EAST ANGLIA AND ESSEX AREA
east anglia and essex map (current)
The East Anglia and Essex Area is coterminious with the East of England Government Office Region, except for Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire. I have named it after the county and former kingdom of Essex and the region and former kingdom of East Anglia.
It includes the historic counties of Cambridgeshire, Essex, Huntingdonshire, part of Northamptonshire, Norfolk and Suffolk.
In terms of former administrative counties it includes Cambridgeshire, Isle of Ely (later Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely), Essex, Huntingdonshire, Soke of Peterborough (later Huntingdon and Peterborough), Norfolk, East Suffolk and West Suffolk.
In terms of ceremonial counties is includes Cambridgeshire, Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk.

  1. Peterborough UA Cambs
  2. Fenland Cambs
  3. Huntingdonshire Cambs
  4. East Cambridgeshire Cambs (no arms)
  5. Cambridge Cambs
  6. South Cambridgeshire Cambs
  7. King's Lynn and West Norfolk Norfolk
  8. Breckland Norfolk (no arms)
  9. North Norfolk Norfolk (no arms)
  10. Broadland Norfolk
  11. Norwich Norfolk
  12. South Norfolk Norfolk
  13. Great Yarmouth Norfolk
  14. Forest Heath Suffolk (no arms)
  15. St Edmundsbury Suffolk
  16. Mid Suffolk Suffolk (no arms)
  17. Waveney Suffolk (no arms)
  18. Suffolk Coastal Suffolk
  19. Ipswich Suffolk
  20. Babergh Suffolk (no arms)
  21. Uttlesford Essex (no arms)
  22. Braintree Essex
  23. Colchester Essex
  24. Tendring Essex
  25. Harlow Essex
  26. Epping Forest Essex
  27. Brentwood Essex
  28. Chelmsford Essex
  29. Maldon Essex
  30. Basildon Essex (no arms)
  31. Rochford Essex
  32. Thurrock UA Essex
  33. Castle Point Essex
  34. Southend on Sea UA Essex

CAMBRIDGESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Or three Palets wavy alternating with two Palets Azure a Bordure Gules flory on the inner edge Or; the Shield ensigned by a Mural Crown Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Great Bustard proper the exterior leg resting on a closed Book Gules garnished Or pendent from the neck of the dexter by a Cord Argent two Keys in saltire wards uppermost and outwards Gules and from the neck of the sinister by a like Cord a Hunting Horn mouth to the dexter Or.
BADGE: Within an Annulet ensigned by a Coronet a Bar Or between two Bars wavy Azure.

Motto 'CORDE UNO SAPIENTES SIMUS' - With one heart let us be men of understanding.
Granted 1st November 1976.

The County of Cambridgeshire was formed in 1974 by the amalgamation of the County of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely and the County of Huntingdon and Peterborough. These two former counties had in 1965 been formed from the former County of Cambridgeshire, the County of Isle of Ely, the County of Huntingdonshire and the County of Soke of Peterborough (geographically in Northamptonshire).

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

cambridgeshire cc arms
cambridgeshire badge
Badge

The three wavy vertical lines represent the three principal rivers of the County, the Cam, the Nene and the Ouse, while the two straight lines represent the many man-made drains of the Fens. The arms of the earlier authorities did not include such vertical lines, but a diagonal wavy line appeared in the arms of the old Cambridgeshire CC and in the arms of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely CC, horizontal wavy lines were in the arms of the Isle of Ely CC and the arms of Huntingdonshire CC, and multiple horizontal straight lines were in the arms of the Soke of Peterborough CC. In every case either the bend or bar or its background were blue, indicating the rivers of the fenland, though in the case of the Soke of Peterborough the bars were derived from the arms of the Cecil family. The border of the shield with fleurs-de-lys extending into it from the gold of the shield is reminiscent of the "double tressure flory counter flory", which appeared in the former Cambridgeshire and Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely arms, and which came from the Royal arms of Scotland. This recalls the fact that in the twelfth and early thirteenth centuries the earldom of Huntingdon and Cambridge was held by successive kings of Scotland. The mural crown appeared in both the Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely arms and in the Huntingdon and Peterborough arms, and before that in the arms of the Soke of Peterborough. It represents the castles which formerly guarded the principal towns of the county, and is a customary emblem over the shield of a local authority.
The great bustards, which appeared in the arms of the old Cambridgeshire and of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely, were birds of the fens, but became extinct in England in the mid-19th century. Books first appeared in the arms of Cambridgeshire and Isle of Ely and represent the learning of the University. The two keys around the neck of one great bustard are taken from the arms of the Soke of Peterborough and before that from the arms of the See of Peterborough. They also appeared in the crest and the badge of Huntingdon and Peterborough. They represent the keys of St. Peter. The hunting horn was in the crest of Huntingdonshire and is a play on the name of that county.


ESSEX COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules three Seaxes fessewise in pale Argent pomels and hilts Or points to the sinister and cutting edges upwards.

Granted 15th July 1932.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

essex arms

There is a certain amount of mystery as to why Essex adopted three seaxes for its arms, but they were in use in forms similar to the official grant long before it was made.
It has been suggested by some writers, that the weapons were chosen as a pun on the name of the County, which was called 'Eastseaxe' in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. Although three seaxes on a red field are often quoted as the arms of the of the kings of the East Saxons, heraldry as we know it was not established until the early twelfth century, and it is probably due to the fanciful and romantic minds of early historians and heraldic writers in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries that 'arms' were attributed to the Saxon kings. However badges and emblems have been used by nations, sovereigns and chieftains from earliest times, and perhaps the 'arms' attributed to the Saxon kings by the medieval heralds were based upon some of these badges. The earliest reference the arms of the East Saxon kings was by Richard Verstegan, the author of A Restitution of Decayed Intelligence, printed in Antwerp in 1605. Verstegan gives no authority for his statement "Erkenwyne king of the East-Saxons did beare for his armes, three [seaxes] argent, in a field gules", but there is no reason to doubt that he believed his source was reliable.
John Speed in his Historie of Great Britaine (1611), also gives similar arms for Erkenwyne, but he seems to have doubts and his statement is qualified with the statement "as some or our heralds have emblazed".
The reputed arms of the Saxon kings appear in various manuscripts, and several mention Essex; Randle Holmes (one of four heraldic writers of this name living between 1571 and 1707) attributed a plain red shield to Essex. Middlesex and part of Hertfordshire belonged to the East Saxon Kingdom, in fact the arms now regarded as those of Essex can be seen on several older buildings formerly in Middlesex. When Middlesex County Council was granted arms in 1910 the design consisted of the traditional arms with the addition of a Saxon Crown. In 1770, Peter Muilman published the first volume of his History of Essex, the frontpiece of which shows a female figure with a shield by her side bearing three seaxes, which look rather like fish-knives, similar arms are shown in the Chelmsford Gazette (1822). The Essex Equitable Insurance Society, establish in Colchester in 1802, used the arms without authority on their fire plate. The flag of the Third Regiment of the Essex Local Militia, now hanging in Chelmsford Cathedral, shows a shield with three curved swords, but without notches. The regiment existed between 1809 and 1817. A print of Braintree Market (1826) shows three swords, more like cutlasses, and similar weapons are seen in the Sheriff's official stamp used from about 1850 until the present day.


NORFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Per pale Or and Sable a Bend Ermine on a Chief Gules a Lion passant guardant of the first between two Ostrich Plumes Argent quilled and each ensigned with a Prince's Coronet thereon the motto "Ich Dien" as borne on the Banner of King Edward III.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion guardant Or that on the sinister dimidiating a Herring erect Argent.

Arms granted by Royal Warrant 11th May 1904; Exemplified 3rd July 1904, supporters granted 22nd December 1982.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

norfolk cc arms

The top part of the shield, shows a lion from the Royal arms of England together with ostrich plumes and coronet referring to the Prince of Wales. This is a very special honour for the County Council, the King, in the Royal Licence, specifically instructs on the design of the arms to be granted "in commemoration of our long residence in Norfolk". This of course refers to Sandringham. The lower part of the shield comprises the arms attributted to Ralph de Gael or Guader, first Earl of Norfolk circa 1069. The ermine may well refer to Brittany as Ralph was Lord of Gael in that Duchy.
The Lion represents the City of Norwich and the lion joined with a herring the Borough of Great Yarmouth, both were former county boroughs and were re-absorbed into the County in 1974.


SUFFOLK COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules a Base barry wavy enarched Argent and Azure issuant therefrom a Sunburst in chief two Ancient Crowns enfiled by a pair of Arrows in saltire points downwards all Or.
*CREST: Within an Ancient Crown Or upon Water barry wavy Azure and Argent a Viking Ship sail set Or.

Motto 'GUIDE OUR ENDEAVOURS'.
Granted 1978.

suffolk cc arms

The central sunburst design comes from a poem by Michael Drayton in 1627. This talks of the men of Suffolk, at the Battle of Agincourt, bearing the device of a "sun half risen from a brake". It also relates to the easterly situation of the County. The crowns pierced by arrows recall Saint Edmund the Christian King of East Anglia martyred by the Danes in 849, who gave his name to Bury St. Edmunds. The water symbolised at the base of the arms, reflects the importance to the County of the sea and rivers which form its boundaries.
The main feature of the crest is a Viking ship recalling the strong Norse associations of East Anglia.
The motto "guide our endeavours" is the English version of the Latin motto of the former East Suffolk County Council.


BRAINTREE DISTRICT COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Gules a Pale Or between two Seaxes in pale points upward Argent hilts pommels and quillons Or over all a Fess wavy Argent charged with a Bar wavy Sable in chief a Lion rampant Azure a like Lion in base.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mount Vert in front of a Garb Or a Boar passant Azure crined and unguled Or supporting with the dexter fore-hoof a Maltese Cross Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Sable gorged with a Riband Argent pendent therefrom by a Ring a Mullet Argent surmounted of a Pentagon Or fimbriated and charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Vert and holding in the month a Shuttle erect threaded proper.
BADGE: A Mullet Argent surmounted of a Pentagon Or fimbriated and charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Vert.

Motto 'BY WISDOM AND FORESIGHT'.
Granted 15th October 1974.

The Braintree District was formed by the amalgamation of the Braintree and Bocking Urban District, the Halstead Urban District, the Witham Urban District, the Braintree Rural District and the Halstead Rural District.

braintree dc arms
braintree badge
Badge

The red background was common to the arms of the Braintree and Bocking UDC, the Braintree RDC and the County Council. The seaxes are also from the County Arms. The blue lions on gold, seen in the arms of the Braintree and Bocking UDC, are from the arms of William de Sancta Maria, Bishop of London, who obtained from King John a Charter for the holding of a market and fairs at Braintree, which led to the village's development into a market town. The black wave edged in white, from the arms of the Braintree RDC, was a pun in reference to the River Blackwater, but here also refers to the Rivers Brain and Colne the other main waterways of the area.
The wheatsheaf upon a grassy mound, from the crest of the Halstead UDC, refers to the agricultural importance of the areas of both the former Halstead Councils. The blue boar is from the crest of the de Veres, a powerful family in the middle ages, who were seated in and prominent in the history of the Halstead Rural District area. The red Maltese cross was the emblem of the Knights Templer, who held the Manor of Witham and whose first possession in England was at Cressing Temple.
The black lions are those of Flanders and allude to the Flemish weavers, who were in 1304 invited to settle and established the local textile industry, first at Bocking and Shalford and later at Halstead, Coggeshall and Dedham. The weaver's shuttle in the lion's mouths, from the arms of the Halstead UDC, and the white ribands about their necks further emphasise this industry. The white five pointed stars are from the arms of the de Veres and the gold pentagon alludes to the union of the five former authorities. The green fleur-de-lys, as seen in the arms of Braintree and Bocking UDC, are from the arms of the Courtauld family, who were the first to establish silk-weaving in Braintree and also had connections with Halstead.
The motto is an English translation of the Halstead UDC motto; 'CONSILIO ET PRUDENTIA'.


BRENTWOOD BOROUGH COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Per fesse rayonée Argent and Gules in chief a Cornish Chough proper between two Pilgrim's Staves erect Sable in base three Ancient Crowns two and one Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours rising from the Battlements of a Tower Azure a demi Stag Or.

Motto 'ARDENS FIDE' - Burning faith.
Granted 1st August 1951, to the Brentwood Urban District Council.

The Borough of Brentwood was formed by the amalgamation of the Brentwood Urban District and the parishes of Ingatestone and Fryering and Mountnessing from the Chelmsford Rural District and the parishes of Blackmore, Doddinghurst, Kelvedon Hatch, Navestock and Stondon Massey from the Epping and Ongar Rural District.

brentwood bc arms

The division of the shield rayonée, which gives the appearance of flames refers to the 'burnt wood' from which the name Brentwood is derived. The crowns are from the arms of the Abbey of St. Osyth which held land in the area from the time of Henry II until its dissolution. The chough is from the arms of St. Thomas Becket, patron saint of the town, and to whom the old Pilgrim's Chapel in the High Street is dedicated. The palmer's or pilgrim's staves refer to the fact that Brentwood stood on the pilgrim's route to Canterbury, as is indicated by the name of 'Pilgrims Hatch' outside Brentwood.
The battlements of the tower are a pun in reference to the Tower family, the late owners of the ancient manor house of Weald Hall. The stag is a reminder of the deer formerly seen in Weald and Thordon Country Parks, and which have now been reintroduced to Weald Country Park.
The motto is descriptive of the name 'Burnt Wood' and refers also to faith in God, our fellow men and our future.


BROADLAND DISTRICT COUNCIL (NORFOLK)

ARMS: Azure in chief two Broadland Sailing Cruisers and on a Mount issuant in base a Norfolk Drainage Mill all proper on a Chief wavy Or between two Ostrich Feathers Ermine the Quill of each piercing a Scroll Argent a dexter Arm embowed in a Maunch Gules the hand proper grasping a Rose Gules barbed seeded and slipped proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Mount Vert thereon a Griffin sejant Or the body and underside of the wing each charged with three Fleurs-de-Lys Azure resting the dexter foreleg on a Mitre affronty Or.
BADGE: On a Roundel Azure fimbriated Or issuant therefrom six Fleurs-de-Lys Azure a Broadland Sailing Cruiser as in the Arms.

Motto 'GOD KEEP OUR BROAD LAND'.
Granted ?.

The Broadland District was formed by the amalgamation of part of the Blofield and Flegg Rural District and the St. Faith's and Aylesham Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

broadland dc arms
broadland badge
Badge

The main area suggests the name Broadland, with two Broadland yachts and a windmill on a 'blue field' which, with the wave above, refers to the rivers and waters of the District. The 'blue field' also denotes the name Blofield, suggested in the Oxford Dictionary of English Place names as referring to the Old English 'blaw' or woad-plant from which dyes were made. The emblems above the wave, taken from the arms of the St. Faith's and Aylsham RDC, are the sleeved arm holding a red rose from the arms of the Abbey of Conches which owned the Priory of Horsham St. Faith, and the ermine ostrich feathers of John of Gaunt who kept his Duchy of Lancaster court in Norfolk at Aylsham.
The blue and gold of the wreath symbolize the waters and crops of the District and are also the heraldic colours of the Bishopric of Norwich and the Abbey of Bury St. Edmunds, both of which held manors and lands in both the former Rural District Council areas. The griffin is derived from the crest of the Paston family, who were seated at Oxnead and Hellesdon and who also built Thorpe Hall, and whose famous 'Letters' constitute a major national document. It is here differenced by being charged with the six blue fleurs-de-lys from their shield, and rests a foot on a gold mitre from the arms of the Bishops of Norwich, with special reference to their ownership of the Manors of Thorpe and their Palace, on whose demesne the Council's offices now stand. The griffin sits on a grassy mound to indicate the Council's concern with conservation.
The motto not only brings the name into the design but, in an area with strong ecclesiastical links, expresses a pious hope for both the local and national security.
The badge combines one of the Broadland Sailing Cruisers from the arms with the Paston fleurs-de-lys from the crest.


CAMBRIDGE CITY COUNCIL (CAMBS)

ARMS: Gules a Bridge of one arch surmounted by three Towers Or in chief a Fleur-de-Lys Gold between two Roses Argent the base barry way of the last and Azure thereon three Ships each with one mast and yardarm the sail furled also Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules upon a Mount Vert a Bridge in the form of a castle with two Ports and three domed Towers and between the Towers two Turrets also domed Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Sea Horse the upper parts Gules the nether part proper finned Or.

Granted 7th June 1575, and recorded at the Visitation of 1684.

cambridge city arms

The city owes its name and early development to the bridge at the farthest navigable part of the River Granta or Cante, now Cam. The ships and sea-horses are unusual for an inland town, but historically Cambridge derived much prosperity from river-borne traffic from the coast. The fleur-de-lys and roses are royal and national emblems, they emphasise the privileges granted by many kings over the centuries.
The crest, though described as a bridge in the record, is more like a castle, and perhaps the intention was to represent a fortified bridge in allusion to tthe fact that Cambridge Castle stood on the hill just above the point at which the bridge crossed the river.
The arms reproduce certain features of a 15th century seal bearing bridge over a stream and above the bridge two angels supporting a shield of the then Royal Arms (France and England quarterly).


CASTLE POINT BOROUGH COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Per chevron embattled per pale Gules and Vert and barry wavy Argent and Azure in chief two Ancient Crowns Or and in base on a Lozenge Vert a Mound of Earth issuant from its base and thereon a representation of a Canvey Island Dutch Cottage proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or Gules and Vert within a Circlet of Oyster Shells proper and between two Stalks of Wheat leaved Or a Tower triple towered Gold.

Motto 'SOCIETAS FLOREBIT' - Fellowship will blossom.
Granted 30th September 1987.

The Borough of Castle Point was formed by the amalgamation of the Benfleet Urban District and the Canvey Island Urban District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

castle point bc arms

The division of the shield into three follows the pattern of the arms of the Benfleet UDC, where the red and green sections symbolised the urban and rural areas. The red section also refers to the fact that Thundersley was long a Royal Honour and the green refers to Hadleigh's Royal Park. The ancient crowns refer to the old Kingdom of the East Saxons and emphasise the Borough's royal connections. The crenellated division of the shield refers to the name Castle Point. The wavy blue and white lines, the heraldic symbol for water, were common to the arms of both former Councils. The green lozenge from the arms of Canvey Island UDC, suggests an island surrounded by water, on this is a Canvey Island Dutch Cottage from the crest of Canvey Island UDC. Two Dutch cottages survive and date from the seventeenth century, when they housed the Dutch workers engaged in land reclamation.
The oyster shells, also from the Canvey Island arms refer to the areas oyster beds. The tower is another reference to the name of the Borough and the stalks of wheat symbolise agriculture, these are coloured gold for excellence.
The motto is that of Benfleet UDC, and can be translated; 'The association (here referring to the corporate body) will prosper'.


CHELMSFORD BOROUGH COUNCIL (ESSEX)
Link to Chelmsford BC Web Site

ARMS: Argent three Bars wavy Azure on a Chief indented Gules a Saltire couped between two Mullets Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Garb Or transfixed with a Seax and a Sword in saltire points upwards both proper.
SUPPORTERS: Dexter a Lion Azure supporting an Episcopal Crozier Or sinister a like Lion supporting an Abbatical Crozier Or with Veil proper upon a Compartment comprising a triple arched Stone Bridge above Water barry wavy.

Motto 'MANY MINDS ONE HEART'.
Granted 3rd March 1975.

The Borough of Chelmsford was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Chelmsford and the Chelmsford Rural District except for two parishes now in the Brentwood District.

Picture with permission, do not reproduce.

chelmsford bc arms

The design is based upon the arms of the Chelmsford RDC, which were based upon the arms of the Montchensy family (Argent three Bars wavy Azure), the bars were made wavy to represent the Rivers Can and Chelmer. The indented chief is reminiscent of the arms of Westminster Abbey which was closely associated with the Manor of Moulsham, part of which comprised the original Borough. The white saltire is derived from the arms of the de Vere family, the heirs to the original Earls of Essex.
The gold wheatsheaf is from the crest of the Chelmsford RDC with the addition of a seax from the arms of the County Council and one of the swords from the crest of the former Borough , these were derived from the arms of the See of London, in which Chelmsford was originally situated.
The left-hand supporter holds an episcopal crozier, a reference to the Sees of London and Chelmsford. The right-hand supporter holds an abbatical crozier, a reference to the Abbot of Westminster. The blue lions, seen in the arms of the former Borough, are derived from the arms of the Mildmay family, who came into the possession of the Manor of Chelmsford at the time of the Reformation and were later granted the Manor of Moulsham by Elizabeth I. The triple arched stone bridge over water is derived from the arms of the former Borough, and recalls the bridge built over the River Can by Morris, Bishop of London and Lord of the Manor of Chelmsford circa 1100.
The motto is that of the former Borough and is said to have been suggested by Mr. A.J. Furbank, who acted as provisional town clerk at the time of incorporation.


COLCHESTER BOROUGH COUNCIL (ESSEX)
Old Arms

ARMS: Gules a Cross raguly couped proper the arms joined in fylfot between two Ducal Coronets in chief Or the bottom part of the cross enfiled with a Ducal Coronet of the last beneath each coronet a Nail of the first each piercing the cross.


New Arms Granted in 1976

ARMS: Gules four Pieces of Wood raguly conjoined in a cross proper each side arm transfixed with a Nail palewise Sable ensigned by an Ancient Crown Or and that in base enfiling a like Crown and transfixed by a like Nail in bend.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Chaplet of Roses alternately Gules and Argent a Female Figure habited Azure and Veiled Argent crowned Or holding a Passion Cross Or.
SUPPORTERS: To the dexter a Roman Centurion habited and holding in his dexter hand a Short Sword proper and to the sinister an Oyster Fisherman habited and holding in his sinister hand a Length of Rope proper each standing on a Compartment comprising a Grassy Mound proper and an Estuary barry wavy Argent and Azure.
BADGE: A Roundel Or charged with a Raven facing sinister Sable the whole ensigned with an Ancient Crown also Or and otherwise encircled alternately with Oyster Shells Argent and Strawberry Fruit proper.

The Borough of Colchester was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Colchester, the West Mersea Urban District, the Wivenhoe Urban District and the Lexden and Winstree Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

colchester bc arms
Old Arms As Now Used
colchester bc arms
Full Arms Not Used

The earliest record of the arms of the Borough occurs in the Charter granted to the town by Henry V on 7th July 1413. The Charter has an illuminated initial letter showing the arms and the figures of St. Helena holding a cross and her son, Constantine, around her is a scroll with a Latin inscription, stating among other things that she was born in Colchester. The Common Seal of the Borough, which dates from the early fifteenth century also depicts St. Helena. St. Helena was evidently regarded at this time as the patron saint of Colchester and it seems that the arms were designed to commemorate the various legends surrounding her. St. Helena was the mother of Constantine the Great and it is due to her influence that her son became a Christian and enacted the edict of Toleration in AD 313. As a result of a vision, she went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem around AD 326, during which she discovered three crosses on the site of Golgotha. One of the crosses was still green and like a tree with the branches lopped off. Its identity as the True Cross was proved by the restoration to health of a dying woman upon its touch. Helena divided the cross into four parts and sent a piece to each of the principal churches in Jerusalem, Alexandria and Rome, while retaining the fourth for herself. According to legend St. Helena had many other visions, one of which directed her to Asia Minor. Here she discovered relics of the Magi (whom medieval legend regarded as kings). These relics were sent to Milan, and were later interred in a shrine in Cologne Cathedral (where they are commemorated by the three crowns in the arms of that city). When taking into consideration stories the design can be interpreted as follows; The True Cross is shown as a green living tree divided into four parts by a fylfot (it is interesting to note that the fylfot or swastika, although now associated with the Nazis, is a very ancient symbol of good fortune). The cross is pierced by the iron nails of the crucifixion and is surmounted by the crowns of the Magi or Three Kings, and the field is red for the blood of Christ. From the sixteenth century until 1915 the following arms were in use;

Gules two Staves raguly and couped Argent one in pale surmounted by another in fess between two Ducal Coronets in chief Or the lower part of the vertical Stave enfiled with a like Coronet.

As a result of a report by Alderman Gurney Benham in 1915, the Council resolved to revert to the use of the original arms. The reason for the change in design is thought to be due to the reformation (mid sixteenth century), when there was a strong movement against Catholic traditions, especially the veneration of relics, such as those commemorated in the arms. At the time of the Herald's Visitation of Essex in 1634 the Borough arms were recorded with the cross white and the fylfot and nails omitted. The reversion to the original arms has not been recognised by the College of Heralds and suspicion has been cast upon the green coloration of the cross, as it is a rule in heraldry that colour can only be placed upon a metal (i.e. silver or gold), however if the object is depicted proper, as it is in this case then the rule can be broken.

In 1976 a new crest, supporters and badge were granted to the enlarged Borough Council. The crest depicts St. Helena and the supporters refer to the town's Roman connections and local industries. The style of the crowns on the shield was also changed from ducal to ancient crowns. These new additions are however not used, with the older arms seemingly preferred by the Borough Council. - Thanks to Laurence Jones for the picture and additional information.


EPPING FOREST DISTRICT COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Argent a Cross engrailed Sable over all a Bugle Horn ensigned with an Ancient Crown Or on a Chief Vert four Axeheads bendwise Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules upon a Mount Vert in front of a Castle of three Towers each domed and ensigned with a Cross Crosslet all Gules a Stag courant proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Stag guardant proper holding in the mouth a Seax Argent the hilt and pommel inwards Or.
BADGE: A Stag's Head caboshed proper holding in the mouth a Seax Argent the hilt and pommel to the dexter Or.

Motto 'PER CRUCEM PER CORONAM' - Through the Cross through the Crown.
Granted 31st December 1975.

The Epping Forest District was formed by the amalgamation of the Chigwell Urban District, the Epping Urban District, the Waltham Holy Cross Urban District and the Epping and Ongar Rural District except for the five parishes now in the Brentwood District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

epping forest dc arms
epping forest badge
Badge

The black cross on white, seen in the arms of the Waltham Holy Cross UDC, is from the arms of Waltham Abbey, which held most of the land in the area in the middle ages and was the last to be dissolved under Henry VIII. The hunting horn, from the crest of the Chigwell UDC, was the symbol of office of the Master Keepers, an office commonly held in later centuries by the lords of the Forest manors, it can also be seen as a reference to Sir Robert Hunter, who gave valuable advice to the Corporation of London, in the action which brought the Forest under its control. The ancient crown denotes that this was a Royal Forest. The axe-heads, like those in the arms as Chigwell UDC, represent the authority of the four Verderers, who were originally judicial officers appointed by the Crown to administer the Forest laws, they can also be seen as representing the lopping rights enjoyed by the villagers of Loughton which figured in the famous Willingale case.
The red and white wreath is in the principal colours the arms of the Essex County Council and the livery colours of the Corporation of London . The grassy mount signifies the 'aungre' or grazing ground from which Ongar derives its name and also recalls the struggle of the Commoners to preserve their grazing rights. The castle represents that built at Ongar by Richard de Lucy, Chief Justiciar to Henry II, and who obtained the rights for a market and fair for the town. It is red like Richard's arms and the three crosslets surmounting its domes are from the arms of Waltham Abbey. The leaping stag is derived from the device used by the Epping Urban District Council.
The stags are derived from the crest of the Waltham Holy Cross Urban District Council. They are royal stags and fallow bucks because this was a Royal Forest. The seaxes are from the arms of the Essex County Council.
The motto summarises the history of the district, the Cross brought the Abbey and the Royal Forest brought rights for the commoners, which led to the Forest being won for the People.The red and white wreath is in the principal colours the arms of the County Council.


FENLAND DISTRICT COUNCIL (CAMBS)

ARMS: Per fess Or and Sable in chief six Palets Azure and in base five Palets Or.
CREST: Within a Mural Crown Or an Ancient Ship with three Masts Sable sails set Or the Mainsail emblazoned with the Arms; Mantled parted Azure and Sable doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Bengal Tiger proper each gorged with a Coronet and resting the interior hindpaw on a Garb fesswise ears inward Or.
BADGE: A Sixfoil Argent each pair of leaves ensigned by a Coronet Or.

Granted 30th December 1977.

The Fenland District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Wisbech, the Chatteris Urban District, the March Urban District, the Whittlesey Urban District, the North Witchford Rural District and the Wisbech Rural District.

fenland dc arms

The six blue bands represent both the six constituent local authorities which were amalgamated to form Fenland District and the many water-courses which criss-cross the Fens. The gold bands reflect the richness of the Fens and this symbolism is continued in the lower half of the shield which is divided into six black and five gold vertical bands. The black bands represent the rich black silt soil of the Fens.
The ship represents to the ancient but still thriving Port of Wisbech. The golden mural crown is symbolic of Wisbech Castle and the history of the District as a whole.
The supporters represent the "Fen Tigers", which was the name applied to the Fen inhabitants by Dutch drainage engineers who came to the Fens in the fifteenth, sixteenth and seventeenth centuries to construct the drains which resulted in considerable land reclamation and flood prevention. The local inhabitants displayed a considerable and lasting hostility to the Dutch engineers and the name "Fen Tigers" has resulted from that confrontation. The wheatsheaves are a final reflection to the agricultural treasures of the Fens.


GREAT YARMOUTH BOROUGH COUNCIL (NORFOLK)

ARMS 1: Per pale Gules and Azure three Lions passant guardant in pale Or dimidiated with as many Herrings naiant in pale Argent.
ARMS 2: Per fesse Gules and Azure in chief three Lions passant guardant in pale Or and in base as many Herrings naiant two and one Argent.
ARMS 3: Azure three Herrings naiant in pale Argent.

Motto 'REX ET NOSTRA JURA' - The King and our rights.
These three coats were all recorded at the Visitation of 1563 and all three were certified by the Registrar of the College of Arms 16 December 1908 for the Great Yarmouth County Borough Council.

The Borough of Great Yarmouth was formed by the amalgamation of County Borough of Great Yarmouth, part of the Blofield and Flegg Rural District and part of the Lothingland Rural District.

great yarmouth bc tc arms

The first arms are those in general use. The herrings, which acknowledge the fact that the fishing industry was the mainstay of Yarmouth's economy, formed the ancient badge of the town. They appear on the town's great seal of St. Nicholas which dates from the late 13th century. The lions, part of the royal arms, are said to have been added by Edward III in gratitude for the Yarmouth ships' outstanding service at the battle of Sluys in 1340. The arms also resemble those of the Cinque Ports to which Yarmouth herring market was anciently subject.


HARLOW DISTRICT COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Vert between three Lozenges Argent a Pair of Dividers Or enfiled by a Mural Crown also Argent two Flaunches of the last each charged with a Mascle Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a dexter cubit Arm vested in a White Shirtsleeve the cuff rolled back the hand grasping an Axe a demi Cogwheel all proper.

Motto 'IN COMMON ENDEAVOUR'.
Granted 27th September 1957, to the Harlow Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

harlow arms

The white mural crown on a green background represents the town in its rural setting. The gold dividers indicate that this is a planned New Town. The white flaunches represent London, the origin of most of the New Town's population. The diamonds have voided centres to indicate that they have left London and the three white diamonds indicate that they have resettled in Harlow.
The cogwheel represents the town's new industries and the arm holding an axe the pioneering spirit that went into building the town.
The motto indicates that the continued prosperity of the town can only be achieved by a common effort by the residents.


HUNTINGDONSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL (CAMBS)

*ARMS: Barry wavy Argent and Azure on a Lozenge throughout Vert between in chief three Garbs one and two and in base a Cornucopia a Fess embattled all Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Argent and Azure a Lion rampant Gules gorged with a Collar flory counter-flory Or and supporting a Staff proper flying therefrom a Banner Vert charged with a Hunting Horn stringed Or.

Motto 'LABORE OMNIA FLORENT' - By labour everything prospers.
Granted 9th April 1937, to the Huntingdonshire County Council.

The Huntingdonshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Huntingdon and Godmanchester, the Borough of St. Ives, the Ramsey Urban District, the St. Neots Urban District, the Huntingdon Rural District, part of the Norman Cross Rural District, the St. Ives Rural District and the St. Neots Rural District.

huntingdonshire dc arms

The lozenge represents the natural geographical shape of the County and the colour green its grazing nature. This shape lent itself to a division into two triangles, the upper with corn sheaves representing the Highlands, the lower with a cornucopia signifying the plenty of the Fen Districts. The embattled bar stands for Huntingdon, the fortress commanding the passing the River Great Ouse, a fact of great importance in early history. The blue and white wavy lines indicate the River Great Ouse and water courses of the Fen Area.
In early history the County was a fief of the Scottish Crown and this is shown by the red lion with a collar of fluers-de-lys from the Royal Arms of Scotland. The banner with the hunting horn is a play on the name of the County and signifies the forest of the Uplands and hunting from the early times down to the present day.


IPSWICH BOROUGH COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Azure in the first a Lion rampant Gold armed and langued Azure in the second three demi Boats of the third.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules a demi Lion Or supporting a Ship Sable.
SUPPORTERS: Two Horses of the Sea commonly called Neptune's Horses maned and fined Gold.

Arms confirmed and crest and supporters granted 29th August 1561.

ipswich bc arms
ipswich seal
13th Century Seal of Ipswich

The arms appear to have been based on those of the Cinque Ports. A ship appears on a 13th century seal.


KING'S LYNN AND WEST NORFOLK BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Azure and Or three Dragons' Heads erect and erased each transfixed through the mouth by a Cross botonny fitchy all within a Bordure per chevron counter-changed.
CREST: Upon a Wreath Or and Azure upon a Bollard Sable roped Or a Seagull proper gorged with a Coronet and holding in the dexter claw a Cross botonny fitchy Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Sea Lion Or supporting with the exterior leg an Ostrich Feather Argent.
BADGE: A Sea Lion Or within a Garland of Oakleaves fructed proper.

Granted 1984?.

The Borough of King's Lynn and West Norfolk was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of King's Lynn, the Downham Market Urban District, the Hunstanton Urban District, the Docking Rural District, the Downham Rural District, the Freebridge Lynn Rural District and the Marshland Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

king's lynn and west norfolk bc arms
king's lynn and west norfolk badge
Badge

The shield is basically the arms of the ancient Borough of King's Lynn which were recorded at the College of Arms as early as 1563. They refer to the legend of St. Margaret of Antioch, who has been portrayed on the Seals of Lynn since the 13th Century, and to whom the Parish Church is dedicated. The per chevron division and the addition of a bordure serve to make the new shield distinct from the old one while retaining much of its medieval simplicity. The bordure also suggests the wider boundaries of the new authority, and the new shield is composed of seven parts to symboliss the seven authorities which were amalgamated.
The Seagull in the crest is an appropriate maritime reference it appeared as a supporter in some representations of the arms of the Borough of King's Lynn but here it stands on a bollard in order to make it distinctive. It is gorged with a crown or coronet like the King's Lynn supporter, and the lion in the crest of the Downham RDC. The coronet refers to the Borough's many royal connections. The seagull holds a cross botonny like the crosses in the the shield, and the cross crosslets in the arms of Freebridge Lynn RDC.
The supporters are based on the crest of the Hunstanton UDC. The lion is a version of the lions or leopards in the English Royal Arms and its fishes tail suggests the Borough's links with the sea.
The Sea Lion occurs again in the badge, but here it is surrounded by a garland of oakleaves as a reference to the rural nature of much of the district. Oakleaves formed part of the coronet in the crest of the former Downham RDC.


MALDON DISTRICT COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Per saltire wavy Azure and Vert a Saltire wavy Argent between a Lion passant guardant in chief two Garbs in fess and a Ship's Wheel in base all Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert upon Water barry wavy Argent and Azure charged with a Fleur-de-Lys Or an Essex Sailing Barge proper; mantled Vert and Azure doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side an Anglo-Saxon Warrior holding in his dexter hand a Sword point downwards and the sinister side a Yachtsman habited in a Sailing Smock and wearing a Peaked Cap all proper upon a Compartment composed of a grassy Mound also proper divided by Water barry wavy Argent and Azure.

Motto 'VISION COURAGE INTEGRITY'.
Granted 28th February 1978.

The Maldon District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Maldon, the Burnham-on-Crouch Urban District and the Maldon Rural District.

maldon dc arms

The gold lion on blue is derived from the three lions in the arms of the Borough of Maldon and the two wheatsheaves refer to the former Maldon Rural District with its farming tradition. The ship's wheel represents the Burnham-on-Crouch Urban District, an important centre for sailing.
The green and blue coloration of the mantling represents the land and the sea. The gold fleur-de-lys is from the arms of Henry II, who granted Maldon its first Royal Charter in 1171. The East Coast sailing barge recalls the former trade on the River Blackwater.
The warrior represents the area's Saxon heritage in particular Brithnoth, the alderman of Essex, who lead the Saxon forces against the Danish invaders at the Battle of Maldon, which is known in detail from a surviving poem of the period. The sailor represents our national maritime heritage and the fine sailing havens on the rivers Crouch and Blackwater.


NORWICH CITY COUNCIL (NORFOLK)

ARMS: Gules a Castle triple-towered and domed Argent in base a Lion passant guardant Or.
BADGE: On a Roundel Gules a Castle Argent representing that upon the Seal of the City of Norwich 1404 encircled by two Loops Gold of the Mayoral Chain of the City its lower links issuing beneath the portal of the Castle and pendent therefrom a Medallion portraying the Bust of George II also Gold.

Arms recorded and confirmed at the Visitation 2nd July 1562. Badge granted ?.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

norwich city arms
norwich badge
Badge

Norwich Castle was built by King Stephen on the site of a fortress erected by William I. In the fourteenth century the Castle became a prison, and in 1894, it adopted its present role of art gallary and museum. The lion is said to have been granted by Edward III. The arms are sometimes surmounted by a civic fur cap, and placed between two angels in the position of supporters, but there is no authority for this practice.


PETERBOROUGH CITY COUNCIL (UA) (CAMBS)

ARMS: Azure two Keys in saltire Or enfiled by a Mural Crown Argent; the Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown of six Towers Gold.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion Ermine winged Argent charged on the wing with three Estoiles Sable the interior paw resting on a Tree trunk fesswise proper.

Motto 'UPON THIS ROCK'.
Granted 6th September 1960, the the Peterborough Borough Council.

The City of Peterborough the amalgamation of the Borough of Peterborough, the Old Fletton Urban District, the Barnack Rural District, part of the Norman Cross Rural District and the Thorney Rural District.

peterborough city arms

Peterborough owes it origin to the foundation circa in AD 655 by Paeda, King of Mercia, of a monastery (from which the present fine Cathedral has derived) dedicated to the glory of Christ and the honour of St. Peter. The Shield shows the keys, symbolic of those to the gates of Heaven given by Christ to St. Peter (Matthew 16 v.19). They are shown enfiled by the mural crown as a differentiation to the simple crossed keys which are the arms recorded for the See of Gloucester. The gold mural crown replacing a Crest above the shield is intended as a civic symbol and this is particularly emphasized by the towers, the whole suggesting the walls of a town.
The lions are the ermine lions of the Marquess of Exeter, hereditary Lord Paramount of Peterborough, differenced by the wings of the eagle supporters of Mordaunt, first Earl of Peterborough, the estoiles or stars thereon coming from his arms. The tree trunks derive from a device of Earl Fitzwilliam, whose estate forms an important part of the area. The Compartment upon which the supporters stand is composed of rock from its traditional association with Peter (and Paeda) and the motto is similarly derived.


ROCHFORD DISTRICT COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Chequy of twelve Or a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper charged with a like Rose Argent barbed and seeded proper and Gules a Garb Or.
CREST: Issuant from an Ancient Crown Or a Mount Vert thereon in front of a representation of Rayleigh Windmill proper a Seax fesswise proper mantled Gules doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Bull [guardant] Sable armed unguled and winged Or and sinister a Wyvern Vert.
BADGE: A Roundel barry dancetty of six Gules and Or a Pale wavy Argent charged with two Pallets wavy Azure.

Motto 'OUR HERITAGE OUR FUTURE'.
Granted 8th March 1975.

The Rochford District was formed by the amalgamation of the Rayleigh Urban District and the Rochford Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

rochford dc arms
rochford badge
Badge

The twelve sections represent the original number of parishes in the District. The colours of gold and red were predominant in the arms of the Rochford RDC, which were based upon the arms of the de Rochford family. The Tudor roses, like that in the crest of Rayleigh UDC, recall the association between the town and Henry VIII. The wheatsheaves represent the agricultural importance of the area.
The ancient crown and mound are from the crest of the Rochford RDC and represent the King's Mound, the site of the Lawless or Whispering Court from the early seventeenth until the late nineteenth centuries. On the mound is a representation of Rayleigh Windmill built in about 1798 and a seax, which like that in the arms of the Rayleigh UDC is from the arms of the County Council.
The black bull, suggested by the bull's head in the arms of the Rochford RDC, is from the arms of the Bullen or Boleyn family, former residents of Rochford Hall. Its has been given gold wings in reference to the district's links to aviation via Southend Airport. The green wyvern, from the arms of Rayleigh UDC, refers to Rayleigh Mount and Castle, seat of the Hereditary King's Standard Bearer at the time leading up to the Norman Conquest. It is believed that at this time the English Standard was a wyvern.
The blue and white waves and gold and red jagged lines on the badge suggest a 'rocky ford' from which the name Rochford is said to be derived. the red lines also denote the districts royal associations and the gold agriculture.


ST. EDMUNDSBURY BOROUGH COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Azure a representation of the Sword in its Scabbard of the St Edmundsbury Borough Council proper between in fess two pairs of Arrows each in saltire points downwards Argent enfiling an Ancient Crown Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Grassy Mount a Wolf sejant proper resting the dexter paw upon a King's Head couped at the neck also crowned Or; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS: Dexter a Lion chevronny Or and Gules charged on the shoulder with a Roundel Gules fretty Or sinister an Ounce Sable bezanty gorged with a Collar compony counter compony Argent and Azure and charged on the shoulder with a Roundel Or fretty Sable.

Motto 'SACRARIUM REGIS CUNABULA LEGIS' - Shrine of the King, cradle of the law.
Granted ?.

The Borough of St. Edmundsbury was formed by the amalgamation of Borough of Bury St. Edmunds, the Haverhill Urban District, the Clare Rural District and the Thingoe Rural District.

st edmundsbury bc arms

The blue background and the ancient crowns and crossed arrows are from the arms of the former Borough of Bury St. Edmunds . They depict the crown of Edmund, the Martyr King of East Anglia from whom the town takes its name; the arrows refer to the manner of his death in 869 at the hands of the Danish invaders for refusing to renounce his Christian faith. Similar crowns are contained in the arms of the diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich and were also included in the Arms of the former West Suffolk CC. According to traditional accounts King Edmund went with his army and fought a battle with them but was defeated and captured. The Danes tied him to a tree and shot him to death with arrows.
The possession of a mace is usual for every corpora­tion, a right granted by the Charter of Incorporation. Rare is the right to have a Sword and has always been more sparingly granted. Bury St. Edmunds was one of a limited number of towns to receive such a Grant to the Alderman, Chief Burgesses and Burgesses of the Common Council of Bury St. Edmunds by Charles II on 3rd July 1684. The former Corporation's Minute Book records that on 2nd October 1684 thanks were given to Sir Thomas Hervey for the gift of the Mayor's Sword which he presented upon the King creating Bury St. Edmunds a "Mayor Town". Although Charles II Charter of 1684 was declared null and void when his brother James II fled the country in 1688, the sword continued to form part of the insignia of the Borough and is thus represented in the current arms.
The crest recalls the legend that after the Danes had killed Edmund and left, the King's subjects returned to bury him and found his body, but the head was missing. Searching for the head they heard a voice in the forest cry out "Here I am". Moving towards the voice they saw a wolf standing over the head, as if guarding it. On their approach the wolf disappeared and they took up the head which was afterwards miraculously joined to the body, which was eventually brought to Bury St. Edmunds for burial. The story is told in the writings of Abbot of Fleury, a French scholar who died in 1004 so it must have been believed soon after it is said to have happened. Hence the crest of a wolf guarding a crowned head of a King. The grassy mount or hill may be taken as a reference to Haverhill.
The gold lion is a royal beast and its red chevrons are inspired by the arms of the de Clares, a family from whom the town of Clare derived its name. The Clare RDC used a similar device. The other supporter is derived from the crest of the former Thingoe RDC, where it was taken from the arms of the Marquis of Bristol of Ickworth. The roundels on each supporters' shoulders with a fretty design are an allusion to Haverhill - a fret being reminiscent of weaving - an industry which was once carried on in the town to a greater extent than at present.


SOUTH CAMBRIDGESHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Saltire Ermine between in chief a Cornucopia the horn Or replenished proper in fess two Garbs and in base the Sails of a Windmill Or a closed Book Gules clasped and garnished Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules upon a Mount Vert a Great Bustard close between the legs two Quill Pens in saltire points downward all proper.

Motto 'NIET ZONDER ARBYT' - Nothing without work.
Granted 13th May 1978.

The South Cambridgeshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Chesterton Rural District and the South Cambridgeshire Rural District.

south cambridgeshire dc arms

The shield retains the red background and ermine saltire charged with a red book edged and decorated gold which were the basis of the arms of the Chesterton RDC. These commemorate the crossing of ancient roads in the district, including Ermine Street, and also many connections with the University of Cambridge. The book also alludes to the unique system of Village Colleges in the County, many of which are in the new District. As in the Chesterton arms, a gold cornucopia filled with fruit and flowers represents the orchards, nurseries and preserving industries. The sails of a windmill, also in gold, as in the Chesterton arms, suggests the mechanised agriculture of the area and notable windmills at Bourn, Madingley and Chishill. The two gold sheaves indicate the union of two rural districts to form the new authority. The wheatsheaf was the only emblem in the South Cambridgeshire RDC seal and this appropriate symbol is thus preserved.
From the Chesterton crest comes the Cambridgeshire bustard on a small grassy mound. For necessary distinction are added two crossed quill pens to indicate the literary associations of the district with writers such as Chaucer, Tennyson, Rupert Brooke, Pepys, Matthew Paris and Byron.
The motto is that of the Chesterton RDC, it is that inscribed on a house in Fen Drayton associated with Vermuyden, the famous fen drainer - the only Dutch motto in British civic heraldry.


SOUTH NORFOLK DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron lozengy Argent and Vert and barry wavy of six Azure and Argent in chief two Garbs and in the fess point a Hexagon [voided] Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi-Boar Ermine langued Gules between two Wings addorsed Argent resting the sinister hoof upon a Hexagon Or enclosing a Mullet Azure; Mantled parted Vert and Azure doubled parted Or and Argent.
BADGE: A Hexagon Or enclosing a Mullet Azure.

Motto 'SERVICE WITHOUT PREJUDICE'.
Granted 23rd July 1979.

The South Norfolk District was formed by the amalgamation of the Diss Urban District, the Wymondham Urban District, the Depwade Rural District, the Forehoe and Henstead Rural District and the Lodden Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

south norfolk dc arms
south norfolk badge
Badge

The background of the shield symbolises the Broads, the wavy lines indicating water, and the land, which is chequered green and silver (here shown white), to represent sugar coming out of the land. The essentially agrarian economy of the District is symbolised by the sheaves of wheat. The hexagon is a reference to the new Council Offices in the centre of the District.
The boar is taken from the crest of the Bacon family and the wings from that of the Colman family, both families were prominent in the district. The boar holds the hexagon within which is a five pointed star, symbolising the five old authorities which came together to form the new District.


SOUTHEND-ON-SEA BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (ESSEX)

ARMS: Azure on a Pile Argent between on the dexter an Anchor erect on the sinister a Grid-iron and in base a Trefoil slipped Or a Flower Vase issuing therefrom a spray of Lilies proper.
CREST: Issuant out of a Mural Crown Gules the Mast of a Ship proper flying therefrom a Flag Argent charged with a Cross throughout Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Mediaeval Fisherman holding a Net with his exterior hand all proper and on the sinister side a Cluniac Monk proper holding in the dexter hand a Book Gules and in the exterior hand a Staff also proper.

Motto 'PER MARE PER ECCLESIAM' - Through the sea through the Church.
Arms and crest granted 1st January 1915, supporters granted 2nd January 1915 to the Southend-on-Sea County Borough Council.
Transferred by Order dated 21st May 1974, to the newly created Southend-on-Sea Borough Council.

southend-on-sea bc arms

A Cluniac priory was founded at Prittlewell around 1110, dedicated to St. Mary it became the centre of religious and social life of the surrounding area. The accidental discovery of the value of the foreshore as a feeding ground for oysters around 1700, by a fisherman named Outing led to the growth of a fishing community at the south end of Prittlewell parish, the first record of the name "Southende" is found in a will dated 1481. In the late eighteenth century a syndicate established a seaside resort at New South End, the venture was not an immediate success despite royal patronage. In time however the resort flourished and borough status was granted in 1892. The mother parish of Prittlewell is represented by the lilies, emblem of St. Mary, from the thirteenth century seal of the Priory. In 1897 the borough was extended to include Southchurch, the parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity represented by the trefoil. The Parish of Eastwood is represented by the grid-iron, emblem of St. Lawrence, to whom the parish church is dedicated. Leigh was originally a fishing village, which grew into a flourishing port, naval base and ship building centre and many local men achieved fame as admirals and Masters of Trinity House. In time, as ships became larger and could not be accommodated at the port, Leigh declined in importance and relied more on fishing and oyster cultivation. The Parish and Urban District of Leigh was incorporated into the Borough in 1913, and is represented by the anchor, emblem of St. Clement, to whom the parish church is dedicated.
Leigh's former fame as a port as well as the Borough's other maritime associations are recalled by the ship's mast combined with a mural crown, symbol of civic government.
The monk is a further reference to the Cluniac Priory and the fisherman refers to the area's long standing industry. The figures are copied from a medieval illuminated manuscript in the British Museum.
The motto recognises the influence of the Church and the sea upon the Borough.


SUFFOLK COASTAL DISTRICT COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Barry wavy of eight Azure and Argent a Lymphad sail set Or flying flags and pennon of St. George on a Chief Or three Pellets that in the centre charged with a Cross engrailed and the others each with an Escallop of seven lobes Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Port between two square Towers proper issuant therefrom a rising Sun of seven rays a Mitre Or.
BADGE: A Heptagon Azure fimriated Argent and charged with a Lymphad as in the Arms.

Motto 'NEW VIEWS TO LIFE'.
Granted 10th December 1975.

The Suffolk Coastal District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Aldeburgh, the Felixstowe Urban District, the Leiston-cum-Sizewell Urban District, the Saxmundham Urban District, the Woodbridge Urban District, the Blyth Rural District and the Deben Rural District.

suffolk coastal dc arms
suffolk coastal badge
Badge

The basic pattern of the shield - stylized blue and white waves with a chief - follows that of the Deben RDC arms and the shield used by Woodbridge UDC. The waves represent the sea and the main rivers of the area - the Orwell, Deben, Alde and Blyth. The lymphad or ancient galley representing the shipping of the coast and rivers and also the boatbuilding industry. The ship is gold with pennon and flags of St. George and recalls the ship in the arms of the Deben RDC and the Borough of Aldeburgh and the East Suffolk CC, while the waves are also seen in the shield used by the Felixstowe UDC. The chief indicates the name of the authority. "Suffolk" is suggested by the gold engraild cross on black, being the main emblem of the former East Suffolk CC and representing the de Ufford Earls of Suffolk, seen also in Deben's crest. The "Coastal" is denoted by two gold scallop shells, each with seven lobes for the seven former council areas. These emblems are also from the arms of the Seckford family, and are seen in the Deben crest and the Woodbridge device, and also that of Felixstowe.
The castle refers to the historic associations with the castles of Framlingham and Orford. The mitre, like that in the Felixstove device, recalls the ancient bishopric founded at Dunwich by St. Felix. The mitre also alludes to other important monastic and ecclesiastical associations with Leiston, Felixstowe, Woodbridge and Blythburgh. The rising sun is indicative of the easterly situation it also predicts the dawn of a new era for the seven communities in one, symbolized by its seven rays.
The motto carries on the theme of a new era for the Suffolk Coastal area and is from "The Library" by the famous local poet George Crabbe.


TENDRING DISTRICT COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Azure on a Fess between two Chevrons Argent a Mural Crown Gules all between two Flaunches Argent each charged with two Bars wavy Azure surmounted of a Seax point upwards proper hilt and pommel Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an Ancient Ship Gules sail furled proper flying flags and forked pennon of St. George and charged on the hull with three Escallops Or pendent from the yardarm by chains a Portcullis Or nailed and spiked Azure.
BADGE: On a Roundel Azure fimbriated Argent and environed of a Wreath of Laurel Or a Tau Cross Argent.

Motto 'PRO BONO OMNIUM' - For the good of all.
Granted 27th November 1975.

The Tendring District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Harwich, the Brightlingsea Urban District, the Clacton Urban District, the Frinton and Walton Urban District and the Tendring Rural District.

tendring dc arms
tendring badge
Badge

The white fess between two chevrons on a blue background are from the arms of the Tendring family, and were used by the Tendring RDC. The mural crown, representing civic government, is shown with five visible crenellations alluding to the union of the five former authorities into the new district, it is coloured red like the background of the arms of the Essex County Council. The two flaunches on each side of the shield with their blue and white waves represent the coastal areas, the seaxes, like those in the device used by the Frinton and Walton UDC, are from the arms of the County Council.
The ancient ship is derived from those in the crests of the Borough of Harwich and the Clacton UDC. It is red as in the crest of Clacton and has its sail furled as in the crest of Harwich. The three gold shells on its hull represent the three seaside resorts of Frinton, Walton and Brightlingsea. The portcullis hanging from the ship's mast is from the ancient seal and arms of the Borough of Harwich, it indicates together with the flags of St. George of England the importance of this area in former times, in defending the Eastern Approaches.
The motto is based on that of Harwich.


THURROCK BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (ESSEX)

ARMS: Argent on a Fess wavy between in chief a Ship's Screw and a Wheel Azure and in base a Celtic Cross also Azure charged in the centre with a Tudor Rose proper three Lymphads Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours an Albatross rising proper from a Bollard Sable roped Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter a Sea-Lion guardant Or gutty Sable the tail Vert gutty Or and Argent holding in the dexter claw a Block Or tackle Sable and on the sinister a Knight in Armour tempus 1370 resting the exterior hand on the hilt of his sheathed sword a Hound at his feet all proper upon a Compartment per pale Water barry wavy Argent and Azure and a representation of a Stone Quay proper.

Motto 'SECUNDUM TAMESIM QUOVIS GENTIUM' - By the Thames to all peoples of the World.
Arms and crest granted 17th January 1957, to the Thurrock Urban District Council, supporters granted 14th May 1976.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

thurrock bc arms

The ship's screw represents ship repairing and the wheel industry and agriculture all of which are important to the area. The three ships on the blue wave represent the trade and commerce along the River Thames. The Celtic cross recalls the founding of a Christian church in the Thurrock area by St. Cedd in the seventh century, and the Tudor rose recalls the visit of Elizabeth I to Tilbury in August 1588, when she addressed 10,000 troops before the coming of the Spanish Armada.
The albatross signifies the long voyages beginning and ending at Thurrock.
The supporters were added to the original grant to mark the elevation to borough status. The heraldic sea-lion combines the lion of England with a fish tail for the areas maritime associations. The gouttes or teardrops refer to oil, margarine, soap and cement, all of which are produced locally. The knight and hound are derived from a military brass dedicated to Ralph (or Radulphus) de Knevynton, who died in 1370, in St. Michael's Church, Aveley. The compartment represents the Borough's docks and wharves.


TOWN AND PARISH COUNCILS

ALDEBURGH TOWN COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Azure on Water in base an Ancient Ship of three masts in full sail a Ladder affixed to the side amidships proper the mainsail charged with a Lion rampant the fore and aft sails and pennons each charged with a Cross Gules.

Granted 20th October 1561 as a seal (untictured); Certified (with tinctures) as Arms by the King of Arms 5th February 1951.

aldeburgh bc arms

The arms are based on a seal granted to the Borough in 1561. The emblems are appropiate for an ancient port, fishing and shipbuilding centre.


BECCLES TOWN COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Azure a Bend wavy between two Ancient Crowns each enfiling two Arrows in saltire points downwards all Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Clump of Rushes proper issuant therefrom a demi Lion Azure a Dolphin Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Dragon wings inverted and addorsed Gules gorged with a Mural Crown and supporting a Staff Or flying therefrom a Banner Argent charged with a Cross pommée Gules and on the sinister side a like Dragon Or gorged with a Mural Crown Gules and supporting a Staff Or flying therefrom a Banner also Gules charged with two Keys in saltire Or.

Motto 'PROSPERITY THROUGH FIDELITY'.
Granted 23rd February 1956.

beccles tc arms

The blue and gold of the shield are the colours of Bury Abbey, from whose arms come the familiar crowns and arrows of St. Edmund. The manor and rule of Beccles were granted to the monastery by King Edwy, about 960, and Stephen confirmed the gift. At the Dissolution, the manor went to the Rede family, from whose arms the gold wave is taken. This also refers to the River Waveney, which has played such an important part in the town's history.
The rushes recall the fact, that the women of Beccles had the right "to carry away rushes at their pleasure" from the Fen, and these were of considerable value for roofing and flooring. The dolphin, which is appropriate to the town's riverside interests, is from the arms of Sir John Leman, who founded the Grammar School in the early seventeenth century, and the blue lion is from the arms of the Fauconberg family, one of whose members originated the Fauconberg Educational Foundation at about the same time.
The supporters are derived from the royal Tudor dragons of Henry VIII and Elizabeth, who confirmed previous Charters. Henry bore the dragon in red and his daughter in gold, as supporters to the Royal Arms, an example of which can be seen in the Council Offices. Here the dragons' wings are folded like those of the dragon in this panel, dated 1589. The mural crowns are appropriate to a borough, and the banners of the pommelled cross of St. Michael and the keys of St. Peter refer to the parish church and the ancient Fishermen's Church of St. Peter, whose site is now occupied by St. Peter's House.


BUNGAY TOWN COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Barry wavy of six Vert and Argent a Norfolk Wherry in full sail proper pennon flying Gules a Chief Or thereon a Port between two Towers Sable the port ensigned with an Escutcheon Gold charged with a Cross also Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a representation of the Black Dog of Bungay courant proper upon a Ray of Lightning fesswise Gules.

Motto 'MORIBUS ANTIQUIS PAREAMUS' - Let us ever hold fast to the old virtues.
Granted 6th July 1953 to the Bungay Urban District Council, transferred 1974.

bungay tc arms

The green and white waves represent the River Waveney and floating on the river is a wherry as a reminder of the water-borne trade which used to be carried on by these Norfolk craft upstream as far as Bungay, a town then well known as a boat-repairing centre. On the chief is a pictorial representation of Bungay Castle, above the gateway is the shield of Hugh Bigod, Norman builder of the castle in about 1164.
The crest shows the Black Dog of Bungay running along a flash of lightning, as seen in the great storm of August 4th, 1577, when the Devil was said to have appeared in this form in the Priory Church of St. Mary.


BURY ST EDMUNDS TOWN COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Azure three open Crowns Or each transfixed with two Arrows in saltire [points downward] Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Wolf sejant proper holding a King's Head couped at the neck of the last crowned Or; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Motto 'SACRARIUM REGIS CUNABULA LEGIS' - The shrine of a the King and the cradle of the Law.
Granted 29th November 1606.

bury st edmunds bc arms

The arms are based on those assigned by the medieval heralds to the Kingdom of East Anglia, whose last king was St. Edmund.
The crest refers to the story of his martyrdom. In 870 King Edmund was overthrown and captured by the Danes in battle at Hoxne. Choosing martyrdom rather than renounce his Christian faith, he was shot to death by arrows and later beheaded. When his followers discovered the body they we unable to find the head until they heard the King's voice crying out, directing them to a spot where the head was being guarded by a wolf.


CANVEY ISLAND TOWN COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Barry undy Argent and Azure gutty reversed Argent on a Lozenge throughout Vert a Fat-tailed Sheep couchant proper within an Escutcheon voided embattled overall Or between four Oyster Shells proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure on a Mount of Earth a representation of a Canvey Island Dutch Cottage all proper; mantled Azure and Vert doubled Argent and Or.

Motto 'EX MARE DEI GRATIA' - From the sea by the grace of God.
Granted 5th January 1971, to the Canvey Island Urban District Council. Transferred 2008.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

canvey island udc arms

The shield forms a kind of heraldic map showing a green diamond, representing the island, surrounded by the blue and white waves of the Thames Estuary together with emblems referring to former industries. For almost a thousand years Canvey was renowned for its pastures and the large flocks of sheep they sustained, in fact it has been recorded that some 4,000 sheep were on the island in 1592. An offshoot of this dairy farming was the manufacture of cheeses from the ewes' milk and for a brief period this was the main source of income for the island. The fat-tailed sheep in the arms was a breed common on the island. From the earliest times the oyster fisheries of the Essex coast have been of great commercial importance and fame, one of these oyster beds, lay between Canvey Island and Leigh Marsh and is referred to by the oyster shells. Another activity on the island, recalled by the white drops in the arms, was salt extraction, which is thought to date back to the Roman period, the remains of earthenware evaporation pots and other vessels used for storage and the transport of brine have been found on the island. The voided gold escutcheon with its embattled inside represents the sea wall, the seven crenelations refer to the previous seven main drainage sluices.
The cottage represent those which were built to house the Dutchmen working on land reclamation, two of which remain and one of which is now a museum.


GREAT DUNMOW TOWN COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Gules a Chevron between in chief two Fleurs-de-Lys and in base a Lion rampant Or grasping in the dexter forepaw a Civic Mace Argent a Pomegranate slipped leaved and seeded proper between two Mascles chevronwise of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Woolpack proper a Boar passant Azure armed unguled and charged on the flank with three Crescents two and one Or holding in the mouth three Stalks of Barley and a Spray of Hops also proper.

Motto 'MAY DUNMOW PROSPER'.
Granted 20th April 1956, to the Great Dunmow Parish Council.

dunmow arms

The basic colours, the chevron, the lion and the fleurs-de-lys are derived from the arms of the various families that held the manors in Great Dunmow. The two mascles or voided diamonds are from the arms of the Ferrers family. The pomegranate is the badge of the House of Aragon, and recalls the fact that Henry VIII granted the Manor of Great Dunmow to Catherine of Aragon as part of her dower in 1509. The fleurs-de-lys, the emblem of the Virgin Mary, refer to the dedication of the parish church. Fleurs-de-lys are also prominent in the heraldry of the Jenoure and Beaumont families. The silver mace denotes that Great Dunmow once enjoyed borough status.
The woolpack is a reminder that the town owed much of its early wealth to the wool trade and the boar, hops and barley refer to the modern bacon and brewing industries. The boars hooves are shown gold to indicate that it has brought prosperity to the parish. The gold crescents are from the arms of Henniker, Doreword and Bigod.


HADLEIGH TOWN COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

*ARMS: Azure a Chevron Erminois between three Woolpacks Argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Azure upon a Mount Vert a Paschal Lamb Argent supporting a Cross-Staff Or flying a Pennant Azure charged with a Woolpack Argent; Mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Granted 18th February 1618 to the former Borough of Hadleigh. Used unofficially by the Hadleigh Urban District Council.

hadleigh tc arms

These arms were granted in 1618, the year in which Hadleigh, then famous for woollen-cloth production, was incorporated. The woolpacks and Paschal lamb are emblems of this trade. Borough status was lost in 1685 owing to mal-administration.


HALSTEAD TOWN COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Per chevron Vert and Azure in chief two Weaver's Shuttles erect proper and in base a Thunderbolt Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Saltire Azure on a Mount Vert a Garb proper.

Motto 'CONSILIO ET PRUDENTIA' - By wisdom and foresight.
Granted 20th November 1964, to the Halstead Urban District Council.

Picture by R.Young, Halstead, August 2005.

halstead arms

The weaver's shuttles represent the town's long association with Courtauld's Limited, and weaving in general, an industry that has existed in the town since the arrival of Flemish weavers in the fourteenth century. The towns association with the Courtaulds began in 1782 when George Courtauld, a descendant of the Huguenot refugee families, set up in business as a silk throwster. The thunderbolt alludes to Evans Electroselenium (now Ciba Corning Diagnostics), whose managing director gave generously towards the cost of the grant.
The cross of St. Andrew refers to the dedication of the parish church, and the wheatsheaf represents agriculture.


HARWICH TOWN COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Gules a Portcullis chained Or studded and spiked Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon waves of the Sea proper an Ancient Ship with one mast Or at the bow and stern Turrets and affixed below the top of the mast a Tower Argent the sail furled of the last and flying to the dexter a Pennon Gules.

Motto 'OMNIA BONA BONIS' - To the good all things are good.
Granted 15th December 1943, to the Harwich Borough Council, but used before this date.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

harwich tc arms

The arms are based upon the seal of Harwich which was first incorporated in 1318, by Edward II and the first such use of the portcullis as arms appears to be no earlier than 1669. The portcullis was a favourite badge of the Tudors, and its adoption by the town may have been a way of honouring them, indeed the visit of Henry VIII to Harwich in 1543 is given a place of conspicuous honour on the first page of the oldest extant volume of the records of the borough. Even if this were not the case the portcullis is an appropriate emblem for a town which was once the principal gate of port of entrance into England from Europe, and even today is a thriving port.
The ship may be derived from some ancient seal and as it is not uncommon for a port-town to display some sort of ship on one side or other of its seal this is likely to be the case. The tower affixed to the mast serves to distinguish the ship from other similar crests and perhaps also symbolises the need for vigilance in a place that had an important role in the defence of the realm. It was however unusual in early times for a borough to use a crest at all, and this is further evidence that the arms of Harwich are probably not very ancient, even though derived from a seal of greater antiquity.


HUNSTANTON TOWN COUNCIL (NORFOLK)

ARMS: Barry wavy Argent and Azure on a Pile reversed Gules two Arrows in saltire points downwards enfiled with a Coronet of four Fleurs-de-Lys set upon a Rim Or on a Chief also Gules a Lion passant of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Sea Lion Or supporting an Ostrich Feather erect Argent.

Motto 'ALIOS DELECTARE JUVAT' - It is our pleasure to please others.
Granted 9th September 1955.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

hunstanton tc arms

The blue and white waves refer to the town's maritime location and the arrows and crown to St. Edmund, King of East Anglia. On the top of the cliffs are the ruins of St Edmund's Chapel which dates back to 1272 and celebrates the legend that when St Edmund first came from Saxony in 855 he landed near Hunstanton cliffs. The white lion is from the arms of the Le Strange family, who have been associated with Hunstanton for nearly a thousand years. Henry Styleman Le Strange, in 1845 issued a prospectus for a coastal holiday resort on an undeveloped part of his estate, leading to the growh of the modern town.
The crest combines the lion of England with a fish tail, giving a further maritime reference and the ostrich feather is from the arms of the Norfolk County Council.


MALDON TOWN COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Party per pale Azure and Argent on the dexter side three Lions passant guardant in pale Or and on the sinister side on Waves of the Sea in base proper a Ship of one mast Sable the mast surmounted by a Fleur-de-Lys Or and from the masthead a Pennon flotant to the sinister Gules the sail furled Argent and from a Turret at the stern a Flagstaff erect surmounted by a Fleur-de-Lys Gold and therefrom a Banner to the sinister charged Azure three Lions passant guardant in pale Or.

Recorded at the College of Arms in 1614 and 1664.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

maldon tc arms

The arms are derived from designs found on either side of the earliest known heraldic seal of Maldon, which date from the mid-fourteenth century. The lions, derived from the royal arms with the field changed from red to blue for difference, recall the fact that Maldon was a Royal Borough. The ship recalls the towns ancient glory as a port and its immemorial duty to provide a ship, for the service of king and country went called upon. It may be noted that the fleurs-de-lys surmounting the mast and flagstaff are also royal emblems, the English royal arms were quartered with those of France in 1340, when Edward III laid claim to the French throne. This indicates that the seal upon which the arms were based is no older than this date. Over the years the arms of Maldon have varied slightly, at the Visitation of Essex in 1569 the lions were recorded as rampant upon a red field. In other versions the lions are shown reguardant, in one they are transfixed by a lance and in another the banner on the ship shows the French royal arms.


NORTH WALSHAM TOWN COUNCIL (NORFOLK)

ARMS: Sable a Crozier between two ancient Crowns Or on a Chief dancetty of the last a Cross flory of the first between two Garbs Vert.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Sun in splendour Or a Griffin sejant Sable collared Gules.

Motto 'NON NOBIS SED OMNIBUS'.
Granted 19th December 1949, to the North Walsham Urban District Council.

north walsham tc arms

The crozier and crowns are those of St. Benet-at-Hulme. The dancetty chief is from the arms of the Paston family and the cross flory from the arms of Lord Nelson. The green sheaves on gold indicate agriculture and "early growth".
The Griffin is also from the heraldry of the Paston family, and the radiant sun refers to the healthy nature of the district.


RAYLEIGH TOWN COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Wyvern Vert armed and langued and the jaws and underparts Gules on a Chief Gules a Seax point to the sinister proper hilt and pommel Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules on a Mount Vert a Roe Doe statant proper pendent from the neck by a Chain Or an Escutcheon Argent charged with a Tudor Rose proper.

Motto 'IN RELIQUIAM LABORAMUS' - We work for the future.
Granted 20th December 1962, to Rayleigh Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

rayleigh udc arms

At the time of the Norman Conquest, Rayleigh Mount and Castle was the seat of the Hereditary King's Standard Bearer. It is believed that the English Standard consisted of a wyvern carried aloft on a pole and it is this standard that provided the inspiration for the main charge in the arms. The county is recalled by one of the seaxes from its arms upon a red field.
The name Rayleigh, according to the English Place Name Society, means 'roe deer in a glade or clearing', to which the crest refers. The doe stands upon a representation of the famous Rayleigh Mount, the site of a Norman fortification built by the Sheriff of Rayleigh, the son of Robert FitzWimarc a local landowner. The original castle was probably a rough timber structure, but was later replaced by the Sheriff's son Robert de Essex. The castle passed to the crown after Robert's son Henry fell from royal favour, and from then on the castle fell into decay. Rayleigh Mount is now in the care of the National Trust and commands fine views across the valley of the River Crouch. The Tudor rose was a favourite badge of Henry VIII and refers to the association between the town and that monarch, through his hunting park and lodges - now Eastwood Lodge and Rayleigh Lodge.
The first three syllables of the motto form a pun (In Rayleigh).


SAFFRON WALDEN TOWN COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Vert within a representation of Town Walls having a Gateway between two Towers Argent three Saffron Flowers issuant from the battlements blown and showing stamens proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Chapeau Gules turned up Ermine a Lion rampant Azure grasping in the dexter paw a representation of the Ancient Mace of the Borough of Saffron Walden proper.

Granted 20th November 1961, to the Saffron Walden Borough Council.

saffron walden tc arms

The earliest representation of the design which eventually became the arms of Saffron Walden appears on a seal dating from 1549, which was prepared after the town was granted a charter in February of that year by Edward VI. W.G. Benham in his book Essex Borough Arms suggests that the design was chosen as a pun of the name Saffron Walden - saffron (flowers) walled-in, and this is perhaps the most probable explanation. The gateway and towers could also be seen as recalling the castle said to have been built by Geoffrey de Mandeville around 1100, however it had a short life and was abandoned around one hundred years after its building and quickly fell into ruin, long before the first seal was prepared. The seal of 1836, depicted the three saffron flowers in various stages, one in bud, another in flower and the last fully open, signifying the three stages of the town's municipal history - its incorporation as a Commonalty in 1539, its flowering as a Municipal Borough in 1685 and its restructuring under the Municipal Corporations Act of 1835. Although the design has appeared on a shield in the form of arms for over three hundred, albeit with variations in colouring, it was not until 1961 that they we officially granted as such. Incidentally the 'saffron' part of the town's name refers to the cultivation of the saffron crocus at Walden from the time of Edward III until the eighteenth century. Sometimes the 'arms' were embellished with a lion for a crest, this was perhaps a perpetuation of the lion which together with a dragon supported the 'arms' on a seal which was affixed to the gilt-silver mace procured after the town became a borough with full municipal privileges in 1685, upon the granting of a charter by James II. It seems likely that the crest granted in 1961 was suggested by the earlier lion. The chapeau is probably derived from the crest of the Braybrook family of Audley End and the Ancient Mace of the Borough is also depicted.


SAWSTON PARISH COUNCIL (CAMBS)

*ARMS: Gules fretty Argent a Bend wavy Azure fimbriated Or.
*CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Kingfisher wings elevated and addorsed grasping in the dexter claw a Roll of Parchment proper.

Granted ?.

sawston pc arms

The white frets on red are derived from the arms of the Huddleston family, owners of the Sawston estate from 1517 until the 1980s. The wavy blue band refers to the River Cam, from which much of the Village's prosperity has been derived.
The kingfisher is a local inhabitant and bears a scroll of parchment or paper. This refers to the leather, parchment and paper industries, that have been know in the village since the eighteenth century.


SHERINGHAM TOWN COUNCIL (NORFOLK)

ARMS: Per chevron Vert and Argent in chief two Pine Cones Or and in base on Water barry wavy a three-masted Fishing Vessel of the sixteenth century in full sail proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Hurt fimbriated and charged with a Lobster Or.

Motto 'MARE DITAT PINUSQUE DECORAT' - The sea enriches and the pine adorns.
Granted 26th March 1953, to the Sheringham Urban District Council.

sheringham tc arms

The two pine cones on a field of green represent the pine woods behind the town, and below there is a sixteenth century fishing vessel in full sail.
The lobster in a ring of gold signifies the wealth of Sheringham is derived from the sea.


SPRINGFIELD PARISH COUNCIL (ESSEX)

*ARMS: Vert on a Fess wavy between in chief three Seaxes Argent conjoined in pile reversed pommels and hilts Or between two Millrinds and in base a Garb also Or a Bar wavy Azure.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert upon a Mount Vert in front of a representation of the Tower of All Saints Church Springfield between two Poplar Trees proper a Plough Or.

Granted 1995?

Picture by R.Young, Springfield, May 2009.

springfield pc arms

The two millrinds symbolise the mill at Barnes Mill and the white and blue wave represents the Rivers Chelmer and Blackwater which form a large part of the Springfield Parish boundary. The three seaxes are for Essex and the wheatsheaf represents the agricultural nature of the area.
The tower depicts that of Springfield All Saints Church, which although not in the Parish of Springfield now was prior to 1907. The poplar trees either side of the tower are shown on a photograph of the Church taken in the 1990's. The plough symbolises the agricultural aspect of the area in the past in that Springfield was a tiny settlement of a few houses and land was agricultural in use. The plough is copied from a drawing of men ploughing with oxen from an 11th century calendar. The spring flowers on the mound under the plough symbolises the extensive bulb planting that took place in the Parish in the 1970's and 80's.


STOWMARKET TOWN COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Or three Crowns Gules on a Chief Azure a Mitre Argent garnished Or.

Motto 'SIT ANIMA MEA CUM CHRISTO' - May my Soul be with Christ.
Granted 1970, to the Stowmarket Urban District Council. Transferred 1974.

stowmarket tc arms
curfew tower
Arms of St. Osyths Priory on a piece of Goss china

The three red crowns on gold are derived from the arms of the Abbot of St. Osyth in Essex. The significance of this is that the Town and Manor of Stowmarket, with the royalties and the church living, were held by the Augustine Abbey of St. Osyth from 1348 until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. St. Osyth or Ositha, daughter of King Frithwald and married to Sighere, King of the East Saxons. It is said that she lived as a religious person and was beheaded by the Danes in 653 AD, in one of their bloody ravages, because she would not worship their idols, and the Priory was built in her honour. It is also claimed that the Monastery adopted the arms of St. Osyth to honour her memory – three bloody crowns which spoke of the painful death of the pious virgin Queen and the gold shield of rich inheritance in heaven.


SUDBURY TOWN COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Sable a Talbot sejant Argent on a Chief Gules a Lion passant guardant between two Fleurs-de-Lis Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Talbot's Head erased Or between two Ostrich Feathers erect Argent.

Granted 20th September 1576, to the Borough of Sudbury.

sudbury tc arms

The talbot is from the arms of the Sudbury or Sudberry family, and is said to have been adopted in particular reference to Simon of Sudbury, in the fourteenth century successively Bishop of London, Archbishop of Canterbury and Chancellor of England. Simon, a native of Sudbury, was a benefactor of the town, and it was natural that the townsmen should remember him when obtaining arms; but Burke credits him with a different coat, namely: Silver, on a blue cross a gold crowned M. The lion, fleur-de-lis and ostrich feathers are of a royal character. The talbot's head in the crest is sometimes represented as red or sometimes as black.


WALTHAM ABBEY TOWN COUNCIL (ESSEX)

ARMS: Argent on a Cross engrailed Sable a Lion's Face between four Crosses bottonnée Or.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of six Fleurs-de-Lys set upon a Rim Or a demi-Stag at gaze proper charged on the shoulder with a Fountain and holding in the mouth a Seaxe the blade Argent the hilt and pommel Or mantled Gules doubled Argent.

Motto 'SANCTAE NOMINE CRUCIS' - The Holy Cross by name.
Granted 9th November 1956, to the Waltham Holy Cross Urban District Council.

waltham abbey tc arms

The town of Waltham was traditionally founded by Tovi or Tofig, when he built a wooden church to house the miracle-working crucifix (The Holy Cross) discovered on his estate in Somerset. The wooden church was later replaced by one of stone by Earl (later King) Harold, who was traditionally buried here after the Battle of Hastings. Harold's association with the town is recalled by the lion's face from the arms attributed to him. In 1184 the Priory founded in 1177 by Henry II on the site of Harold's church, as part of his penance for his role in the murder of Thomas Becket, was replaced by an Abbey. The Abbey, from whose arms the black cross on white is taken, grew to become one of the richest in Essex and held extensive lands from the 12th century until it was the last abbey to be dissolved in 1540.
The modern Epping Forest, which was formerly known as Waltham Forest and covers a large area of the parish, is represented by the stag and the crown, an indication that it was a royal hunting preserve. The River Lea, which forms the western boundary and the King George V Reservoir are represented by the fountain, an heraldic symbol for water. The seaxe and the red and white of the mantling are from the arms of the Essex County Council, these colours are also the liveries of the Corporation of London, present controllers of Epping Forest.


WISBECH TOWN COUNCIL (CAMBS)

ARMS: Azure representations of St. Peter and St. Paul standing within a double Canopy Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a sixteenth century Ship with three Masts Or on each mast a square Sail Azure the center one charged with two Keys in saltire wards upwards and the other two charged with a Castle Gold.

Granted 11th November 1929 to the Wisbech Borough Council.

wisbech tc arms

The figures of St. Peter and St. Paul, to whom the parish church is dedicated, appeared on the Corpora­tion seal.
The ship recalls the town's former note as a port and the crossed keys on the centre sail refer to St Peter. The castles refer to the ancient stronghold built, it is said, by William I, and converted in the fifteenth century into a palace for the Bishops of Ely.


WOODBRIDGE TOWN COUNCIL (SUFFOLK)

ARMS: Per bend Argent and barry wavy Argent and Azure a Bend Gules charged with three Escallops Argent in sinister chief a Rose of the species Rosa Damascena Var Omar Khayyam flowered slipped and leaved proper.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules on the Stump of an Oak Tree sprouting proper a Cock Vert head to the dexter in front of a Cock Or head to the sinister both beaked legged combed and wattled Gules.

Motto 'PRESERVATION AND PROGRESS'.
Granted 12th May 1975.

Picture and information thanks to Woodbridge Town Council.

woodbridge tc arms

The blue and white waves symbolise the River Deben and were seen on the device previously used bt the Town Council, as were the silver scallop shells on red. These are taken from the arms of Thomas Seckford, who was Woodbridge’s most influential citizen and greatest benefactor, rising to power in the reign of Mary Tudor. In 1575 he built the Shire Hall in Market Hill, which now houses the offices of Woodbridge Town Council. They can also been seen as a reference to the Town’s maritime interests and its long history as a port. The rose commemorates Edward Fitzgerald’s residence in Woodbridge during the 19th century, he is most famous for his translation of the 11th century Persian poem "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam". He was buried in Boulge churchyard and the rose tree over his grave came from hips brought from Omar Khayyam's grave at Naishapur.
The oak stump refers to the wooden bridge from which the Town is said to derive its name. It is also a reference to the building of warships and pleasure craft over the centuries. The cockerels are taken from the ancient crest recorded for the Seckford family at the visitation of Suffolk in 1561 and 1577.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page