ALTRINCHAM BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure in chief two Garbs and in base a Cogwheel Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Lion passant guardant Or supporting with the dexter forepaw a Staff Gules the truck Gold flying therefrom a Banner Azure charged with a Cornucopia fessewise of the first the fruit proper.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Unicorn Ermine armed maned and unguled Or gorged with a Collar Gules pendent thereform by a Chain of the last an Escutcheon barry of six Argent and Azure and on the sinister side a Lion Or gorged with a Collar Gules pendent therefrom by a like Chain an Escutcheon quarterly Gules and Or in the first Quarter a Lion passant Argent.

Motto 'ALTRINCHAM EN AVANT'-Altrincham leads the way.
Granted 30th August 1937.

altrincham bc arms

The wheatsheaves and cogwheel refer to the agricultural and engineering industries, while the former are also County emblems.
The lion in the crest supports a banner symbolic of plenty, recalling the town's former motto, Pax et abuntantia.
The supporters stand for two great families of past and present importance in Altrincham's history. The unicorn is from the heraldry of the Earl of Stamford whose arms (for the family of Grey) hang from the collar. The lion, with the arms of Massey on its pendent shield, represents the old Barons of Dunham Massey, one of whom, Hamon de Massey, granted the town a charter in 1290.


BEBINGTON BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Per chevron Azure and Or in chief a Saltire couped Argent between two Garbs of the second and in base a Lymphad sail furled Sable flags flying to the dexter Gules.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours in front of a rising Sun Or a representation of the Bromborough Market Cross proper.

Motto 'CIVITATIS FORTUNA CIVES'-The fortune of the state depends on the citizens.
Granted 3rd January 1934, to the Bebington Urban District Council.

bebington bc arms

The wheatsheaves are County emblems and the ship is appropriate to a town with a frontage to the River Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal. The saltire is the emblem of St Andrew to whom the parish church is dedicated.
Prominant among the town's industries are Lever Brothers Limited at Port Sunlight, to which reference is made by the rising sun.


BIRKENHEAD COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Or and Argent on a Cross Gules between a Lion passant of the last in the first quarter an Oak Tree issuant from a Mount proper in the second an Estoile Azure in the third and two Lions passant in the fourth a Crosier in pale of the first and two Crescents in fesse of the second.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Rock proper in front of a Crosier erect Or a Lion Azure resting the dexter paw on an Anchor also Or.

Motto 'UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR'-Where there is faith there is light and strength.
Granted 28th August 1878.

Picture and additional information thanks to Graham Walker.

birkenhead cbc arms

The principal emblems were taken from the seals of the several local governing bodies of the townships amalgamated to to form the Borough of Birkenhead. The crosier or pastoral staff and the lion formed part of the seal of the 'Extra-Parochial Chapelry or Township of Birkenhead', the lion was derived from the arms of the Massey family; Hamon de Massey having in 1150 , founded the Benedictine Monastery to which the crosiers refer. The oak tree was the main feature of the Tranmere Local Board, the star (or perhaps starfish) is representative of Bebington and the two lions of Oxton. The crescents possibly represent the Laird family, which did much for the devolpment of the town.
The motto seeks to bring out the two ideas of religious sentiment and the union of four townships.


DUKINFIELD BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Quarterly Azure and Argent a Cross pointed and voided quarterly of the last and Sable between in the first quarter a Raven close proper and the fourth a Garb both Or.
CREST: Out of a Crown palisado Or a cubit Arm vested Azure cuff Argent hand proper holding an Escutcheon of the second charged with a Sun in splendour of the first between two Ostrich Feathers of the third.

Motto 'INTEGRITY'.
Granted 24th March 1900.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

dukinfield bc arms

The arms and crest are based upon the arms of the Dukinfield family. The raven is know locally as a docken is a rebus and the wheatsheaf is from the arms of the County.
The palisado crown is a symbol of civic government, an alternative to the more familiar mural crown. The feathers are from the heraldry of the Princes of Wales, Earls of Chester.


ELLESMERE PORT BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Gules on a Bar Argent a Barrulet Sable surmounted of a Pale also Argent thereon a Pallet Azure in the first quarter a Beaver in the second a Cornucopia inverted in the third a a Garb and in the fourth a Sickle all Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours on Water barry wavy a Lymphad sail set proper and charged with a Cogwheel Sable flags and pennon flying Gules.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Sea Horse and on the sinister side a Tabby Cat quardant both proper.
BADGE: On a Plate encircled by a Cable Or Water barry wavy in base thereon a Lymphad proper the sail set Argent charged with a Cogwheel Sable flags and pennon flying Gules.

Motto 'PROGREDIAMUR'-.
Arms, crest and supporters granted 6th October 1955. Badge granted 20th December 1963.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

ellesmere port bc arms
ellesmere port badge
Badge

The black horizontal line between silver borders symbolizes the oil pipes of the petroleum industry and the blue vertical line between similar borders represents the Manchester Ship Canal. The Beaver refers to industry and the wheatsheaf links to the traditional arms of the Earldom and County of Chester, while the cornucopia suggests prosperity.
The blue and white wavy lines symbolise the River Mersey, and the ancient ship denotes the Borough's status as a Port and its ancient maritime associations. The cogwheel is another symbolic reference to industry.
The Sea Horse is a further reference to the Borough's connection with the sea, while the symbolism of the tabby cat with its "Cheshire Grin" is self-evident.


HOYLAKE URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Vert two Golf Clubs in saltire heads downwards enfiled with an Ancient Crown Or between in chief a Fountain charged with an Anchour fouled Sable and in base a a Garb Gold two Flaunches barry wavy Argent and Azure.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Sandstone Rock an Oyster Catcher (Haematopus Ostralegus) rising proper.

Motto 'PRESPICE ET PROSPICE'-Look backward look forward.
Granted 1st November 1960.

hoylake udc arms

The shield, symbolises the District's position on the Wirral peninsula, with a green background between white and blue waves for the Mersey and Dee estuaries. The golf clubs and crown refer to the world famous Royal Liverpool Golf Links, founded in 1869. The anchor refers to the former importance of Hoylake as a port, in 1689 William of Orange sailed from here to Ireland to fight King James, culminating in the Battle of the Boyne. The sheaf links with the arms of the Cheshire CC.
The sandstone rock represents Hilbre Island and the Red Rocks and the oystercatcher is a bird seen in huge numbers on the Dee Estuary.


HYDE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure a Chevron nebuly Argent between three Lozenges Or on a Chief of the second a Flake erect surmounted by a Hatter's Bow in bend sinister between a Cog-wheel and two Miner's Picks in saltire therefrom suspended a Davy Lamp all proper.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon a Pack of Cotton Prints Azure banded and semée of Mascles Or a Sprig of the Cotton-tree slipped and fructed in bend sinister surmounted of a Shuttle furnished in bend proper.

Motto 'ONWARD'.
Granted 18th July 1882.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

hyde bc arms

The lower part of the shield is derived from the arms of the local manorial family of Hyde, suitably difference by change of tincture and nebuly treatment of the chevron. The other emblems refer to local industries.


RUNCORN URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on a Base barry wavy of four Azure and Argent a Lymphad proper flying Flags and Pennon of St. George and the sail also Azure charged with a Garb Gold on a Chief Gules two Flaying Knives in saltire proper handles Or between as many Fountains.
CREST: Out of a Mural Crown Gules a demi-Lion Sable crowned with an Ancient Crown and supporting an Abbot's Crozier Or pendant therefrom by the guige an Escutcheon also Gules charged with four Fusils conjoined in pale each fesswise Or.

Motto 'NAVEM MERCIBUS IMPLERE'-Fill the ships with goods.
Granted 30th October 1956.

runcorn udc arms

The gold background represents prosperity and commerce, with a base of four blue and white waves for the four waterways which have played so great a part in the life of the town at different times - the Mersey, the Bridgewater Canal, Manchester Ship Canal and Weaver Navigation. The ship upon the waves was suggested by the former device of the Council, which flies the ancient flag of England and has a wheatsheaf from the arms of the Cheshire CC, which also appears in the arms of the Cholmondeley Earls of Rocksavage. The red chief suggests other important industries - the old sandstone quanying industry and the fires of modern engineering plants. The two ancient flaying-knives, the symbol of St. Bartholomew, the patron saint of tanners, represent the leather industry and stand between two heraldic fountains signifying water, chemicals, brine and wells. The red chief stretching over the ship also suggests Runcorn's bridges.
The main colours of the mantling, blue and gold, are the Cheshire liveries and the red mural crown represents Runcorn Castle. The black lion is from the arms of the famous Savage family of Clifton and Rock Savage and is supporting a crozier for Norton Priory, from which hangs a shield of the arms of William Fitznigel, Baron of Halton in Norman times. The crown worn by the lion indicates the reversion to the Crown of the ancient Barony of Halton.
The motto is a classical quotation from Juvenal.


SALE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Azure on a Pile Argent between two Garbs Or three Lozenges Sable.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours upon the Battlements of a Tower Argent a Moorcock Sable combed a wattled Gules beaked and legged Or.
SUPPORTERS: On the dexter side a Unicorn Argent armed and unguled Or maned and tufted Azure and on the sinister side a Badger proper each gorged with a Wreath of Sallow Twigs also proper.

Motto 'SALUS ET FELICITAS'-Health and happiness.
Arms and crest granted to Urban District Council 23rd September 1920. Supporters granted to the Borough 15th August 1945.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

sale bc arms

The wheatsheaves are from the arms of the Cheshire County Council, and the lozenges are from the arms of the Massey family of Sale.
The moorcock refers to the district of Sale Moor.
The unicorn, suggested by the unicorn's head crest of the Carrington family, represents the Ashton-on-Mersey district of Sale, and the badger, or brock, is a punning allusion to Brooklands. The sallow twigs, and the first word of the motto, refer to the name of the Borough.


STALYBRIDGE BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent a Chevron engrailed Gules between two Crosses pointed voided in chief Sable and a Mullet in base also Sable pierced of the field with two Flaunches Azure each charged with a Cinquefoil of the field.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Garb Or in front thereof a Wolf statant Argent.

Motto 'ABSQUE LABORE NIHIL' - Nothing without labour.
Granted 18th June 1857.

stalybridge bc arms

The red chevron on silver is from the arms of the Staveley family, who anciently held the manor and from whom the town derives its name. The pointed crosses are from the arms of the Dukinfield family and the spur-rowel from that of Assheton. Both these families held land in Stalybridge and in the eighteenth century the heiress of the Dukinfields married into the Astley family, from whose arms the cinquefoils are taken.
The wolf and wheatsheaf represent the Earldom of Chester.


WALLASEY COUNTY BOROUGH COUNCIL

ARMS: Or on Waves of the Sea a three-masted Ship in full sail proper on a Chief Azure to the dexter three Garbs two and one of the first and to the sinister a Bugle-Horn proper stringed and garnished Gold.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours a Dolphin head downwards proper entwining a Trident erect Or; Mantling Or and Azure.

Motto 'AUDEMUS DUM CAVEMUS'-We are bold whilst we are cautious.
Granted 8th September 1910.

wallasey cbc arms

The Ancient Ship is taken as indicative of Wallasey's former importance in the shipping world, as in the Middle Ages she was a serious rival to Liverpool if not her superior in this respect. The three garbs or wheat sheaves on a blue field, are from the arms of the Earldom of Chester, taken on account of the position of Wallasey in the County, which position is more particularly indicated by the adoption of the bugle-horn. This represents the Horn of Wirral, indicating tenure by cornage, by which service the Lords of Wirral held the hundred, a form of feudal tenure which required the tenant to blow a horn giving notice of raids by the enemy. The Horn of Wirral is still in existence.
The dolphin and trident were adopted as being suitable for a maritime borough of the character of Wallasey.
The motto was thought to be especially appropriate to Wallasey, whose administrators have never shirked any bold policy, whilst at the same time they have carefully considered all the consequences before embarking upon their varied undertakings.


WILMSLOW URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

ARMS: Argent on a Bend between two Bendlets wavy Azure three Garbs Or.
CREST: On a Wreath of the Colours issuant from an Antique Crown Or enfiled round the base with a Wreath of Cotton proper a Bear's Head sable muzzled Gules charged on the neck with an Estoile Argent.

Motto 'NOBIS HABITATIO FELIX'-A happy dwelling place for us.
Granted 21st June 1951.

Picture thanks to David Hale, NSW, Australia.

wilmslow udc arms

The arms are based on those of the old family of Fitton - Argent on a Bend Azure three Garbs Or (derived from those of the Earldom of Chester). The wavy bends were added for difference and also allude to the rivers Bollin and Dean.
The bear's head is derived from the heraldry of the Beretons and the silver estoile is from the Handforth arms, a reference to the families that held the Manor of Handforth. The crown is from the insignia of the Greg family, who operated the earliest cotton mills at Styal, refered to by the wreath of cotton.


back to contents page
back to front page
back to index page