CORNWALL AND WESSEX AREA
The Cornwall and Wessex Area is largely coterminious with the South West Government Office Region, with the addition of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, and the exclusion of Gloucestershire. I have named it after the Duchy of Cornwall and the ancient Kingdom of Wessex.
It includes the historic counties of Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire.
In terms of former administrative counties it includes Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire, Wiltshire and the Isle or Wight.
In terms of ceremonial counties is includes Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Dorset, Hampshire, Wiltshire and the Isle or Wight.

  1. Cornwall UA
  2. Torridge Devon (no arms)
  3. West Devon Devon
  4. Plymouth UA Devon
  5. South Hams Devon (no arms)
  6. North Devon Devon (no arms)
  7. Mid Devon Devon
  8. Teignbridge Devon
  9. Exeter Devon
  10. Torbay UA Devon
  11. East Devon Devon
  12. North Somerset UA Somerset (no arms)
  13. Bath and North East Somerset UA Somerset (no arms)
  14. West Somerset Somerset (no arms)
  15. Sedgemoor Somerset (no arms)
  16. Mendip Somerset (no arms)
  17. Taunton Deane Somerset (no arms)
  18. South Somerset Somerset (no arms)
  19. West Dorset Dorset
  20. Weymouth and Portland Dorset (still to be added)
  21. North Dorset Dorset (no arms)
  22. Purbeck Dorset (no arms)
  23. East Dorset Dorset
  24. Poole UA Dorset
  25. Bournemouth UA Dorset
  26. Christchurch Dorset
  27. Isle of Wight UA
  28. Swindon UA Wiltshire
  29. Wiltshire UA
  30. New Forest Hampshire
  31. Test Valley Hampshire
  32. Basingstoke and Deane Hampshire
  33. Hart Hampshire (no arms)
  34. Rushmoor Hampshire
  35. Winchester Hampshire
  36. East Hampshire Hampshire
  37. Southampton UA Hampshire (still to be added)
  38. Eastleigh Hampshire
  39. Fareham Hampshire
  40. Gosport Hampshire (no arms)
  41. Portsmouth UA Hampshire
  42. Havant Hampshire (still to be added)
cornwall and wessex map (current)

CORNWALL COUNTY COUNCIL (UA)

ARMS: Sable fifteen Bezants in pile within a Bordure barry wavy of eight Argent and Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure a Chough proper resting the dexter claw upon a Ducal Coronet Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Fisherman holding over the exterior shoulder a Net and on the sinister side a Miner resting the exterior hand on a Sledge Hammer all proper.

Motto 'ONE AND ALL'.
Granted 5th April 1939.

cornwall cc arms
arms of duchy
Arms of the Duchy at Bodmin Gaol

The bezants or golden roundels are from the arms of the Duchy of Cornwall, which also includes land in Devon, London and the Scilly Isles, and has long been the inheritance of the Monarch's eldest son, as is the title of Duke of Cornwall. As emblems of Cornwall, the bezants originated in the arms of King John's second son, Richard, Earl of Cornwall and Count of Poictou. Many theories have been made about their origin, although no-one is really certain how the county came to adopt such a bold graphic symbol. Nowadays fifteen bezants appear arranged in an inverted triangle, but earlier Cornish emblems show them used as a border, or arranged to fill a whole shield. One theory is that they represented peas (poix) in punning allusion to Poictou. A more colourful conjecture is the tale of the King's eldest son, captured by Saracens during the Crusades. Loyal Cornishmen, it is said, helped to raise the ransom of fifteen golden coins, or bezants, named after Eastern Europe's Byzantium. The shield is thought to commemorate this Prince's ransom, with the legend 'one and all' noting a splendid joint effort by Cornishmen to save their Duke of Cornwall. However derived, the bezants have been associated with Cornwall for centuries, and occur in the arms of some Cornish families and towns, and also of other places connected with the Duchy, for example Lambeth. The border is appropriate to a County which is almost surrounded by sea.
Above the shield rests the Chough, a member of the crow family, with blue-black plumage and a distinctive curved red bill. The Chough used to proliferate on the cliffs of Cornwall, but is now almost extinct in the county, although conservationists are working to re-establish it through breeding in captivity. The bird rests its claw on a Ducal Coronet, a further reference to the Duchy.
The bearded sea fisherman represents the county's maritime connections, and he stands opposite the tin miner, a reminder of Cornwall's great mineral wealth and pioneering industrial heritage.


DEVON COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Lion rampant Gules crowned Or on a Chief wavy per fesse Azure and barry wavy of the first and fourth an ancient Ship Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Gules out of a Naval Coronet Or a Dartmoor Poy's Head in the mouth a Sprig of Heather proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Devon Bull and on the sinister side a Sea Lion both proper.

Motto 'AUXILIO DIVINO' - By divine aid.
Arms granted 11th October 1926. Crest and Supporters granted 6th March 1962.
devon cc arms

The silver field and lion crowned with gold is a device alleged to have been granted to Devon in the 13th Century by Richard, Earl of Cornwall, King of the Romans and brother of Henry III. The charge occurs on a tile found in Crediton Church, and is similar to the charge on the shield of Richard in Westminster Abbey and in Salisbury Cathedral. The colour of the lion is appropriate to the red soil of the County. The waves of the sea and the 13th Century ship denote the County's maritime importance. The crest is symbolic of the County's main physical feature - the vast expanse of the two National Parks, Dartmoor and Exmoor. The crest also serves as a reminder of the County's tourist attractions, probably second only in importance to its agricultural interests.
The bull represents the County's predominant agriculrural character and the sea lion its importance, past and present in maritime affairs.


DORSET COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent three Lions passant guardant in pale and in base a Fleur-de-Lys Gules; the Shield ensigned with a Mural Crown towered Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Dragon wings elevated and addorsed Or gorged with a Saxon Crown Gules.

Motto 'WHO'S AFEAR'D'.
Granted 21st February 1950.

dorset cc arms

The three lions are taken from the design on the seal formerly used by the Council from its incorporation in 1888. These together with the fleur-de-lys were probably derived from the old seal of Dorchester with bore the former royal arms of England, namely France Ancient and England quarterly.
The dragons and Saxon crowns recall that Dorset was once part of the Saxon kingdom of Wessex, whose kings, so tradition has it went to war with a golden dragon on there banners.
The motto is that used by the Society of Dorset men. The three lions represent England and lions are found in the arms of Dorchester, Bridport, Lyme Regis, Weymouth and Blandford Forum. Lions' faces are in the coat of arms of Shaftesbury. The fleur-de-lis appears in the shields of of Dorchester, Bridport, Wareham and Shaftesbury. The mural crown is designed to echo the insignia of the Dorset Regiment and the Society of Dorset Men and the golden dragon of Wessex or Wyvern represented the ancient kingdom of Wessex. The motto of 'Who's afear'd' was one of four originally suggested, including Lord Shaftesbury's suggestion; 'Excellence where Beauty Reigns'. 'Who's afear'd' was adopted by the Society of Dorset Men in 1905 at the suggestion of Thomas Hardy. It was converted to Dorset dialect by them in 1908, and was suggested to the County Council by a Colonel C.D.Drew, then curator of the Dorset County Museum.


HAMPSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL
Link to Hampshire CC Web Site

ARMS: Per fess Gules and Or in chief a Royal Crown proper and in base a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper.
CREST: Within a Saxon Crown a twin-towered Castle Or, Mantled Gules doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: Standing upon a grassy Compartment Vert semy of Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper on the dexter side a Lion rampant guardant Or gorged with a Collar and pendant therefrom by a chain a pair of Swords in saltire points uppermost Azure and on the sinister side a Stag also rampant guardant Or gorged with a Naval Crown pendant therefrom by a chain an Anchor proper.

Granted 18th June 1992.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

hants cc arms

The arms incorporate the rose and crown from the old county badge. According to tradition, the red rose was granted to the County by John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster. Roses appear with other emblems in various arms of Hampshire authorities and the present arms of Southampton. It is worth noting that the use of the Royal Crown by anyone outside the Royal Family requires the permission of Her Majesty the Queen. Her Majesty graciously conferred this honour on Hampshire County Council by Royal Warrant.
The Saxon crown denotes the county's links with Wessex, the historic kingdom of which Winchester was capital. The castle represents Hampshire's important role through the centuries in the defence of the realm; a role reflected in the county's wealth of military heritage.
The golden lion derived from the Royal Arms represents Winchester's former status as the capital of England. This martial beast also signifies Hampshire's traditional connection with the Army; a connection further emphasised by the crossed swords hanging from the lion's collar. The stag represents the New Forest, the royal hunting ground created by William the Conqueror. The naval coronet and anchor around the stag's neck signify the county's historic association with the sea and the Royal Navy.
The compartment consists of a field of roses, representing the fine countryside of Hampshire.


SOMERSET COUNTY COUNCIL

ARMS: Or a Dragon rampant Gules holding in the claws a Mace erect Azure.
*CREST: Out of a Saxon Crown Or a demi Ram Argent armed and unguled Gules holding in the mouth a Cheddar Pink Flower slipped and leaved proper; Mantled Vert doubled Or.
*SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Stag Gules attired unguled and gorged with a Saxon Crown Or and on the sinister side a Bull also Gules armed unguled and gorged with a like Saxon Crown Or; all upon a Compartment composed of a grassy Mount proper semy of Cider Apples Or.

Motto 'SUMORSAETE EALLE' - All the people of Somerset.
Arms granted 29th December 1911. Crest and supporters granted 14th October 2003?

somerset cc arms

The dragon was said to have been the emblem of the Royal House of the Saxon Kingdom of Wessex, of which Somerset was a part. The Wessex dragon is sometimes shown red and sometimes gold. According to Henry of Huntingdon, writing in the twelfth century, the dragon was already the emblem of the West Saxons at the middle of the eighth century, and it seems to be likely that they had adopted it in token of their conquest of the Britons. While Somerset bears the dragon in token of the Kingdom of Wessex, the emblem also aptly recalls that according to legend the County contains King Arthur's capital, Camelot, and his place of burial, Avalon. The mace is the symbol of local government.
The Saxon Crown along with those about the necks of the supporters refer to the three kings of Saxon England buried at Glastonbury. The Cheddar Pink is a flower that grows only on stony ledges in Cheddar Gorge.
The ram, stag, bull and cider apples represent Somerset's agriculture and natural history.
The motto recalls dramatic days in the history of Wessex when, early in 878 Danish invaders threatened to overwhelm the kingdom and Alfred the Great, the young King of Wessex, was forced to take refuge on Athelney in the 'fen fastnesses' of the Somerset Levels. The story is famously told in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

"And afterwards at Easter . . . he and the section of the people of Somerset which was nearest to it proceeded to fight . . . against the enemy. Then in the seventh week after Easter he rode to Egbert's Stone east of Selwood, and there came to meet him all the people of Somerset ('Sumorsaete ealle') and of Wiltshire and of that part of Hampshire which was on the side of the sea, and they rejoiced to see him."

The Chronicle continues by recording Alfred’s defeat of the Danes at Edington in Wiltshire and the baptism at Aller, near Athelney, of the Danish leader.
It was appropriate that when the County Council was granted armorial bearings the golden dragon should have been chosen as the centrepiece of the shield, and that its motto should be 'Sumorsaete ealle', recalling those crucial events in national history when Somerset and its people were first mentioned.


WILTSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL (UA)

ARMS: Barry of eight Argent and Vert on a Canton of the first a Dragon rampant Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Bustard wings elevated and addorsed proper.
BADGE: On a Roundel barry of eight Argent and Vert a Bustard wings addorsed proper.

Arms and crest granted 5th April 1937. Badge granted 30th June 1967.

wiltshire cc arms
wiltshire badge
Badge

The green and white bars were probably intended to represent the chalk and downs of the County. The canton is charged with the red dragon of Wessex, of which Wilton was the ancient capital.
The great bustard was a large, swift-running bird, claimed to be last seen in Wiltshire the late 1890s before it became extinct in England.


BASINGSTOKE AND DEANE BOROUGH COUNCIL (HANTS)

ARMS: Per chevron wavy Or and Argent a Chevronel wavy Azure between in chief two Beech Trees couped and in base a representation of St. Michael habited in Armour proper, a Skirt paly Gules and Argent hemmed Argent, and a Cloak Gules, nimbed and winged Or, brandishing in the dexter hand a Sword proper and standing upon and vulning with a Long Cross pommy Gules held in the sinister hand a Dragon on its back Vert.

Motto 'STEADFAST IN SERVICE'.
Granted ?.

The Borough of Basingstoke Deane was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Basingstoke, the Basingstoke Rural District and the Kingsclere and Whitchurch Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

basingstoke and deane bc arms

The shield forms a kind of heraldic map with the two former Rural Districts symbolised by two beech trees, a predominant feature of the natural scene, on a background of gold representing agriculture. The narrow blue wave suggests the Test, Bourne, Loddon and other local rivers watering the district. St. Michael and the dragon, is taken from the ancient seal of the former Borough of Basingstoke and has been used in the past in lieu of a coat of arms. This is depicted as in recent versions except that the staff in his left hand is topped with the distinctive St. Michael's Cross, with rounded ends, as it is in the ancient seal. This cross may be seen prominently displayed in St. Michael's Church, Basingstoke.
The motto is derived from the mottoes of Lord Porchester and the Earls of Carnarvon 'Ung Je Serviray' and Lord Portal 'Constanter'


BOURNEMOUTH BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (DORSET)

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Azure a Cross flory between a Lion rampant holding between the paws a Rose in the first and fourth quar­ters six Martlets two two and two in the second and four Salmons naiant and in pale in the third all counterchanged.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert a Pine Tree proper in front four Roses fessewise Or.

Motto 'PULCHRITUDO ET SALUBRITAS' - Beauty and health.
Granted 24th March 1891, to the Bournemouth County Borough Council.

Picture courtesy of Sandy Turnbull, Melbourne, Australia.

bournemouth bc arms

The cross flory, the marlets and the basic colours of gold and blue are taken from the arms attributed to King Edward the Confessor. The whole district in the midst of which Bournemouth stands was originally a Royal Estate belonging to him. The four salmon represent the River Stour, which marks the boundary between Christchurch and Bournemouth. The lion is that of England, coloured blue to distinguish it from the royal lion, and made rampant 'as indicating the constant-calls to arms necessary in all that coast during the Middle Ages. The roses in the paws of the lions are the English roses and are also a part of the arms of Hampshire, the county where Bournemouth was originally situated. The martlets are also locally regarded as sand-martins, representing Bournemouth's sand cliffs, while the colours and the fish also suggest sky, sands, and sea.
The four English Roses surmounted by a pine tree of the crest, symbolise the town's gardens and parks, the salubrity of Bournemouth's climate, and the use of the rose - the queen of flowers, emphasizes the motto.


CHRISTCHURCH BOROUGH COUNCIL (DORSET)

ARMS: Ermine on a Chevron Gules debruising a Pall Azure a Cross formy between two Salmon naiant respectant Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Or charged with a Chi Rho Monogram Sable a representation of the upper storey of the Tower of Christchurch Priory proper; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion guardant per fess Or and Azure crowned with a Saxon Crown Azure and resting the interior hind paw on the Stump of an Oak Tree eradicated and leaved proper.

Motto 'FOR FIDELITY AND FREEDOM'.
Granted 15th December 1970.

The Borough of Christchurch was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Christchurch and part of the Ringwood and Fordingbridge Rural District.

christchurch bc arms

The ermine background relates to the status of Christchurch as a Royal Borough in the time of King Alfred, and the blue pall represents the confluence of the rivers Avon and Stour in Christchurch Harbour. The red chevron alludes to the ancient bridge over the River Avon and the "Bailey Bridge" developed at the experimental bridging establishment (now M.V.E.E.) in Christchurch. The salmon recall the ancient and important fishing industry and the cross formy alludes to the town's close association with the Priory Church.
The crest shows the north elevation of the Priory Church tower, together with a mural crown denoting borough status and the Chi-Rho monogram refering to Christ.
The gold half of the lions are derived from the Lions of England and the blue half from the heraldry of the Redvers. The earliest charter of the Borough having been granted by Baldwin de Redvers. The oak stumps refer to the proximity of the New Forset.


EAST DEVON DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Barry of six Argent and Azure an ancient Ship of two masts each having two sails set all proper flying at each masthead a Pennon of St. George and at the bow and stern a forked Pennon also of St. George on a chief Azure a rising Sun of nine rays issuant also Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Gules in front of a demi Otter erect holding in the mouth a Honeysuckle Flower slipped and leaved proper three Ears of Wheat leaved Or.
BADGE: Out of an Eastern Crown Or a demi Lion Gules holding between the paws a rising Sun as in the Arms.

Granted 25th May 1976.

The East Devon District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Honiton, the Budleigh Salterton Urban District, the Exmouth Urban District, the Ottery St. Mary Urban District, the Seaton Urban District, the Sidmouth Urban District, the Axminster Rural District, the Honiton Rural District and part of the St. Thomas Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

east devon dc arms
east devon badge
Badge

Ancient ships and a 'chief' where common to the arms of the four former coastal authorities. Against a background of six white and blue waves is an ancient ship combining the conventional singlemasted and single-sailed galley of Seaton UDC, Sidmouth UDC and Exmouth UDC with the distinctive ship with two sails on one mast seen in the arms of Budleigh Salterton UDC. This new ship has two masts and four sails, all set, to suggest these four areas of the coast. The red Cross of St. George on white is a traditional symbol of England. The golden rising sun, on a blue back ground, suggests the East, having nine rays indicating the combination of nine authorities in East Devon.
The wreath is in the basic colours of the Devon soil, sun and beaches, red and gold. The three golden ears of wheat suggest the three former Rural Districts of Honiton, Axminster and St. Thomas. The otter refers to the River Otter and Ottery St. Mary, and is a reference to the animal featured in the Coleridge arms. The honeysuckle flower is from the ancient seal of the Borough of Honiton.
The badge consists of the red lion from the County arms, seen also in Seaton's and Sidmouth's crests, holding the nine-rayed sun from the shield and rising from a straightrayed gold crown known in heraldry as an Eastern crown. The badge thus illustrates the name.


EAST DORSET AND WIMBORNE DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Stag's Head caboshed between the attires a Cross flory Or on a Chief Argent a Fleur-de-Lys between two Saxon Crowns Gules.
CREST: Out of a Coronet composed of two Fleurs-de-Lys Or and as many Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper set alternately upon a Rim Gold a demi Lion Ermine ducally gorged also Gold and holding between the paws a Chapeau Gules turned up Ermine.

Motto 'SERIO SERVIRE' - Earnestly to serve.
Granted 29th May 1959, to the Wimborne and Cranborne Rurual District Council.

The East Dorset and Wimborne District was formed by the amalgamation of the Wimborne Minster Urban District, part of the Ringwood and Fordingbridge Rural District and the Wimborne and Cranborne Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

east dorset dc arms

The shield symbolises the District of East Dorset in the ancient Kingdom of Wessex. The gold cross and blue field are from the ancient arms of Wimbome Minster, derived from those traditionally assigned to Edward the Confessor its founder, and the gold stag's head represents the ancient Royal Chase of Cranbome; the Minster and Chase each exerted a considerable influence on the area now represented by the District. The red fleur-de-lys from the arms of the Dorset CC and the red Saxon crowns are derived from those which encircle the necks of the Wessex Dragons supporting the County Shield.
The ermine lion is that of the Cecils, Marquesses of Salisbury and Viscounts Cranborne. The lion wears the gold crown and and holds the cap of maintenance from the crest of the Ashley-Coopers, Earls of Shaftesbury, of Wimbome St. Giles. The crown from which the lion emerges is composed of two fleurs-de-lys of gold from the arms of the Bankes family of Kingston Lacy, while the two red roses (of which only one is visible) are from the Sturts, Earls Arlington of Crichel.


EAST HAMPSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert on each of two Pales Argent a Palet wavy Azure all between five Beech Nuts in cross Or.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Or a Natterjack Toad salient Vert.
BADGE: Issuant from behind a Rose Gules barbed and seeded proper sixteen Ploughshares gyronwise points outwards Gold.

Motto 'MENTE ET MANU' - By mind and hand.
Granted 1980?

The East Hampshire District was formed by the amalgamation of the Alton Urban District, the Petersfield Urban District, the Alton Rural District and the Petersfield Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

east hants dc arms
east hampshire badge
Badge

The green background represents the agriculture and rural nature of the District. The white 'pales' relate to the chalk downs and the two blue 'palets' represent the District's principal rivers - the Rother and Wey. The beech nuts refer to the woodlands and hangers, particularly as the beech is the predominant indigenous tree in the District. They are also intended to represent the literary associations of Jane Austen, Edward Thomas and Gilbert White, as the words 'beech' and 'book' have a common origin - the original European runic signs being marked on strips of beech bark.
The helm itself recalls the Civil War battle at Alton and to reflect the modern military presences of the Royal Air Force at Oakhanger, the Royal Navy at HMS Mercury, and the Army at Bordon. The mural crown is a usual feature of civic arms, and the natterjack toad was selected, as it is a very rare in Europe, the District being almost unique in containing one of its breeding grounds.
The badge combines ploughshares for agriculture and 'the Hampshire rose', the arrangement of the ploughshares suggests symbolically a rising sun, thus 'East Hampshire'.


EASTLEIGH BOROUGH COUNCIL (HANTS)
Link to Eastleigh BC Web Site

ARMS: Azure a Fess Or thereon a Fess chequy Sable and Argent cotised Sable and charged with a winged Wheel Gules between in chief a Mitre proper between two Garbs Or and in base a Lymphad sails furled also Or.
CREST: Issuant from a Naval Crown Azure a Lion sejant also Or holding in the dexter claw two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper and two Lily Flowers all conjoined on one stem proper, mantled Gules doubled Or.

Motto 'SALUS POPULI SUPREMA LEX' - The welfare of the people is the most important law.
Granted 23rd July 1976.

The Borough of Eastleigh was formed by the amalgamation of the former Borough of Eastleigh and part of the Winchester Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

eastleigh bc arms

The Bishop's mitre refers to the connection of the Bishops of Winchester with Bishopstoke, and the two sheaves of corn, like those in that arms of the Winchester RDC, symbolise the rural and agricultural nature of the Borough. The two narrow black bands represent railway lines and recall the historical importance of railways in the old Borough. They also reflect the cablemaking activities of another of the town's large employers. The black and white chequered strip, as in the arms of the former Borough of Eastleigh, recalls that Eastleigh was once a Manor held by the Chamberlains of the Royal Exchequer. The winged wheel in the centre signifies the theme of progress and transport. The ship represents the shipbuilding and yachting activities at Bursledon and Hamble-le-Rice.
The intertwined lilies and roses at the top of the crest indicate the union of the two former parts of the Borough. The roses are Hampshire roses and the lilies represent St Mary, the patron Saint of the churches at Bishopstoke and South Stoneham. The lion is a traditional beast in coats of arms, and the naval crown records the Borough's naval connections.


EXETER CITY COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Sable a Castle triangular and triple-towered Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Sable a demi Lion Gules ducally crowned and holding between the paws a Bale [Or banded Azure] surmounted of a Cross botonnée Gold.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Pegasus Argent crined and unguled Or the wings [elevated] barry wavy of six of the first and Azure
BADGE: In front of two Swords in saltire points upwards Or a Tudor Hat Gules emboidered Gold.

Motto 'SEMPER FIDELIS' - Ever faithful.
Arms confirmed, crest and supporters granted 6th August 1564. Badge granted 16th October 1906.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

exeter city arms

The lion is that of Richard, Earl of Cornwall, who was elected King of the Romans, in token of which the lion bears an orb. Richard was granted the City and Castle of Exeter, by Henry III, as an appendage to the Earldom of Cornwall. The castle in the arms is that called Rougemont, and possibly the red field is an allusion to its name. The supporters and waves probably refer to the River Exe.
The motto was suggested by Elizabeth I in a letter addressed to the Citizens of Exeter in 1588 in recognition of a gift of money towards the fleet that defeated the Spanish Armada.


FAREHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL (HANTS)

ARMS: Sable on Water barry wavy in base proper a Lymphad Or the flags Argent charged with a Cross Gules on a Chief of the third a Pale between two Roses of the fourth barbed and seeded also proper charged with as many Keys in bend wards outwards the upper of the third the lower of the second and interlaced with a Sword in bend sinister also of the third pomel and hilt also of the second.

Motto 'PREST A FAIRE' - Ready to act.
Granted 15th July 1947 to the Fareham UDC.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

fareham bc arms

The black background refers to Fareham's association with industry, which formerly included ironworks. The golden ship represents the town's ancient prosperity as a port, a shipbuilding centre and as an anchorage for the Royal Navy before the days of ironclad ships. The keys and sword are derived from the arms of the See of Winchester, and recall that Fareham was in the past part of the endowment of the See and was formerly part that diocese. The keys and sword, being emblems of SS Peter and Paul, also refer to the dedication of the parish church. The rose is that of Hampshire and symbolises the County's former Lancastrian association and its grant by John of Gaunt.


MID DEVON DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent four Barrulets wavy Azure on a Pale Gules a Crosier entwined with a Branch of Oak Or on a Chief Gules a Castle of two towers between two Garbs Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a demi-Lion Azure holding between the paws a Woolpack charged with a Cogwheel proper.
BADGE: In front of a Crosier erect a Castle of two towers Or.

Motto 'FIDE ET INDUSTRIA' - By faith and industry
Granted 26th October 1975.

The Mid Devon District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Tiverton, the Crediton Urban District, the Crediton Rural District and the Tiverton Rural District.

mid devon dc arms
mid devon badge
Badge

The background of white and blue waves indicates the rivers of the District. The 'chief' across the top and the 'pale' down the middle, are both coloured red for the Devon earth. The gold stylized castle is suggested by that in the seal of the Borough of Tiverton and the two gold wheatsheaves indicate agriculture; together they denote the former Borough and Rural District of Tiverton. The gold crosier alludes to St. Boniface of Crediton, the 8th Century Bishop who was so influential in Germany and France in establishing order in the Church. He is said to have cut down a huge oak tree sacred to Thor, and the oak is associated with him in sacred art. His episcopal staff is therefore shown entwined with a golden branch of oak, also in gold, and this is also a reference to the rural area around Crediton.
The blue lion is that of the Redvers Earls of Devon, one of whom, Richard, built Tiverton Castle in the early 12th Century. The woolpack is from the Borough seal, and is indicative of the importance of the woollen industry in this area in earlier times, as examplified by the 'Tiverton kersies'. The steel cogwheel is for modern industry and engineering.
The motto is appropriate to a district rich in notable churches and the home of St. Boniface, and recalls the themes of the crest.


NEW FOREST DISTRICT COUNCIL (HANTS)
Link to New Forset DC Web Site

ARMS: Vert a stag's head caboshed between the attires an arrow point downward surmounted by a stirrup all Or on a chief wavy argent an ancient ship sail furled issuing proper.
CREST: On a wreath of the colours, in front of an oak tree fructed proper a sea-lion sejant azure resting the dexter foot upon an anchor erect Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a New Forest pony proper and on the sinister side a boar argent armed crined and unguled Or each charged on the shoulder with a spring of broom palewise flowered proper.
BADGE: On an oval vert a stag's head caboshed between the attires an ancient ship as in the arms all Or.

Motto 'OLD YET EVER NEW'.
Granted 22nd September 1976.

The New Forest District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Lymington, the New Forest Rural District and part of the Ringwood and Fordingbridge Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

new forest dc arms
new forest badge
Badge

The green background, stag's head, arrow and verderer's stirrup-iron are all from the arms of the New Forest RDC. The wavy edge of the 'chief' is like that in the arms of the Ringwood and Fordingbridge RDC and the ancient ship is from the seal and arms of the Borough of Lymington. The shield thus represents the union of Forest and maritime areas.
The oak tree shown here in its natural colours is from the arms of Ringwood and Fordingbridge RDC and the blue sea-lion is from the Lymington crest - derived from the Redvers lion with a fish tail, but without the wings, which it had in the original crest. The gold anchor suggests the activitites of the Port of Lymington.
The New Forest pony is derived from the pony's head in the crest of Ringwood and Fordingbridge. The white boar is that of the Courtenays, anciently Lords of the Manor, which also supports the Lymington arms. The sprigs of broom are a reminder of the extensive heathlands of the forest area.
The motto is that of the former New Forest RDC.


PLYMOUTH CITY COUNCIL (UA) (DEVON)

ARMS: Argent a Saltire Vert between four Towers Sable.
CREST: Issuant from a Naval Crown Azure a Lion's Gamb erect Or grasping an Anchor fessewise Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion reguardant Or gorged with a Naval Crown Azure pendent therefrom by a Riband Gules a Torteau charged with a Boar's Head couped Argent.

Motto 'TURRIS FORTISSIMA EST NOMEN JEHOVA' - The name of the Lord is our strongest tower.
Arms recorded at the Visitation of 17th October 1620. Crest and supporters granted 4th May 1931.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

The cross is that of St. Andrew to whom the Mother Church of Plymouth is dedicated, and the four turrets recall those which formed the corners of the Castle Quadrate which stood above the Barbican commanding the entrance to Sutton Pool.
Following the incorporation of the two neighbouring towns of East Stonehouse and Devonport in 1914, and the elevation to a City in 1928, a crest and supporters were added to the historic arms in 1931.
The naval crowns and anchor are taken from the arms of the former County Borough of Devonport, and represent the part which the Royal Navy has played in the life of the City. Devonport contained the most important Royal Naval Dockyard of the then British Empire.
The lions are national symbols, and were previously used without authority to support the shield. The red medallion on the shoulders of each supporting lion bears a silver boar's head based on the arms of the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe and representing Stonehouse which they held as a manor.
The heraldry of Plymouth thus includes emblems of the 'Three Towns'. The motto is usually translated as in Proverbs, and most probably refers to events of the Siege of Plymouth, 1642-6.

plymouth city arms

POOLE BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (DORSET)

ARMS: Barry wavy of eight Sable and Or a Dolphin naiant embowed Argent langued Gules on a Chief wavy of the third three Escallops of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Mermaid proper supporting with her dexter hand an Anchor cabled without a beam proper and in her sinister hand a Pellet.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter a Lion holding a Sword erect proper and on the sinister a Dragon supporting an Oar Argent upon a Compartment per pale a grassy Mound proper and Water barry wavy Azure and Argent.

Motto 'AD MOREM VILLAE DE POOLE' - According to the custom of the Town of Poole.
Arms recorded (without tinctures and with variations) at the Visitations of 1563 and 1623. Arms confirmed and Crest granted 19th June 1948. Supporters granted 1976.

poole arms

The basic design of the arms, but with many variatons in colouration, date back to the late 1300's, where they appeared on an old seal. The arms therefore predate the order of King Henry V in 1417 which forbade the bearing of arms without authority from the Crown and the setting up of the College of Arms in 1484. In the year 1563 an official from the College of Arms visited Poole, and confirmed the coat of arms which had been in use prior to that date without apparent authority. In 1623 there was a Visitation of Dorset by the Heralds and the arms were then drawn again but not in colour. It was only in 1948 that a written description of the arms was confirmed by the College of Arms, clearing up and explaining the many variations in the colouring or tinctures of the blazon in the intervening centuries and authorising the crest, incorporating a mermaid, which had been used without authority for about 200 years.
The wavy black and gold bars typified water and the dolphin "the king of the sea", just as the lion represents "king of the beasts". The dolphin reminds us of Poole's maritime interests, which was the town's chief source of prosperity from early times down to the middle of the 19th century. The three scallop shells are the symbol of St James and associated with the shrine of Santiago de Compostela reputed burial place of St James, apostle of Jesus Christ. St James is the Patron Saint of the Parish Church in the Old Town of Poole. Poole was one of the places from which people could take ship for the long and dangerous journey across the Bay of Biscay to the port of Corunna and so on to Santiago de Compostela. One theory of their black colouration is that pilgrims, like tourists today, value souvenirs and especially prized were the works of the Spanish azabacheria the craftsmen who carved scallop shells from azabache - jet. Since 1976 the dolphin has been depicted naturalistically rather than heraldically.
The mermaid is of course another maritime reference. The pellet in the mermaid's left hand may represent a cannon ball and in the right a cable and anchor which also calls to mind Poole's maritime past.
The gold lion holding a long sword represents William Longespee, Lord of the manor in 1248 who granted the town's first charter. The dragon is derived from the royal arms of Elizabeth I, as depicted on the "Great Charter" of 1568. The royal dragon is coloured red, but that granted to Poole was altered to gold for heraldic difference. The dragon holds a silver oar. This is part of the civic regalia of the Mayor of Poole, representing his additional title "Admiral of the port of Poole". The supporters added to the arms was a gift to the town by Lord Murton of Lindisfarne, the then Rt Hon Oscar Murton OBE TD JP MP, Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons, to commemorate his period of service as a Councillor and MP for Poole from 1964.
The Latin motto comes from the town's 1568 Great Charter.


PORTSMOUTH CITY COUNCIL (UA) (HANTS)

ARMS: Azure a Crescent ensigned by an Estoile of eight points Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on a Mural Crown proper a Sea Lion sejant guardant Or murally crowned and tailed proper the dorsal and caudal fins Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Sea Lion guardant Or murally crowned and tailed all proper the dorsal and caudal fins Or on the sinister side a Sea Unicorn Argent armed crined and unguled Or the tail proper the dorsal and caudal fins Or gorged with a Naval Crown Or affixed thereto by a Ring and reflexed over the back a representation of 'The Mighty Chain of Iron' which defended Portsmouth Haven in the sixteenth century Sable each supporting between the forelegs a Staff proper flying therefrom a Banner of the Arms fringed Or.
BADGE An Anchor and a Sword the quillons Or and hilt Gules in saltire surmounted by a Hurt charged with a Crescent ensigned by an Estoile of eight points Or.

Motto 'HEAVEN'S LIGHT OUR GUIDE'.
Arms recorded at the Visitation of 1686. Crest, Supporters and Badge granted 1970.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

portsmouth city arms
portsmouth badge
Badge

The golden star and crescent on a blue backgound have been the City's arms for 800 years. There are various theories about their origin but it is likely that the device was copied from the arms of William de Longchamp, Lord Chancellor to Richard I at the time of the granting of the Town's first definite Charter on 2nd May 1194.
The sea lion and sea unicorn are a maritime version of the Royal Crest and Supporters. A rare privilege, reflecting Portsmouth's long association with the Crown. The unicorn wears a naval crown and a mighty chain of iron, which is a pictorial representation of the chain boom, which, from Tudor times, stretched from the Bound Tower, Old Portsmouth, to Fort Blockhouse, Gosport, as a protection to Portsmouth Harbour. The mural crowns are civic emblems and also refer to the land defences which surrounded Portsmouth from Elizabethan times to 1862.
The motto was registered in 1929, it is that of the Order of the Star of India and of the old indian troop ships which embarked their passengers at Portsmouth.


RUSHMOOR BOROUGH COUNCIL (HANTS)

ARMS: Tierced in pairle reversed Gules Azure and Or in the first two Swords in saltire points upward Argent hilts Or in the second a Key ward downward enfiled of an Astral Crown Or in the third a Rose Gules charged with another Argent both barbed and seeded proper.
CREST On a Wreath Or and Gules two Fern Leaves in saltire proper between two Roses Or barbed and seeded proper.
SUPPORTERS: To the dexter a Lion rampant guardant Gules gorged with a Mural Coronet pendent therefrom a Mullet Or to the sinister a winged Lion rampant Gules gorged with an Astral Crown pendent therefrom a Latin Cross Or.

Motto 'STRENGTH IN UNITY'
Granted 7th August 1975

The Borough of Rushmoor was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Aldershot and the Farnborough Urban District.

rushmoor bc arms

The crossed swords depict the Borough's close association with the Army and the key encircled by an astral crown signifies the connection with the Royal Aircraft Establishment. The rose is the Hampshire Rose, the emblem of the County.
The fern leaves and roses are similar to those in the crest of the Farnborough UDC, where they referred to the derivation of the placename.
The lions are similar to the supporters of the arms of the Borough of Aldershot, although the right hand lion now has wings to denote the Borough's association with aviation. The Latin cross is from the crest of Farnborough and the mullet from the crest of Aldershot.


TEIGNBRIDGE DISTRICT COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Azure on a Saltire Argent another engrailed Gules over all a Mitre affrontée enfiled by a Crosier in pale Or on a Chief Argent over two Barrulets wavy in base Azure a representation of a Devon Clapperbridge of three spans throughout proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of two Palm Trees a Black Swan close naiant proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Dartmoor Pony and on the sinister side a Grey Mare each gorged with a Garland of Heather proper pendent therefrom a Tau Cross Or and resting the interior hind hoof on a Devon Tor the whole upon a Compartment of Moorland proper.
BADGE: On a Sun in splendour Or over Water barry wavy of four in base Azure and Argent a representation of a Devon Clapperbridge as in the Arms.

Granted 11th July 1976.

The Teignbridge District was formed by the amalgamation of the Ashburton Urban District, the Buckfastleigh Urban District, the Dawlish Urban District, the Newton Abbot Urban District, the Teignmouth Urban District, the Newton Abbot Rural District and part of the St. Thomas Rural District.

teignbridge dc arms
teignbridge badge
Badge

On the white 'chief' is a typical Dartmoor 'clapper' bridge over two blue waves, indicating the name Teignbridge. The crosses, mitre and crosier are emblems taken from the devices of Newton Abbot UDC, Buckfast Abbey, Ashburton UDC and Teignmouth UDC, which recall the considerable part played in the District's history by the See of Exeter, Torre Abbey and Buckfast Abbey. The white St. Andrew's cross on blue is from the seal of Ashburton, whose manor was held by the Bishops. The red cross is from the device of Teignmouth, which is thought to derive from the arms of the Exeter Diocesan Treasurers. The gold crosier is like those in the arms of Buckfast Abbey and the device of Newton Abbot, thrust through the gold mitre from the latter, which recall the tenure of the town by the Abbots of Torre.
The crest typifies the seaside areas of Dawlish and Teignmouth. In front of two palm-trees, which are plentiful in both towns and indicate the beneficent climate, is the well-known Dawlish black swan. The swan and palm-tree are used as a motif by the Dawlish Hotels and Caterers' Association.
The supporters symbolize the Rural Districts of Newton Abbot and St. Thomas. On the left is a Dartmoor Pony, representing the National Park and Forest common to both districts. On the right is the world-famous "Tom Pearce's Grey Mare". Each, for necessary differentiation from other supporters, has round the neck a garland of heather for the moorland, suggested by the sprig of heather in the pony's mouth in the crest of the County Council. The gold Tau cross give the initial T.
The 'compartment' represents the moorland of the district, with a typical Tor.


TEST VALLEY BOROUGH COUNCIL (HANTS)
Link to Test Valley BC Web Site

ARMS: Vert a Pale cotised all wavy Argent over all a Trout leaping to the dexter proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Mural Crown Gules a Mount Vert thereon between two Stalks of Wheat leaved and issuant in front of a Crosier erect the head to the sinister Or a Lion statant guardant Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Hart Royal Or gorged with a Riband Vert pendent therefrom by a ring Argent a circular Torse Argent and Vert enclosing an Oak Tree throughout and on the sinister side a Hart Royal proper gorged with a like Riband pendent therefrom by a like ring a circular Torse Or and Gules enclosing a Portcullis throughout chained Or.
BADGE: A Trout leaping to the dexter proper enfiling a Mural Crown as in the Crest.

Motto 'DEO TESTE VALEAMUS' - With God as our witness, let us be strong.
Granted 15th May 1977.

The Borough of Test Valley was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Andover, the Borough of Romsey, the Andover Rural District and the Romsey and Stockbridge Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

test valley bc arms
test valley badge
Badge

The broad white wave and the two narrow ones represent the River Test and its tributaries, together with the brown trout, they symbolise the name and character of the Test Valley.
The mural crown from the crest of the Borough of Romsey, is a common civic emblem and the red lion upon a grassy hill is from the arms of the Borough of Andover. The crosier from the arms of Romsey, refers to Romsey Abbey and in the wider context, to other monastic foundations in the area. The two stalks of wheat represent the two former Rural Districts.
The golden 'hart royal' (a stag with twelve points) is from the Andover crest and the 'torse' of green and white, is in the Andover colours. The oak tree from the Andover shield is also appropriate to the Andover Rural District. The other hart is from the Romsey arms, its 'torse' of red and gold is in the Romsey colours. The gold portcullis is from the ancient seal and the arms Romsey. This was also used by the Romsey and Stockbridge RDC.


TORBAY BOROUGH COUNCIL (UA) (DEVON)

ARMS: Azure a Lymphad Or flying Flags and Streamer of St. George sail argent pendent from the masthead by a Cable Or the Beams and Stocks of four Anchors conjoined in cross Gules on a Chief enarched Or a Mural Crown Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Crosier erect Or between two Dolphins heads downward and outward Azure finned Or all enfiled through a Horseshoe Argent.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Sea-Lion proper head and mane Gules and pendent from a Cable about the neck proper a Tau Cross Or.
BADGE: On a Fountain four Tau Crosses conjoined in cross the whole encircled by a Cable proper and murally crowned Gules.

Motto 'SALUS ET FELICITS' - Health and happiness.
Granted 12th March 1968 to the Torbay CBC.

torbay bc arms

The background of blue with the curved 'chief' of gold suggests the shape of Torbay and its sea and sands. The mural crown is familiar in civic arms as a symbol of local government, its red colour indicates that of the Devon earth. Here, it is shown with four crenellations, and suggests Torbay constituting one civic authority comprising four formerly separate ones. The gold lymphad, refers to the many current and historical marine activities at Torquay, Paignton, Brixham and on the River Dart at Churston Ferrers, but particularly in Torbay proper. The ship bears the ancient St. George flags and streamers signifying associations with the Navy at various periods. Hanging from the masthead is a unique device representing the union of four marine authorities - a cross composed of the beams and stocks of four anchors, each limb resembling the letter T.
The basic colours of the wreath, blue and gold, allude to sea and sands of Torbay. Blue is one of the livery colours of the arms of the Borough of Torquay and of Paignton UDC and also prominent in the unofficial arms of Brixham UDC, whose blue and gold livery recalls, in the colours of the arms of Nassau, the historic landing of William III at Torbay. The crosier is one of the three from the arms of Torre Abbey, whose gateway is seen in the Torquay shield. The dolphins, from the crests of Brixham and Paignton, represent the pleasure of the seaside and its activities. The horseshoe refers to Churston Ferrers and is from the arms of the Ferrers family
The sea-lions are derived from the sea-lion which is one of the supporters of the arms of the County Council. Its leonine part is red like that of the lion in the County arms and those of certain families connected with local history. Each has a cable round the neck from which hangs a Tau cross, resembling the letter T for Torbay and resembling in sound, when anglicized, the syllable 'Tor'.


WEST DEVON BOROUGH COUNCIL

*ARMS: Quarterly Gules and chequy Or and Azure on a Pale wavy Argent between in the first quuarter a Fleece Or and in the fourth quarter a Tower Argent a Pallet wavy Azure.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or Gules and Azure a Mount Vert thereon a Dartmoor Pony passant supporting with the sinister foreleg a Branch of Oak fructed proper.

Motto 'CRESCIT SUB PONDERE VIRTUS' - Manliness grows out of adversity.
Granted ?

The Borough of West Devon was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Okehampton, the Okehampton Rural District and the Tavistock Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

west devon bc arms

The fleece on a red background is from the traditional arms of Tavistock, and is emblematic of the wollen trade which contributed largely to the prosperity of the area during the 15th and 16th centuries. The tower refers to the Castle of Okehampton, and the 'pale' with its three sections to the three main rivers that run through West Devon.
The crest represents Dartmoor and the woodlands of the area, the pony links to the crest of the County Council.
The motto is one used by the old Tavistock Grammar School.


WEST DORSET DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Gyronny Vert and Gules a Saxon Cross per saltire and quarterly Argent and Or.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent Vert and Gules a Sea Wyvern sejant Argent winged Or grasping in the dexter paw an Ostrich Feather palewise also Argent penned Gold; Mantled Vert doubled Argent.
SUPPORTERS On either side a Sea Wyvern Argent winged and gorged with a Saxon Crown Or the Compartment composed of Graded Pebbles proper
BADGE: A Sea Wyvern sejant Argent winged Or grasping in the dexter paw an Ostrich Feather palewise also Argent penned Gold

Motto 'SERVICE WITH HONOUR'.
Granted 1990.

The West Dorset District was formed by the amalgamation of the Borough of Bridport, the Borough of Dorchester, the Borough of Lyme Regis, the Sherborne Urban District, the Beaminster Rural District, the Bridport Rural District, the Dorchester Rural District and the Sherborne Rurual District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

west dorset dc arms
west dorset  badge
Badge

The shield is divided into eight pieces representing the three former boroughs and one urban district (red) and the four former rural districts (green) which were combined to create the new District Council in 1974. The Saxon Cross symbolizes the ancient kingdom of Wessex, a name which is synonymous with the novels of Thomas Hardy. The four points of the cross represent the four ancient monastic foundations of Abbotsbury, Cerne, Forde and Sherborne.
The sea wyverns are appropriate to a district which was once the centre of the Kingdom of Wessex (whose kings used a golden wyvern as their emblem) and with traditional maritime associations. They are gorged with Saxon Crowns as are the dragon supporters in the arms of the Dorset County Council. The Ostrich feather quill pen refers to both Thomas Hardy and William Barnes and is an incidental allusion to the west Dorset estates of the Duchy of Cornwall, two such feathers occuring also in the arms of the Duchy.
The compartment of graded peebles is a representation of Chesil Beach.


WINCHESTER CITY COUNCIL (HANTS)

ARMS: Gules five Castles triple towered in saltire Argent masoned proper the Portcullis of each part-raised Or and on either side of the castle in fess point a Lion passant guardant that to the dexter contourné Gold.
BADGE: Upon a Mount Vert a Castle triple towered Argent masoned proper in the portal a Portcullis part-raised Or and on the towers a Lion passant guardant Gold.

Arms recorded at the Visitation of 1686, transferred and badge granted 1985.

The City of Winchester was formed by the amalgamation of the former City of Winchester, the Droxford Rural District and part of the Winchester Rural District.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

winchester city arms
winchester badge
Badge

The earliest example of the arms is in a late 15th-century window in the Westgate. The castles and Royal Lions or "Lions of England" suggest a derivation from the Common Seal of 1253, consisting only of a single triple-towered castle, and the Statute Merchant Seal of 1283, comprising the bust of Edward I between two castles and a single Royal Lion. Winchester, the ancient capital of England, continues therefore to use its arms in the original form and has never sought to add a crest, a motto or supporters, which emblems were not in use for towns at the time when Winchester's arms originated.


TOWN AND PARISH COUNCILS

AXMINSTER TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Per saltire Gules and Azure an Orb between in fesse two Battle Axes erect the blades inwards and in base a Shuttle all Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Mount Vert a Minster proper.

Motto 'STEADFAST AND FAITHFUL'.
Granted 10th November 1945, to the Axminster Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

axminster tc arms

The field and orb are from the arms attributed to King Athelstan, and the battle-axes refer to the Battle of Brunanburgh in 938, after which Athelstan endowed the Church at Axminster with lands so that prayers might be offered up for the souls of his earls who had been slain. The axes are also a play on the name. The shuttle refers to the carpets which take their name from the town where they have been made since 1755.
The crest symbolises the ancient minster round which the town grew up.


BARNSTAPLE TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Gules a Castle of three towers conjoined Argent the centre tower larger than the others.

Motto 'FIDES ET JUSTITIA'.
Recorded at the Visitation of 1620 for the Borough of Barnstaple.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

barnstaple tc arms

Barnstaple Castle was built by Jehull of Totnes in the reign of William the Conqueror. The town is said to have been fortified by earthworks as early as the time of Athelstan.


BIDEFORD TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Argent over Water barry wavy in base a Stone Bridge of three arches proper masoned Or issuant from the centre arch an Ancient Ship the mast appering behind the Bridge also proper on a Chief Gules three Clarions Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Azure an Elizabethan Ship in full sail proper the centre sail charged with a Clarion Or.

Motto 'PRO REGE AC FIDE AUDAX'-
Bold for King and faith.
Granted 12th September 1936 to the Borough of Bideford.

Do not reproduce without permission from Bideford Town Council.

bideford tc arms

The arms are a comination of the Grenville arms and the old Borough seal, dated 1577, on which was depicted the stern of what is probably a barge passing through an arch of the bridge. Sir Richard Grenville was a native of Bideford, whose last fight in the Revenge, and the part played therein by 'men of Bideford in Devon' was nobly sung by Lord Tennyson.
The Elizabethan ship recalls Bideford's age-long connection with ship-building and the maritime trade.


BUDE-STRATTON TOWN COUNCIL (CORNWALL)

ARMS: Argent two Bars wavy Azure within a Bordure Sable bezantée on a Chief Gules a Cross formy of the field between two Clarions Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Sun in Splendour Or and upon a sinister Hand couped at the wrist and gauntletted a Falcon belled proper collared compony Argent and Sable.

Granted 11th September 1947, to the Bude-Stratton Urban District Council.

bude stratton tc arms

The border derives from the arms of the Duchy and County of Cornwall and the two blue waves denote the town's coastal situation, and also refer to the probable derivation of Bude from a British river name. The silver background alludes to the family of Blanchminster, and the clarions are from the arms of the Grenville family. The cross formy is taken from the shield of Sir John Berkeley, who was created Baron Berkeley of Stratton for his part in the battle of Stamford Hill in 1643.
The gauntlet and falcon are the crest of the Acland family, who in 1939 presented their cliff lands to the public, its collar is derived from their arms. The sun stands for the District's reputation as a health and holiday resort.


BUDLEIGH SALTERTON TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Gules upon Water in base barry wavy Argent and Azure an ancient one-masted Ship with two sails furled Or flying from the mast a Pennon and from the stern a Flag of St. George on a Chief Or three Billets also Azure the centre one charged with two Keys in saltire wards upwards Gold and the other two each charged with a Lion rampant also Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Beacon Sable enflamed proper a Griffin segreant Or resting the dexter claw upon an Escutcheon Gules charged with five Lozenges conjoined in bend Argent and in fesse point a Martlet Sable.

Motto 'BEAU SEJOUR'-Have a beautiful stay.
Granted 15th December 1959, to the Budleigh Salterton Urban District Council.

budleigh tc arms

The red background represents the red cliffs of Devon rising out of the sea and the ship to the long seafaring history, in particular the former Budley Haven, on the right bank of the River Otter, which in former times operated freely as a port and handled a large amount of trade.
The shield supported by the griffin show the arms of Sir Walter Raleigh, who was born at Hayes Barton, a farm some three miles from the town. Budleigh Salterton is the setting for the painting "The boyhood of Rayleigh" by Millais which hangs in the Tate Gallery. The beacon doubtless refers to West Down Beacon, where Devon's red cliffs rise steeply to some 500 feet.


BURNHAM-ON-SEA AND HIGHBRIDGE TOWN COUNCIL (SOMERSET)

ARMS: Per chevron Or and Argent on a Chevron enarched Gules three Bulls' Heads caboshed also Argent in base as many Bars wavy Azure a Canton per fesse Gules and Sable in chief a demi Sun issuant Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a representation of the old Burnham Lighthouse proper; Mantled Gules doubled Or.

Motto 'LUMEN MONSTRO PRO SALUTE' - A great light to greet you.
Granted 1st February 1961, to the Burnham-on-Sea Urban District Council.

burnham and highbridge tc arms

The gold background reprsents the sands of Burnham and the red enarched chevron represents the former "high bridge", which gave its name to the town of Highbridge. The bulls’ heads refer to the market and other agricultural interests and the alternate blue and white wavy bars alludes to both the River Brue at Highbridge and the sea at Burnham. The setting sun is a further reference to Burnham.
The crest shows the Burham Low Lighthouse built in 1832, to which the motto also refers.


CALNE TOWN COUNCIL (WILTS)

ARMS: Sable a Tower towered and domed Argent between two Ostrich Feathers of the last a like Feather in the portway each Feather piercing an Escrol Or.
CREST: A Mural Crown ensigned by a Mitre Or jewelled proper in front of two archiepiscopal staves in saltire also proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Boar Gules armed and crined Or gorged with a Garland of Teaze1s Argent.

Motto 'FAITH WORK SERVICE'.
Arms recorded at the Visitation of l565. Crest and Supporters granted 10th November 1950.

calne tc arms

The feathers of the Heir Apparent refer to the fact that Calne was formerly part of the Duchy of Cornwall.
The ecclesiastical emblems in the crest recall a disastrous meeting in AD 978 when St Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury met the Witenagemot in order to justify his controversial Church reforms, which involved the secular priests being replaced by Benedictine monks and the influence of landowners over churches on their lands being taken away. According to legend, at one point Dunstan called upon God to support his cause, at which point the floor of the two-storey building collapsed killing most of his opponents, whilst Dunstan and his supporters were in the part that remained standing. This was claimed as a miracle by Dunstan's supporters. The incident was recorded in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle thus, "All the oldest counsellors of England fell at Calne from an upper floor; but the holy Archbishop Dunstan stood alone upon a beam. Some were dreadfully bruised, and some did not escape with life."
The boars represent Calne's pork processing industry that once dominated the town. It is said that the industry developed because pigs reared in Ireland were landed at Bristol and then herded across England on drovers' roads to Smithfield, London, passing through Calne. The teazles refer to the former woollen broadcloth industry in the 18th century. Evidence of this can be seen on The Green, where many buildings remain, such as Georgian era clothiers' houses and some of the 20 original cloth mills along the River Marden. St Mary's parish church was built by the generous donations of rich clothiers and wool merchants in the 15th century.


CLEVEDON TOWN COUNCIL (SOMERSET)

ARMS: Or on a Pile reversed flory at the point Sable between in chief two Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper a Lion rampant reguardant of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Mount Vert a Hill cleft at the summit proper.

Motto 'VIGILATE ET ORATE' - Watch and pray.
Granted 14th August 1933, to the Clevedon Urban District Council.

Used with permission. Not to be reproduced without permission.

clevedon tc arms

No further information available.


CREWKERNE TOWN COUNCIL (SOMERSET)

ARMS: Or a Lion rampant Azure between three Torteaux on a Chief Ermine a Pale Sable thereon three Swords in pile points down­wards proper pommels and hilts of the first.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from a Wreath of Flax flowered proper the Mast of a Ship also proper at the masthead a Pennon of St. George the Sail hoisted Gules charged with a Cross Moline Or within a Bordure Argent Guttée de Sang.

Motto 'KEEP FAITH'.
Granted 1st June 1949, to the Crewkerne Urban District Council.

crewkerne tc arms

The blue lion is from the arms of the Redvers Earls of Devon, and the red roundels from those of the Courtenays. The swords are from the arms of the Earls Poulett, seated in the neighbouring village of Hinton St George, and influencial in the town. The ermine stands for the town's royal associations.
The flax represents the rope industry and the sail refers to yachting and sail making. Many of the ships in the navy had sails made in Crewkerne. The cross moline is from the arms of Agnes de Monceaux, who founded Crewkerne School, and the drops of blood allude to St. Bartholomew, to whom the parish church is dedicated.


CRICKLADE TOWN COUNCIL (WILTSHIRE)

ARMS: Ermine a Bend wavy Azure on a Chief Vert a Horse courant to the sinister Argent.

Motto 'IN LOCO DELICIOSO' - In a delightful place.
Granted 2nd April 1948, to Cricklade Parish Council.

cricklade pc arms

The shield is ermine for Ermin Street or Ermin Way, one of the great Roman roads of Britain. The blue wavy bend is River Thames, which crosses the Roman Road at Cricklade.
The white horse refers to the characteristic local chalk hillside horses.


DARTMOUTH TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Gules on Water barry wavy in base proper an Ancient Ship issuant from the centre thereof the Figure of a King robed crowned and holding in his sinister hand a Sceptre on the bow and on the stern of the ship a Lion sejant guardant that to the dexter contourné all Or.

Recorded as a seal device (untinctured) at the Visitation of 1620; confirmed by Kings' of Arms Certificate 31st January 1951.

dartmouth tc arms

The arms are based on an ancient seal of the former Corporation. The figure is believed to be Edward III, who granted the town a charter.The arms bear a general resemblance to his gold noble, in which he is represented as 'Lord of the Sea'; and the are a reminder that Darmouth provided ships for his French wars. On the seal and in some representations of the arms, a crescent and star are placed either side of the king's head. These were originally crusading emblems, and are thought to refer to the fact that Richard I's host sailed from Dartmouth for the Holy Land.


DEVIZES TOWN COUNCIL (WILTS)

ARMS: Per pale Gules and Azure a Castle in perspective the whole forming a hexagon the front triple-towered the two outer towers domed all Or each dome ensigned by an Estoile Sable.

Recorded at the Visitaion of 1665, for the Borough of Devizes.

devizes tc arms

The castle refers to that erected by at Devizes by Roger, Bishop of Salisbury, in the reign of Henry I, resulting in the town's development. Matilda made the castle her headquarters during the war with Stephen; and in the Civil War of the seventeenth century it was a Royalist stronghold, and was captured by Cromwell and dismantled.


EXMOUTH TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Argent two Anchors in saltire Gules between four Fish naiant Azure on a Chief of the last ten Ancient Ships in full sail five and five of the field.
CREST: Issuant from a Mural Crown Argent and between two Magnoliae grandiflorae Exmouthiensis proper a Tower Or thereon a Flagstaff proper flying therefrom to the sinister a Flag also Argent charged with a Cross Gules; Mantled Azure doubled Argent.

Motto 'MARE DITAT FLORES DECORANT' - The sea enriches and the flowers adorn.
Granted 12th February 1947, to the Exmouth Urban District Council.

exmouth tc arms

The anchors, being naval emblems, indicate the town's association with the Royal Navy and the fish denote the town's connection with the fishing industry. The ten ancient ships in full sail commemorate the fact that in 1346 ten ships and 193 seamen were contributed from Exmouth to the fleet which, under Edward III, set out for the siege of Calais.
The mural crown is a common civic emblem and the tower or fort commemorates the fact that in 1646 a fort at the mouth of the Exe was defended from 7th February to 15th March, when on account of naval pressure the defenders had to surrender to Colonel Shapcote with 13 pieces of iron ordnance, 72 muskets, and 12 barrels of powder. The fort flies the banner of St George and on each side is depicted the flower and leaves of the magnolia; this commemorates the fact that Sir John Colleton, Bart (who died in 1754, is buried at Withycombe Raleigh School Burial Ground, and was the owner of Rill Manor), grew this beautiful flower at Exmouth for the first time in England, and called it Magnolia grandiflora Exmouthiensis.


FALMOUTH TOWN COUNCIL (CORNWALL)

ARMS: Argent a double-headed Eagle displayed Sable each wing charged with a Tower Or in base issuant from Water barry wavy proper a Rock also Sable thereon surmounting the tail of the Eagle a Staff also proper flying therefrom a Pennon Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Chaplet of Oak proper fructed Or a representation of the ancient Falmouth Packet Boat in full sail proper.
SUPPORTERS: On either side a Lion guardant Or crowned with a Royal Crown of the seventeenth century proper the dexter holding in the interior forepaw an Adze and the sinister in the like paw a Pin Maul also proper.

Motto 'REMEMBER'.
Crest and supporters granted by Royal Licence 7th March 1961, to the Falmouth Borough Council. Exemplified 20th June 1961.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

falmouth tc arms

The arms are based on the previous seal, which had been used until the granting of the town’s own arms in 1961 – 300 years after Falmouth had been granted its charter by King Charles II in 1661. The eagle is from the arms of the Killigrew family, which bore a black eagle on silver within a bordure of Cornish bezants on black. The family held the Manor of Arwenack of which the hamlets of Smithick and Pennycomequick formed part. The two gold towers represent the defences of the estuary or Carrick Roads – the forts at Pendennis and St Mawes, built in Tudor times to safeguard the harbour. The rock and pole, with red pennant flying, stand for the Black Rock, on which former rectors of Falmouth were allowed by Act of Parliament to keep a pole flying a red flag to warn ships of the danger. The rectors, for this service, received sixpence for every decked ship that came into port. The water at the base stands for the River Fal and the sea.
The chaplet of oak commemorates the time when King Charles I hid in an oak tree after the defeat of his forces at the Battle of Worcester during the English Civil War in 1651. The Falmouth Packet ship, resplendent in full sail, recalls the mail packet service which was in operation between 1688 and 1852.
The two lions are adorned with 17th century Royal crowns are a reference to King Charles II’s gift of charter. The adze and pin maul, which are shipwright’s tools, represent the local shipping industry.
The motto “Remember” was the last word spoken by King Charles I at his execution to the Bishop Juxon. This word to Falmouth means to remember the English Civil War, the siege of Pendennis, the Restoration, the Charter of 1661 and the building of the parish church – dedicated to King Charles the Martyr.


FROME TOWN COUNCIL (SOMERSET)

ARMS: Sable on a Chevron between in chief two Sallow Trees and in base a Teazle slipped Or a Chevron Ermine.
CREST: Out of a Saxon Crown Or a demi Dragon wings elevated and addorsed Gules supporting a Crozier Gold.

Motto 'TIME TRIETH TROTH'.
Granted 14th August 1953, to the Frome Urban District Council. Transferred by Order made 21st May 1974.

frome tc arms

The black background is common to the arms of both the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers and the Leversedge family. From the arms of the former the ermine chevron and the teazle are taken, while the gold chevron comes from the Leversedge arms. The ermine also refers to the field of the arms of Bishop Ken. The Clothworkers' shield has on occasion been used to represent Frome on account of the great cloth industry which has characterized the town so long. The Leversedge family held the manor in Tudor times, Henry VII granting to Edmund Leversedge rights to fairs. The two sallow trees refer to Selwood "Sallow-wood" in allusion to the great forest whose name was formerly joined to Frome.
The gold Saxon crown recalls the importance of Frome as early as 934, due largely to the foundation of Bishop Aldhelm's monastery two hundred years earlier. The Saxon associations are further typified by the Wessex Dragon from the County arms and supports a gold crozier in allusion to the Abbey of Cirencester, to which the Church of St. John the Baptist was granted in 1133.


GREAT TORRINGTON TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Argent in base two Bars wavy Azure over all a Fleur-de-Lys Sable all within a Bordure engrailed of the last.

Granted 14th April 1948, to the Great Torrington Borough Council, in place of the Arms confirmed 6th September 1564 and recorded at the Visitation of 1620 which differed from the above in that all the charges were Sable.

great torrington tc arms

The arms based on the device on a fifteenth-century seal of the Corporation, were confirmed by the heralds in 1564. The wavy bars refer to the River Torridge and the fleur-de-lis was probably derived from the Royal Arms. The engrailing of the border is traceable to decorative work on the seal.


MARLBOROUGH TOWN COUNCIL (WILTS)

ARMS: Per saltire gules and azure, in chief a bull passant argent armed Or, in fesse two capons, and in base three greyhounds courant in pale of the third collared of the first; a chief also Or, thereon on a pale of the second between two roses gules a tower triple-towered argent.
*CREST: On a Wreath Or Gules and Sable upon a Mount Vert in front of a tower triple-towered argent a Rose Gules barbed seeded slipped and leaved proper.
*SUPPORTERS: On either side a Greyhound Argent gorged with a Collar Gules chaged with three Roses Argent barbed and seeded proper.

Motto 'UBI NUNC SAPIENTIS OSSA MERLINI' - Where now are the bones of wise Merlin.
Recorded at the Visitation of 1565 together with the ancient coat (identical with the pale in the modern arms). Crest and supporters granted in 1974?

marlborough tc arms

The emblems in the arms are said to be 'in commemoration of the duty and homage heretofore said and done (time out of mind) by the burgesses and community to the mayor for the time being, his aldermen and brethren of the said town, at the receiving of the oath by any burgess by them admitted, at which time they do present to the mayor a leash of white greyhounds, one white bull and two white capons'. The original arms were a silver tower on blue; these appear in the chief of the present arms.
From about 1836 the tower crest and greyhound supporters were sometimes previously used unofficially, but were officially granted when the arms were transferred to the Town Council.
The motto refers to a legend that College Mound in the town is Merlin's burial place.


MELKSHAM TOWN COUNCIL (WILTS)

ARMS: Per pale Azure and Vert a Fesse dancette Argent in chief an Ancient Crown Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a Cogwheel proper a Stag's Head affrontée Gules attired Argent.

Motto 'UNITY AND PROGRESS'.
Granted 6th December 1948, to the Melksham Urban District Council. Transferred by Order made 16th April 1975.

melksham tc arms

The blue and green of the background represents the River Avon and the surrounding countryside, and the fess dancetty suggests both the bridge and the downs, while also forming the initial letter of the town's name. The crown refers to the fact that Melksham was part of the royal domain and a hunting-ground of the Norman and Plantagenet kings.
The stag's head alludes to the old forest lands and the cog-wheel represents modern industries.


NEWQUAY TOWN COUNCIL (CORNWALL)

ARMS: Or on a Saltire Azure four Herrings respectant Argent.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Block of Granite ringed a Bollard perched thereon a Cornish Chough all proper.

Motto 'RO AN MOR' - Gift of the sea.
Granted 4th June 1951, to the Newquay Urban District Council.

newquay tc arms

The herrings represent the fishing industry, the granite block stands for local stone, the bollard alludes to the harbour, and the Cornish chough is the County emblem. The motto is in the Cornish language.


NORTHAM TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Or on a Base of waves of the Sea and Pebbles an ancient three masted Ship proper the mainsail set Argent charged with an Apple Tree couped above the root Vert fructed of seven Apples Or pennons fying Silver each charged with a Cross Gules on a Chief Vert two Lions passant guardant Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath Or and Vert a demi Lion rampant Gules holding in the paws an Escallop Argent the Lion between two Wings addorsed Ermine.

Motto 'CONCORDIA VINCIT'.
Granted 5th March 1963, to the Northam Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

northam tc arms

The shield represents the whole district in its three parts - Northam, Appledore and Westward Ho!. The 'chief' represents Northam, with its green background typifying the wide open spaces of the village and especially the Royal North Devon Golf Club, identified by the golden royal lions referring to the patronage of King George VI. The two lions are also a reference to the granting of the Manor of Northam by William I to the Abbey of St. Stephen at Caen in Normandy, whose arms included the two lions. The ship upon a golden background, resembles those of Elizabethan times, and recalls the ships that sailed from Bideford Bay to fight the Armada. Many of these were built and and manned at Appledore, where shipbuilding is still carried on and where, as in the days of the Armada, vessels of the Royal Navy were prepared for assault on the enemy. The heraldic apple-tree with its apples of gold "d' or" is a pun on the name Appledore. The seven apples are a fanciful reference to the saying that "an apple a day keeps the doctor away" an indirect tribute to the healthiness of the district. The apple-tree is also a reference to the district and ward of Orchard Hill. The pebbles refer to the well known pebble ridge, identifying Westward Ho!.
The gold and green of the wreath are symbolic of the landward parts with their grass and gorse, and of the golden sands. The red lion with a scallop shell comes from the arms of the Leighs, and the ermine wings from the crest of the Burroughs, two families connected with the area's history. In secondary symbolism, the red lion from the Devon arms is shown offering the seaside amenities represented by the scallop shell and flanked by raised wings alluding to the healthy breezes.


PENZANCE TOWN COUNCIL (CORNWALL)

ARMS: Argent a Paschal Lamb proper in base a Mal­tese Cross Azure on a Chief embattled of the last between two Keys in saltire wards upwards Or and a Saltire couped Argent a Plate charged with a Dagger point downwards Gules.
CREST: Within a Mural Crown Or an Ancient Ship with three masts in full sail sinking by the stern and with guns firing all proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Pirate holding in the exterior hand a Cutlass and on the sinister side a Fisherman holding over his exterior arm a Net all proper.

Motto 'QUOD IMPROBUM TERRET PROBO PRODEST' - To the dread and terror of the bad and to the reward of the good.
Granted 12th June 1934, to the Penzance Borough Council.

Picture thanks to Laurence Jones.

penzance tc arms

The Paschal Lamb stands for Penzance and Gulval, and was derived from the 'hot mark' on smelted tin used by the family of Bolitho which for many years had smelting works in Gulval parish. The keys of St Peter, sword of St Paul and saltire of St Andrew represent the parishes of Newlyn, Paul, and Mousehole, while the Maltese cross stands for Heamoor and Madron because the Knights of St John of Malta had a chapel there. The parishes that made up the Borough are thus all symbolised.
The vessel in the crest is intended for a pirate ship sinking into the crown of St Anthony, who erected a chapel on the site of the present St Anthony Gardens.
The ship, pirate and the fisherman, similar to one of the supporters of the Cornwall County Council, refers to the town's maritime associations. The ship and pirate also refer to the fame brought to the town by the comic opera, The Pirates of Penzance, by Gilbert and Sullivan. The motto is extracted from the town's charter of 1614, which prescribes that Penzance shall be 'a vill of peace and quietness, to the dread and terror of the bad and to the reward of the good, and that our peace and other acts of justice and good government there may be the better kept and executed'.


ROMSEY TOWN COUNCIL (HANTS)

ARMS: Quarterly Gules and Sable a Pastoral Staff in pale head to the sinister surmounted of a Portcullis chained Or.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Gules four Ears of Wheat and as many Ears of Barley alternately Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion queue fourchee ducally crowned Or supporting between the forelegs a Staff proper flying therefrom a Banner Argent charged with two Pallets Sable and on the sinister side a Hart Royal proper attired unguled and gorged with an ancient Crown Or and supporting between the forelegs a like Staff flying therefrom a Banner Azure charged with two Pallets wavy Argent over all a Mayfly proper.

Motto 'QUAE RECTA TENE'.
Granted 15th June 1959, to the Romsey Borough Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

romsey tc arms

Much of Romsey' s ancient history is bound up with that of Romsey Abbey and the design of the Arms, i.e. the shield, refers simply to this fact and to the Borough's royal assaciations. The red in the quartered shield alludes to the latter; the black to the Benedictine Abbey. Displayed in gold upon this red and black field is a crosier (or pastoral staff) of an Abbess surmounted of a Portcullis, the emblem long used by Romsey Corporation as its Common Seal. To emphasise the civic status and dignity of Romsey, the Crest embodies a red mural crown masoned sable (colours of the field of the shield) out of which spring ears of golden wheat and barley alternately in reference respectively to Agriculture and to Brewing, the principal industry of the Borough. The dexter Supporter portrays, in compliment to Romsey's High Steward, Admiral of the Fleet the Earl Mountbatten K.G., the Hessian Lion supporting a Banner of the Mountbatten Arms: "Argent two pallets sable" The sinister Supporter depicts a Hart Royal, with antlers and hooves of gold and with an ancient crown about its neck, into which may be read some allusion toKing John's Hunting Lodge. The hart supports a blue banner chargedwith two white wavy pallets over which is set a Mayfly symbolising the River Test and its celebrated trout fishing. Below the shield on a scroll appears the Motto: QUAE RECTA TENE Hold fast that which is right


ROYAL WOOTTON BASSETT TOWN COUNCIL (WILTSHIRE)

ARMS: Gules a Chevron Argent between in chief two Lozenges and in base a Lion passant guardant Or.

Granted 30th August 2011.

royal wootton bassett tc arms

The town had long used unofficial Arms consisting of a chevron between three lozenges: the newly granted design adapts this by adding a Royal Lion to reflect the Royal favour accorded in recognition of Wootton Bassett’s role in recent repatriations of fallen servicemen and women.


SEATON TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)
Link to Seaton Web Site

ARMS: Azure a Lymphad sail furled Or flying Flags and Pennon of St. George between in chief two Dolphins haurient respectant Or on a Chief wavy Argent a demi Eagle issuant wings displayed Purpure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Saxon Crown Or a demi Lion Gules charged on the shoulder with two Crozier-Heads conjoined in the form of a letter S Or and holding on the paws a Unicorn's Head erased Argent.

Motto 'SEEK STRIVE ATTAIN'.
Granted 15th August 1967, to the Seaton Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

seaton tc arms

The blue background and wavy 'chief' combine to suggest the sea washing the pebble beach. The ancient ship refers to Seaton's early importance as a small port, and with the flags of St. George, to the contribution of the town to the English Fleet at Calais in 1346. The two dolphins indicate the ancient fishing industry and the modern seaside resort, the dolphins being a symbol of playful friendlyness. Two dolphins also supported the arms of the Trevelyan family, who were Lords of the Manor. The purple eagle alludes to the Roman history of Seaton, where a considerable site is thought to be a station of the second of Vespasian.
The Saxon crown refers to some of Seaton's earlist history. The red lion is from the arms of the County Council and also forms part of the traditional arms of St. Gregory, patron saint of the Parish. The unicorn's head is from the crest of the Head family, who were prominent in Seaton's development since 1607.


SIDMOUTH TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)
Link to Sidmouth Web Site

ARMS: Gules on Water in base barry wavy proper an ancient Galley in full sail oars in action Or on a Chief Argent a Cross couped of the first between two Fleur-de-Lys Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from Water barry wavy proper a demi Lion Gules holding between the paws a Sun in splendour Or.

Granted 24th October 1949, to the Sidmouth Urban District Council.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

sidmouth tc arms

The red background represents the red cliffs of Devon rising out of the sea and the galley to Sidmouth's long seafaring history. The red cross of St. George and fleurs-de-lys are from the arms of Edward, Duke of Kent, who had a house in the town, where his daughter the future Queen Victoria spent part of her childhood. the fleurs-de-lys also refer to the floral beauties of the town's gardens and pleasure grounds.
The red lion is from the arms of the County Council accompamied by symbols of the sea and sunshine.


TOTNES TOWN COUNCIL (DEVON)

ARMS: Sable upon Water in base Azure and between two Keys wards upward and outward a triple towered Castle the Portcullis raised and upon each outer tower a Banner all Argent.

Recored in this form at the Visitation of 1572, for the Borough of Totnes. Transferred by Order in Council 16th April 1975.

Picture used with permission, do not reproduce.

totnes tc arms

The device is a water gatehouse and seems to indicate the pride of the burgesses in the ancient importance of the Borough as a royal fortress. The Castle was founded by one Juhell, a Breton, shortly after the Norman Conquest.


TROWBRIDGE TOWN COUNCIL (WILTS)

ARMS: Or a Fleece Sable and Band Gules fimbriated Argent on a Chief also Gules a Mural Crown between two Garbs Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours out of a Circlet composed of six Arches of a Bridge Or a demi-Lion Gules tufted and queued Gold.

Motto 'RESPICE PROSPICE' - Look to the past and to the future.
Granted 5th December 1951 to the Trowbridge Urban District Council. Transferred by Order dated 16th April 1975.

trowbridge tc arms

The black fleece refers to the cloth industry and the wheatsheaves to agriculture. The mural crown represents local government.
The circlet in the form of a bridge refers to the place-name and the lion recalls that Trowbridge was a Royal Manor untill Henry VIII bestowed it on his brother-in-law, Edward Seymour.


TRURO CITY COUNCIL (CORNWALL)

ARMS: Gules a representation of an Ancient Ship of three Masts under sail Or in the Sea proper and in base two Fish naiant in pale also proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Miner habited and holding in the exterior hand a Pick its handle downwards all proper and on the sinister side a Fisherman habited and holding in the exterior hand a Coil of rope all proper.

Motto 'EXALTUM CORNU IN DEO' - The horn is exalted in God.
Arms recorded at Visitations of 1573 and 1620. Sup­porters granted 3rd November 1877.

truro city arms

The arms were used on the Common Seal and were duly entered as pertaining to the Borough of Truro at the Visitaions to Cornwall.
The supporters were granted upon the Borough's elevation to a City and like the supporters later granted to the County Council refer to the main industries of fishing and tin mining.


WARMINSTER TOWN COUNCIL (WILTS)

ARMS: Or a mounted Figure [riding] to the sinister in Armour brandishing a Sword in bend sinister proper his surcoat and shield Szure lined Gules the Horse Sable with bardings of the third lined with the second.

Granted 29th November 1948, to the Warminster Urban District Council. Transferred by Order made 21st May 1974.

warminster tc arms

The arms are based on an ancient seal in which the mounted figure was thought to repre­sent Mordaunt, first Lord of Warminster.


WELLS CITY COUNCIL (SOMERSET)

ARMS: Argent in base a Mount Vert thereon an Ash Tree proper between three Wells Gules; the Shield ensigned by a Mural Crown Or.

Motto 'HOC FONTE DERIVATA COPIA' - The fullness that springs from this well.
Granted 23rd August 1951.

wells city arms

The arms are based on unauthorized insignia previously used. The wells of course refer to the name of the City and the tree, seems to be derived from that on an old seal, which depicted a tree with a stream springing from its roots.
The motto is a shortened form of one formerly used, namely: Hoc fonte derivata copia in patriam populumque fluit - 'Wealth, drawn from this spring, flows forth unto our country and our people.' This is a paraphrase of a passage from Horace, Ode 6, Book III.


WESTON-SUPER-MARE TOWN COUNCIL (SOMERSET)

ARMS: Per Fesse Or and Argent in chief to the sinister a Setting Sun issuant Gules and in base a Lymphad also Gules on a quarter Sable a Castle of three Towers Silver.
CREST: On a Wreath Argent and Sable in front of a Lighthouse set upon a Rock a Seagull volant proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion guardant Azure collared Or pendent therefrom by a Chain also Or an Escutcheon Gules charged with a Chevron Argent between three Clarions Gold and on the sinister side a Wolf Argent collared Gules pendent therefrom by a Chain Or an Escutcheon Sable charged with a Fesse Ermine.

Motto 'EVER FORWARD'.
Granted 15th Janu­ary 1960, to the Borough of Weston-super-Mare.

Picture and information courtesy of Laurence Jones.

weston-super-mare tc arms
former arms
Former arms of the Borough.

Picture courtesy of Jim Openshaw.

The current arms replaced those granted on 9th August 1928, with crest and supporters granted on 6th October 1937.

Old Arms

The sailing ship, fish, fisherman, lighthouse and seagull refer to the sea and fisheries, and the setting sun denotes the west country and the spleandour of the evening skies. The tree is for the local woodlands, and the Ancient Briton recalls the Worlebury Camp.

New Arms

The white or silver castle on a black field refers to the expression used of Weston-super-Mare "fair white city by the Severn Sea". The red sun setting against a golden field refers to the exceptionally beautiful sunsets over the sea which interested the painter J. M. W. Turner. The ancient red galley alludes to the maritime trading in bygone days of the old Port of Hubba's Pill (now Uphill).
The lighthouse standing upon a rock with a seagull in the natural colours, flying in front of it typifies a seaside resort. This refers also to a distinguishing characteristic of Flat Holm, one of the two small islands, which form a prominent feature of Weston Bay.
The blue lion is from the crest of the Smyth family, and the wolf from the crest of the Piggott family, representing the association of the Smyth-Piggott family as lords of the manor since 1696. The red shield charged with a white or silver chevron between three golden clarions are the arms of the Arthur family, and black shield charged with a bar charged with ermine spots of black are the arms of the Winter family. These Arthur and Winter shields denote prior lords from 1216. The five white billets at the foot of the shield refer to Weston Woods encompassing an Ancient British hill fort.


YEOVIL TOWN COUNCIL (SOMERSET)

ARMS: Azure a representation of St. John the Baptist standing within a Doorway Or in his sinister hand a Torteau charged with a Paschal Lamb proper all between two Croziers turned outwards and each ensigned with an Ancient Crown Gold.
CREST: Out of a Saxon Crown Gold issuant from Flames proper a demi Bull Sable armed and unguled Or supporting between the hoofs an Escutcheon Azure charged with a dexter Glove appaumé Or; Mantled Azure doubled Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Lion Or gorged with a Collar Azure charged with two Spear Heads Gold pendent from the Collar by a Rope proper an Escutcheon per fesse Sable and Vert over all fretty Or and on the sinister side a Horse Or gorged with a like Collar pendent therefrom by a Rope proper an Escutcheon Argent with a Chevron between three Roses Gules barbed and seeded proper thereon.

Motto 'INDUSTRIA VIRTUTE ET LABORE' - By dilgence, courage and work.
Granted 23rd June 1954, to the Yeovil Borough Council. Transferred 1985.

yeovil tc arms

This achievement of arms was granted in 1954 to mark the centenary of Yeovil’s incorporation as a Municipal Borough.
The shield depicts Saint John the Baptist as shown on a 14th century town seal used by the town lord and his portreeve. The croziers represent the Bishopric of Bath and Wells and the Abbey and Convent of Syon whose abbess was town lord in the 15th and 16th centuries. The crowns above them are for the Empress Matilda who placed the eleventh century ‘tenement’ of Yeovil under the protection of the parish church of Saint John; and for King John who granted Yeovil a fairs and markets charter in 1205.
The Saxon crown refers to King Alfred the Great, owner of Kingston manor, while the flames it encompasses are indicative of devastating fires of medieval times. The bull, with golden horns and hooves, represents the agricultural and dairy industries - a reminder of the nature of livestock markets which contributed largely to the town’s growth. The golden glove on the small shield is symbolic of Yeovil’s one-time staple industry.
The supporters are derived from the arms of former manorial lords - the lion from the Earls of Arundel, and the horse from the Horseys of Clifton Maybank. The shields they wear display arms of Maltravers, Whitmore and those of Phelips of Montacute, their collars having elements from the arms of Harbin of Newton Surmaville.
The Latin motto's initials letters spell an early form of the town’s name - IVEL.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page