. The lion and rose also occur in the badge of the Loyal (North Lancashire) Regiment stationed at Fulwood. The fleur de lys, emblem of St. Mary, is for the Priory at Lancaster to which Fulwood was granted by Roger de Poitou.
The motto is that of Sir Anthony Browne, who came into the manor in 1551, and is appropriate to the home of the Loyals.


GARSTANG RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fesse Gules and Argent a Fesse wavy barry wavy of four of the second and Azure in chief two Crosiers in saltire Or between as many pierced Cinquefoils Ermine and in base a Rose of the first barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon the Battlements of a Square Tower proper a Lion couchant resting the dexter forepaw on a Garb Or.

Motto 'CURANDUM OMNIUM BONUM' - The welfare of all is our concern.
Granted 9th September 1949.

Incorporated into the Borough of Wyre in 1974.

garstang rdc arms

The white and blue wave across the shield represents the River Wyre flowing through the district. The two ermine cinquefoils are taken from the arms of the Hamilton family, who came into possession of much of the land in the district. The crosiers recall the Abbey of Cockersand and the Rose of Lancaster completes the shield.
The crest is based on an old seal of Garstang itself, a former borough, which used the device of a lion in a curious half-rising attitude which earned it locally the name of "the lion levant". There is little doubt that this was a crudely drawn version of the couchant lion which was the crest of the de Lancasters, who held much of the district in mediaeval times. The wheatsheaf alludes to the agriculture of the district and the battlements of a square tower represents Greenhalgh Castle.


GOLBORNE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Cross engrailed between in chief two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper and in base as many Lozenges Sable two Spindles fessewise points upwards Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Garb Or two Triangular Harrows conjoined by a Ring fessewise Sable.

Motto 'FIDE ET FIDUCIA'.
Granted 10th May 1954.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in 1974.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

golborne udc arms

HASLINGDEN BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Argent on a Fesse wavy Azure between a Lion rampant Purpure holding between the paws a Cinquefoil Ermine in the first quarter six Eagles displayed three two and one Gules in the centre chief point a Rose of the last barbed and seeded proper in the second a Cogwheel Sable in the third a Pickaxe in bend surmounting a Spade in bend sinister entwined by a Chain in arch all proper in the fourth a Shuttle fessewise of the first tipped and furnished with the thread pendent of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount a Rock thereon a Moorcock holding in the beak a Sprig of Hazel between two Branches of Hazel fructed all proper.

Motto 'NOTHING WITHOUT LABOUR'.
Granted 25th March 1892.

Incorporated into the Borough of Rossendale in 1974.

haslingden bc arms

The lion is that of the De Lacy Earls of Lincoln who, in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, held the Honour of Clitheroe, which included the Manor of Haslingden. The six eagles are from arms associated with the Holden family, but not those generally attributed to them. In an article in the Haslingden Observer in August 1930, Mr W.H. Holden advanced the theory that the eagles were adopted by the Holdens as a secondary coat of arms to commemorate the fact that one Robert de Holdene, a follower of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, was concerned in the slaying of Piers Gaveston, who bore six gold eagles on green. The red rose is the County emblem, the blue fess is topographical, and the other emblems stand for local industries.
The moorcock is also from the crest of the Holdens and the hazel is of course allusive to the name, which is said to have been derived from the hazel-trees which formerly abounded.


HEYWOOD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or five Pellets between two Bendlets engrailed the whole between as many Mascles Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of the Trunk of a Tree eradicated fessewise and sprouting to the dexter a Falcon rising proper each wing charged with a Pellet and holding in the beak a Sprig of Oak also proper three Mascles interlaced Or.

Motto 'ALTE VOLO' - I fly high.
Granted 14th May 1881.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale in 1974.

Picture thanks to Michael O'Brien.

heywood bc arms

The arms and crest are based on those of the Heywood family, who bore Argent three Roundels between two Bendlets al Gules and for the crest a Falcon rising from a Tree Trunk proper. The change of colours to gold and black was perhaps intended to represent the iron and coal industries.


HINDLEY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or between two Barrulets wavy Azure a Hind lodged proper between as many Roses Gules barbed and seeded also proper in base a like Rose a Chief wavy Sable charged with three Mascles of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent Azure and Sable two Dragon's Heads couped and addorsed Sable in the mouth of each three Stalks of Wheat about their necks a Chaplet of Oak all proper.

Motto 'PRODESSE' - To serve.
Granted 10th February 1958.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in 1974.

hindley udc arms

The hind refers to the name and was previously used as a device by the Council. The red roses are for Lancashire and the black diamonds for coal mining. No further information available.


HUYTON-WITH-ROBY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure an Eagle wings addorsed and inverted Or perched upon a Cradle proper therein an Infant also proper swaddled Gules on a Chief dancetty of the second three Roses also Gules barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Or a demi Wolf Sable charged on the shoulder with a Fret Argent gorged with a Strap Gold buckled Gules and supporting a Staff of the first flying therefrom a Banner Azure charged with a Cross Moline also Gold.

Motto 'CUM AQUILA ALTE VOLEMUS' - Let us soar high with the eagle.
Granted 10th May 1954.

Additional information thanks to D Woolfall and R J Woolfall.

huyton-with-roby udc arms

The gold and blue shield is derived from the heraldry of the Lathom family who held the Manors of Huyton, Roby and neighbouring Knowsley in the twelfth century. In 1395 the Lathom eastates in Roby and Knowsley passed to the Stanley family (later Earls of Derby) through the marriage of Isabella de Lathom to Sir John Stanley. The Stanley crest, the famous Eagle and Child, forms the main charged in the arms. The red roses represent Lancashire, three in number for Huyton, Roby and the hamlet of Thingwall.
The mural crown and black wolf are from the crest of the Woolfall family, descendants of the Lathoms, who held the manors of Knowsley, Huyton, Roby and Woolfall, from which they took their name. The mural crown is also a common emblem of civic government and the gold cross is the insignia of the Molyneux family of Sefton, who later held the Manor.


KIRKBY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Pair of Scales Or between in chief two Bees volant proper and in base a Cross Moline Gold.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of four Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper set upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Cormorant wings elevated and addorsed hoIding in the beak a Slip of Oak leaved and fructed also proper, Mantled Azure doubled Argent.

Motto 'FIDE ET INDUSTRIA' - By faith and industry.
Granted 25th November 1958.

kirkby udc arms

The gold cross upon the blue background of the shield is the heraldry of the Molyneux family, Earls of Sefton, who eventually possessed the whole manor of Kirkby. The gold pair of scales represents the balanced industries of the great trading estate at Kirkby, and the two bees symbolise the community working and living together here as a complete social unit. A heraldic play on the place name is also incorporated with the cross (representing the old parish church around which the Urban District has developed) and the bees - Kirk-by.
The mantling is in blue and white, which are the livery colours of the Earls of Derby who formerly held a moiety of the manor of Kirkby until it was acquired by the Molyneux family. The crest above the helm comprises a coronet of Lancaster, being a gold rim set with four roses (only three visible) which are here intended to stand for the four areas of Northwood, Old Kirkby, Southdene and Westvale. The celebrated cormorant, or liver bird, from the arms of the City of Liverpool, represents the part played by that city in the development of modern development of Kirkby. Instead of having the familiar seaweed, or laver, in its beak, the bird holds an oak sprig with an acorn which not only symbolises the sturdy and steady growth of the new Urban District from a small beginning but also serves as a reminder that much of Kirkby's original rural character is still being preserved within its boundaries.
The motto re-iterates the connection between the church and this modern industrial town, fusing two ideals which are both always applicable.


KIRKHAM URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Dove volant the dexter wing inverted holding in the beak a Branch of Olive Or on a Chief of the last a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Choughs also proper.
CREST: Issuant from a Circlet thereon four Mullets Gules a demi-Lion Or supporting a Pastoral Staff Gules headed Sable.

Motto 'FIRMA ET STABILIS' - Safe and sure.
Granted 9th September 1950.

Incorporated into the Borough of Fylde in 1974.

kirkham udc arms

The dove and olive branch is from the old Borough seal, and the rose and choughs are from the arms of Christ Church, Oxford, which received the Manor and Rectory of Kirkham from Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries. The rose is also the County emblem.
The mullets are from the arms of the local family of Clifton, seated at Kirkham since the 16th century. The lion is from the arms of Shrewsbury Abbey, to which the Lordship of St. Michael, including Kirkham, was given by Count Roger of Poitou about 1093. The pastoral staff is from the arms of the Abbey of Vale Royal, to which Edward I granted the rectional manor in 1280.
The motto is from the Charter given to Kirkham, at Vale Royal in 1296, enfranchising it as a seignorial borough.


LANCASTER CITY COUNCIL (former)

ARMS: Per fess Azure and Gules in chief a Fleur-de-Lis and in base a Lion passant guardant Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lion passant guardant Azure semé-de-Lis Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion rampant guardant Azure semé-de-Lis and gorged with a Collar Or pendent therefrom an Escocheon Argent charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper.

Motto 'LUCK TO LOYNE'.
Arms confirmed and crest granted 19th July 1907. Supporters granted 20th July 1907.

Incorporated into the City of Lancaster in 1974.

lancaster city (former) arms

The arms are suggested by the arms and badge of Edmund, first Earl of Lancaster (son of Henry III), who bore the royal lions of England with a label of France (i.e. a blue label chaged with gold fleurs-de-lis). He was first among English princes to use as a badge a red rose, derived from the golden rose which his mother, Eleanor of Provence, introduced into our royal heraldry.
The 'Loyne' in the motto is a form of Lune, the river from which the town takes its name. The Latin form was 'Alauna', derived from Gaelic 'al-aon', meaning 'white river'.
Lancaster, Massachusetts on the River Nashua, bears similar arms with the motto, Ad Alaunam ad Nashuam.


LANCASTER RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Fesse Wavy Azure between sixteen Roses Gules Barbed and Seeded proper ten in chief and six in base.
CREST: Issuant from a Coronet composed of four Fleurs-de-Lys set upon a Rim Or a demi-Lion guardant Azure gorged with a Riband Gold pendent therefrom an Escutcheon Argent charged with two Croziers in saltire also Azure and holding between the paws a Garb of the First.

Motto 'SEMPER PROCEDENS' - Ever progressing.
Granted 30th November 1953.

Incorporated into the City of Lancaster in 1974.

lancaster rdc arms

The shield is an heraldic representation of the topography of the district. The blue wave represents the River Lune, and the ten red roses above and the six below is to symbolise the distribution of the sixteen constituent parishes. The white of the shield with the blue of the wave give the colours of the Duchy of Lancaster, and with the red of the roses, give the national colours appropriate to a grant in a Coronation year.
The blue and white livery colours with the ancient crown of fleurs-de-lys and the blue lion, link up with the arms of the City of Lancaster, wherein the Council's offices were situated. The blue croziers on the small white shield are taken from the arms of Cockersand Abbey, and the gold sheaf represents the rural interests.
The motto is connected to the 'Jamais Arriere' (Never Backwards) of the Dukes of Hamilton, formerly of Ashton.


LEIGH BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Argent a Cross quarterly counter-changed between a Spear Head of the last in the first quarter a Mullet Sable in the second a Shuttle fessewise the thread pendant of the last in the third and a Sparrowhawk close proper in the fourth.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours the Battlements of a Tower proper issuant therefrom a Bear's Paw Gules holding a Javelin erect Or.

Motto 'AEQUO PEDE PROPERA' - Hasten steadily.
Granted 23rd December 1899.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in 1974.

leigh bc arms

The emblems are from the heraldry of local families. The spear head represents the Urmestones of Westleigh, the star the Bradshaws, the shuttle the Shuttleworths and the sparrowhawk the Athertons.
The bear's paw is from the crest of Lord Lilford.


LEYLAND URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Saltire Azure between in chief a Water Bouget Gules in fess two Leopard's Faces Sable and in base a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper a Martlet Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Circlet Or charged with three Gouttées Vert a Cubit Arm holding a Motor Wheel proper winged Or between two Sprigs of Cotton proper; Mantled Azure doubled Argent.

Motto 'SEMPER PROFICIMUS' - We progress continually.
Granted 10th November 1950.

Incorporated into the Borough of South Ribble in 1974.

leyland udc arms

The St. Andrew's cross of blue on a white ground indicates the dedication of the Parish Church. This cross, borne black on white, was also the arms of the Baldwin family and the golden martlet is from the arms of the Fleetwood family. Both these families have held the living of Leyland for generations. The water bouget or ancient water skin is from the arms of the Bussels, Barons of Penwortham, who held the manor of Leyland. From them it eventually descended to the Faringtons, from whose arms are taken the black lions' faces. At the base is the familiar rose of Lancaster, signifying a Lancashire Town.
The white and blue of the wreath and mantling are the colours of St. Andrew and of the Duchy of Lancaster. The three green drops represent drops of oil, these refer to the paint and varnish industry. The hand, winged motor wheel and cotton plants refer to historic and modern industrial activities. The tyre of the wheel being also allusive to local rubber works.


LYTHAM ST ANNES BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Argent and Azure a Lymphad Or the sail Sable thereon a Bend of the first charged with three Mullets Gules on a Chief wavy of the second a Cross flory between two Lions rampant Argent.

Motto 'SALIS POPULI SUPREMA LEX' - The welfare of the people is the highest law.
Granted 9th November 1922.

Incorporated into the Borough of Fylde in 1974.

lytham st annes bc arms

The cross and the lions are from the arms of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, the See having owned the Benedictine Priory founded at Lytham by Roger FitzRoger in the reign of Richard I.
The waves represent the sea and the ship is from the device of the former St Annes-on-Sea UDC. The arms on the sail are those of the Clifton family of Lytham Hall.


MIDDLETON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly per pale nebuly Gules and Argent on a Fesse Ermine between a Cross patonce of the second in the first quarter a Mullet Sable pierced of the field in the second a Silkworm Moth volant in the third and a Rock in base thereon a Stork in the fourth three Sprigs of the Cotton Tree slipped and fructed all proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert between two Boars' Heads erect and couped Sable a Tower proper suspended therefrom by a Riband Gules an Escocheon Or charged with a Lion passant also Gules.

Motto 'FORTIS IN ARDUIS' - Strong in difficulties.
Granted 28th January 1887.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale in 1974.

middleton bc arms

Most of the emblems are derived from the arms of various families named Middleton. Red and gold quarters with a silver cross flory in the first quarter were the arms of Middleton of Middleton Hall, Lancashire. The black spur-rowel is from the arms of the family of Assheton. The cotton and the silkworm moth represent local industries, and the stork, it is alleged, represents the desire for the increase of the population.
A blue boar's head erect is the crest of another family with the name Middleton and the lion rampant on a tower was the crest of the Earl of Middleton, whose motto was that adopted by the Borough.


NELSON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Chevron Argent between two Sprigs of the Cotton Tree slipped and fructed in chief and a Fleece in base Or two Reed-Hooks chevron-wise proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Shuttle fessewise Or a Cock Gules holding in the beak a Sprig of the Cotton Tree slipped and fructed proper.

Motto 'BY INDUSTRY AND INTEGRITY'.
Granted 5 May 1891.

Incorporated into the Borough of Pendle in 1974.

nelson bc arms

The references to the cotton and wool industries are obvious. The reed-hooks also are symbolic of textile weaving.
The cock is derived from the arms of the Tunstall family, formerly considerable landowners in the locality and largely engaged in the cotton industry.


OLDHAM COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Sable a Chevron invected plain cottised Or between three Owls Argent on a Chief engrailed of the second a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Annulets also Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Rock thereon an Owl Argent three Roses fessewise Gules barbed and seeded proper.

Motto 'SAPERE AUDE' - Dare to be wise.
Granted 7th November 1894.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Oldham in 1974.

oldham cbc arms

The arms are based on those of the ancient family of Oldham, which are Sable a chevron Or between three Owls Argent on a Chief Or three Roses Gules. The owls suggest that the family, like the town, called itself 'Owdham', and adopted the birds in allusion to its name. The red roses are not derived imme­diately from the emblem of the Duchy of Lancaster, but are taken from the arms of the Oldham family. It is, however, possible that the family set the red roses on their shield to denote their Lancastrian sympathies.
The motto refers to the owls, as they are birds of wisdom.


POULTON-LE-FYLDE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on Water barry wavy proper a Lymphad sail furled Or flags Argent charged with a Cross Gules on a Chief of the second a Rose of the fourth barbed and seeded proper between to Crosses formy also of the fourth.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a representation of Poulton-le-Fylde Market Cross and Stocks proper.

Motto 'SUB CRUCE FLOREAMUS' - May we flourish beneath the cross.
Granted 3rd November 1950.

Incorporated into the Borough of Wyre in 1974.

poulton udc arms

The ancient ship on water refers to the former port at Skippool ('ship pool') and to the name of Poulton ('the town by the pool'). Its sail is furled to indicate that in modern times the ancient port had lost its former importance. The red rose represents the County and two crosses are emblems of St Chad, patron saint of the parish. The crosses indicate the importance of Poulton as the centre of an ecclesiastical district for many generations before its more populous neighbours were formed into separate parishes, and indicate the great part played in the life of the town by its various churches.
The blue and gold of the crest-wreath are those of the Fleetwood family whose monuments are to be found in the Church and who were for generations connected with the manor and living. The main part of the crest takes the form of the stocks and market cross - the most familiar objects in Poulton for a great many years.
The motto alludes to the crosses in the shield and the market-cross in the crest, and refers to the town's importance as both an ecclesiastical and commercial centre.


PREESALL URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Chevron between in chief two Griffin's Heads erased and in base a Martlet Or a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Fountains.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an ancient Galley sails furled Or with Pennons of St. George and pendent from the mast-head by a Knot Azure a Cross-Bow Gules.

Motto 'PRAE SALEM NOTANDA' - Famed for salt or The well-kown place by the sea.
Granted 2nd June 1950.

Incorporated into the Borough of Wyre in 1974.

The chevron and griffins' heads are from the arms of the Elletson family of Parrox Hall and the martlet is from the arms of the Fleetwood family of Hackinsall Hall. The rose refers to the County, and the fountains allude to the Fairy Well and the salt or brine workings.
The ship indicates the maritime associations of the distiict, including its ancient fisheries and ferry. The knot stands for Knott End, and the cross-bow (or arbalest) is for Geoffrey l'Arbalestier, who received the Manor of Preesall and Hackinsall in 1190, and was the ancestor of local families.
The motto comprises a play on the name.


PRESTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per saltire Vert and Or a Fess wavy Azure charged with another wavy Argent between in chief an Eagle displayed and in base a Castle of three towers of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Dragon without wings passant head erect and tail nowed Argent gorged with a Mural Crown Gules and grasping with the dexter forepaw a Rose also Gules barbed seeded stalked and leaved proper.

Motto 'UNITATE PRAESTANS' - Excelling by unity.
Granted 28th July 1948.

Incorporated into the Borough of Ribble Valley in 1974.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

preston rdc arms

The shield represents pastoral and arable land crossed by the River Ribble. The eagle stands for the Roman settlement at Ribchester and the castle for the stronghold of the Barons of Penwortham.
The dragon is from the crest of the Faringtons of Worden, the mural crown is a common civic emblem and the rose is for the County.
The motto contains a play on the name.


PRESTWICH BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Pile between two Roses gules barbed and seeded proper two Swans' Heads erased Ermine in chief and a Fleur-de-Lys of the first in base.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lozenge Azure charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Argent between two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper.
SUPPORTERS To the dexter a Wyvern reguardant Or and to the sinister a Lion reguardant Argent each gorged with a Riband and suspended therefrom a Lozenge Azure charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Argent.

Motto 'RECTE FAC NOLI TIMERE' - Do right, fear not.
Arms and Crest granted 20th September 1939 to the Prestwich Urban District Council. Supporters granted to the Borough 10th Novem­ber 1939.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Bury in 1974.

prestwich bc arms

The white background or field can be seen as representing to district of Whitefield, the two refer to Lancashire. The swans' heads are from the arms of Baron Cawley of Prestwich, the Charter Mayor and the fleur-de-lis, often used as the symbol of St Mary, indicates the dedication of the Parish Church.
The lozenges, which resemble spindles in shape, represent the cotton industry. The supporters are derived from the wyvern and lion of the Egerton family, Earls of Wilton, duly differenced.


RADCLIFFE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent two Bendlets engrailed Sable between a Cross potent voided of the field and a Rose of the third barbed Vert seeded Or.
CREST: Upon a Mural Crown a Lion passant guardant Or the dexter forepaw resting on a Pheon Sable.
SUPPORTERS On the dexter side a Bull Argent armed and unguled gorged with a Mural Crown attached thereto a Chain reflexed over the back Or and charged on the shoulder with a Fleur-de-Lys Sable and on the sinister side a Lion Sable gorged and chained as the dexter and charged on the shoulder with a Fleur-de-Lys Argent.

Motto 'INDUSTRIA DIDAT' - Industry enriches.
Granted 10th September 1935.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Bury in 1974.

radcliffe bc arms

The black bendlets are from the arms of the Radcliffe family, the cross from those of Pilkington, and the red rose is that of the County of Lancaster.
The pheon is from the arms of the Egerton family, Barons Grey de Radcliffe, and the lion and fleurs-de-lis are from the arms of the City of Lancaster, the black and white of the latter being symbolic of the coal and cotton industries.
The supporters are those of the Radcliffe family, differenced by the addition of mural crowns, symbol of civic government.


RAWTENSTALL BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Fesse Gules between two Stags trippant at gaze in chief proper and a Mound in base Vert thereon two Cows grazing and respecting each other Sable a Wolf courant of the first between two Bales of Wool of the third in the chief point a sinister Hand couped at the wrist of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount a Squirrel sejant cracking a Nut between two Sprigs of the Cotton Tree slipped leaved and fructed all proper.

Motto 'FLORET QUI LABORAT' - He prospers who labours.
Granted 16th July 1871.

Incorporated into the Borough of Rossendale in 1974.

rawtenstall bc arms

The squirrel, stags, and wolf are emblems of the Forest of Rossendale which once surrounded Rawtenstall. There is a tradition that before the deforestation, in the reign of Henry VII, the squirrel could leap from tree to tree. Wolves haunted the forest, and one part of the Borough formerly bore the name 'Wolfenden Booth'. The red hand, cut off at the wrist, recalls the penalty for killing the King's deer. The cows represent agriculture; the Borough includes a former hamlet called Cowpe, anciently Cowup, said to have been a place in the uplands where cows used to graze. The cotton and woolpacks stand for modern industries.


ROCHDALE COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Woolpack encircled by two Branches of the Cotton Tree flowered and conjoined proper a Bordure Sable charged with eight Martlets of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Millrind Sable and above a Fleece Argent banded Or.

Motto 'CREDE SIGNO' - Believe in the sign.
Granted 20th February 1857.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Rochdale in 1974.

rochdale cbc arms

The fleece, woolpack, cotton and millrind represent the traditional wool, cotton and iron industries, whilst the martlets or heraldic swallows are common to the arms of various early lords of the manor and other local families.
The motto is based upon that of Lord Byron of Rochdale.


ST HELENS COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent two Bars Azure over all a Cross Sable in the first and fourth quarters a Saltire Gules and in the second and third a Griffin sergeant of the third.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lion passant guardant proper charged on the body with two two Fleurs-de-Lys Gules resting the dexter fore paw on an Ingot of Silver.

Motto 'EX TERRA LUCEM' - Light out of the earth.
Granted 17th January 1876.

st helens cbc arms

The blue bars are from the arms of the Parr family, Marquises of Northampton, and the black cross is from those of the Ecclestons. The saltires are from the arms of the Gerards, in 1435, at Windleshaw, a chantry chapel was built and endowed by Sir Thomas Gerard. The griffins recall the Bold or Bould family.
The lion the is from the crest of the Walmsleys and the two fleurs-de-lys refer to Sir David Gamble, first Mayor and benefactor of the town, and the Haydock family.


SALFORD CITY AND COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure semee of Bees volant a Shuttle between three Garbs Or on a Chief of the last a Bale corded proper between two Mill-Rinds Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi Lion Argent supporting a Lance proper therefrom flowing to the sinister a Flag Azure charged with a Shuttle Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Wolf Or around the neck a Chain and pendent therefrom an Escocheon Gules charged with a Mill-Rind also Or on the sinister side an Heraldic Antelope Argent armed crined and unguled Or around the neck a Chain and pendent therefrom an Escocheon Gules charged with a Rose also Argent.
BADGE: Within a Collar Argent fimbriated Or set thereon four Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper and as many Letters S also Gules alternately a Hurt thereon issuant from a Wreath of Sallow a demi Lion also Argent.

Motto 'INTEGRITY AND INDUSTRY'.
Arms and Crest granted 5th November 1844. Supporters granted 6th November 1844. Badge granted 15th September 1959.

Incorporated into the City of Salford in 1974.

salford cbc arms

The three wheatsheaves on blue refer to the Earldom of Chester, of which Salford was anciently part. The bees stand for industry, the shuttles and bale for cotton, and the millrinds for iron.
The wolf is a further reference to Cheshire, being that of Hugh Lupus, first Earl of Chester. The heraldric antelope (which is also a supporter of Manchester) is a Beaufort emblem and represents the Earldom and later Duchy of Lancaster, to which Salford subsequently passed.


SOUTHPORT COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Fesse dancettee between in chief three Cross-crosslets fitchee Sable and in base upon Waves of the Sea a Lymphad proper flags flying Gules.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Or a Cross-crosslet fitchee as in the Arms entwined by a Serpent Gold.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI' - The welfare of the people.
Granted 28th April 1923.

Note:- The illustration has a what appears to be a naval crown rather that a mural crown.

southport cbc arms

The arms were based on an unauthorized device, formerly in use, which had a lifeboat instead of the old ship, and differed in a few other ways. The original device was designed by Dr Craven, a local councillor; and he appears to have based it upon the arms of his own family — "Agent a Fess dancetty between six Cross-crosslets pointed at the foot all Gules".
The crosslet entwined by a serpent bears a resemblance to the emblem known as Aaron's Rod, or the Rod of Aesculapius, and represents healing. The mural crown is a frequent symbol of civic government.


STRETFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Fesse Gules between in chief a Flail and a Scythe in saltire proper between two Roses of the second barbed and seeded and in base upon Waves of the Sea a Lymphad sail furled oars in action proper a Lion passant Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Coronet composed of eight Roses as in the Arms set upon a Rim Or a Cubit Arm the Hand proper grasping a Thunderbolt Gold, Mantled Gules doubled Or.

Motto 'SERVICE AND EFFICIENCY'.
Granted 20th February 1933, to the Stretford Urban District Council.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in 1974.

stretford bc arms

The flail is from the crest of the de Trafford family and the lion stands for John of Gaunt. The roses are for Lancashire and the scythe recalls the agricultural nature of the area in the past. The lymphad indicates Stretford's long association with the sea by means of the rivers Mersey and Irwell.
The thunderbolt represents the town's industrial development, in which electricity has played a major role.


SWINTON AND PENDLEBURY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Cockatrice Or on a Chief per pale of the second and Argent a Lion passant guardant between two Roses of the first barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Coronet composed of six Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper set upon a Rim Or a Boar's Head erased Argent armed Azure.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion rampant Or holding in the interior paw a Pickaxe Gules.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI SUPREMA LEX' - The welfare of the people is the highest law.
Granted 1st October 1934.

Incorporated into the City of Salford in 1974.

Picture thanks to Eric Heaton, Swinton.

swinton and pendlebury bc arms

The golden cockatrice - an heraldic monster, half bird and half dragon- is taken from the arms of the Langley family, who held lands in Pendlebury from the early part of the 15th Century. The lion is taken from the ancient arms of the Pendlebury family and the two red roses represent Lancashire.
The boar's head or swine's head is an allusion to the breeding of swine for which Swinton was noted in early days. The coronet consists of Lancastrian roses.
The two lions for the supporters constitute a further allusion to the arms of the Langley family, and the pickaxes indicate an important local industry, that of coal mining.


THORNTON CLEVELEYS URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a representation of the Thornton Marsh Mill proper on a Chief Or issuant from a Barrulet wavy per fesse wavy Azure and Argent a Sun rising Gules.
CREST: On a Mount Vert issuant from a Coronet composed of four Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper set upon a Rim Or a Wolf reguardant Argent supporting with the dexter forepaw a Flagstaff also proper flying therefrom a Banner Azure charged with a Saltire also Argent.

Motto 'TERRA MARIQUE' - On land and sea.
Granted 24th October 1950.

Incorporated into the Borough of Wyre in 1974.

thornton cleveleys udc arms

The shield and crest each represent the union of Thornton and Cleveleys.
In the former, Thornton is represented by the old windmill, built 1794 and still standing, and said to be the finest of several in the Fylde area. It is placed on a green field to indicate the agricultute of Thornton. Cleveleys is represented by the blue and white sea, golden sands, and red sun for the famous sunsets observed there.
The coronet of Lancaster contains the reguardant wolf crest of the Fleetwoods, former Lords of the Manor which included Thornton, supporting a banner of St Andrew, patron of the modern parish of Cleveleys.
The motto indicates the district's dependance on the land and sea for its livelihood, combining an agricultural area and a seaside resort.


URMSTON URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Azure and barry wavy Argent and of the first on a Chevron Ermine between in chief a Griffin segreant and an Oak Tree eradicated Or and in base a Bezant charged with an Anvil Sable a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper between two Martlets also Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Squirrel sejant proper holding with the forepaws a Balance Or.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI SUPREMA EST LEX' - The welfare of the people is the highest law.
Granted 10th June 1942.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in 1974.

urmston udc arms

The chevron and martlets are from the heraldry of the local families of Ashawe and Hyde, and the griffin, with a change in colour, is from the arms of the de Traffords. The oak tree alludes to the preservation of the rural aspect of the area, while the anvil and waves refer to industry, the River Mersey and the Ship Canal.
The squirrel is from the heraldry of the De Orneston family and the balance is an emblem of St. Michael, to whom the parish church is dedicated.


WARRINGTON COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Ermine six Lioncels rampant three two and one Gules within a Bordure Azure charged with eight Covered Cups Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Rock proper a Unicorn rampant Argent armed maned and unguled supporting a Flagstaff Or thereon hoisted a Flag flying to the sinister per pale Argent and Azure charged with a Rose Gules barbed and seeded of the first and a Garb of the second.

Motto 'DEUS DAT INCREMENTUM' - God giveth the increase.
Granted 18th May 1897.

warrington cbc arms

The ermine shield bearing six lioncels symbolises the family of the first Lord of Warrington, Paganus de Vilars, around which is a blue border bearing eight golden covered cups representing the Boteler or Butler family to whom the Manor and Barony of Warrington passed.
The unicorn its that of the Boteler family and the flag bears the emblems of Lancashire and Cheshire, because of Warrington's position on the borders of both counties.


WHISTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Griffin segreant Sable the beak and forelegs Or charged on the shoulder with an Escallop of the field in chief three Crescents Gules all within a Bordure of the second charged with eleven Ermine Spots also of the Field.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules within a Circlet composed of four Fleurs-de-Lys Argent and as many Mullets Sable alternately a Mount Vert thereon an Eagle rising neck embowed Or in the beak a Rose Gules barbed seeded stalked leaved and slipped proper.

Motto 'LABORS SI VIS TONDERE' - Work if you would reap.
Granted 22nd January 1957.

whiston rdc arms

The arms perpetu­ates the history of the parishes of this Rural District by reference to their old manorial families. The griffin comes from the arms of the Bold family of Bold and the crescent comes from the Ogles of Whiston. The Eagle in the crest refers to the Stanleys and it holds in its beak the Red rose of Lancaster.


WIDNES BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Argent and Azure a Cross per cross quarterly counterchanged in the first and fourth quarters a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper and in the second and third a Beehive between four Bees volant saltirewise Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Furnace thereon an Alembic all Or.

Motto 'INDUSTRIA DITAT' - Industry enriches.
Granted 5th June 1893.

widnes bc arms

The red roses refer to the Lancashire County connection and the bees are emblems of industry.
The furnace and alembic, an old piece of distilling apparatus, refer to the particular form of industry for which Widnes is noted, namely alkali and soap manufacture.


WIGAN COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Castle with three towers Argent surmounted by a Crown composed of Fleur de Lis Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a King's Head affrontee couped below the shoulders proper vested Gules crowned and crined Or a Lion couchant guardant Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Or holding in the exterior paw a Branch of Mountain Ash proper.

Motto 'ANCIENT AND LOYAL'.
Granted 28th April 1922.

Incorporated into the Metropolitan Borough of Wigan in 1974.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

wigan cbc arms

The castle is derived from the towered of castled gateway, that appears on the town's earliest seal, dating from the 12th century.
The king's head represents no particular king, but from the point of view of the town it symbolises especially Henry I, whose likeness it is though appears above the gateway in the above mention seal. The Royal lion, again, marks another important period in Wigan's history. Edward III, by charter of 1350, granted Wigan the right to use a royal seal known as the "King's Recognaisance Seal", on which was figured the King's head and the royal lion.
The branches of mountain ash, known in northern dialects as the Wiggin or Wigan tree, form a rebus on the name of the town. The wiggin tree, has tradition behind it, as it is a prominant feature of several of the town's medieval seals.
The motto is in keeping with arms, with its many symbols of antiquity and royal favour.


WORSLEY URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Lion rampant Gules on a Chief of the last a Fountain between two Lozenges of the field on each a Pheon Sable.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of eight Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper set upon a Rim Or a demi Lion Sable gorged with a Wreath of Oak also proper and holding between the paws a Cross patonce Argent.

Motto 'NON NOBIS SOLUM' - Not for ourselves alone.
Granted 14th February 1956.

Incorporated into the City of Salford in 1974.

worsley udc arms

No further information currently available.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page