HUMBERSIDE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Per fess Sable and Gules on a Fess wavy Argent between in chief a Coronet Or between two Roses Argent barbed and seeded proper and in base two Fleurs de Lis Or a Bar wavy Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules rising from Flames proper a demi-Eagle Azure Goutté d'Or armed also Gold holding in the beak a Sword point downwards proper hilt and pommel Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter a Dolphin Argent finned Or charged on the shoulder with a Terrestrial Globe Azure the land masses Or supporting an Anchor proper and on the sinister a Female Figure habited representing Ceres with Cornucopia all proper upon a Compartment per pale Water barry wavy Azure and Argent and a Grassy Field proper.

Motto 'UNITED WE FLOURISH'.
Granted 28th July 1976.

The County of Humberside was formed in 1974 from the City of Kingston upon Hull, the northern part of the Parts of Lindsey - Lincolnshire and the majority of the East Riding of Yorkshire. It was abolished in 1996.

humberside cc arms

The white and blue waves represent the River Humber. The two white roses are for Yorkshire and the ducal coronet is from the arms of Kingston-upon-Hull. The two gold fleur-de-lys are for Lincolnshire.
The blue eagle is from the arms of the East Riding County Council, here issuing from flames - an allusion to the phoenix, the new issuing from the old. The droplets refer to North Sea Oil, while the sword alludes to strength and security.
The silver dolphin and anchor symbolis the industry of the county's ports, while the globe refers to the trade with Europe and other parts of the world. Ceres, goddess of agriculture, represents farming in Humberside. The compartment symbolises the coastline and rural aspects of the county while the motto is a reference to the unification of North and South banks of the Humber.


BEVERLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent three Bars wavy and a chief Azure thereon a Castor Beaver reguardant biting at the fur Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from an Ancient Crown of Fleurs-de-Lys Or in front of a representation of Skidby Mill proper two Crosiers in saltine Sable.
SUPPORTERS: On tne dexter side a Lion Azure charged on the shoulder with a Sword erect Argent hilt and pommel Or enflamed proper and on sinister side a Stag proper charged on the shoulder with a Cross patonce Argent.
BADGE: In front of a Cross patonce Argent a Fountain fimbraited and charged with a Castor Beaver as in the Arms Or.

Motto 'HAULTE EMPRISE' - High endeavour.
Granted 1974?.

The Borough of Beverley was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Beverley, the Haltemprice Urban District and the Beverley Rural District. It was abolished in 1996.

beverley bc arms
beverley badge
Badge

The shield is that used by the former Beverley Borough Council, registered as a seal device without colours in 1584. The beaver and waves are an obvious interpretation of the old form of the name 'Beverlac'.
The crest features Skidby Tower windmill from the Beverley RDC crest. One of the crosiers and the crown are from the arms of Beverley Minster, and the other crosier is for Haltemprice Priory.
The blue lion is that of the Percy family, seen on their tomb in Beverley Minster, and the hart from the crest of Haltemprice UDC, recalling the Wapentake of Harthill. The flaming sword of the Hotham family is taken from the Beverley RDC arms, and the white cross from the shields of Haltemprice Priory and the Haltemprice UDC.
The motto is that formerly used by Haltemprice.


CLEETHORPES BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent an Ancient Ship of three Masts proper each flying a forked Pennon of St.George the Mainsail charged with an Escallop Azure and the fore and mizzin sails charged with like Escallops Sable on a Chief engrailed Azure a Beehive between two Garbs Or.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of Ears of Wheat and as many Acorns leaved set upon a Rim Or a Mount Vert thereon a Pelican Argent vulning herself Gules gorged with a Strap Vert buckled Or; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: Dexter a Cleethorpes Fisherman holding in the exterior hand a Net all proper sinister a Norseman holding in the exterior hand a Shield all proper.
BADGE: Standing upon the back of a Dolphin embowed Vert finned Gules an Owl Or.

Motto 'VIGILANT IN FAITH AND INDUSTRY'.
Granted 1974?.

The Borough of Cleethorpes was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Cleethorpes and the Grimsby Rural District. It was abolished in 1996.

cleethorpes bc arms
cleethorpes badge
Badge

The main charge is an ancient ship, like that in the arms of the Grimsby RDC, it represents the district's ports, principally Immingham. On the sails are scallop shells, a blue one from the former Borough of Cleethorpes arms, and two black ones from the Grimsby RDC arms. The beehive and two sheaves or garbs, show the combination of industry and agriculture in the district.
The colours of the mantling, blue and gold, suggest sea and sand and the rural crown, like that in the Grimsby RDC crest, is a form of coronet granted to rural district councils. The pelican, seen in the former Borough crest, is from the arms of the Earl of Yarborough. Around the bird's neck is a leather strap from the arms of the Pelham family. The strap commemorates the capture of the King of France by Sir John Pelham at the Battle of Poictiers.
The supporters are those of the former Borough, but have been transposed for heraldic difference.
The motto combines Cleethorpes' "Vigilantes" with Grimsby RDC's "By Faith and Industry".


EAST YORKSHIRE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert in chief a Rose Argent barbed and seeded [proper] between two Garbs Or in base a Ram's Head caboshed Argent armed Or within a Bordure gobony wavy Azure and Argent overall on a Chief embattled Gold three Crosses flory Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Vert a a Mount cleft pilewise Vert thereon two Crosiers also pile wise heads outward Or grasped in the talons Sable of an Eagle displayed Azure beaked Sable and charged on the breast with an Ear of Barley proper; Mantled Vert and Azure doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On a Compartment representing the Banks of the River Derwent and thereover Stamford Bridge proper to the dexter a Lion Or and to the sinister a Mermaid proper crined and with tail fins Gold.
BADGE: Within a Chaplet of Barley proper set with three Roses Argent barbed and seeded proper an Eagle displayed Azure beaked and legged Sable and gorged with a Mural Crown per pale of the last and Argent.

Motto 'PRO BONO DEO ET PUBLICO' - For the good of God and the public.
Granted 9th February 1976 to the North Wolds Borough Council.

The Borough of East Yorkshire (formerly the Borough of North Wolds) was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Bridlington, the Driffield Urban District, part of the Bridlington Rural District, the Driffield Rural District and the Pocklington Rural District. It was abolished in 1996

east yorkshire bc arms

The blue and white border represents the sea and the three crosses symbolise the numerous Saxon and Norman churches in the Borough. The sheaves and white rose, like those in the arms of the Pocklington RDC, refer to agriculture and Yorkshire. The ram's head, like that in the arms of the Driffield UDC, refers to the area as a great agricultural centre. The embattled chief is like that of the Borough of Bridlington.
The two croziers stand for the part religion has played in the area. The eagle is like that in the arms of the former East Riding CC. The ear of barley is a token of the product so largely grown in North Wolds as well as the malting mill on the outskirts of Bridlington. The mound upon which the croziers rest represents the Wolds in general and by its 'V' shaped indentation at the summit, archaeological excavations which have been carried out in the past 100 years.
The mermaid represents the beauty of the North Wolds Coastline and the lion simply England. The Bridge represents the banks of the River Derwent and Stamford Bridge.


GLANFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry Wavy of six Argent and Vert a Pale Ermine over all Two Keys in saltire wards upward and outward Or on a Chief Sable a representation of the Brigg Bridge proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Or Flames proper issuant therefrom a Lincolnshire Red Shorthorn Bull's Head proper charged on the neck with three Links of Chain in Fess Or.
BADGE: A Roundel Vert charged with a Pale Ermine surmounted of two Keys in saltire wards upward and outward Or over all in Fess a representation of the Brigg Bridge proper.

Motto 'ALWAYS READY'.
Granted 23rd December 1975.

The Borough of Glanford was formed by the amalgamation of the Barton-upon-Humber Urban District, the Brigg Urban District and the Glanford Brigg Rural District. It was abolished in 1996.

glanford bc arms
glanford badge
Badge

The arms are based on those of the Glanford Brigg RDC, duly differenced to rep­resent the whole new area of the Borough of Glanford. The background of the shield is topographical, representing the Rivers Humber, Trent and Ancholme in the green countryside, with the Roman Ermine Street running north through the Borough. The golden crossed keys are those of St. Peter, Patron Saint of Barton-upon-Humber. At the head of the shield is the Brigg Bridge, used as a badge by the Brigg UDC. It is set against a field of black, taken from the arms of the Augustinian or Black Canons, who had a foundation at Thornton Curtis.
The crest is again similar to that of the former Glan­ford Brigg RDC, neces­sarily differenced by the addition of a golden mural crown, a familiar symbol of local government and here reminiscent of Gilbert De Gaunt's castle at Barton-upon-Humber. The flames allude to the steel industry and the Conoco and Lindsey Oil Refineries, the bull's head to the farming and agricul­tural industry. The three links were the device of the Lincolnshire Sugar Com­pany and refer to the sugar beet industry. They also felicitously refer to the linking of the three former authorities, and their colour has been changed to gold as an augury of future prosperity.
The motto is that of the Glanford Brigg RDC and is an English translation of the Nelthorpe family motto 'Tout Jours Prest'.


GREAT GRIMSBY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Chevron between three Boars' Heads couped Sable armed Or.

Exemplification by the College of Arms dated 25th November 1974, which quotes them as having been recorded by Herald's Visitations in 1592 and 1694 and elsewhere they are stated to have been recorded by a visitation in 1594. The Exemplification is said by the College of Arms to be "in accordance with their recording to Grimsby by the Visitation of the Heralds in 1592", and restores to the blazon 'armed or' (the gilding of the tusks) which had come to be omitted.

The Borough of Great Grimsby was coterminious with the former County Borough of Grimsby. It was abolished in 1996.

Picture and additional information courtesy of Robin Foster.

grimsby bc arms

It is popularly believed that the boars' heads allude to a right of the Mayor and Aldermen to hunt boar in Bradley Woods but the only evidence to support this is the medieval Mayoral Seal, which appears to depict a boar hunt. Several families connected with Grimsby had similar charges on their arms. A family of de Grymesby bore chevrons on their arms, and a Member of Parliament for Grimsby elected in 1762, William Broxholme of Barrow who was later also Mayor and Recorder of the town, bore a chevron between three brocks' (badgers') heads.
The earliest surviving impressions of the Corporation Seal using the arms date from the mid-seventeenth century, and when the largest of the town's three maces was remodelled in 1645 the arms were used to decorate the end of its shaft. Earlier Corporation documents were sealed with the Grim and Havelock Seal and as an impression of it has survived on a final concord dated 1694, both seals seem to have been in use at that time.


HOLDERNESS BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per saltire the chief Azure charged with a Sun in splendour Or the base barry wavy Argent and Azure the dexter flaunch per fess Vert and Sable the sinister flaunch per fess Sable and Vert each charged with a rose Argent barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or Vert and Sable within a Mural Crown Argent charged with a Saltire Gules an Ancient Ship with one mast and two sails set standing on the poop a Man with Cocked Hat and Telescope beneath his sinister arm Sable; Mantled parted Vert and Sable doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Mermaid on her head a Roman Helm proper and holding in her exterior hand a Trident Or and on the sinister side a Triton on his head a Horned Danish Helm proper and brandishing with his exterior hand a Sword Argent pommel and hilt Or.
BADGE: A Viking Ship with sail and pennon flying within an Annulet compony Or and Argent.

Motto 'THINK RIGHT DO RIGHT'.
Granted 30th March 1978.

The Borough of Holderness was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Hedon, the Hornsea Urban District, the Withernsea Urban District and the Holderness Rural District. It was abolished in 1996.

holderness bc arms

At the top of the shield upon a blue ground is a representation of the sun shedding its energy form the blue skies of Holderness and is part of the arms of the Hornsea UDC. The wavy blue bars on a white ground represent the North Sea and the River Humber that bound Holderness on its eastern and southern sides. The black and green areas at the sides or flanks of the shield represent both the industrial and the rural character of the Borough and each are charged with the white rose to symbolise that Holderness was historically part of the East Riding of Yorkshire.
The mural crown is commonly used in civic heraldry and the red cross is that of St. Patrick, symbolising the beautiful church of St Patrick at Patrington, that dominates the plain of South Holderness and is well named the Queen of Holderness. A proper representation of this Church formed the crest of the the Holderness RDC. The ancient ship with sails, a man in a naval cocked hat and with a telescope under his arm are derived from the device used by the ancient Borough Hedon. The town early in the 12th century was the centre of commerce and the principal Humber Port and was an established and thriving medieval town and this ship figured on the Town Seal of many centuries.
The mermaid carrying her gold trident and wearing a Roman helmet, was in mythology, the protector of fishermen, her helmet signifies the settlement of Holderness, by the Romans. The Triton waving his sword and wearing the Danish horned helmet represents the Vikings who crossed the North Sea, landed on our coast and penetrated the Humber creeks to settle in the fertile plain of Holderness. Many Holderness villages bear names of Danish origin and the speech of the Danes contributed greatly to the old dialect of the area.


SCUNTHORPE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert a Chain of five links in fesse between in Chief two Shells (Gryphoea incurva) and in base a Garb Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours the Top of a Blast-Furnace issuant therefrom Flames all proper.

Motto 'THE HEAVENS REFLECT OUR LABOURS'.
Granted 25th September 1936.

The Borough of Scunthorpe was coterminious with the former Borough of Scunthorpe. It was abolished in 1996.

scunthorpe bc arms

The green background and wheatsheaf reflects the town's agricultural heritage and the two shells (Gryphoea incurva) is the fossil most commonly found in the ironstone of the area. The wheatsheaves also allude to the family of Sheffield which held the Manor of Kirton, of which Scunthorpe formed a part, Sir Berkley Sheffield was Charter Mayor. The towns's Charter being one of only four granted dur­ing the short reign of King Edward VIII. The five steel links depict the original five parishes of Ashby, Brumby, Crosby, Frodingham and Scunthorpe that formed the town.
The blast furnace and the chain represent the iron and steel industries upon which the modern development of the town is based.
The motto comes from the frequent illumination of the sky which used to be a familiar sight at night time due to activity at the steelworks. It was previously used in its Latin form "Refulget labores nostros coelum".


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page